The Elder Brothers of Humanity

taijasi

Gnōthi seauton
Reaction score
My interest in starting this thread is to provide some background, history, and an overview of what esotericists call `The Masters,’ or The Elder Brothers of Humanity. My hope is that I might elicit interest and discussion on the Masters, since it is one of the most important subjects in human conversation of the past 150 years … or ever, imo.

First off, a simple definition, which I think most esotericists, including Theosophists (a small subset of esoteric students) would agree with:
A Master is a being who is ahead of the rest of Humanity in his or her spiritual standing, representing and embodying for us the highest ideals of Human Perfection. The purposes of the Masters include the constant aiding in the regeneration of Humanity, its spiritual and intellectual as well as psychic guidance, and in general the ceaseless labor for the greatest Good for the greatest number. Technically, not all Masters are directly involved with Humanity, since their Highest Purpose is always to serve God, where `God’ is conceived of in the broadest possible terms, while accepting that this also means a definite spiritual Purpose. Some Masters take students, and such Teachers can be found in a physical body, if required. Other are not incarnate within the physical world. Regardless, it can be shown that from time to time members from their ranks, or their disciples, enter the outside world publicly in order to inspire mankind with their teachings.
The idea of the Masters goes hand in hand with other familiar esoteric teachings, including those on karma and rebirth, life after death, the spiritual constitution of man (etheric, astral, mental, & spiritual bodies), the seven energy centers/chakras, the Seven Rays, and the central importance of a life of purity & self-discipline, including study, meditation & service as being the most effective & efficient path of spiritual progress. It is taught that if the spiritual path is faithfully & arduously trodden to its natural conclusion, the attainment of Mastership is a guaranteed result, and also the end of the Journeyrelative to our Purpose for incarnation on this planet.

Mastership, is said to begin the Way of Higher Evolution, being the closing of the door to earth, yet the opening of a door to worlds which as of now, remain for us – inaccessible. It is also clear that one does not necessarily need to attempt to hasten one’s spiritual evolution in order to attain to Mastership. The Goal is in fact, our Destiny, but esoteric teachings specify that at the present time (as I think we call all plainly attest!), our planet is in dire need of spiritual servers (from within the ranks of Humanity itself!), and could benefit immensely from those who might be willing to make the personal sacrifice necessary, and undertake the hastening of their own spiritual development … for the sake of Humanity at large. And this is precisely what a Master has done, giving his pledge of discipleship many lifetimes ago, presumably thousands of years.

The Masters can be assumed to be out of the reach of the merely inquisitive, and quite safe from those solely out to debunk, but they are also historical figures … some having a physical body, and can be found, from time to time, traveling among us through normal means. For example, it is known that there are two Masters incarnate in northern America, one incarnate in England, one in central Europe, one in India, and one in Russia. These Masters are completely unknown to the average esoteric student, while a dozen or so more may be quite familiar.

The technical term, of which Master is really a sub-set, is Adept. This refers to those who have attained to a certain degree along the spiritual path, and only those adepts who accept pupils are technically Masters. The reason for the choice of the word Adept, is simple enough:
Adept - a highly skilled or well-trained individual : EXPERT (from the Latin adeptus – attained)
And this definition means, esoterically, that such an individual has thrice mastered the art and processes of living in the outward world … in their entirety. He has mastered them physically, he has mastered them astrally (emotionally), and he has mastered them mentally (intellectually). Further, he has completely freed himself from any and all limitations that most of us know of under the heading of selfishness, greed, desire, or materialism. To these accomplishments, the adept has added, for his normal operating modes of awareness, the Higher qualities of Spiritual Intellect, Unconditional Love, Spiritual Oneness, and Divine Empowerment. In short, he has attained to the pinnacle of Spiritual Evolution, and has at his disposal all of the Divine attributes which we normally ascribe to `Deity.’ Literally, he is a God on Earth, but certainly this does not suggest that he is the incarnation of Highest Deity!

Yet ... in outward appearance, a Master will differ in no wise from the ordinary individual, except that his spiritual “charge” is tremendous. To come into contact with him unbidden, could easily result in death or psychic disaster, such is the spiritual voltage which he normally carries. Only those accustomed to his vibrations, or carefully prepared for an encounter, could safely contact him. Do not look for him in Wal-Mart! :p

Everything an Adept does is an example of Divine efficiency, and his very existence upon our planet – his continuing reincarnation or presence here, is itself the embodiment of Divine Love & Compassion, whilst also an expression of Divine Purpose. If he has gathered students around him, the Master will quite possibly live in a country setting, or on the outskirts of a city, in a community with his pupils. They will very likely be unknown in their relationship with him, to the outside world, and any intrusion upon the Master’s privacy would be extremely inconvenient. The Masters do not go about shouting their messages, for this would attract only the most undesirable of results. The Masters do not seek devotees, nor do they need a following. They appeal to our intellect, and it is their present goal to help stimulate the Spiritual Intuition, or the Inner faculty of Divine Knowing, present within us all, yet undeveloped. Only thus will Humanity learn to Love and live together harmoniously, as mature stewards of this planet.

Not all adepts are originally from our planet, nor have all that have attained, remained. A handful of souls have already reached liberation and moved on, there is a small & set number of Adepts that compose the Spiritual Hierarchy, or Inner Brotherhood, of our world. The number provided in recent teachings – is 63, including the Christ, who is said to stand at the Headof the Adept Hierarchy. Being the Eldest Brother among the Hierarchy - the Master of Masters, the Christ is known by many other names, in both East and West, according to the various religions.

For millions of years, since the founding of the Spiritual Hierarchy on this planet, there have always been Adept Teachers to guide our evolution. Never forcing Humanity’s hand, but always honoring our Free Will, the Masters seek students who have already committed to a life of spiritual service through many incarnations of persistent effort. As the mind of the aspirant begins to awaken to the world of spiritual realities, it is seen by the Masters in the Inner Worlds as a point of light that begins to increase in its luminosity, and in quality of vibration. The Master is capable of knowing one’s thoughts and one’s heart at a moment’s notice. We may safely rest assured, that if we are nearing readiness to travel the path of discipleship, the Master will know. No one who might be able to serve the Great Cause … will go unnoticed. The disciple does not need to seek the Master. As the old adage goes, When the student is ready, the Master will appear.

Prior to the founding of our Earth’s Hierarchy, it was the case that Humanity did not need the type of guidance provided by the Elder Brothers. The Devic (Angelic) agents of Spiritual Purpose for our planet safely and successfully guided all of the necessary developments, both inward and outward. The primitive humanity of the time did not even display the spark of mind, which remained inward, latent, and relatively speaking, completely inactive. We were cavepeople! Not even as bright as in the Geico commercials! :p

But as the spark of mind began to gradually awaken … the Hierarchy was increasingly needed. Originally, it was peopled by advanced beings from other planets, who had already attained. The work was relatively simple, and done by disciples. But Humanity evolved, and as we did, a more advanced type of instruction was necessary. This proceeded for long years, many millions, with only the very, precious few among us being capable of direct instruction. The number has steadily increased since then. Today, anyone who is drawn to a life of spiritual service, and who is committed to helping his fellow man, may safely be considered to be a pupil of the Masters, of some degree or another – even if totally unsuspected to him. And this may be a religious man, a humanitarian, an artist, politician, or banker. Outer trappings matter not, so long as the life is pure, the motive selfless, and the methods of the person skillful & scrupulous.

Thus, we have always received Divine guidance. During the later days of Atlantis, a million years ago and since, Humanity strayed from the beaten path, and did not heed the Voice of Hierarchy. In those days the Masters walked openly among us, yet ironically, Humanity chose the path of selfishness – and sorcery … and eventually planetary karma was swept into action, as memorialized for us in the Flood Myth. The Hierarchy was forced to the Inner Worlds, where Humanity’s Destiny could be safely – though more slowly, guided.

The Mystery Schools of Ancient Egypt, Greece, Persia and India nevertheless taught the Path of Approach to the Spirit within, via Initiation. The teachings were already ancient even 10s of thousands of years ago. Yet they received fresh vitalization from the Christ, and were symbolized by the 5 Great Episodes in His life: the Birth, Baptism, Transfiguration, Renunciation, Resurrection/Ascension. Only recently has a 6th Initiation been added as the final stage of our Spiritual Evolution on this planet.

Much confusion has come about surrounding the teachings regarding Initiation. Yet the surest way to reach Initiation, according to the Masters, is to forget oneself entirely in selfless, loving service to Humanity. This embodies our Highest Purpose upon the planet, both individually & collectively, as this is an expression of the Divine Brotherhood which also governs the lives of the Masters. We may trust, that once we become accustomed to a widened life of service, we will gradually reach a point where an inner ceremony, out of the body (and only sometimes remembered in our waking awareness, often years later), can take place. This can be seen as the culmination of the stage of the path we have just been treading, but more importantly, it is the beginning of a new potency as a disciple, and this is what really matters! J :)

The Initiations correspond to Mastership of the various levels of our being, or worlds of consciousness and activity, in which we live. These are as follows, with Western names, Buddhist (Pali) terms, Hindu (Sanskrit) terms, and additional info. provided:

1st Initiation .... physical mastery ..... Birth (of the Christ w/in the heart) .......... srotapatti (Stream-entrant) ..... parivrajaka (the Wanderer)
2nd Initiation ... emotional mastery .... Baptism (walking on water) .................... sakridagamin (one-more birth) .. kutichaka ("he who builds a hut")
3rd Initiation .. lower mental mastery .. Transfiguration (of entire personality) ......... anagamin (`never-returner') ..... hamsa (Swan)
4th Initiation .. mastery of personality .. Renunciation (or crucifixion, of personality) .. Arhat (`worthy, deserving') .... Paramahamsa (Great Swan)
5th Initiation ..... spiritual mastery ...... Resurrection/Ascension (of Spirit within) ..... Asekha Adept (non-trainee)

Clearly, the stages of the path ... leading to Adeptship, did not originate with Theosophists, nor with other Western Esoteric schools. One can easily trace the existence of the arhat ideal, and the Bodhisattva Ideal, to Buddhist times and far earlier, to the teachings of the Indian Rishis, the saints & adepts of old! The Path, and the Spritual Brotherhood, is as old as Humanity itself! :)

More recently,
starting in 1875, a renewed effort has been made by the Elder Brothers to bring to Humanity some of the ancient Wisdom Teachings which are so vital to our correct spiritual progress. This revitalization has shown up in many, many ways, but direct Teachings from various Masters is certainly one of the expressions of the Wisdom. A second disciple, in the first half of the 20th Century, gave out a second set of very developed Teachings, which are readily available to spiritual aspirants and disciples. And a third set of Advanced teachings is expected now, perhaps already available, to those who are ready. My own quest has led me to the writings of about a dozen students who have had the unique honor of serving as secretary - for the Masters of the Wisdom ... and a future post might include a list of some of these titles, as well as a list of several of the Masters, including their previous lives, if of interest.

Well, that's a heckuva start! :p

Namaskar,

andrew

andrew -= you have certainly started some interesting threads .... personally I look at it in a very simply way .... and I refer to the "circle of elders" whose number is usually twelve .... the "elders" or "circle of elders" or "circle of twelve" are symbols of the twelve pairs of cranial nerves that operated the whole internal system of seven energy centers in the human body .... they are within each of us and we need not look outside of ourselves for the answers .... the Hopi say that the coming time or change will be the time in which we meet ourselves (how's that for a simple straightforward prophecy) .... how do we meet ourselves .... by going within .... to reach that place of all knowing ....

the circle of twelve or the elders are symbolized in so many wonderful ways .... one of my favorites is the knights of the round table and king arthur .... the round table being the symbol of the skull, the twelve knights being the symbol of the 12 pairs of cranial nerves, and king arthur is the 13th aspect of the circle .... to reach this place one must cross the lake and enter the land of avalon which is hidden beneath a veil (or mist) .... the veil is also a part of our own brains .... it is called the arachnoid and is a net of fibers that connect the nerves and messages from the twelve elders (those cranial nerves) are sent via the vibrations on this net .... well this is a simply description for something much more profound .... but I hope you get the picture ....

it is also my belief that the lost tribes (twelve) represent the twelve pairs of cranial nerves and when we return to the source and remember how to connect everything within the regathering of the tribes will begin and we can all return to the promised land or the land of milk and honey .... all in the symbols ..... everything is connected on the ancient path of knowledge .... he hawai'i au, pohaikawahine

Poh,

I've grown somewhat familiar with the recurrence of 12 and 13, these both being sacred numbers for the reasons you mention ... and of course, also the prominent figuring in terms of astrology. I know nothing about astrology, but I am led to understand that once upon a time, our zodiac had only 11 (perhaps fewer) constellations ... just as at some point in the future, the number may increase - then later, decrease again. A friend of mine is finishing a book that examines the ancient Greek and Egyptian zodiacs, and I hope he'll get it published soon so I can dive into it!

Thanks to your post, I am reminded of just how squarely the Hermetic Axiom comes home sometimes: "As it is above, so it is below; as it is below, so it is above." :)

andrew

Excuse me for bringing this back from the dead, but would the Masters be seen as bodhisattvas then? That is, they continually reincarnate to help further humanity on its way, or are they still immaterial, residing on higher planes and gently pointing us in the right direction? I suppose both would not be beyond them. Also, where does this notion of the 12 cranial nerves and the connections with the King Arthur tale come from and where can I read more about it? I assume that the information that you presented in the first post, Taijasi, comes from a Theosophical source which I cannot hope to fully grasp at this time.

moseslmpg said:
Excuse me for bringing this back from the dead, but would the Masters be seen as bodhisattvas then? That is, they continually reincarnate to help further humanity on its way, or are they still immaterial, residing on higher planes and gently pointing us in the right direction? I suppose both would not be beyond them. Also, where does this notion of the 12 cranial nerves and the connections with the King Arthur tale come from and where can I read more about it? I assume that the information that you presented in the first post, Taijasi, comes from a Theosophical source which I cannot hope to fully grasp at this time.
Moseslmpg,

Yes, in Asian countries where Buddhism is popular - especially India, Tibet, and China - there is a general belief in the existence of the Masters (Mahatmas, Rishis, etc.) as a type of bodhisattva. Theravadin Buddhist teachings focus on the arhat as a spiritual ideal, whereas Mahayanists emphasize the bodhisattva. In correlation with esoteric teachings, an arhat is a 4th degree Initiate, and such individuals - though technically one stage below full Mastery (Asekha Adept) - are rare.

Bodhisattvahood is the 7th Initiation, and Humanity does not normally take this Initiation on planet Earth. Spiritual Liberation has, for millions of years, been attained with the 5th Initiation. In our distant past, when evolution occurred on the moon, it was the 4th Initiation. And in the mid 20th Century, as our spiritual evolution began to vastly accelerate, another change occurred ... such that our final spiritual attainment here now includes the 6th Initiation. But again, technically, although a 6th degree Initiate is VERY advanced spiritually (probably only a few dozen such individuals exist on the planet) ... these are not bodhisattvas, esoterically considered.

So to be precise, only one Bodhisattva exists at a given time, inasmuch as this is an office, like President, or King. Maitreya Bodhisattva, the same individual (and spiritual Presence) known to Christians as `the Christ,' is Earth's World Teacher in this cycle. Even as Sri Krishna, in India, He was preparing for this responsibility. And the former Bodhisattva, known to the world as Siddharta Gautama, passed the baton, so to speak, when he attained Buddhahood (8th Initiation).

Earlier Buddhas were also Boddhisattvas, prior to Buddahood, and these include Kashyapa & Dipankara. But these were individuals from the Venusian evolution ... who were sent to Earth to serve here until we had Masters advanced enough to take charge. It is interesting to note, that even in exoteric Buddhist teachings, there are a handful of individuals recognized as former, current or future Buddhas ... while Bodhisattva is a more inclusive, or generic designation - and does not indicate quite the same degree of spiritual attainment as Buddha. This is because exoteric religious teachings always reflect the esoteric, and in the East, there is often not as much distortion, or distillation. In India, however, yogis & gurus may be a dime a dozen, and they are certainly not all attained Masters in the esoteric sense of the word, many being uninitiated disciples, or disciples of disciples.

Here is a correlation between exoteric and esoteric Tibetan Buddhism which shows that in many cases, the teachings are almost identical ... and very closely express the Ageless Wisdom: Tibetan Buddhism emphasizes three vestitures, or vehicles, of an attained Buddha or Bodhisattva. These are the trikaya, including the Nirmanakaya, Sambhogakaya and Dharmakaya. `Kaya' means vehicle, or body, so these refer to the created or illusionary body, the bliss body, and the truth body, respectively.

Masters and Bodhisattvas, Theosophically, all manifest via the Nirmanakaya or created (illusionary) body. They are therefore, technically, Nirmanakayas ... although they remain physically incarnate for the benefit of their disciples - and to be a positive magnetic influence on the entire planet. By no means are they required to exist in the physical body, except to fulfil responsibilities which they voluntarily accept. By and large, it is probably safe to say that as these Masters begin to attain the Higher Initiations, they make every effort to SLOW their spiritual evolution - which is itself a sacrifice upon a sacrifice. They do this, so that they will be able to remain upon the planet a bit longer to see us through this difficult time. And this is exactly what the Bodhisattva Teaching is all about. :)

Shakyamuni Buddha is the example par excellence of the Supreme Sacrifice, and thus He remains the titular Head of the Hierarchy, whereas Christ (the Bodhisattva) may be seen as the Heart ... though also the Head, practically speaking. Buddha Shakyamuni has almost completely transcended our earth's evolution, and does not retain either the Nirmana, Sambhog, or Dharmakaya body ... but He does return to us once each year, at the Full Moon of Taurus, to give His Blessing on behalf of the Christ, for all of Humanity. This is possible, only because Christ retains the three higher vehicles of the former Buddha, and uses them in an esoteric function - of especial connection with the East (and Eastern traditions), but also for the entire planet.

Here are a few words of the Master DK, in Alice Bailey's teachings, about the Masters' use of physical bodies:
All the Masters, for instance, do not work through a physical vehicle. They nevertheless have an etheric body composed of the substance of the cosmic etheric levels - buddhic, atmic, monadic and logoic levels - and these levels are the four cosmic ethers, the higher correspondence of our etheric planes; these higher levels are the four levels of the cosmic physical plane. Until They choose, at the sixth Initiation of Decision, one of the seven Paths of Ultimate Destiny, the Masters function in Their cosmic etheric bodies. (from Telepathy and the Etheric Vehicle, emphasis added)

And another excerpt, from Rays and Initiations:
I would here remind you that there are many groups and types of Masters, and most of Them are quite unknown to occult students either from Their work or from rumor or from knowledge of the many evolutionary processes of which the human is only one. Not all the Masters work in the three worlds; not all the Masters need or possess physical bodies; not all the Masters "have Their faces turned towards the realm of dark light, but many face for aeons towards the clear cold light of spiritual existence"; not all the Masters make or are required to make the sacrifices which work for the fourth kingdom [Humanity] in nature entails.

I hope this clarifies things a bit. I would add that many Theosophical teachings are not difficult, but some of them, unfortunately, have been watered down a good bit, and distorted. Any time the Masters and the Hierarchy are presented as glamorous, egostistical human beings, who play favorites and allow such things as excessive devotion, it is safe to say that a travesty has occurred. Examples include all of the "I AM" teachings, such as those which originate in the imagination of Elizabeth Clare Prophet ... and some of the notions perpetuated by C.W. Leadbeater (a Theosophist from the early 20th Century).

The first book of the Tibetan Master (DK) through Alice Bailey, entitled Initiation, Human and Solar, is a good introduction to Esoteric ideas ... with a focus on the existence of the Masters, and what we can do to help cooperate with Them. This book was written in 1919, and although it contains timeless truth, there were also some signficant changes, during the years of WWII. By the time Master DK finished His writing through Alice Bailey, in 1949, there was additional information that could be conveyed about the Plans and methodology of the Masters.

A good example is the shift in teachings from an emphasis on individual discipleship, to the Path of Group Initiation. As early as the 1920s, Master DK was asked by the Hieararchy to assemble GROUPS for Initiation, working along several different lines (such as Healing, Telepathy, trained Observation, etc.). Additionally, it is probably safe to say that Master DK's own Ashram of students operates according to the 5th sub-ray of the 2nd Ray of Love-Wisdom. This means that, although his disciples are ultimately under the jurisdiction and supervision of the Christ (or Bodhisattva), there is also a strong conditioning from the Ray of Science (Ray 5). This is energy which emanates from a different "Deparment" of the Hierarchy, falling under the 3rd Ray line of energy ("Holy Spirit" vs. "The Son"). Thus, anyone who studies Master DK's writings will benefit immensely if they have a scientific background & interest, or a scientific type of mind.

Compare all this with the teachings of Master R (Rakoczy), through Lucille Cedercrans, which were given out in the 1960s and afterward. You can see some of these online at www.wisdomimpressions.com, including the book Nature of the Soul, which is available for download. I recommend giving it a try, as the material is much easier to study and absorb, for some students, than the writings of Master DK. But for comparison, the Tibetan's Teachings are online at www.netnews.org. If you were to order a book, from the Teachings of Master R through Lucille Cedercrans (Wisdom Impressions), I would strongly suggest Creative Thinking. This is an IDEAL starting point, even more basic than Nature of the Soul. :)

Namaskar,

andrew

Whoa! That's a lot of information! How do you guys make such informative and structured posts with quotations all the time? It's lucky for me that you guys do. Anyway, thanks for all that info and the links, I'll do my best to absorb the teachings available to me.

[FONT=&quot]Who are "The Brothers"?....
The earliest reference I can find describing these adepts is in Paracelsus
"There are persons who have been exalted (verzueckt) to God, and who have
remained in that state of exaltation, and have not died..."
In the writing of the German mystic C.von Eckharthausen in his "Disclosures
of Magic" (1790) -" These sages, whose number is small, are children of
light, and are opposed to darkness. They dislike mystification and secrecy;
they are open and frank, have nothing to do with secret societies and with
external ceremonies. They possess a spiritual temple, in which God is
presiding.
"They live in various parts of the earth, and do not meddle with politics;
their business is to do as much good to humanity as in their power, and to
drink wisdom from the eternal fountain of truth. They never quarrel about
opinions, because they know the truth. Their number is small. Some live in
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Europe[/FONT][FONT=&quot], others in [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Africa[/FONT][FONT=&quot], but they are bound together by the harmony of
their souls, and they are therefore as one. They are joined together,
although they may be thousands of miles apart from each other. They
understand each other, although they speak in different tongues, because the
language of the sages is spiritual perception." Pretty good for 1790!

One could also quote some theosophical writings or maybe Dion Fortune, but
you get the idea.

The recently published by the Anthroposophic Press: "From the History and
Contents of the Esoteric Section" also has some information.

Yes they remained alive a lot longer. An historical example is Saint
Germain. He was never seen to eat either. They do take liquids however.

We see also at the end of the gospel of St.John that John "tarried".

The bodies of the Elder Brothers, though appearing normal, are differently
constructed to that of the bulk of humanity. There has to be a pattern set
in place for the future and it is this they bear.

Some quotes from the Brothers:
"Such men do not cease to be human. There are glamorous misconceptions which
pronounce a Master to be so divine he is as separate to you or I; or so far
removed that he is above the comprehension of the daily contests. However
this is not the case, they have not the angelic withdrawal, and are
sensitive to the individual stirrings and affectations of any man.

"Secrecy is a great protector. It has been in the past, that the respect is
issued as is warranted, and details of movements and even heritage are
uncalled-for.

"Just as the royal family goes about with consorts to guard, it is the
veiling attendants which move about the Masters, shielding them from undue
arrest. Even we have regarded much of their business to be their business.

"It is as this also: The work of one Master is uniquely different in his
approach and conduct to that of another - and this is of necessity we might
add. But the two specific tasks are dependent upon the success of the other,
and are in no way confused by the extreme distinctions."

"Sometimes there is no time afforded to one's personal doubting - we are
called onwards regardless, and only by the work involved, with such doubts
put to one side, shall more become apparent, and by which made more real. "

"If our objection to the work, is only that it is new and unknown, then we
must not be ashamed to be beginning somewhere; or put off, by our
immaturity. Of course, as with any work, if the objection is because one
finds contradictions inwardly, and is led to suspicions that it is
ill-founded: if we are alerted to the prospect of there being a
questionable motive, or that it is not in accordance with the heart or mind
of Truth; but rather deceptive and to poor consequence - then, of course,
one must walk away. For one must never deny their personal discernment. We
are called upon constantly, for valued judgments - without which, the work
itself, would be to no value.

"'Self' is never to be denied, but shall be consumed and made part of a much
greater 'self'. And so incorporated within. And to do this, we must be
prepared to listen not only to our needs of self, but our greater self. Our
self, calls for explanations, and direct certainty - but cannot be
fulfilled, until it, of its own, will quieten enough to receive those
greater realities. We cannot therefore demand, that certainties are given
us, and supplied in palatable condition, for these would become as banal as
our self, and so diluted, that the interpretations of the greater self are
made un-extractable.

"Example: Red requires proof of the existence of orange. But red requires
mingling with yellow, before such transformation. If red is separate to
yellow, red will only perceive the yellow. Red must give over to the power
of yellow and be so touched, as to find the contrast of orange. We walk the
world as red, and we are separate to the untouchable yellow and unattainable
orange, until we can absorb and take into ourselves that yellow.

"The true test of the teaching is of the teaching itself. No Master may
claim infallibility. For this would negate all possibility of change.
'Master' is a relative term - and implies also, one who has trod the boards at an
earlier period - and therefore is relative only to time, and not to quality
of super-character, or pompous title. Duty performed is different to duty
inherited.

"For if we were to be seen - seen as we are - we would appear as unpresuming
as the pile of paper. And if we made of ourselves, something more attractive
or spectacular, that would be - ever so slightly - misrepresentation; and
therefore deceitful. We apologise if it is expected, that we should appear
with trumpets, wings and rainbow lights. This might be more pertinent to a
party. But not in daily attire or normal presentation. In point of fact,
all of the other tricks which would be called for, are not of daily
consideration either.

"One does not greet a man by firstly asking of him to show you what he can
do. Imagine that, even with an old friend, you simply don't go up to him and
say, "O.K., now show me all the wonderful things, or at least some of them,
that you can do. Now! I want to see it now." - and expect them to make a
display of themselves. You might wander into their place of work, and watch
them skillfully labour, but you do not require as prerequisite to
friendship, or relationship, an immediate example of their skills or
talents, to satisfy your opinion of them.

"Frankly speaking, there might be amusement, but anything which stretches
far beyond one's own experience is rarely assimilated immediately into the
consciousness, without some dreadful consequence after the fact. It is too
difficult for men to concentrate on that which is before them, let alone try
to digest that which is outside of their levels of experience. It may well
be a good recipe for madness, but it is not something we wish to portend.

"One cannot force the faculties exteriorally, without some devastating
consequence. Similarly one can never dress to satisfy all - better then not
to make public appearances!

"It is funny how much disagreement can arise from this point. Second
guessing and second looks. Without the charadery, one thing is for sure: that the
response would be great disbelief. Disbelief, as to how can that figure
presume so much, or know at all? Perhaps an appearance of some Aphrodite,
which one instantly falls under the spell of adulation, might suffice. But
were one, (us, we, I) to make an honest appearance, it would be, at best,
laughable."
Methuselah's Dad, Enoch did not die: "Enoch was translated that he
should not see death, and was not found because God translated him, for
before his translation he had this testimony that he pleased God." Heb.
11:5-6

According to the New Testament Apocrypha, there is one Teckla, a convert of
Paul's who was translated because of the righteousness and devotion of her
life.

What about John's "persistence" : John 21:22-23.

Note the following, from the Greek: "And he (Christ) said to them, Indeed I
say to you, that there are SOME of those standing here, who will not taste
death till THEY see God's Royal Majesty having come with power." Compare
Mark 9:1, Matt. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]16:28[/FONT][FONT=&quot] and Luke [/FONT][FONT=&quot]9:27[/FONT][FONT=&quot]. We can assume that these individuals
are still around i.e. escaped the power of death.
"Verily, verily, I say unto you, if a man keep my sayings, he shall never
see death."
John [/FONT][FONT=&quot]8:51[/FONT][FONT=&quot] also
"And whoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believeth thou
this?" John11:25
Christ was not talking of life beyond the grave. He was not talking of the
resurrection. He was talking to Martha concerning Lazarus, who was already
buried.

The sixth chapter of John contains more on this subject than any other
chapter of scripture: " Verily, verily I say unto you, He that believeth on
me hath life age-lasting." from the original Greek. -*A.Skarin, "Ye are
Gods"

We also have the legend of the Wandering Jew.

For those that don't know, Rudolf Steiner stated that in Lazarus, Christian
Rosencreutz and Saint Germain we are dealing with the same individuality.

The Brothers of the Rosy Cross were said to possess the Elixir Vitae.
We read in the Fama that 120 years after his death, the body of C.R. was
found "fair and worthy.... whole and unconsumed".
Steiner tells us at one time C.R.'s body was "absolutely transparent".
In the [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Temple[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Legend[/FONT][FONT=&quot] (pge 106) we can read some comments on the
youthful-looking Saint Germain and how he appeared to people long after his
reported death. For a more detailed description of Saint Germain see
Cooper-Oakley's Compte Saint Germain, which BTW gives a description of his
eating habits.

"When in the world outside the modern leaders of men go about in human garb,
they are unrecognised in the world. When from the standpoint of Spiritual
Science we talk about 'The Masters of Wisdom and Harmony of Feelings' people
would often be surprised to in what simple, unassuming human form these
Masters are to be found in all countries. They are present on the physical
plane."
pge 128, Wonders of the World, Ordeals of the Soul, Revelations of the
Spirit R.Steiner.
"The Philosopher's Stone has a specific purpose, which was stated by
Cagliostro; it is meant to prolong human life to a span of 5,527 years....In
fact, however, it is possible, by means of special training, to prolong life
indefinitely by learning to live outside the physical body."
"Physical death is only an apparent occurrence for him who has understood
the Philosopher's Stone for himself, and has learnt to separate it."
"He lays aside the physical body in the same way that one takes of a
raincoat, and he puts on a new body just as one puts a new raincoat on."
103-104 [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Temple[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Legend[/FONT][FONT=&quot], Rudolf S.
Rudolf Steiner teaches that as we refine the astral body (establish peace)
it "gradually approaches immortality", "an astral form arises which
survives, remains living."

"When someone has become a Chela he begins to establish peace in the etheric
body. Then the etheric body too survives. The Masters establish peace in the
physical body; thus in their case the physical body also survives."
Foundations of Esotericism, pge 171.

"....In fact, however, it is possible, by means of special training, to prolong life
indefinitely by learning to live outside the physical body."

The following hint at a secret:
"Physical death is only an apparent occurrence for him who has understood
the Philosopher's Stone for himself, and has learnt to separate it."
"He lays aside the physical body in the same way that one takes of a
raincoat, and he puts on a new body just as one puts a new raincoat on."

I found a clearer quote in "Theosophy of the Rosicrucian", page 54:
"Of a Master it is said: He is born in the same body; he uses it for
hundreds, even thousands of years. This is the case with the vast majority
of leading Individualities. An exception is formed by certain Masters who
have their own special mission; with them the physical body remains, so that
death does not occur for them at all. These are the Masters whose task it is
to watch over and bring about the transition from one race to another."
There is more on page 53 which is interesting too, but that will do.

Cordially Yours,
Bruce[/FONT]

Synesius wrote on the Brothers in his On Providence:

For there is indeed in the terrestrial abode the sacred tribe of heroes who pay attention to mankind, and who are able to give them assistance even in the smallest concerns . . . This heroic tribe is, as it were, a colony from the gods established here in order that this terrene abode may not be left destitute of a better nature.

Last edited:
It is nice to know that some people, after they achieve enlightenment, choose not to enter nirvana, but stay here and help the rest of us less advanced souls. It is even nicer to know that these 'helpers' are in some kind of brotherhood, so that teamwork allows them do their work more effectively.

From NOTEBOOKS OF PAUL BRUNTON, Vol. 10

The Secret Doctrine of the Khmers

I leave the thorny jungle and mount a frail bamboo ladder. The few wooden steps lead to a large grass-roofed hut. The ladder is built on timber piles some six feet from the ground... In the regions where a feeble effort to cultivate the land is made with the help of the River Mekong, both dwelling and dwellers would be overwhelmed by the great annual floods were it not for this elevated style of living. And in the large forest tracts it is equally efficacious against fierce tigers, which do not hesitate to claw their way into the lightly built huts.

This little clearing amidst thick trees and undergrowth was made by monks who have lately returned--after hundreds of years' absence--to settle near the shadow of the Wat, the great temple of Angkor. They have put up a tiny village and today, after waiting for the oppressive heat of the afternoon to abate, I enter as their guest.

The bonzes squat smilingly around the floor, their eyes narrow slits, their Mongoloid cheekbones set high, their slim short bodies wrapped tightly in cheerful yellow cloth....

On the ground outside, a boy heaps together a pile of dead branches and sets them alight. Another servant fills two round vessels at a pool close by, ties one to each end of a flexible pole which rests across his shoulders, and then bears them to the hut. The first boy pours some of the water into a black iron bowl and rests it over the fire. Before long he appears among us with tea. It is a fragrantly scented milkless infusion which we sip from tiny bowls. The life of these men is primitive indeed, for they have hardly any possessions. They are the historic descendants of the Khmers who had built Angkor, but my repeated questions reveal that they now keep but a pitiful remnant of their old culture. It consists of a few scraps of tradition mingled with an imperfect knowledge of the Hinayana form of Buddhism...The oldest of the bonzes tells me some more of their curious lore.

"Our traditions say that three races have mixed their blood in Kambaja [Cambodia]. The first dwellers were unlettered savages, whose tribes still live in parts where no white man's foot has trod. They are guarded by poisoned darts stuck all over the ground, let alone by the huge tigers, rhinoceros, and wild elephants which fill their forests. Our primitive religion survives among them in the form of ruined temples... This religion, together with a government, was given us by the great sage ruler Svayambuva, who came across the western sea. He established the worship of BRA, the Supreme Being. The other races who settled here were the Indian and Chinese. Brahmin priests became powerful and taught our kings to add the worship of the gods Shiva and Vishnu and to make Sanskrit a second court language. Such was their power that even today, after our country has been purely Buddhist for many hundreds of years, their direct descendants conduct all important ceremonials for our king according to Hindu rituals. You have seen in the royal palace in Phnom Penh a sword made of dark steel inlaid with gold. It is guarded day and night by these Brahmins. We believe that if the slightest rust appears on the blade, disaster will come to the Khmer people. That sword belonged to our great king Jayavarman, who built the grand temple of Angkor, spread the limits of our empire far and wide, yet kept his mind in control like a sage. He knew the secrets of both Hinduism and Mahayana Buddhism, which dwelled in friendship side by side in our country. Indeed, the Mahayana was spread among us even before it reached China."

The afternoon passes. The magic of the evening sun begins to work. A stream of reddening light pierces the grotesquely tiny windows and plays upon the uneven floor. It reveals the teeth of the smiling monks, some glittering but most betel-stained. We adjourn to a larger structure for the evening rites. While joss sticks burn freely before the gilded image of their faith and long litanies are softly chanted, I leave the assembly and settle down in the great Temple of Angkor to savour its sanctified darkness.

I hold to the modern attitude, which has proved so significant in science, that the era of mystery-mongering is past, that knowledge which is not verifiable cannot be received with certitude, and that overmuch profession of the possession of secrets opens the door of imposture and charlatanry. He who is unable to offer adequate evidence has no right to the public ear. I have generally followed this line of conduct in all my writing, even though it has compelled me in the past to leave undescribed that which I consider the most valuable of personal encounters and to record the minor mystics as though they were the highest sages. If therefore I now reluctantly break my own rule, it is for two reasons: that it would be a pity to withhold information which many might appreciate, and that political enmity has put my informant's head in danger. Let it suffice to say that somewhere in Southeast Asia I met a man who wears the High Lama's robe, who disclaims any special knowledge at first, but who breaks his reticence in the end. A part of what he tells me about Angkor is worth reconstructing here, but the statements are his, not mine.

"You are the first white man to prostrate himself before me for many years. I am deeply moved. . . . The key which unlocks understanding of Angkor's mystery needs to be turned thrice. There is first a secret tradition which has combined and united Hinduism, the religion of many Gods, and Buddhism, the religion without a God. There is next an unbroken line of sages who held and taught this doctrine as being the real and final truth about life. There is thirdly a connection between Angkor and, on one side, South India, on the other side, Tibet. In all three lands there was a time when both faiths even dwelled outwardly together in complete harmony, with interchangeable rites, symbols, and dogmas. The tradition itself was limited by the mental incapacity of the masses to the circle of a few sages and their immediate disciples. Vedanta and Mahayana are corruptions of this pure doctrine, but of all known systems they come closest to it.

"Its chief tenet was the demonstration to ripe seekers of the existence of a single universal Life-Principle which sages named the `First' or the `Origin'. In itself it has no shape, cannot be divided into parts, and is quite impersonal--like a man's mind when in a state of deep sleep. Yet it is the root of every shaped thing, creature, person, and substance which has appeared in the universe. Even mind has come out of it. There is no room or necessity for a personal God in the Khmer secret doctrine, but the popular religion accepted diverse gods as limited beings who were themselves as dependent on the First as the weakest man. Apart from these gods, the sages gave the people symbols suitable for worship. These symbols had to represent the First as faithfully as possible. They were three in number. The sun was chosen because everybody could easily understand that it created, sustained, and destroyed the life of this planet. From the tiny cell to the great star, everything is in a state of constant growth or decay thanks to the sun's power. Even substances like stone, wood, and metal come into existence through the working of the sun force. The sages knew also, however, that even the human mind gets its vitality from the same force, causing it to reincarnate again and again upon the earth. The people of Angkor worshipped Light as a very god, and the rite of sun-worship was carried on in vast stone-paved courts which were open to the sky and faced the temples.

"The second symbol was the male organ of sex. It appeared as a cone-like tower on some temples and as a tapering single column set up in the centre of the building. To Western eyes it is a strange and unsuitable symbol. But the people were plainly taught to look upon it as a picture of the Source of Life. Orientals in general and primitive people everywhere feel less shame about natural organs and functions than Westerners. Anyway the temples of Angkor never linked this symbol with the worship of lust. Its existence never degraded them. The Khmer people were so pure-minded that Sulayman, an Arab merchant who wrote an account of a voyage in which he ventured as far as China in the year 851, wrote of his visit to Cambodia: `All fermented liquors and every kind of debauchery were forbidden there. In the cities and throughout the empire one would not be able to find a single person addicted to debauchery!'

"The third symbol is also thought of in the West as connected with evil, but the adepts of Angkor held a different view. They gave the previous symbol because hardly a man escapes seeing the miracle of sex, whereby a tiny seed slowly grows into a fully matured human being composed of different parts, thus teaching the possibility of the First becoming the Many. They also gave the serpent as an emblem of worship for three reasons. In the course of a single lifetime its skin periodically dies and is thrown off, permitting new skin to appear each time. The constant transformations, reincarnations, and reappearances of the First as Nature are thus represented. And when a snake lies in its hole, it usually coils itself into the shape of a circle. It is not possible to mark where and when a circle begins. In this point the reptile indicates the infinity and eternity of the First. Lastly, there is a strange mesmeric influence in the glittering eyes of the snake which is found in no other animal. During the operation of the mysteries, which have now been lost to the Western world, the adept initiated the seeker into the elementary stage by a mesmeric process which enables him to get a glimpse of his origin. Therefore, the carvings of every temple in Angkor showed the serpent, while on the lake Pra Reach Dak nearby there is an islet on which a small shrine stands entirely encircled by two great stone snakes.

"The line of sages which had penetrated into the secret of the First and gave these symbolic religions to the masses has shifted its headquarters from epoch to epoch. From the sixth to the thirteenth centuries it flourished in Angkor, but for seven hundred years before that period it flourished in South India. Reminders of this earlier centre exist in plenty in the architectural forms and sculptural details. Even the Sanskrit used by the Brahmin priests in Cambodia is of Pallava (South Indian) origin. But the wheel of karma turned, the Cambodian empire declined and disappeared with a rapidity which outran the fall of the Romans. The rulers were dazzled by wealth and conquest and failed to heed the advice of the sages. The latter withdrew and migrated to Tibet.

"You ask me if they are the same adepts as those spoken of by H.P. Blavatsky. When she was a girl and fled from her husband, she accidentally met a group of Russian Buddhist Kalmucks who were proceeding by a roundabout route on pilgrimage to the Dalai Lama of Tibet. She joined the caravan as a means of escape from her husband. One of them was an adept. He took care of her and protected her and brought her to Lhasa. She was initiated in due course into the secret tradition. She visited other parts of Tibet and also India. Before the existence of the Angkor ruins was known in the West, she was sent there to continue her studies and to receive a certain contact by meditation in the temples. H.P.B. went but experienced great difficulty in travelling through the uncleared jungle; however, she bravely suffered all discomforts. Later, she was introduced to a co-disciple, who eventually became a High Lama and a personal advisor to the Dalai Lama. He was the son of a Mongolian prince, but for public purposes took the name of `The Thunderbolt'--that is,`Dorje.' On account of his personal knowledge of and interest in Russia, he gradually altered it to `Dorjeff.' Before their guru died, he instructed Blavatsky to give a most elementary part of the secret tradition to the Western people, while he instructed Dorjeff to follow her further career with watchful interest. Dorjeff gave her certain advice; she went to America and founded the Theosophical Society. Her guru had forbidden her to give out his name. Moreover, she knew much more of the teachings than she revealed. But she was always fearful of saying too much, so she constantly created what she called `blinds' and wrapped her truthful secrets in imaginary clothes. I may say no more. However, the poor woman was unjustly maligned by her enemies. Her sole desire was to help humanity. They could never understand her peculiar character nor her Oriental methods. Her society did an enormous service to white people by opening their eyes to Eastern truths. But its real mission is over; hence its present weak condition. A new instrument will take up the work in 1939 and give a higher revelation to the world, which is now better prepared. But the beginning of this work will be as quiet and unnoticed as the planting of a seed. It is 108 years since H.P.B.'s birth. There are 108 steps on the path to Nirvana. Amongst all the yogis of the Himalaya, 108 is regarded as the most sacred number. It is also kabbalistically connected with the year 1939 in a most important way. Therefore, this year will witness the departure of the adepts from Tibet. Their location was always a secret; even most of the High Lamas never knew it. Tibet has lost its value for them; its isolation had begun to disappear rapidly and its rulers no longer respond faithfully to them. They leave Tibet seven hundred years after their arrival."

Sir Francis Younghusband crossed the Gobi Desert on foot and explored it again on a later occasion. Mongolia, where it is positioned, as a Lamaistic Buddhist country, owed spiritual fealty to the Dalai Lama in Tibet. Sir Francis told me one day of a mysterious Mongolian whom he had met and who without uttering a single word aloud, purely by telepathic contact, had powerfully influenced his mind and given it a greatly broader spiritual outlook. Many years later I met this same adept, then an exile in Cambodia from his native land which had fallen to the Communist-atheist regime. Through the services of an educated Chinese disciple who was with him, we were able to converse about Buddhism and other matters. He gave out a teaching which formed the basis of mentalism and which was occasionally so subtle that it went above my head, but which I understood sufficiently to revolutionize my outlook. Some of its tenets were incorporated in the mentalism explained in my books The Hidden Teaching Beyond Yoga and The Wisdom of the Overself.(P)

Here is more testimony on the reality of the Brothers, from Echoes of the Orient, vol. III:418-20.

Mahatma of the Circle on the Theosophical Society & HP Blavatsky

The following is from a letter lately received from an Indian brother...[B.K. Lahiri] and is recommended to your attention as independent evidence of the position of H.P.B. and the connection of the Masters with the T.S.

Annie Besant, William Q. Judge March, 1893.

THE LETTER

K.B., a Brahman Yogi, recently went up to the Himalayas: on his way down to Deccan, he was kind enough to stop at my place for some days... I must mention here also that this gentleman did not know much of H.P.B. before nor of the Theosophical Society, and whenever I spoke to him about them he used to say, as it were passively, that it was a good work, no doubt, and that H.P.B. must have known the occult philosophy... that whenever the Rakshasas [demons] became powerful some goddess is sent to destroy them, and so she was sent to destroy the materialism of the all-powerful western Rakshasas.

However, now I shall relate what he told me when he came back from the Himalayas. The first thing he said was: "Go on! go on! go on! Fit yourself; you have much to do: go on, go on, and go on." The next thing he told me was, that this time he considered himself thrice blessed by the sight of a Mahatma... in the snow-covered and impassable cave of the Himalayas...

The Mahatma, he said, he saw perfectly naked; that no living soul could venture to look at his eyes; his color appeared to be of such a peculiar hue that it is not like anything worldly, but when he touched his hand (K.B.'s) between the third and fourth fingers, the latter could not stand the electric shock that ran up to his head from the extreme parts of his feet... He became almost unconscious, although he himself is a real yogi of 22 years' standing...

He said the body of the Mahatma, though it looked like butter, proved to be hard as steel, and that it was impossible for him to say of what it is made. The Mahatma does not speak, and with him only spoke where he could not make the latter understand his thought perfectly well. After he received his instruction, whatever was necessary for him, he asked: "that in India there they have established a society called the Theosophical Society, and that Madame Blavatsky started it with Col. Olcott. What is this? Is there anything real in it? Who was H.P.B.? Was she a yogi? Is Col. Olcott a yogi? What will be end of all this? Is anybody to come in the place of H.P.B.? My certain friend B.K.L. who takes much interest in the T.S. pressed me for the latter information."

He said, "The T.S. was their work: it was established to change the present current of the human mind and destroy Nastikism, [materialistic atheism]... that he was present when H.P.B. was sent by her Master from the Manasarovara Hills in Tibet... she was sent to carry out the work of the Mahatmas; -- that she was very high up there is not the least doubt, that he himself was one of the Circle, although not so high as the Guru of H.P.B.; that Col. Olcott is a good man no doubt but no yogi, he is entirely different from H.P.B. with whose name you cannot mention Olcott. That what was necessary was done by H.P.B. and the Society is successful... that hitherto the T.S. followed a particular line, but in India there should be a change in that line, but there will be no change in the West, they must go on as they do now."

Since the Svamiji has come back from the Himalayan Hills his ideas about the T.S. and H.P.B. are entirely different; instead of passive tolerance he simply says:

"Oh! I like to worship the portrait of H.P.B.; no one has done so much good for humanity, especially for India, after Buddha and Shankaracharya... The T.S. is ours, established for certain purposes by our Mahatmas; go on and go on, work and work."

I must tell you that the Svamji never knew any of these informations about the T.S., the West, or H.P.B. before he went up to the Hills. The Svamji showed me his hand where the Mahatma held it with his two fingers -- there is the white sign of inflammation still existing, and subsequently the skin was off from that place. These are the facts that are revealed to me... It appeared also that the Svamji is the chela of one of the chelas or grand chelas of a Mahatma of the Circle.

Last edited:
Skull,

I'm glad to see you post this. The teachings of the two Mathatmas, K.H.and M., are an important part of my belief system. Their teachings have really changed my approach to ideas such as reinarnation and karma. Are you also a follower of K.H. and M.?

Skull,

I'm glad to see you post this. The teachings of the two Mathatmas, K.H.and M., are an important part of my belief system. Their teachings have really changed my approach to ideas such as reinarnation and karma. Are you also a follower of K.H. and M.?

Yes indeed, along with many other sages, Adepts and Bodhisattvas.

Hi Skull: Welcome and thank you for your informative posts. I'm pleased to see the dialogue continue on this aspect of wisdom. He Hawai'i Au, poh

From NOTEBOOKS OF PAUL BRUNTON, Vol. 10

The Secret Doctrine of the Khmers

I hold to the modern attitude, which has proved so significant in science, that the era of mystery-mongering is past, that knowledge which is not verifiable cannot be received with certitude, and that overmuch profession of the possession of secrets opens the door of imposture and charlatanry. He who is unable to offer adequate evidence has no right to the public ear. I have generally followed this line of conduct in all my writing, even though it has compelled me in the past to leave undescribed that which I consider the most valuable of personal encounters and to record the minor mystics as though they were the highest sages. If therefore I now reluctantly break my own rule, it is for two reasons: that it would be a pity to withhold information which many might appreciate, and that political enmity has put my informant's head in danger. Let it suffice to say that somewhere in Southeast Asia I met a man who wears the High Lama's robe, who disclaims any special knowledge at first, but who breaks his reticence in the end. A part of what he tells me about Angkor is worth reconstructing here, but the statements are his, not mine.

"You are the first white man to prostrate himself before me for many years. I am deeply moved. . . . The key which unlocks understanding of Angkor's mystery needs to be turned thrice. There is first a secret tradition which has combined and united Hinduism, the religion of many Gods, and Buddhism, the religion without a God. There is next an unbroken line of sages who held and taught this doctrine as being the real and final truth about life. There is thirdly a connection between Angkor and, on one side, South India, on the other side, Tibet. In all three lands there was a time when both faiths even dwelled outwardly together in complete harmony, with interchangeable rites, symbols, and dogmas. The tradition itself was limited by the mental incapacity of the masses to the circle of a few sages and their immediate disciples. Vedanta and Mahayana are corruptions of this pure doctrine, but of all known systems they come closest to it.

"Its chief tenet was the demonstration to ripe seekers of the existence of a single universal Life-Principle which sages named the `First' or the `Origin'. In itself it has no shape, cannot be divided into parts, and is quite impersonal--like a man's mind when in a state of deep sleep. Yet it is the root of every shaped thing, creature, person, and substance which has appeared in the universe. Even mind has come out of it. There is no room or necessity for a personal God in the Khmer secret doctrine, but the popular religion accepted diverse gods as limited beings who were themselves as dependent on the First as the weakest man. Apart from these gods, the sages gave the people symbols suitable for worship. These symbols had to represent the First as faithfully as possible. They were three in number. The sun was chosen because everybody could easily understand that it created, sustained, and destroyed the life of this planet. From the tiny cell to the great star, everything is in a state of constant growth or decay thanks to the sun's power. Even substances like stone, wood, and metal come into existence through the working of the sun force. The sages knew also, however, that even the human mind gets its vitality from the same force, causing it to reincarnate again and again upon the earth. The people of Angkor worshipped Light as a very god, and the rite of sun-worship was carried on in vast stone-paved courts which were open to the sky and faced the temples.

"The second symbol was the male organ of sex. It appeared as a cone-like tower on some temples and as a tapering single column set up in the centre of the building. To Western eyes it is a strange and unsuitable symbol. But the people were plainly taught to look upon it as a picture of the Source of Life. Orientals in general and primitive people everywhere feel less shame about natural organs and functions than Westerners. Anyway the temples of Angkor never linked this symbol with the worship of lust. Its existence never degraded them. The Khmer people were so pure-minded that Sulayman, an Arab merchant who wrote an account of a voyage in which he ventured as far as China in the year 851, wrote of his visit to Cambodia: `All fermented liquors and every kind of debauchery were forbidden there. In the cities and throughout the empire one would not be able to find a single person addicted to debauchery!'

"The third symbol is also thought of in the West as connected with evil, but the adepts of Angkor held a different view. They gave the previous symbol because hardly a man escapes seeing the miracle of sex, whereby a tiny seed slowly grows into a fully matured human being composed of different parts, thus teaching the possibility of the First becoming the Many. They also gave the serpent as an emblem of worship for three reasons. In the course of a single lifetime its skin periodically dies and is thrown off, permitting new skin to appear each time. The constant transformations, reincarnations, and reappearances of the First as Nature are thus represented. And when a snake lies in its hole, it usually coils itself into the shape of a circle. It is not possible to mark where and when a circle begins. In this point the reptile indicates the infinity and eternity of the First. Lastly, there is a strange mesmeric influence in the glittering eyes of the snake which is found in no other animal. During the operation of the mysteries, which have now been lost to the Western world, the adept initiated the seeker into the elementary stage by a mesmeric process which enables him to get a glimpse of his origin. Therefore, the carvings of every temple in Angkor showed the serpent, while on the lake Pra Reach Dak nearby there is an islet on which a small shrine stands entirely encircled by two great stone snakes.

"The line of sages which had penetrated into the secret of the First and gave these symbolic religions to the masses has shifted its headquarters from epoch to epoch. From the sixth to the thirteenth centuries it flourished in Angkor, but for seven hundred years before that period it flourished in South India. Reminders of this earlier centre exist in plenty in the architectural forms and sculptural details. Even the Sanskrit used by the Brahmin priests in Cambodia is of Pallava (South Indian) origin. But the wheel of karma turned, the Cambodian empire declined and disappeared with a rapidity which outran the fall of the Romans. The rulers were dazzled by wealth and conquest and failed to heed the advice of the sages. The latter withdrew and migrated to Tibet.

"You ask me if they are the same adepts as those spoken of by H.P. Blavatsky. When she was a girl and fled from her husband, she accidentally met a group of Russian Buddhist Kalmucks who were proceeding by a roundabout route on pilgrimage to the Dalai Lama of Tibet. She joined the caravan as a means of escape from her husband. One of them was an adept. He took care of her and protected her and brought her to Lhasa. She was initiated in due course into the secret tradition. She visited other parts of Tibet and also India. Before the existence of the Angkor ruins was known in the West, she was sent there to continue her studies and to receive a certain contact by meditation in the temples. H.P.B. went but experienced great difficulty in travelling through the uncleared jungle; however, she bravely suffered all discomforts. Later, she was introduced to a co-disciple, who eventually became a High Lama and a personal advisor to the Dalai Lama. He was the son of a Mongolian prince, but for public purposes took the name of `The Thunderbolt'--that is,`Dorje.' On account of his personal knowledge of and interest in Russia, he gradually altered it to `Dorjeff.' Before their guru died, he instructed Blavatsky to give a most elementary part of the secret tradition to the Western people, while he instructed Dorjeff to follow her further career with watchful interest. Dorjeff gave her certain advice; she went to America and founded the Theosophical Society. Her guru had forbidden her to give out his name. Moreover, she knew much more of the teachings than she revealed. But she was always fearful of saying too much, so she constantly created what she called `blinds' and wrapped her truthful secrets in imaginary clothes. I may say no more. However, the poor woman was unjustly maligned by her enemies. Her sole desire was to help humanity. They could never understand her peculiar character nor her Oriental methods. Her society did an enormous service to white people by opening their eyes to Eastern truths. But its real mission is over; hence its present weak condition. A new instrument will take up the work in 1939 and give a higher revelation to the world, which is now better prepared. But the beginning of this work will be as quiet and unnoticed as the planting of a seed. It is 108 years since H.P.B.'s birth. There are 108 steps on the path to Nirvana. Amongst all the yogis of the Himalaya, 108 is regarded as the most sacred number. It is also kabbalistically connected with the year 1939 in a most important way. Therefore, this year will witness the departure of the adepts from Tibet. Their location was always a secret; even most of the High Lamas never knew it. Tibet has lost its value for them; its isolation had begun to disappear rapidly and its rulers no longer respond faithfully to them. They leave Tibet seven hundred years after their arrival."

Sir Francis Younghusband crossed the Gobi Desert on foot and explored it again on a later occasion. Mongolia, where it is positioned, as a Lamaistic Buddhist country, owed spiritual fealty to the Dalai Lama in Tibet. Sir Francis told me one day of a mysterious Mongolian whom he had met and who without uttering a single word aloud, purely by telepathic contact, had powerfully influenced his mind and given it a greatly broader spiritual outlook. Many years later I met this same adept, then an exile in Cambodia from his native land which had fallen to the Communist-atheist regime. Through the services of an educated Chinese disciple who was with him, we were able to converse about Buddhism and other matters. He gave out a teaching which formed the basis of mentalism and which was occasionally so subtle that it went above my head, but which I understood sufficiently to revolutionize my outlook. Some of its tenets were incorporated in the mentalism explained in my books The Hidden Teaching Beyond Yoga and The Wisdom of the Overself.(P)

Hi Pohaikawahine, Skull, et all,

There is another thing about the teachings of the two Mathatmas, K.H. and M., that I like. It is related to the story of Genesis in the Bible. In my opinion, one of the problems with Genesis is that is has been handed down from one culture to another culture and then to another. (I think it is much older that the version that Judiasm now possesses.) It was translated from language to language, and I think some misakes crept in during this process. I also think that changes have been intentionally made to the story as the centuries have gone by.

The two Mathatmas, K.H. and M., say they have access to the original story, written in its original language. They have provided us with a translation directly from its original language into English. However, even though that direct English translation now exists, it is difficult to understand. Someone has taken that difficult English translation, re-worded it into easy-to-understand English, and published it as a book.

Home | O Lanoo! ~ The Secret Doctrine Unveiled

I think everyone will find this story a fascinating read.

Nick, et al,

Regarding the Genesis story, I can heartily recommend another contribution from esoteric sources:

The book is entitled Lemurian Scrolls, and can be read online at this link - or ordered from numerous sources. As with Lanoo Harvey's contribution, this book is a much easier read than picking up something like The Secret Doctrine, or even its abridgement.

Namaskar

The Theosophists of the late 19th century were not (and are not now) the only source for information on the reality of the Brothers or their Occult Brotherhood. But some, like WQ Judge, were so clear and inspiring:

Among many ideas brought forward through the theosophical movement there are three which should never be lost sight of. Not speech, but thought, really rules the world; so, if these three ideas are good let them be rescued again and again from oblivion.

The first idea is, that there is a great Cause - in the sense of an enterprise - called the Cause of Sublime Perfection and Human Brotherhood. This rests upon the essential unity of the whole human family, and is a possibility because sublimity in perfectness and actual realization of brotherhood on every plane of being are one and the same thing. All efforts by Rosicrucian, Mystic, Mason and Initiate are efforts toward the convocation in the hearts and minds of men of the Order of Sublime Perfection.

The second idea is, that man is a being Who may be raised up to perfection, to the stature of the Godhead, because he himself is God incarnate. This noble doctrine was in the mind of Jesus, no doubt, when he said that we must be perfect even as is the father in heaven. This is the idea of human perfectibility. It will destroy the awful theory of inherent original sin which has held and ground down the western Christian nations for centuries.

The third idea is the illustration, the proof, the high result of the others. It is, that the Masters those who have reached up to what perfection this period of evolution and this solar system will allow are living, veritable facts, and not abstractions cold and distant. They are, as our old H. P. B. so often said, living men. And she said, too, that a shadow of woe would come to those who should say they were not living facts, who should assert that "the Masters descend not to this plane of ours." The Masters as living facts and high ideals will fill the soul with hope, will themselves help all who wish to raise the human race.

Let us not forget these three great ideas.

WILLIAM Q. JUDGE

Last edited:
Skull, and Friends,

Agreed, wholeheartedly, and thanks for bringing again this quote to light. Indeed, this is all the proof needed - for those who have open ears, eyes and mind - that such a Brotherhood already exists ... on the subjective levels, Humanity having the opportunity at present to help make such [Right Human Relations] manifest objectively.

So Let it Be!

Skull,

Thanks for posting that passage from The Secret Doctrine of the Khmers. It’s nice to know that we can still hear what the Mahatmas are doing, especially since they no longer make themselves known among members of the Theosophical Society (as has been mentioned).

The way I see it, the Mahatmas are the group of people who wrote the original book which has been handed down to us over the centuries, and which now comes to us as the book of Genesis. It is conforting to know that the people who wrote the original Genesis are still around and are still trying to help us.

Back