Prophecy

Postmaster

Reaction score
I want to talk about prophecy. People in history claim to have knowledge of the future and makes it into religious texts. For some reasons it's so we can identify a promised one and other times for the glory to come. Then of course there is negative out comes such as apocalyptic and destructive happenings. Then there are people who write of future events that are not so closely related to religion. What do you make of prophecy? Is there a science to it? Or is it a pseudo art? Or is it a genuinely devinely inspired prediction? If I had to make a prophecy, I personally believe in a medical and pharmaceutical revolution within my life time but I would say it's down to a sensible prediction. Is that all prophecy is?

Of note, two of history's greatest seers, Nostradamus and Edgar Cayce, were physicians. Long before his Quatrains, Michel de Nostredame was an accomplished apothecary and "assisted the prominent physician Louis Serre in his fight against a major plague-outbreak in Marseille, and then tackled further outbreaks of disease on his own in Salon-de-Provence and in the regional capital, Aix-en-Provence." (from Wikipedia) Only later, did Nostradamus write down his prophecies, some of which have never been found or published to this day. I believe that he had Divine assistance in writing many of his predictions, such that they are true inspiration, or Revelation. But they also serve as warnings, and are not necessarily meant to indicate what will happen, but what might. And there's the rub!

Edgar Cayce, sometimes called "the other Nostradamus," came from a fundamentalist Christian background and had no medical training, yet he gave more than 14,000 "readings" during a period of 43 years (1901 to 1944). This includes 9,603 "health readings," involving accurate diagnoses and cures for all varieties of ills - including many, many cases where mainstream science could do nothing for the patient, even sometimes when doctors had told the patient that they would surely die. This man did not take money for his readings unless it was offered, his family often struggled just to make ends meet (working during the Great Depression and the World Wars, as he did), yet he did manage to open a hospital in which he could treat patients with his cures - although the stock market crash of 1929 forced him to close it. Here is what Edgar Cayce said of it:
"I told them I have nothing to sell. I am not a doctor, nor a professor. I do not treat in any way, manner, or form. I have little or nothing of this world's goods, yet I believe that if it be the Lord's work, it will succeed. If it is not, it has no right to succeed, nor any place in man's life. Those, however, who seek assistance through these forces surely know that the physical man must be supplied with the physical needs. Therefore, we depend upon those for whom readings are given for contributions sufficient to take care of the needs of the hour, and for the propagation of the truths that do mean, and have meant, so much in the lives of so many. Freely ye have received, freely give."
Ye shall know them by their fruits ... :)

Dozens more modern-day prophets exist; these are just two, both legitimate, imo and findings. I am much more interested in Edgar Cayce, and in his own readings he explained much about the (several) sources of his information. This included, but was not limited to, the Akashic Records, as well as the astral light (I suspect), these two existing spiritually in the relationship of Book to scraps & distorted fragments thereof, respectively. But whether or not Cayce was always accurate, it is the nature, the motivation, and the methods of his work - which seems of greatest signficance to me. Along with the fact, that it was overwhelmingly performed in the spirit of Service to others.

I think there are sufficient cases, aside from Cayce's, from within the past 150 years, which evidence fully satisfactorily for all but the hardened skeptic, that there is "something to prophecy." Further, I think that many of the various methods have been well documented, discussed, expounded, and as far as we can tell, accurately accounted for. Even the requirements for verifying some of these prophecies ... are quite in line with the tenets of most of the worlds religions - with an emphasis on purity of character/body/mind, an inward & outward self-discipline, and an unfailing persistence, a spiritual aspiration.

While with regard to some of the more profound predictions there remains a shroud of mystery - such as the hour of the return of Christ ... there are other predictions which I feel comfortable saying I can observe on a daily basis, since they have already come to pass, and quite objectively so. Yet many such matters remain cases of interpretation, and are obviously open to doubt. Edgar Cayce said that Atlantis would rise in 1968 or 1969. I have not read that actual prediction, but people generally say things like, Obviously, the man was wrong. But was he? The "Bimini Road" was discovered in 1968, and there are many who consider this exactly what Edgar Cayce was referring to. Also, the so-called "Hall of Records" was said by Cayce (in 1941) to lie beneath the front, left paw of the Guardian Sphinx, in Egypt. He was apparently right, as such a chamber has been detected, and sonar imaging does suggest that it is not empty. Some are content that there is nothing there to discover, while others are unconvinced. The fact is, continued discovery of many chambers beneath the Sphinx & Great Pyramid ... has become an almost regular occurrence! But in this case, Edgar Cayce's time frame of "1996 to 1998" seems to be - off.

cheers,

andrew

prophecy of the bible never fails in the past, its happening right now , and it will happen in the near future also. it always comes trueThe Source of all true prophecy is Jehovah God
The fact that many prophecies were fulfilled in their own times convinced sincere ones of God’s power to carry out his purpose despite all opposition. It was proof of his unique Godship that he, and he alone, could foretell such events and bring them to pass.
Remember the first things of a long time ago, that I am the Divine One and there is no other God, nor anyone like me; 10 the One telling from the beginning the finale, and from long ago the things that have not been done; the One saying, ‘My own counsel will stand, and everything that is my delight I shall do’; 11 the One calling from the sunrising a bird of prey, from a distant land the man to execute my counsel. I have even spoken [it]; I shall also bring it in. I have formed [it], I shall also do it. ........... isaiah 46;9-11 nothing can stop Gods purpose from happening , it always comes true

I am familiar with Cayce's work and have always wondered about those specific dates which seem very black and white and clearly prove him incorrect. But then again, the dates rarely give the century, for example '68 instead of 1968. Don't get me wrong, I'm not offering this as an excuse or saying that we all just need to wait many more years before he's proven wrong (and this could continue on and on.. 2068, 2168, etc. - which I am not a fan of).

I wanted to make that point and see if anyone had something to say about that or other potential reasons for the discrepency other than the obvious of 'he was wrong,' which could be true, but is not near as interesting to talk about. :D

Sarah

Postmaster said:
I want to talk about prophecy. People in history claim to have knowledge of the future and makes it into religious texts. For some reasons it's so we can identify a promised one and other times for the glory to come. Then of course there is negative out comes such as apocalyptic and destructive happenings. Then there are people who write of future events that are not so closely related to religion. What do you make of prophecy? Is there a science to it? Or is it a pseudo art? Or is it a genuinely devinely inspired prediction? If I had to make a prophecy, I personally believe in a medical and pharmaceutical revolution within my life time but I would say it's down to a sensible prediction. Is that all prophecy is?

Prophecy is not so much about telling the future as it is about recognizing the truth.

A prophecy touches the past, present and future all at the same time.

my 2 c,
lunamoth

sara[h]ng said:
I wanted to make that point and see if anyone had something to say about that or other potential reasons for the discrepency other than the obvious of 'he was wrong,' which could be true, but is not near as interesting to talk about. :D

Sarah
My take on it is pretty much in my first post, but to clarify, I think that the messenger (or `prophet') under consideration ... is at least partially to blame for cases of inaccuracy, or what can seem to be ambiguity, obscurity. The example I alluded to was the difference (in some schools of thought) between the "Akashic Records" (it pulls up a quarter of a million hits on Google, or more, without the quotes) ... and the astral light. The former is the parent of the latter, and the fragments in the astral light are often distorted, emotionally charged, or simply incomplete. I do not know much about dates as such, but I have certainly seen some of the images and scenes of the astral light passing before the inner eye. (I think this is something that many people have experienced, as common say, as flying dreams.)

The degree of skill, training, and conscious control (as distinct from the hypnotic, or trance state which Edgar Cayce was capable of entering) - necessary to "read" the Askashic Records, is itself protection enough from the merely curious. My guess is that those with such facility are somewhat rare, and are overwhelmingly committed to a very careful dissemination of anything they might encounter therein. Perhaps, only upon instruction, would a portion of these Records be made known. And that is at least part of what constitutes true Revelation, imo.

Anything given, or received, unconsciously, as through a medium - or via a similar state - is immediately suspect, in my experience. The conscious sibyl, if a carefully trained disciple, would know beyond a shadow of a doubt the source, the nature, the validity, and the precision of the information being dictated, communicated, or "channeled" (as it is often termed). Seems like there would come a certain responsibility, and karma, if one were giving out spurious information or teachings.

Remember, Cayce was asleep when he received/gave his "readings." Upon waking, he would not remember what had been said. And the various "records" were just part of his sources. He also spoke of guides, spirit guides, which imo, were overwhelmingly - if not always - well-intentioned. However, intent cannot guarantee outcome, or even accuracy. I feel somehow certain that there are those on the "other side" who are but little more learned than we, yet who masquerade as great and enlightened teachers. However well-intentioned, this does not make them so. Hmmm, come to think of it, that applies to this world, as well. :p;)

Anyway, some babbling ... maybe it makes sense?

Oops! I completely forgot to simply say, Free Will. That, can make all the difference in the world. (And lucky for us!!!) :)

andrew

Prophecy is not so much about telling the future as it is about recognizing the truth.

Probably one of the best things I read from you! That's just excellent! If there is a truthful path that we are following, a path towards God, and infinite path, it is planed by God and it is Gods will, there for to God it is as Good as already accomplished. It's when we fail to see Gods intensions when we are left behind and turn from him. Prophecy confirms Gods plan and guides are way and recognition of truth. Prophecy out of God works is Pseudo art to me..

Postmaster said:
Probably one of the best things I read from you! That's just excellent! If there is a truthful path that we are following, a path towards God, and infinite path, it is planed by God and it is Gods will, there for to God it is as Good as already accomplished. It's when we fail to see Gods intensions when we are left behind and turn from him. Prophecy confirms Gods plan and guides are way and recognition of truth. Prophecy out of God works is Pseudo art to me..
It's a pleasure to find harmony Postmaster. :) Actually, that one must have been inspired by the Spirit because even after I typed it I felt like it was much too good to have come from myself. peace, lunamoth

to my way of thinking, prophecy and revelation or visions are all related and it happens when the spiralling energy within the body reaches the center of the brain, the holy of holies or the inner sanctum .... edgar cayce was a gifted seer and in his trances (deep meditation) he was able to move this energy to the place that opened his own 'hall of records' .... much of what he wrote (other than his direct references to healing) is, in my view, deeply embedded in symbolism and can be interpreted at many levels (like all symbolism) .... for example he said it would take three to open the 'hall of records' and I don't think this means three people (and I have seen many who claim to be one of the three) .... I believe he refers to the process of whole brain thinking in which the three hemispheres of the brain begin to work together as a whole and become 'One' .... this is part of the process in which revelations or visions take place .... the 'hall of records' or the place of all knowing opens and one is able to cross-over into the world of spirit .... so strange as this may seem, I believe that we are all potential prophets when we learn to walk the night path or return to the inner sanctum in the body itself to open the 'hall of records' as indicated by cayce .... nostradames can be read in the same way, many levels of meaning in which we must seek the deepest level to understand .... these are the meanings within meanings or the 'huna' .... not secret, but sacred meanings .... just my thought to share .... he hawai'i au, pohaikawahine

That is an interesting thought that never occurred to me. How do his descriptions of the exact locations of the Halls fit into the symbolism?

Another thing of his that has always puzzled me is this: he said the Garden of Eden story is symbolic, but he also says that people should not eat raw apples, because that was the fruit involved. Seems a bit dogmatic and illogical?

Sarah

sara[h]ng said:
That is an interesting thought that never occurred to me. How do his descriptions of the exact locations of the Halls fit into the symbolism?

Another thing of his that has always puzzled me is this: he said the Garden of Eden story is symbolic, but he also says that people should not eat raw apples, because that was the fruit involved. Seems a bit dogmatic and illogical?

Sarah
who said it was an apple....not the bible , it just says fruit

sara[h]ng said:

Sarah

aloha e sarah - I don't have the exact references but he seem to say that the records are those that were destroyed in the pyramid (or temple) .... and I have this quote (but not the reference) in my files:

"Yet, as time draws nigh when changes are to come about, there may be the opening of those three places where the records are one, to those that are the initiates in the knowledge of the One G-d.

The temple by Iltar will then rise again. Also there will be the opening of the temple or hall of records in Egypt, and those records that were put into the heart of the Atlantean land may also be found there - that have been kept, for those are of that group.

The RECORDS are ONE." (This may have come from some readings in April 1932 364 series??? .... I have this note on my file but am not sure it was a long time ago that I wrote it)

This note was important because it reflected, in my mind, a clear connection to the concept of whole brain thinking .... the three are One .... and although some see this as the "trinity", I also see it as a reference to the three hemispheres of the brain (the right and left hemisphere and the reptilian brain .... the brain stem which is the oldest part of the brain) .... this is what I mean when I say the three must work together to become whole or One again .... only then can the channels for revelation or visions open .... the energy must move into the center of the brain (the location of the pineal gland or the third eye .... also the place in which we meet G-d face to face .... symbolically speaking .... that place called Peniel in Genesis 32:30) ....

even the pyramid is a restructure of the brain when you look at its parts and how everything works together .... the queen's chamber, the king's chamber, the smaller seven pyramids that an initiate must pass through before reaching the great pyramid .... the inner chamber .... all coded in symbolism .... that is a whole different discussion, but it is all related to what I simply call the ancient line of wisdom which I deeply believe runs through all religions and ancient traditions .... usually those that we call prophets have only found what the rest of us possess but have lost in the deep sleep of daily life .... the knowledge comes in the twilight, just between sleeping and waking .... we release a chemical in the brain called melatonin .... this chemical and others are part of the inner system of healing as well as visions .... even the land of 'milk and honey' which we all seek are I believe related to two of the chemicals released by the brain when we find this inner sanctum .... it is my understanding that when we each find this internal source (the fountain of youth is one symbol) and we become whole brain thinkers again (as we were in the beginning) then we will have the second coming .... as the Hopi say "this is the time in which we will meet ourselves" .... we only need to stop looking outside of ourselves for the person or answer, and the world will change because we have changed our own minds ....he hawai'i au, pohaikawahine

p.s.. I suspect that his readings on healing may be connected to other messages within the stories ... for example while one of the hawaiian chants of creation may contain ancient lines of wisdom related to the inner energy, it also has on another level much information related to the pairing of certain things for healing .... so his comments about raw apples are probably related to a specific healing message .... the garden of eden is a powerful and beautiful metaphor of knowledge ....

Kindest Regards, all!

Not to take away from Nostradamus or Edgar Cayce, but what of the prophecies of Alvin Toffler ("Future Shock") or George Orwell ("1984")? In my humble opinion, these prophecies were far more straight forward, and far more accurate.

juantoo3 said:
Kindest Regards, all!

Not to take away from Nostradamus or Edgar Cayce, but what of the prophecies of Alvin Toffler ("Future Shock") or George Orwell ("1984")? In my humble opinion, these prophecies were far more straight forward, and far more accurate.
Could you give some examples, Juantoo? I have both books right behind me here, and was even a philosophy major undergrad ... but I never read either book! I'd be curious to hear about and discuss some of their specific predictions, methods, etc.

Thanks,

andrew

Brave New World by Huxley did a pretty good job of projecting where the US was headed culturally. Despite being science fiction, it is excellent social commentary.

Sometimes it is hard to see where prophecy ends (in the meaning of foreseeing the future) and just plain good logical guessing begins. But I don't see precognition or retrocognition, or any of the mental abilities (remote viewing, telepathy, etc) as prophecy.

I understand prophecy to be that which Lunamoth defines- a recognition of truth and the capacity to pass on the message to others. Prophecy, in my mind, is thus something that is always relevant in every moment.

Kindest Regards, Taijasi!

Could you give some examples, Juantoo? I have both books right behind me here, and was even a philosophy major undergrad ... but I never read either book! I'd be curious to hear about and discuss some of their specific predictions, methods, etc.

I cannot speak to methodology, although I understand both were sociologists. They were simply astute in looking at human society in combination with politics and where we as societies (in the "developed" world) were headed. Orwell in particular, having written 1984 during WWII, was keen to the technological methods political machines were able to use to advantage to brainwash the populace. I.E.: television. Toffler seemed to me more keen on social developments, predicting such as same-sex marriage becoming an acceptable part of social institutions before even the failed "equal rights" amendment attempt to the US constitution in the '70's.

Last edited:
Kindest Regards, path_of_one!

Brave New World by Huxley did a pretty good job of projecting where the US was headed culturally. Despite being science fiction, it is excellent social commentary.

Huxley is an interesting character in his own right, being a product of the "beat" generation and advocate of psychedelic drug use for the hippy movement. I didn't see "Brave New World" so much as prediction as warning. Although it forshadowed genetic enhancement, he also predicted the family structure being surrendered totally to the state. In other words, no more nuclear families. I will say he had an interesting insight considering the "slight of hand" of occupying the minds of the masses with frivolous and unproductive pursuits designed primarily to stimulate the economy and to keep their eyes and minds off of what was really transpiring in the world. This aspect has analogies in professional sports.

I understand prophecy to be that which Lunamoth defines- a recognition of truth and the capacity to pass on the message to others. Prophecy, in my mind, is thus something that is always relevant in every moment.
From a spiritual / religious aspect I agree. Nevertheless, being able to foresee, by spirit or logical deduction, is quite a gift.

I need to correct myself as I'm certain someone else will do it for me...

Orwell in particular, having written 1984 during WWII, was keen to the technological methods political machines were able to use to advantage to brainwash the populace. I.E.: television.
Orwell did not live to see commercial television available to the public. But he did forsee its value as I mentioned. His focus was on mass media in general.

I took a quick look in my Concordance, I am pretty sure that I read some where that all that spoke of the good news was in fact prophesying. I believe it's in the Epistles. We all come into his light with one gift to start. Growing in the spirit it's given onto us more spiritual gifts which are to heal, educate, serve and minister onto others.
In the old testament there was others which spiritually acted on behalf of God. It was when Saul disobeyed God that it was outlawed to spiritually act outside of Gods Anointed. Back then it was not the gift that was evil but the way you applied that gift. The same stands true today in the open acceptance of all faiths. I believe that Prophecy is true in many forms of life and beliefs,the safe way of approach is to take it before your LORD. Let Jesus direct you in what to believe. Take control of your Will in God's plan with asking directions hence (color of shirt for one to believe in meeting) safe to say God welcomes our requests, it's one sure way to keep us in his word and having it affect our lives.
Please respond if scripture is known, about all who preach ..... are Prophets

Back