Asking about Danish newspaper cartoons of Mohammed

iBrian

Peace, Love and Unity
Veteran Member
Reaction score
There's a discussion about the issue of the Danish newspaper cartoons of Mohammed in the politics board - but I'd like to ask for Muslim members here about the issue.

Namely, I'd like to ask:

1. How much about the story are you aware of?
2. What are your personal feelings about the Danish newpapers for printing them?
3. Do you feel the protests that resulted in the burning of Danish embassies in Syria and Beirut went too far?
4. Do you personally think that Western media makes biased decisions about what it considers Free Speech, and what it considers offensive?

Simply looking for some personal opinions on the issue.

I'm aware of most of it.

2. What are your personal feelings about the Danish newpapers for printing them?

I think a they are sick Racist.

3. Do you feel the protests that resulted in the burning of Danish embassies in Syria and Beirut went too far?

No

4. Do you personally think that Western media makes biased decisions about what it considers Free Speech, and what it considers offensive?

Yes

Yaqinud Din said:

I'm aware of most of it.

I think a they are sick Racist.

No

Yes

Do you personally think that Middle Eastern media makes biased decisions about what it considers free speech and what it considers offensive?

Just curious.

v/r

Q

I said:
There's a discussion about the issue of the Danish newspaper cartoons of Mohammed in the politics board - but I'd like to ask for Muslim members here about the issue.

Namely, I'd like to ask:

Simply looking for some personal opinions on the issue.

Hi
I'm very interested to answer your questions here :

I aware of it in specific details as most of muslims people in the world,,

It is the most sad event ever happened in the world,,they represent our prophet Mohammad in bad jeerior caricateire ,,the man who taught us how to love people ,,how to feel with them ,, how to forgive them ,,he is the man who cried and prayed to our God Allah to help humanity to forgive all people in this world to guide them to the light way .

Maybe ,,But we should note that While those people do this bad thing ,,Muslims never do similar behaviour to our lover prophet Jesus peace upon him...because Islam exhorted us to believe and to love him.

Yes ,, also I want to clarify one point , They are always represent Muslems in bad picture and write aggressive assay also produce abusive films about their characters ,,Muslims don't like that but they never have this angry reaction ,,but now they encroaching of our prophet mohammad who we love more than ourselves .

peace

Quahom1 said:
Do you personally think that Middle Eastern media makes biased decisions about what it considers free speech and what it considers offensive?

Just curious.

v/r

Q
Hi/Quahom1

Yes ,,but not as you think about,,Because our Religion must have a red line no one can pass it,,, we are religious societies,,our religion (Islam) represent our identity..it doesn't represent theoretical thoughts or ordinary actions ,,it is way of life .
as the same time we have political bias .

peace :)

Hi All,

Do you think that the violent reactions which have resulted from this will impact how muslims are viewed?

Is this violence condoned by all muslims or only certain sections of the muslim community?

Will there be repercussions as a result of the violence?

I've put an article regarding this topic in another forum but i'll add something extra here after it. First the article:

The below article is relevant to the discussion and shows the double-standards of the danish newspaper in question.

Danish paper rejected Jesus cartoons

[font=Geneva,Arial,sans-serif]Gwladys Fouché
Monday February 6, 2006

[/font]
Jyllands-Posten, the Danish newspaper that first published the cartoons of the prophet Muhammad that have caused a storm of protest throughout the Islamic world, refused to run drawings lampooning Jesus Christ, it has emerged today.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/international/story/0,,1703501,00.html

=========
This robert Fisk article should put some things in perspective as well.
http://www.counterpunch.org/fisk02062006.html
=========
Someone i know sent this:
When Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad said that the Holocaust was a myth, we in the west didn’t call it free speech. It was very clear to us that such talk is hate and a form of inhumanity worthy of condemnation.

There was no confusion, no hesitation. We didn’t call it free speech when in Dec 2002 David Ahenakew (former aboriginal leader) made the statement that “Hilter was right to fry 6 million people”. He was condemned by the media, all sorts of public officials and a RCMP investigation followed. We called it by its real name ...... hate.

But, when a cartoonist from Denmark decides to draw a cartoon demeaning 1.5 billion people in the world we suddenly have confusion, discussion and a debate about the value of free speech versus being offensive.

===============

Do you think that the violent reactions which have resulted from this will impact how muslims are viewed?
Not Muslims, but certain nationalities will be viewed differently because of their actions.
Is this violence condoned by all muslims or only certain sections of the muslim community?
There is no rioting of the Muslims in the United States...
Will there be repercussions as a result of the violence?
What do you think? People are injured and/or dead, property is destroyed, death threats have been issued. The target of the angry people have been told that they will be destroyed by the angered ones.

This isn't good, and those instigating the violence don't seem to care...

v/r

Q

Many thanks for the replies - very much appreciated, especially as I appreciate that it's a subject easy to get heated up about.

thipps said:
Iwe suddenly have confusion, discussion and a debate about the value of free speech versus being offensive.

Seculalism and Christianity have a long history together in the West, so the boundaries between what is and is not acceptable between them have been long tested and developed.

Because secularism hasn't really had an interested relationship with Islam until recently, those boundaries have been neither tested nor developed.

So in a way, Western society doesn't know how to deal with Islam as yet, especially with respect to issues such as Blasphemy versus Free Speech.

However, now the issue has been raised, I think it's fairly certain that we'll see some boundaries finally defined in the near future.

The UK has already been trying to push through laws to prevent religious hatred, which could well have covered this issue and helped define it in a legal sense for the UK at least.

I said:

All of it.

They are arrogant and proud because they don't want to humble themselves and apologise. And ignorant for publishing the caricature.

Yes.

Yes.

Freedom of insults v/s Freedom of Expression
In Article 20, the Human Bill of Rights calls for the:
prohibition by law of … any advocacy of national, racial or religious hatred that constitutes incitement to discrimination, hostility or violence
(right after providing for freedom of opinion and expression in Article 19).

Thus any Nation failing to respect this provision
is indeed placing itself beyond the basic expectations required from civilized societies.

ahmistry said:

Freedom of insults v/s Freedom of Expression

In Article 20, the Human Bill of Rights calls for the:
prohibition by law of … any advocacy of national, racial or religious hatred that constitutes incitement to discrimination, hostility or violence
(right after providing for freedom of opinion and expression in Article 19).

Thus any Nation failing to respect this provision
is indeed placing itself beyond the basic expectations required from civilized societies.

I guess that makes every nation on earth except for maybe the Vatican, guilty.

Must Westerners in Muslim countries respect Muslim ways of living and believing ?
Yes, of course.

Must Muslims in Western countries respect our traditions of free speech and free thinking ?
Yes, they must.

Muslims are offended by the Muhammad cartoons. Do they realise that Westerners are also offended by Muslim mores ?
I am not the only person permanently offended in my dignity as a human being by veiled Muslim women.

I said:

All of it.

I said:

for the newspaper... i feel how much they are mainly racist.. i don't beleive in the claim of "the freedom of expression for two reasons..

First :

Second:
http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exeres/673B08C4-547A-467A-966F-F235268E2727.htm

i don't support these burning.. it's just an expected result for the growing anger and for the refuse of apology.. if Muhammad pbuh was jew.. would these news paper still alive?? :)

Actually, YES . Look at this again

Friend said:
It is the most sad event ever happened in the world,,they represent our prophet Mohammad in bad jeerior caricateire ,,the man who taught us how to love people ,,how to feel with them ,, how to forgive them ,,he is the man who cried and prayed to our God Allah to help humanity to forgive all people in this world to guide them to the light way .

I guess I wasn't paying much attention to this when I read it, and I thought that the answer above was given in response to the third question:

I thought to myself, 'Yes! This is one who sees the truth in religion!'

... pretty disappointing when I matched up the answers to the right questions.

Sarah

m.HABIB said:
All of it.i don't upport these burning.. it's just an expected result for the growing anger and for the refuse of apology.. if Muhammad pbuh was jew.. would these news paper still alive?? :)

Actually, YES . Look at this again
[URL="http://www.guardian.co.uk/international/story/0,,1703501,00.html"]http://www.guardian.co.uk/international/story/0,,1703501,00.html[/URL]

I don't see Americans or British or French or Italians burning anyone's flag, let alone chanting "Death"..

And apoligise for what? The same kind of cartoons that have been coming out of the Arabic papers for decades? (against anyone but Islam).

Oh, it is ok for an Arab/Muslim paper to do such, jut not anyone else?...

Arrogance, is not the western world's prehention. The middle East taught us well...

Not the middle east, but merely a few renegades? You tell them that.

v/r

Q

I'd leave this one alone...I am honest and not making others feel any better or worse than they feel...

pharma4ever said:
if u don't wanna believe in islam
why u don't wanna leave islam?
why ur terrorism wanna make jokes about God and prophets??

I do not have a problem with Islam. I grew up in an Islamic Neighborhood for 20 years. We never had a problem, like the problems we are seeing today. People joke about Christian God and "prophet" everyday, and we (I) do not get violent over it. Why would a Muslim feel the need to get violent over a joke?

All it is really, is showing the Muslim world that some non Muslims have bad taste, and should be ignored.

I think Allah and the prophets are much bigger than Human jokes. In otherwords, names and jokes can't hurt them. Why should we let them hurt us?

my thoughts

v/r

Q

Back