Calling all veggies

Yep, but you have to keep crazy :kitty:s who like the smell/taste of mayo/whipped salad dressing away from your head during treatment (don't ask. :rolleyes: :D)

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

My cat washed my hair the other day!!!! And I wasn't even wearing any dessert toppings :D

Snoopy.

Snoopy said:
My cat washed my hair the other day!!!! And I wasn't even wearing any dessert toppings :D

Snoopy.

Mine did the same thing!? First time I ever had a cat "groom" me. Have no idea what started it, didn't ask for it . But it didn't feel bad either. :D

Well my hair was clean, dry and dessert topping free, so I took it to be a sign of afffection! :)

(Either that or he took pity on me for not being able to give myself an all over wash like cats can!);)

Snoopy.

Snoopy said:
Well my hair was clean, dry and dessert topping free, so I took it to be a sign of afffection! :)

(Either that or he took pity on me for not being able to give myself an all over wash like cats can!);)

Snoopy.

But that is where water comes in. They got the tongue, we got the H2O. And we definitely do not have to worry about coughing up "furballs"...

Snoopy said:
I do recall (another faulty memory?) seeing a programme about a British Buddhist monastery where the monks ceremonially blew on the soles of their feet in rememberance of any creatures that they may have walked on.

Snoopy.

The mantra is 'OM KRECHA RAGHANA HUM HRI SVAHA'.
Say that 3 or 7 times and blow on your feet or tyres.

namaste,

to me, remembering the things in my life that i have helped in their passing away makes me humble, not to mention, it also reminds me of the impermanence of all things. not to mention, since all beings inter-are, then why not remember those in which you have helped pass on? maybe thats just me, but its a real humbling experience.

now, i dont always blow on my feet or tires and recite a mantra, but i do try to take time while meditating to think of all the beings that i harm or kill within my day due to my lack of complete mindfulness.

be well in peace

moseslmpg said:
Why would you do that though? What does remembering things you've killed do for you?

Well, no life is throw away. Though some might go to extremes on the attoning for taking life of an ant or a mite. My take on this is that everything is here for a purpose. Algae has a purpose, but is eaten by the fish. Fish have a purpose but are eaten by the bear, and the otter, and man. Bear, Otter have purpose but they feed nature and man (or clothe him).

Even man, eventually gives to nature by returning (bodily) back to the soil, and the chain of life starts again.

However, I think the point is that we can not take life for granted, and some folk go to extremes to remind us of that fact.

Awaiting_the_fifth said:
Hi Vaj,

Yes, I know about quorn and that was indeed the mainstay of my veggie diet. In fact, Quorn was first discovered in my home town of Middlesbrough at the ICI chemical plant.

BUT BEWARE

Too much quorn actually causes anal leakage!

Just thought I better warn you.

Peace
ATF

Has anyone tried "Loma Linda" or "Worthington" products? Some of them are quite good (and some are, well...).

My cat never tries to groom me, but he is always so critical about my clothes. {You're not wearing THAt tie with that jacket are you?} Sheesh :D

Here's a thought. Suppose the cow is a Bodhisattva who would sacrifice it's own life for the benefit of other sentient beings. Who then am I to deny this sentient being the opportunity of generating good karma by sustaining me? Bearing in mind that this cow has been my mother and father who nutured and cared for me in previous lives. What a selfish act on my part! Akin to rejecting your parents support through school. Nope, instead you reckon you’re gonna save them the financial suffering and give school a miss. :D

Hi Samabudhi,

I firmly believe that eating animal foods is detrimental to health. With that knowledge, eating a steak or drinking a glass of milk would be an act of violence and disrespect to this body we have been blessed with, that in itself carries its own karmic load I would rather do without!!!

Hi Samabudhi,

I firmly believe that eating animal foods is detrimental to health. With that knowledge, eating a steak or drinking a glass of milk would be an act of violence and disrespect to this body we have been blessed with, that in itself carries its own karmic load I would rather do without!!!

Namaste AndreG,

thank you for the post.

would you mind elaborating a bit more on why drinking milk would produce negative vipaka?

metta,

~v

Namaste AndreG,

thank you for the post.

would you mind elaborating a bit more on why drinking milk would produce negative vipaka?

metta,

~v

Namaste Vajradhara,

I believe that consumption of animal products, dairy included, is detrimental to our health and because of that it will slow Sadhana.

Do you agree?

Blessings,
A

Namaste Vajradhara,

I believe that consumption of animal products, dairy included, is detrimental to our health and because of that it will slow Sadhana.

Do you agree?

Blessings,
A

Namaste Andre,

thank you for the post.

i would have to disagree with such an assessment. of the various food items which are prohibited in the Vinya there are included no dairy groups though there are some variations to the actual implementation of the Vinya in this particular aspect especially.

i would agree, of course, that there is significant negative vipaka involved in the consumption of animal flesh and i generally recommend a vegetarian diet to everyone :)

metta,

~v

Namaste Andre,

thank you for the post.

i would have to disagree with such an assessment. of the various food items which are prohibited in the Vinya there are included no dairy groups though there are some variations to the actual implementation of the Vinya in this particular aspect especially.

i would agree, of course, that there is significant negative vipaka involved in the consumption of animal flesh and i generally recommend a vegetarian diet to everyone :)

metta,

~v

Namaste V,

I believe that as our understanding of the natural world evolves so should our spiritual practice. It is well documented that dairy has ill effects on a persons health, especially the dairy of today. Ill health is certainly detrimental to Sadhana.

ex: Ghee has been documented as Satvic; we know now that clarified butter is anything BUT healthy and balancing - even more so when heated and cooked with. Should I still eat Ghee because of an antiquated belief which is rooted in cultural dogma?

Have a wonderful Holy-day season :)
Andre

Bringing it back to the original question:
Would drinking milk produce negative vipaka?

Yes, if the 'drinker' is aware of the implications of drinking milk, and does so anyway. To me, that implies a lack of responsibility.

I hope I am not coming across as 'Holier than thou'
I am often an irresponsible person ;)

Back