An Approach to the Gospel-deprived

S

screwup

hey everyone,

i was wondering if any of you could make any criticisms on this exe/eiso-gesis of luke 12.41-48. some of the conclusions i come to may be very false, so please rebuke accordingly.

ive always been a little dubious about how God's justice is present in Gospel-deprived situations. when i say Gospel-deprived situations, i'm talking about situations such as abortive infant deaths, peoples in the world that have never heard the Gospel (ie, feudal Japan in the pre-Tokugawa era and past) and other numerous situations that have occurred and are occurring in the world where God's creation have never heard of the Gospel and are dying as we speak. i've wondered what happens to these people: do they go to hell? if they do, doesn't that demean God's supreme justice and righteousness? because thats really unfair if these people go to hell because they weren't even given a fair exposure to the Good News. the people i've asked regarding this dilemma have responded by saying, "look at God's justice and love throughout the Bible. i think you can safely assume that God would send those people to heaven" or "i would surely like to believe so considering the example of love and mercy he set through Jesus Christ." however, these were not the best responses for me because it didnt come directly from the Bible and were just speculations at best. but as i was reading Luke last night (and not even thinking about this subject at all), God led me to Luke 12.41-48:

41Peter said, "Lord, are you telling this parable for us or for all?" 42And the Lord said, "Who then is the faithful and wise manager, whom his master will set over his household, to give them their portion of food at the proper time? 43Blessed is that servant[a] whom his master will find so doing when he comes. 44Truly, I say to you, he will set him over all his possessions. 45But if that servant says to himself, 'My master is delayed in coming,' and begins to beat the male and female servants, and to eat and drink and get drunk, 46the master of that servant will come on a day when he does not expect him and at an hour he does not know, and will cut him in pieces and put him with the unfaithful. 47And that servant who knew his master's will but did not get ready or act according to his will, will receive a severe beating. 48But the one who did not know, and did what deserved a beating, will receive a light beating. Everyone to whom much was given, of him much will be required, and from him to whom they entrusted much, they will demand the more.

when Christ is explaining his parable, we see that he is speaking in context of a 'master-and-servant' relationship.
Christ says "that servant" (in reference to the servant who squandered his time) in the beginning of verse 47 and then "the one" in verse 48. does he say this to distinguish between "servants" as in "believers of Christ" and "the one" as in "Gospel-deprived"? i looked at these two verses in 8 different translations and all of them except 2 (which were questionable translations) distinguished verse 47 as "the servant" and verse 48 as "the one." this is my first piece of evidence in support of the view that he is referencing to the Gospel-deprived in verse 48 and not the Gospel-exposed.

with this evidence in mind, the argument can be made that when Christ said "servant" in verse 47, he was referring to people who have heard the Gospel and proclaim to be believers because in verse 48, he says "but the one who did not know, and did what deserved a beating, will receive a light beating" in reference to the Gospel-deprived because it would not make sense if he meant "the one" in reference to another type of servant. i could see why one could easily think Christ is referring to believers in verse 48, but i believe he isnt. because if you are a "servant" of the "master," it is unlikely you can be ignorant of what his will is since the nature of a servant is to know the will of his master. that is what makes the debauched and evil deeds of the "servant" that Christ is talking about in the parable so very wicked--because he KNOWS the master's will yet squanders his life. thus, "the one who did not know, and did what deserved a beating, will receive a light beating" because "the one who did not know" is not a servant, which means someone who is Gospel-deprived.

what is the "master's will" exactly? in the parable, the servant did not carry out the master's will by not being a "faithful and wise manager, whom his master will set over his household, to give them their portion of food at the proper time (v.42)" what does this mean? that God has set us over the lost, his "household", to share the Gospel, or to "give them their portion of food at the proper time." thus, Christ has to be talking about the Gospel-deprived when he says "the one" in verse 48 because otherwise that would mean "but the one [servant/follower of God] who did not know [that he was supposed to share the Gospel]..." everyone who believes in the Gospel knows that he is supposed to share it. thus, in verse 48, Christ is specifically talking about those that never heard the Gospel.

more supporting evidence of Christ's mercy on the Gospel-deprived argument is John 15.22.

something to note: Christ first mentions our responsibility to share the Gospel in verse 42. he then emphasizes this responsibility to share the Gospel in verse 44: "he will set him over all his possessions." He emphasizes this again in the last sentence of verse 48: "everyone to whom much was given, of him much will be required, and from him to whom they entrusted much, they will demand the more." God's mercy is complete upon the Gospel-deprived but God emphasizes so much more in his parable our responsibility to share it. isn't that interesting?

the issue of beatings is what i believe to be Christ's propensity to use hyperboles. for example, when Christ says "i have not come to call the righteous but sinners to repentance (luke 5.32)" he doesnt really mean THE righteous (the righteousness that comes from faith). he is referring to the people that think they're righteous or "look" righteous (the pharisees). i think Christ means the same thing when he says they will receive a "light beating." Christ means that the Gospel-deprived are spared. spared as in they go to heaven? i don't think i could be as emphatic about that. what is for sure is that God definitely has mercy on them, whatever that means in eternal terms.
my main struggle against this entire argument is reconciling it with Romans 1.18-20:

18For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who by their unrighteousness suppress the truth. 19For what can be known about God is plain to them, because God has shown it to them. 20For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse.

I know infants who die early are exempt from this, but these verses doom Gospel-deprived peoples. so I like to think about John 15.22 because this is directly out of the mouth of Christ, which takes precedence over Paul. however, i know that this is insufficient and just a latching onto something that i wish was truly complete in my mind (Paul's word is just as good as God's, after all). So I realize the more important thing to see is that there is no way i can put God in a box. once i think ive got Christ figured out, he throws me another curveball and His will becomes mysterious again--which is where i should be. God says in Exodus 20.4 to not make ourselves a carved image because by doing so we limit His capacity and demeans the very nature of his Awesomeness, which can lead to my pride and my own glorification as every sinful part of me tries to do. even for an argument for something like this which tries to uplift God's mercy can be a confining of God's character, who is more than just merciful. He is God and i am not.

my only advice on this at the moment is not to try & TRUMP other scriptures like a card game. it is all one Word, so when you say what Jesus says is more important than what Moses or the Apostles said, you wont be getting a good balance that way in your studies.

if your foundation is strong in the death, burial & resurrection of Jesus Christ then all the other things will come together over time.

someone else will need to speak on the specifics of your questions here:) .

Hi Screw-Up ;)

Welcome to CR!

The Short answer to your question is: no those who have never heard the Good word do not automatically go to hell. God's grace is shed on them in such cases.

However, it is also clear in the Bible, that onto every man's heart is written the Laws of God, and by these he will be judged pertaining to his life. As for children and people who are incapacitated to the point of being child like in heart and mind and soul, Grace is upon them prior to the age of ascent (knowing right from wrong or good from evil).

Finally, there is a passage (a favorite of mine) "If man knows to give good things to his children, how much more will God give to us."

Hope this helps.

v/r

Q

Quahom1 said:
Hi Screw-Up ;)

Welcome to CR!

The Short answer to your question is: no those who have never heard the Good word do not automatically go to hell. God's grace is shed on them in such cases.

However, it is also clear in the Bible, that onto every man's heart is written the Laws of God, and by these he will be judged pertaining to his life. As for children and people who are incapacitated to the point of being child like in heart and mind and soul, Grace is upon them prior to the age of ascent (knowing right from wrong or good from evil).

Finally, there is a passage (a favorite of mine) "If man knows to give good things to his children, how much more will God give to us."

Hope this helps.

v/r

Q
:) Romans 2

screwup said:
hey everyone,

i was wondering if any of you could make any criticisms on this exe/eiso-gesis of luke 12.41-48. some of the conclusions i come to may be very false, so please rebuke accordingly.

it is my belief that matthew 8;12 is talking about the ones of the slave class that started to turn on the faithful slaves when things did not happen as they thought it should. it is all happening in this time of the end. the time of the end started in 1914 when Jesus was made king of Gods heavenly kingdom goverment.
whereas the sons of the kingdom will be thrown into the darkness outside. There is where [their] weeping and the gnashing of [their] teeth will be .matthew 8;12 they are in darkness and nolonger is Jesus with them .but the faithful slave is now being enlightened by Jesus christ and has been given great responsibility in this time of the end

I think what Paul says in Romans is in accord with the servant-master parable, though I think the parable has other meanings as well (which I won't bring up here, since it isn't directly relevant to this thread).

The parable reinforces that God will be graceful towards those who are unable to know or understand the gospel, but that doesn't mean they get a "get into heaven free" card. Each person is held responsible for their actions and thoughts/beliefs by God, but according to the unique situation that person is in. Thus, God knows our heart and knows what opportunities we have had to learn of Him and His will for us, and He judges us perfectly and accordingly. If we have been given the opportunity to hear God's messages to us, to know of Christ's love, to know of His will for our lives and we reject it because we are lazy or prideful, we are judged harshly by God because we were given much, and thus much was expected. However, if we have environmental or other obstacles to our knowing Christ and God's will, we are judged accordingly with more mercy, because we didn't have the same opportunities. I do not think, by the way, that God decides person A will have the opportunity and person B won't. It is an unfortunate consequence of humankind's poor decisions that renders us all divided into nations that are unequal in human rights, meeting material needs, and so forth. God is simply working around our screw-ups so as to achieve perfect judgment.

Paul in Romans does not refute this, in my understanding. There is a difference between knowing Christ and the gospel, and knowing God. Many people from many cultures know God without knowing the gospels and Christ. Paul is saying the God's existence and what is right is writ large in creation itself and instilled in our own hearts, providing a sacred text that is universal and can be understood by everyone. God gave the scriptures to the Jews, but He gave creation to us all. And thus we all can know Him and what is right, for it is written in all creation and on our own hearts. Therefore, we are judged accordingly.

Just because someone has not known the Gospels or Christ does not excuse the person from wrong-doing or denying God, because God gave that person creation and the divine spark in his/her own heart, which will lead all who seek to God. Yet some of us are blessed to receive further instruction, and so we are held to a higher standard of responsibility.

Back