What Denomination Are You?

The OP didn't mention Gideons... Who knows about the Gideons?? Question comes to mind because I've left my bible at work.... And as I have no intention of going there in my days off I am using one of my many other relgious books... One flaw... It is only the Psalms and the NT.... I was curious to why the OT wasn't within this book so (finally) decided to start reading the cover pages.... And it says "You probally know that Gideons have given you this book." Well, no I didn't lol... It was handed out in school.... Got my name and athe date of 03/07/1996 on it... The Gideon page goes on to say how they got their name, but not their belifes and so on.... Anyone got the basics?

Any reply is appreicated.

---EDIT---

Jase sorry about the sore point.

The OP didn't mention Gideons... Who knows about the Gideons?? Question comes to mind because I've left my bible at work.... And as I have no intention of going there in my days off I am using one of my many other relgious books... One flaw... It is only the Psalms and the NT.... I was curious to why the OT wasn't within this book so (finally) decided to start reading the cover pages.... And it says "You probally know that Gideons have given you this book." Well, no I didn't lol... It was handed out in school.... Got my name and athe date of 03/07/1996 on it... The Gideon page goes on to say how they got their name, but not their belifes and so on.... Anyone got the basics?

Any reply is appreicated.
I know the little book you are referring to, Alex. The Gideons, near as I can tell, are a group set up to distribute the Bible far and wide. They distribute the little NT as well as the complete OT + NT. Not sure what denomination they are most closely aligned with, but the Bibles they distribute are KJV. Those Bibles can be found in motel rooms, jail cells and military boot camps, and many other places. My "teddy bear" KJV that has been across the US multiple times over some almost 30 years and holds all of my personal study notes, is a Gideon's KJV that I picked up while in the Navy.

From The Gideons International page:
The Gideons International is an interdenominational association of Christian business and professional men who are members of Protestant/evangelical churches. Our members are dedicated to saving the lost through personal witnessing and the distribution of God's Word in more than 180 countries around the world.​
From this page:

Scripture Distribution Around the World

Having God's Word can lead people to faith in Christ, and those new Christians can then grow by studying their Scriptures and even use them to share their faith with others.
For this reason, we focus on distributing complete Bibles or New Testaments. These Scriptures are printed in more than 80 languages and are either given directly to certain individuals or placed in selected public locations where large numbers of people who may be searching for answers will have the ability to encounter the Word of God.
Distributing complete copies of God's Word also . . .

• Plants powerful seeds that God can use in His timing. (I Corinthians 3:6)
  • Allows people to read the truth for themselves. (John 8:32)
  • Provides a continuing witness when the Gideon is no longer present. (Hebrews 4:12)
  • Makes it easier for the people we reach to in turn reach others with the truth about Jesus. (II Timothy 2:2)
  • Makes it possible for new Christians to learn and grow through personal Bible study.
    (II Timothy 2:15)
It seems that their beliefs are bible based, and their practice is to "spread the Word."

wow... Red plastic (made to llook like leather) cover? Gold writing on front and a symbol; a circle.... with a pot of some kind in the center by the bottom?

You have one of these? lol.... Amazing. :D

---EDIT---

Woah check out SG... Thanks for that informative reply!

wow... Red plastic (made to llook like leather) cover? Gold writing on front and a symbol; a circle.... with a pot of some kind in the center by the bottom?

You have one of these? lol.... Amazing. :D
Not quite, mine is far more plain. I didn't pick it up for the outside... ;)

I only picked it up cause it got me out of my lesson 30mins early to go collect it. Sat in my bag for a long long time.... It just would of been crazy if you had the same copy lol.. I would go upstairs and get my military issued bible (because it has the OT which I am trying to focus on right now.) But I would have to go through the attic office and would see my partners brides dress which she is working on. So this will do for now.

(because it has the OT which I am trying to focus on right now.) quote]

I hope the translators have not forgotten to focus on the most important part of the bible. PSALM 83;18

but more than likely their focus went a long time ago.
but no worries we all know who has not lost their focus , And now the (new world translation) is a bright light that is very clear indeed.

That people may know that you, whose name is JEHOVAH
You alone are the Most High over all the earth.
psalm 83;18

Mee... If you didn't have your New world translation of the holy scriptures... And no way of getting it, say you are on a desert island... However a bible washes up, Would you not read this book?

In this book that is changed, in this one that is, and this is and in that one this is... And.......

End of the day it is still the word of YHWH... It holds value even if some bits are changed

Mee... If you didn't have your New world translation of the holy scriptures... And no way of getting it, say you are on a desert island... However a bible washes up, Would you not read this book?

In this book that is changed, in this one that is, and this is and in that one this is... And.......

End of the day it is still the word of YHWH... It holds value even if some bits are changed
very true , it still has value:) its a shame when the most important name in the bible is took away though, i have many bibles on my bookcase that have done just that .

but i am glad to own a bible that has put the name back into its rightful place where it was in the first place .

and yes you have guessed, it is the NEW WORLD TRANSLATION and it is even online to read
Read the Bible Online

New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures
No matter what our circumstances, the Bible contains the direction and counsel that we need. Read it daily.

and it is good to get it out there into the puplic places :)

Back