Foundation??

Dor

Bible Thumper
Reaction score
Quahom1 said:
That, my friend is the whole point. Christianity has a rock solid foundation.

Id like to know what everyones idea of the foundation. Since the foundation has been brought up on 2 different threads now.:)

Please no arguements or fights are meant to be started I seriously want to see everyones thought on this idea.

Dor said:
Id like to know what everyones idea of the foundation. Since the foundation has been brought up on 2 different threads now.:)

Please no arguements or fights are meant to be started I seriously want to see everyones thought on this idea.

What do I think the foundation of Christianity is?

Christ.

For no one can lay any foundation other than the one already laid, which is Jesus Christ. (1 Cor 3:11)

Dor said:

There is one God. That one God did walk this earth with man, and that one God gave Himself up to physical death for man, and washed away mans' sins, made us whole and new again. That one God is with us today and in heaven (the omnicient and omnipotent). That one God promised our salvation if we but accepted His gift to us. There is no work to be done to earn that salvation, but by that very salvation we are drawn to do good works as evidence of our "new nature". He gave His life for us so that we may have life eternal with Him.

Some would say He is a busy man being all three places at once, While others would say He is the Father, and His Son is an emmisarry. Most agree the Sprit is the third part, but some opine the Spirit to be a force rather than a person.

But all who profess to be Christian must confess that Jesus is Lord and Savior of man, and accept that offer of salvation, personally. Without that, then that man must stand in judgement and depend upon what is in the book of life, as to their fate. Those that accept the saving gift of Jesus, do not face that day of judgement (though they will answer for their deeds). He who would be first, may be last, and he who would be last may be first...

How's that?;)

v/r

Q

Dor said:
Ok I was afraid of this...Of course my foundation is Christ along with the Bible cause that is how we know him.

Dor, you've really got me scratching my head over why my answer is unacceptable.

luna

No Luna I didnt mean yours was at all.....I meant I was afraid everyone was gonna just answer Jesus Christ.

And not include anything like what it was about Jesus.

Not that there was anything at all wrong, sorry I can see how that came across wrong.

I'll try to narrow it down some- because I would have answered Jesus Christ too.

Perhaps, a personal relationship with Jesus Christ as Savior?

I mean, Jesus Christ is the foundation of Christianity. But the foundation of being a Christian is the personal relationship with Christ. At least, that's how it always made sense to me.

How about the Nicene Creed? That generally comes across as a shared foundation in most traditional spheres...

I said:
How about the Nicene Creed? That generally comes across as a shared foundation in most traditional spheres...

Brian, I deliberately stayed away from the Creed, so as not to cause rift with those that might have problems with the Trinity concept. We all agree that Jesus is savior, and that, no "Christian" can argue with...

my thoughts.

v/r

Q

Last edited:
Dor said:

what are your ideas Dor?

mine is the death, burial & resurrection & of course his teaching in his three & a half year minstry. pretty simple eh?

Chrisit is the foundation in all ways...

He is

head of the church.
high priest.
the mediator.
the prophet.
the King.
the Savior.
the Creator of all things.
also God.

But with all that said it wouldnt mean much if we didnt know what he did for us and have a personal relationship with him.

My foundation since I was a child besides Christ of course.. was myself as a child developing a relationship with my Father in heaven.. at the age of 3 and 4 I can still remember the feeling of security as I imagined crawling into my "Daddys" HUGE lap and saying my prayers.. That gift was from my mother when I asked her what God looked like..

And also like Path of One.. my relationship with Jesus.. my teacher.. my friend.. my savior.. the knowledge of what love mercy and compassion.. forgiveness are

I didnt develop the bible as part of my foundation until I was older and needed the wisdom and knowledge from it to deal with my life problems. I needed that voice from God to direct me. The Spirit has shown me so much truth in the Word that perhaps its not the bible thats my foundation as much as the Spirit of Truth that revealed what the bible told me.. And the Spirit has been with me my whole life it seems.

Faithfulservant said:
My foundation since I was a child besides Christ of course.. was myself as a child developing a relationship with my Father in heaven.. at the age of 3 and 4 I can still remember the feeling of security as I imagined crawling into my "Daddys" HUGE lap and saying my prayers.. That gift was from my mother when I asked her what God looked like..

And also like Path of One.. my relationship with Jesus.. my teacher.. my friend.. my savior.. the knowledge of what love mercy and compassion.. forgiveness are

I didnt develop the bible as part of my foundation until I was older and needed the wisdom and knowledge from it to deal with my life problems. I needed that voice from God to direct me. The Spirit has shown me so much truth in the Word that perhaps its not the bible thats my foundation as much as the Spirit of Truth that revealed what the bible told me.. And the Spirit has been with me my whole life it seems.

Interesting how we see God so differently...

Mine (version of God), was a man in uniform, so prim and proper, and I was getting out of hand, but he shushed me with a quick whisper, then placed His white gloved hand gently on my shoulder (both steadying and stilling). And I became still and steady as well. I knew I wanted to be like that. Mary is also part of my life, so let me say that my grandmother exemplified that role quite well (bless her soul). By the time I was five, I was at church every morning at 6:00AM before classes ever began. The NT was drilled into my head before I was 10. But I never knew the OT until after I was 18 (and in the military). Man was I ticked off. I made up for lost time...

Then I saw the world (literally). I went to churches that did not speak english, but I understood the mass. And everytime a military man places a white gloved hand gently on my shoulder...I remember. I want to be just like that.;)

v/r

Q

Dor said:
Chrisit is the foundation in all ways...

He is

head of the church.
high priest.
the mediator.
the prophet.
the King.
the Savior.
the Creator of all things.
also God.

But with all that said it wouldnt mean much if we didnt know what he did for us and have a personal relationship with him.

hey Dor, how about this from Ephesians?

1. Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellowcitizens with the saints, and of the household of God;
  2. And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone;

We all have different ways of looking at it, but here's how I see it at the moment. It may change in the near future, but this is how I see it now. Here is where my thoughts have led me:

The whole notion of Christ is a twist of a weird, mystical narrative where Jesus was both "God" and "not God" at the same time. He was "God" in the sense that he functioned as "God on earth." -- Colossians 1:15 and 2:9. He had God's holy character and personality. Because he "behaved like God" he was the "Man of Justice" -- the Son of Man. He challenged the religious leaders of the day, who taught people to follow dogma, ideology, a systematic and structural framework on which people were to approach life.

He was a holy man who lived by instinct and didn't need to follow rules. He was not a rule-follower or a man driven by ideology, but a man driven by intuition. He discerned the good and evil, the safe and unsafe (in spiritual terms), the light and darkness and the healthy and unhealthy (in spiritual terms again). The religious leaders who condemned him, did so on the grounds of ideology. Jesus condemned these religious leaders because of their devotion to ideology. Because ideology does not always reflect the true attitudes and intentions of human beings, and because Jesus was a good and innocent man, Jesus' remarks were justified whereas those of the religious leaders were not.

This is where the idea of Jesus being and not being "God" splits into a forked road.

Road 1 - In the sense that Jesus was God:
Jesus was not just a prophet or messenger. He was the Man of Justice, Son of Man, image and projection of God on earth. When he challenged the religious leaders, he did so as the Son of Man, "God on earth." In that sense, the religious leaders were challenging God Himself, since Jesus didn't just speak on God's authority; he spoke "as God." He spoke "as God" because he had God's own personality and character. Because the religious leaders claimed to act on God's behalf, this nullified their claim to be "men of God" because they condemned a man with God's own personality and character. They opposed God Himself. They had blasphemed against God by condemning His incarnate to death.

Jesus was therefore a symbolic means by which God said to the religious leaders: "You don't really speak for me."

Road 2 - In the sense that Jesus was not God:
Jesus was a man of instinct and intuition, not a man of ideology.

Jesus was a righteous man even though he didn't follow rules or ideology. The religious leaders condemned him, even though he was a pure, sinless man. Because they condemned an innocent man, the moral authority of the religious leaders and their ideology was nullified. The God they claimed to represent, the God of Justice, could not allow a righteous man, especially the Man of Justice, Son of Man, to be condemned and punished like that.

So the God of Justice ordered a new decree, a new Covenant: because He accepted Jesus, the Man of Justice, the man who died in defiance of the phoniness and manipulative nature of ideology, He would also accept those who accepted Christ. This is why those who believe in him are accepted by God -- because God accepted Jesus first. Basically, God accepts us because God accepted the Son of Man. We all seem think that Jesus was so good that God automatically accepted him. Not so. God accepted Jesus because despite the condemnation from the religious leaders, Jesus refused to kow-tow to ideology because it was oppressive. His death was brutal, unjust, evil, diabolical and downright immoral. It was a bloody and unjustified death.

Jesus died for such an honourable cause that God not only accepted him, but honoured him for his courage and bravery by decreeing that anybody who accepted him and honoured him too would be accepted by God as well. Opponents of Christianity often say that because Jesus rose again, the crucifixion wasn't "real." They say it means it was really a "cruci-fiction" -- a hoax. That simply misses the point!!! Sure, Jesus escaped, but not because he was immortal. It was because Jesus couldn't be condemned. His death nullified the moral authority of ideology. Ideology couldn't be justified.

Therefore, Jesus' physical and temporary "crucifixion" led to the permanent and eternal crucifixion of rules, dogma and ideology.

Where the Two Roads Merge Back Together:
Because of what Jesus did, we're accepted even if we don't follow certain rules or conform to some ideology.

Christ's purpose in coming into this world was purely sentimental. It was to establish a connection with God based on trust. He makes it possible for us to trust God because God sent Jesus to nullify the moral authority of ideology. It was like God being "diplomatic" and sending signals to us on how we were to get close to Him.

So why did Jesus need to be "God"? I think it's because that's how God could get the final word on the issue of ideology and its authority.

Some say "Jesus was God," others say "Jesus was not God." I think these two views are really incomplete views of the story of Christ. Christ had the dual nature of being "God" and "not God" at the same time. In a sense, his act was purely sentimental and symbolic. He was "God" in a symbolic sense. His legacy lives on. We are liberated from rules/ideology, and we are accepted by God because we accept what he did. Also, discovering a God that we can trust means that we are "saved." That's what I think it really means to be "saved" -- we discover a God we can trust. It is not a God who manipulates people through rules and ideology, but a God that is personal, intimate and sentimental.

That's my view on the foundation, I suppose.

Faithfulservant said:

I loved this very personal post, FS. And I found it so interesting and like my own feelings toward God and Jesus. In fact, I often have the visual of Jesus holding me in His lap when I need comfort and help, as a father holds their child. Or Jesus gently laying a hand on the top of my head when I kneel before Him in prayer. Yes, my friend, my Savior, my teacher, indeed.

I began with the Bible early on, but always felt that, as you put it, the Spirit was the foundation of Biblical truth. I believe the Bible is a sort of conversation between myself and God, and the Spirit is the medium that makes sense of the message for me, inspires me, moves me... seek, and you shall find. I feel it is the Spirit that helps me find, that guides me.

path_of_one said:
I began with the Bible early on, but always felt that, as you put it, the Spirit was the foundation of Biblical truth. I believe the Bible is a sort of conversation between myself and God, and the Spirit is the medium that makes sense of the message for me, inspires me, moves me... seek, and you shall find. I feel it is the Spirit that helps me find, that guides me.

I couldnt have said the whole thing better myself ... its exactly how I look at it.

Kindest Regards, all!

I suppose if I begin with the foundation of Jesus' teachings, then I pitch a tent on top, instead of building some monumental edifice.

I guess that is why I feel so connected to the words in Ecclesiastes; "Fear G-d, and keep His commandments." To paraphrase Hillel, "all the rest is commentary..."

Back