The Golden Rule

Discussion in 'Comparative Studies' started by 9Harmony, Jan 12, 2006.

1. 9Harmony

9Harmony goin' with the flow...

Hi there!

yep. if we could honestly abide by this one rule, peace would reign today. unfortunately ego's seem to get in the way. :confused:

Have a great day!

2. 9Harmony

9Harmony goin' with the flow...

One more Ubuntu: "I am what I am because of who we all are."

3. Eclectic Mystic

Eclectic Mystic Member

~Bump~

Does anyone see a significant difference in the following phrases:

"Do onto others as you would have done to you," and
    "Do onto others as they would have done onto themselves"?

4. Muslimwoman

Muslimwoman Coexistence insha'Allah

What a fabulous OP Harmony, thank you. My printer is churning as I type and my email is winging this off to everyone in my contacts list.

Unfortunately of course, we are human and humans are idiots of the first order. So if you look at the quote from Islam it says the word brother. Now sensible people know this means EVERYONE but you will always have groups that argue this just refers to people in our gang. What a sad bunch we are. G-d must be metaphorically tearing His hair out.

Salaam

5. paul

paul recovering sinner

I see a difference in the quotes.
    Some seem to say don't do unto others as we would not have done unto ourselves.

Which is good, but that's just not to do evil to anyone.

But some of the quotes are, do unto others as you would have done unto yourself.
    Which can be so much more.
    For that can be to love others and treat them as compassionately and kindly, and want as much good and happiness for them as we would desire for ourselves.

I like the quote, 'all asmuch as you would desire mankind to do unto you, do unto them, for is the Law and the Prophets.'

I think brother and neighbour were written for a reason.

I've even heared Mother Teresa say about it's easy to give money or food to someone far away, as with giving to charity.
    Sure it is compassionate, but it's not the same duty of love as living to those we meet in person, to those who are our neighbours and family, those we meet in our daily lives and live alongside, that's where I believe love is experienced at it's fullest and maybe takes more effort to truly put love into practice.

6. wil

wil UNeyeR1

Sure, the easy for instance...maybe you like bacon and eggs for breakfast, or you think pigs in a blanket, sausage links rolled in pancakes covered with syrup is just the best thing going...you'd love someone to fix that for you for breakfast....but a Muslim or a Jew would not have your enthusiasm.

So when our world has its various societal and personal norms and mores and nuances....not everyone would like done unto them as you'd like done unto you.

Despite this we Americans think the world should catch up to what we view as equal rights, labor regulations, democracy etc...and we gladly do unto them and don't see the arrogance in it.

7. Tao_Equus

Tao_Equus Interfaith Forums

Great OP indeed.

This one especially I found deeply beautiful:

Pacific Northwest Native:
    Humankind has not woven the web of life.
    We are but one thread within it.
    Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves.
    All things are bound together.
    All things connect.

Chief Seattle, 1854
    This IMHO, is a close to the uber-reality of existence as we can ever come. In the most profound sense we are all one and all conflict is truly self harm.
    Unfortunately, and contrary to my own idealism, 17th makes a very valid point. Conflict and aggression are irrefutably a required dynamic in the progression of life. The "love in" utopia, (how we paint our heavens), would be a static place, devoid of risk it would be interminably boring and mundane, unchanging. I do not think the human intellect could ever find happiness in such an environment.
    2500 years ago the ancient Greeks founded the Olympic games in large part to allow expression of this dynamic in man to compete and prove oneself against another without loss of life. We cannot hope to remove this fundamental drive but in the Olympics we have a first class example and model for just how we should go about ridding the world of the mass murder we call wars.

Tao

8. _Z_

_Z_ from far far away

tao, hi

i agree about sports.

ideally philosophy would not have any conflict in its final vision, that is to say that the duality which is there is the device to find the non duality at its centre and end [i.e. when the thought train is fully followed through].

is it though? does change have to be destructive or can it simply flow like numbers and patterns. most of our lives are filled with change that is not aggressive and entirely conflicting, it is only these things that can make it unbearable. in simple terms; do we have to have a bad thing to create a good thing?

in a state of oneness the soul would not be divided into its emotions and senses, thus you would not arrive in a state of feeling bored etc. the ‘human’ intellect would not exist. however for some kind of ‘heaven’ well, make love not war man :p.

9. Ciel

Ciel in essence

Tao,

And again...............

Love and peace as one, at one, are the foundation stones of creation.
    And we have the choice in this great utopia, to sit and watch the weeds grow between the dreamt ideal, or to continue building the reality, where one day a real home is formed from the constant aspiration of living and being in peace, supported by creative space, supported by our very selves who dare to dream into action.

God rocks gently to remove all obstacles....... but he sure rocks.

- c -

10. 17th Angel

17th Angel לבעוט את התחת ולקחת שמות

SEVENTEENISM
    "Don't piss on the prunes.... "(septi deci 17:8)

11. seattlegal

seattlegal Why do cows say mu?

"Do not practice what you hate." --Gospel of Thomas

12. taijasi

taijasi Gnōthi seauton

Timely bump, although ...

I do so despise advocacy by utilization of a double negative in the injunction!

Even when it's clear enough, it ends us taking us where we don't want to go ...
    ... only to say, "Don't go there!" [or, "Don't do *this*!]

Hence the comedy in the stoning scene from The Life of Brian. Jehovah, Jehovah, Jehovah ... :p

And thus the sound basis for the resolution of the Mosaic Code into:

Love thy God ~
    Love thy neighbor as thy self

:)WORD

13. seattlegal

Love can mean different things to different people. Is "Don't let your passion ravish your compassion" acceptable? ;)

14. taijasi

taijasi Gnōthi seauton

I guess varying advice for folks of varying temperaments.

Those who had regressed to the practices of the cult of Apis ... clearly needed the negatives of the Mosaic emphasis. "You guys are doing *this stuff* again; DON'T do it!" :D

From bull to ram [Lamb], that sorta thing ...

Given what's going on in the world today, I don't think you have to look very far to see things we can speak out against ... so long as we know what we're speaking FOR. You know: Problem vs. Solution

Your follow-up [above] seems a little better, as it kinda shows the undesirable - fanaticism, zealotry - on the one hand, contrasted with the Ideal - Compassion, Loving-Kindness, Agape - on the other. :)

15. seattlegal

Yatha aham tatha ete
    yatha ete tatha aham"
    attanam upamam katva
    na haneyya na ghataye.

"As I am, so are others;
    as others are, so am I."
    Having thus identified self and others,
    harm no one nor have them harmed.

Buddhism: Nalaka Sutta--Sutta Nipata