Ransom

M

mee

Jesus himself. said: The Son of man came, not to be ministered to, but to minister and to give his soul a ransom [Greek, ly´tron] in exchange for many."—Matthew 20:28
What is a ransom? The Greek word used here comes from a verb meaning "to let loose, to release." This term was used to describe money paid in exchange for the release of prisoners of war. Basically, then, a ransom can be defined as something paid to buy something back
In the Hebrew Scriptures, the word for "ransom" (ko´pher) comes from a verb meaning "to cover." For example, God told Noah that he must "cover" (a form of the same word) the ark with tar. (Genesis 6:14) This helps us appreciate that to ransom also means to cover sins.—Psalm 65:3.
significantly, the Theological Dictionary of the New Testament observes that this word (ko´pher) "always denotes an equivalent," or a correspondency.
the cover of the ark of the covenant had a shape corresponding to the ark itself. Likewise, in order to ransom, or cover, sin, a price must be paid that fully corresponds to, or fully covers, the damage caused by the sin.
In Adam all are dying," said the apostle Paul. (1 Corinthians 15:22) The ransom thus had to involve the death of the exact equal of Adam—a perfect human. (Romans 5:14) No other kind of creature could balance the scales of justice. Only a perfect human, someone not under the Adamic death sentence, could offer "a corresponding ransom"—one corresponding perfectly to Adam. (1 Timothy 2:6)
The apostle Paul explained: "Through one man [Adam] sin entered into the world and death through sin." (Romans 5:12) And "since death is through a man," God provided for the redemption of mankind "through a man." (1 Corinthians 15:21)
Jehovah arranged to have a perfect man voluntarily sacrifice his life. According to Romans 6:23, "the wages sin pays is death." In sacrificing his life, the ransomer would "taste death for every man." In other words, he would pay the wage for Adam’s sin. (Hebrews 2:9; 2 Corinthians 5:21; 1 Peter 2:24)

So, if my neighbor runs over my dog, the only way he can ransom it is by running over his dog? Or maybe God will run over His dog as a ransom for all the dogs that have been run over? It amazes me how badly some Christians want to hang onto the "eye-for-an-eye" thing.

Chris

China Cat Sunflower said:
So, if my neighbor runs over my dog, the only way he can ransom it is by running over his dog? Or maybe God will run over His dog as a ransom for all the dogs that have been run over? It amazes me how badly some Christians want to hang onto the "eye-for-an-eye" thing.

Chris

Or perhaps it worries you... ;-) ,not knowing what a Christian will do...

A shame really. You don't know us very well...

Know what really sucks? You won't know a Christian, until after the fact. And then it is too late, the damage is done.

Question for ya China...do you want to know about Christianity, or not? You don't ask many questions, but sure do post a lot of opinions...

...Against Christianity. Frankly that gets tiring.

your call.

v/r

Q

mee said:
Jesus himself. said: The Son of man came, not to be ministered to, but to minister and to give his soul a ransom [Greek, ly´tron] in exchange for many."—Matthew 20:28
What is a ransom? The Greek word used here comes from a verb meaning "to let loose, to release." This term was used to describe money paid in exchange for the release of prisoners of war. Basically, then, a ransom can be defined as something paid to buy something back
In the Hebrew Scriptures, the word for "ransom" (ko´pher) comes from a verb meaning "to cover." For example, God told Noah that he must "cover" (a form of the same word) the ark with tar. (Genesis 6:14) This helps us appreciate that to ransom also means to cover sins.—Psalm 65:3.
significantly, the Theological Dictionary of the New Testament observes that this word (ko´pher) "always denotes an equivalent," or a correspondency.
the cover of the ark of the covenant had a shape corresponding to the ark itself. Likewise, in order to ransom, or cover, sin, a price must be paid that fully corresponds to, or fully covers, the damage caused by the sin.
In Adam all are dying," said the apostle Paul. (1 Corinthians 15:22) The ransom thus had to involve the death of the exact equal of Adam—a perfect human. (Romans 5:14) No other kind of creature could balance the scales of justice. Only a perfect human, someone not under the Adamic death sentence, could offer "a corresponding ransom"—one corresponding perfectly to Adam. (1 Timothy 2:6)
The apostle Paul explained: "Through one man [Adam] sin entered into the world and death through sin." (Romans 5:12) And "since death is through a man," God provided for the redemption of mankind "through a man." (1 Corinthians 15:21)
Jehovah arranged to have a perfect man voluntarily sacrifice his life. According to Romans 6:23, "the wages sin pays is death." In sacrificing his life, the ransomer would "taste death for every man." In other words, he would pay the wage for Adam’s sin. (Hebrews 2:9; 2 Corinthians 5:21; 1 Peter 2:24)

this is what i see also. not everyone appreciates the Ransom & not very many people still believe in the whole bible. but i do.

I call it as I see it (and pray about it).

I sleep well at night.

v/r

Q

Quahom1 said:
Question for ya China...do you want to know about Christianity, or not? You don't ask many questions, but sure do post a lot of opinions...

...Against Christianity. Frankly that gets tiring.

your call.

v/r

Q

I am a Christian Q, just a different kind of Christian.:)

Chris

I am a Christian Q, just a different kind of Christian.:)

Chris

what kind of christian are you?

a Jesus Christian? i thought you believed Jesus was not a real person?

:D Well, now you know better!

I did ask a question about the Logos on the Why thread if you want to take a crack at that.

Chris

:D Well, now you know better!

I did ask a question about the Logos on the Why thread if you want to take a crack at that.

Chris

"chuckle" yes you did.

Bandit said:
what kind of christian are you?

a Jesus Christian? i thought you believed Jesus was not a real person?
No, I said (earlier) that I don't know if he was or wasn't. I tend to see Christ as a concept rather than a person. There's plenty of precedent for that in the Gnostic gospels. I haven't seen any compelling evidence of a historical Jesus. Josephus is a lousy source, for one thing. But I haven't seen any water tight proof that he wasn't either. It doesn't really matter, I'm a follower of the philosophy of Christ--sometimes not a very good one, but a follower nonetheless.

I don't believe in some standard mainline Christian stuff like the Trinity or everlasting hell, but then neither does Mee I would assume.

Chris

Bandit said:
this is what i see also. not everyone appreciates the Ransom & not very many people still believe in the whole bible. but i do.

Yes, i think you are right, not many do, even thoughthe ransom is Jehovah’s means to deliver, or save, humankind from sin and death. (Ephesians 1:7) To grasp the meaning of this Bible teaching, we need to think back to what happened in the garden of Eden. Only if we understand what Adam lost when he sinned can we appreciate why the ransom is such a valuable gift to us.

No, I said (earlier) that I don't know if he was or wasn't. I tend to see Christ as a concept rather than a person. There's plenty of precedent for that in the Gnostic gospels. I haven't seen any compelling evidence of a historical Jesus. Josephus is a lousy source, for one thing. But I haven't seen any water tight proof that he wasn't either. It doesn't really matter, I'm a follower of the philosophy of Christ--sometimes not a very good one, but a follower nonetheless.

I don't believe in some standard mainline Christian stuff like the Trinity or everlasting hell, but then neither does Mee I would assume.

Chris

i dont believe in a lot of that stuff either, but i believe Jesus is a real person & that he is alive.

mee said:

Yes, i think you are right, not many do, even thoughthe ransom is Jehovah’s means to deliver, or save, humankind from sin and death. (Ephesians 1:7) To grasp the meaning of this Bible teaching, we need to think back to what happened in the garden of Eden. Only if we understand what Adam lost when he sinned can we appreciate why the ransom is such a valuable gift to us.

i agree.
without adam, the whole story & purpose of redemption through Jesus is rather bizzare & stupid.

2 cents

When he created Adam, Jehovah gave him something truly precious—perfect human life. Consider what that meant for Adam. Made with a perfect body and mind, he would never get sick, grow old, or die. but we all know what happened ,he passed on death ..romans 5;12
So, what would cover the value of the perfect human soul, or life, that Adam lost? Another perfect human life was the "corresponding ransom" that was required.—1 Timothy 2:6
Since a perfect human life was lost, no imperfect human life could ever buy it back. (Psalm 49:7, 8) What was needed was a ransom equal in value to what was lost.
How did Jehovah provide the ransom? He sent one of his perfect spirit sons to the earth. But Jehovah did not send just any spirit creature. He sent the one most precious to him, his only-begotten Son. (1 John 4:9, 10)

Back