Calling all veggies

That is due to the fact that it would make me violently ill, as it would to any other vegetarian that has been that way for a while.

I've been a vegetarian for over 20 years, and I'd bet* I could eat and 8 ounce steak and not get "violently ill".

But it probably would make my poop stinkier than normal.

I'll grant you that.

*Imaginary bet. I don't plan on changing my diet over a forum post.

I quit eating store bought beef/pork in 82, foul in 83, still ate what got in front of my gun or others and ate it if I knew its name (friend raised). Basically that cut me back about 98%. Quit huntin and eaten land meats altogether in '86. Still not vegetarian, I eat sushi and eggs, cheese.

But in 85 was out campin and ate some soup that contained pork...I was the only one that got sick...and it wasn't pretty...

I've been a vegetarian for over 20 years, and I'd bet* I could eat and 8 ounce steak and not get "violently ill".

But it probably would make my poop stinkier than normal.

I'll grant you that.

*Imaginary bet. I don't plan on changing my diet over a forum post.
I'm only going on my own experience and what others have said on other (vegetarian) forums. It's certainly not a scientific sampling ;)

I quit eating store bought beef/pork in 82, foul in 83, still ate what got in front of my gun or others and ate it if I knew its name (friend raised). Basically that cut me back about 98%. Quit huntin and eaten land meats altogether in '86. Still not vegetarian, I eat sushi and eggs, cheese.

But in 85 was out campin and ate some soup that contained pork...I was the only one that got sick...and it wasn't pretty...

I can understand an outcome like that. It could also be the kinds of meat that would do that, like any of the "red" meats. I had to give up red meat in '91 because it was making me ill. Chicken didn't do that to me, nor seafood. I gave it all up in 2001. These days, the smell of meat cooking bothers me some, so I try to notice only my own food's aromas :)

Exactly - it's choice, and it's a personal decision.

You deride the value of meat, yet gram for gram aren't both lean red, white, and fish meat proteins more useful, easily digested, and nutritious, than the equivalent from vegetable sources? Especially if we're talking about organic and local product as opposed to factory farmed animals?

Also, nuts proportionally contain a lot of protein - but also a lot of fats. Someone who got all their protein from nuts alone might find themselves facing other health issues? :)

As ever, variety and moderation are simple truths when it comes to diet.

The bizarre thing is that this discussion is being continued by vegetarians, who for the most part, regard diet as personal choice.

I just personally find evangelising diet choices to be somewhat sanctimonious, especially as there are so many different facets of any individual's modern life that can easily subjected to criticisms from so many ethical angles - that I think someone who stands on their soapbox about vegeatarian (or vegan) issues really needs to demonstrate white-than-white credentials.

Hi Brian,

Here's to a second shot at a civil discussion between us :D;)

No, the amino acids are MORE readily available/easier to digest in greens than they are in flesh.

Yes I do not recommend large quantities of nuts. They are mostly fat.

Yea thats a good point, I wish there were some carnivores in this discussion.

I quit eating meat a couple weeks ago. I'm feeling better, and have more energy now. What I hate are the jokes that I have become the butt end of. Yeah, my friends are giving me a hard time. Pft, I don't criticize them for eating meat, so I'm not sure what they have to be so critical of my decision not to. Boggles my mind, actually.

To each their own I guess, as for me .... I am meat free and will stay this way. I doubt we'll be eating other animals beyond the pearly gates, so why the hell should I eat other animals now? Makes since to me to rely on fruits and veggies, nuts and berries, grain and milk products. There's plenty to eat besides meat, no?

As far as getting an appropriate amount of protein in my diet ....What do you all think about those chocolate protein powders? I drank them years ago when I was trying to build muscle, and liked them very much.

GK

Hi Gatekeeper

Wil is right in his statement that the SAD (standard american diet) is way too high in protein. A diet high in protein will lead to a mineral deficiency and weak, fragile, soft bones, among other things.

If you are eating plenty of fresh vegetables, a moderate amount of seeds/nuts and fruit, you are most likely getting enough amino acids in your diet.

Protein powders frighten me, they are still refined.

If you are worried about protein I would recommend finding a whole foods rich in amino acids. Hemp seeds are high in amino acids.

That is the rationale for my statement. So long as we inhabit bodies, we cannot discount the effect of that body on anything we do, including meditation and/or other spiritual practices. And I have found that consuming reasonable amounts of fish or chicken has little effect in that regard (though others report such an effect from any meat whatever), but red meat does introduce a heaviness and arouse discordant vibrations in the body, which in turn interfere with meditation.

Jai Ram
Art

Thanks for sharing your experience with fish and chicken.
I have recently started drinking raw goat milk, I feel good drinking it.
Eggs do not sit well, nor does any pasteurized dairy.

Back