The Cosmos Is Not Enough

Eudaimonist

In Galt We Trust
Reaction score
The Cosmos Is Not Enough

(Written by myself, and originally published in the August 2005 issue of The Eudaimonist, the official newsletter of the Fellowship of Reason, Inc. All rights reserved.)

When I was little, I would stare up at the stars with profound wonder for the vastness and timelessness of the universe. At five, my mother let me have her old college astronomy textbook, and it became my first Bible. At thirteen, when I faithfully tuned in to public television for every segment of Carl Sagan’s Cosmos, it was like I was attending church, not a science classroom. I felt that Sagan’s naturalistic spirituality was my own.

sagan-jgerardo2.jpg

However, when I reached my twenties, my spirituality changed. I did not discover religion – quite the contrary, I became a confirmed atheist. However, I felt that I had graduated from my kindergarten of spiritual development and entered into a more complete form of non-theistic spirituality. I was surprised that most naturalists did not even seem to be aware that there were other spiritual options for them besides Carl Sagan’s.

fountaint.jpg

Spirituality Without Faith is a good example of what I mean. The article starts off well enough. It states, “Just as we can be good without God, we can have spirituality without spirits.” Why is this? Because spirituality “involves an emotional response…which can include feelings of significance, unity, awe, joy, acceptance, and consolation,” and which can “help us in dealing with difficult situations involving death, loss, and disappointment.” This emotional response is evoked through a cognitive context, i.e. our ideas of our place in the universe, and through spiritual practice, such as “meditation and participation in various rituals and ceremonies.” The article goes on to criticize dualistic spiritualities for denigrating the physical, thus leading to “alienation from our physical selves and indeed from the material world as a whole”, and for creating an epistemological conflict between reason and alleged personal revelations from spiritual experience.

I agree so far. So, what is the proposed alternative? The article argues that a naturalistic spirituality can provide a feeling of connection with the world, and since we are fully natural beings connected through causality to a natural universe, it happens to be true. Naturalism also provides mystery by denying the possibility of answers to any questions of ultimate meaning or purpose. And, finally, it leads to wonder at the workings of the universe, and its vastness.

gr_cosmosgalaxy.jpg

There is nothing wrong with having these experiences. My objection to this spiritual package is in what it lacks – the personal. Focusing on the universe without places too little emphasis on the universe within – our experience as self-determining beings with purposes and stories of our own that go far beyond a contemplation of our quantum makeup. An important aspect of traditional religious spirituality to which the article gives no alternative is “the entire emotional realm of man’s dedication to a moral ideal,” which Ayn Rand discusses in her introduction to The Fountainhead. Of course, she didn’t advocate traditional religious spirituality, but rather a eudaimonistic actualization of one’s highest potentialities, and in so doing one may experience “the exaltation of man’s self-esteem and the sacredness of his happiness on earth.”

t1.gif

I could say that I had found a sense of connection with my daimon – meaning: with my highest potentialities, which are my personal moral ideal – and about this I feel both mystery and wonder, as one might feel while reading a good epic novel. And, in my pursuit of this moral ideal, I have gained a measure of the spiritual fruits of self-esteem and happiness. If we are to avoid alienation from the complete richness of human life, the Cosmos is not enough.
Wilkinsonfuturityacry.jpg

eudaimonia,

M.

When I worked in administration at a large university our definition of a PhD. was someone who knew more and more about less and less. Here we are dealing with the concept, I believe, of knowing less and less about more and more. When you get right down to it one could think of knowledge of the the cosmos as either possibility.

flow....:)

I think we have trodden a rather similair path. As Flow and Wil intimated in thier replies the journey is never over and in some senses its a futile wandering along an infinitely branching path. I think I realised this subconsciously long ago......and so I'm happy to wander where my feet, or my mind, takes me. The great truths for whcih we ultimately reach are unreachable, at least on this level of being......but like a child wanting to find the end of a rainbow.....we search on regardless.

David

I personally don't regard great truths as unreachable. There are simply more to discover. :)

eudaimonia,

Mark

Eudaimonist said:

Naturalism also provides mystery by denying the possibility of answers to any questions of ultimate meaning or purpose. And, finally, it leads to wonder at the workings of the universe, and its vastness.
Eudaimonist Your post is quite interesting but since my mother tongue is not English and the language used in the post consist of very difficult terminology/words, so I couldn’t understand it fully. Would you please write its salient features in points 1, 2, 3 …or highlight or underline which you want us to understand or to share with us, in easy English, to enable me to make most use of your knowledge and experience in life? Thanks
As for me I am an Ahmadi, a faith in Islam and I am a deist. I have read Quran and Bible and some other Revealed Scriptures of the Religions and I believe, not as a blind-faith but with reason. The epoch making incident of my life was when I read the book “The Philosophy of the Teachings of Islam”, which I recommended to you , at the age of 13/14 years. I was totally convinced with the contents of the book, and till date that is my position. I want to use that book as a tool of Comparative Study of Religions, these days even the Atheists (and Buddhists, though they say Buddha did not believe in God) are considered as a sort of (Virtual) Religion, atheists included. Please go through my posts in the thread The Greatest Principle of Comparative Studies of Religions started by me in the Comparative Studies Board and then we will discuss it again. Thanks

inhumility said:
Eudaimonist Your post is quite interesting but since my mother tongue is not English and the language used in the post consist of very difficult terminology/words, so I couldn’t understand it fully. Would you please write its salient features in points 1, 2, 3 …or highlight or underline which you want us to understand or to share with us, in easy English, to enable me to make most use of your knowledge and experience in life?

I moved from USA to Sweden three years ago, and so I know what it is like to struggle with a language that is not one's mother tongue. I'll try to explain it to you in simpler terms, just as I would need someone who speaks Swedish to explain it to me.

As for me I am an Ahmadi, a faith in Islam and I am a deist. I have read Quran and Bible and some other Revealed Scriptures of the Religions and I believe, not as a blind-faith but with reason.

I'm happy to hear that you are no stranger to reason. This will make it easier for us to communicate with each other.

The epoch making incident of my life was when I read the book “The Philosophy of the Teachings of Islam”, which I recommended to you , at the age of 13/14 years.

For me, it was reading the philosophical fiction and essays of Ayn Rand starting around the age of 25, though at that time my reaction to her philosophical ideas was mostly negative, though my reaction to her fiction was mostly positive. This conflict puzzled me, since it seemed there was something very good in her ideas that I did not correctly understand. And so, after two full years of careful study and reflection, I corrected my misunderstandings, and I came to accept her ideas as (mostly) true.

I found that my life had improved, and I broadened my mind by reading from authors who had similar ideas, such as Aristotle, the Stoics, and modern thinkers such as David Norton and Abraham Maslow.

I am now a charter member of the Fellowship of Reason. This organization is an effort to provide something similar to a religious community for nontheists who share the group's ethical and spiritual values.

I was totally convinced with the contents of the book, and till date that is my position.

While I have grown philosophically since first reading Ayn Rand's ideas, I still have a great respect for them, and they are profoundly influential to me today. I can understand how a book can influence one's life so much.

I want to use that book as a tool of Comparative Study of Religions, these days even the Atheists (and Buddhists, though they say Buddha did not believe in God) are considered as a sort of (Virtual) Religion, atheists included.

While I don't think that atheism itself is a religion, I agree that atheists often have well-thought out ways of life. I call my way of life Eudaimonism, and I suppose you could think of this as my religion.

Please go through my posts in the thread The Greatest Principle of Comparative Studies of Religions started by me in the Comparative Studies Board and then we will discuss it again. Thanks

Okay, I will. In my next post to this topic, I will respond to your request to explain my article in simpler terms.

eudaimonia,

Mark

Introduction:
  • At 13 years of age, I found a television show called Cosmos that expressed a sense of wonder for the universe similar to my own. It was made by Carl Sagan, a scientist and popularizer of science.
  • Sagan not only popularized science, but also an attitude towards the natural universe that could be reasonably described as spiritual, and even pantheistic (though he was an atheist and a metaphysical naturalist).
  • This natural universe was shown with a sense of awe, wonder, and mystery, and science seemed like a profound spiritual journey.
  • While I don't think there is anything wrong with this type of spirituality, I found that, even for atheists, it has a big limitation. I will refer to Carl Sagan's style of spirituality as "naturalistic spirituality".
Naturalistic Spirituality Presented:
  • Carl Sagan's style of spirituality is expressed well in the online article Spirituality Without Faith (not written by him), which I will present, and then critique.
  • The article says that a metaphysical naturalist -- someone who doesn't believe in supernatural beings or disembodied spirits -- can still be spiritual, because spirituality is basically an emotional response.
  • The article criticizes dualistic spiritualities -- spiritualities that split up existence between the natural and supernatural, or between the physical and consciousness -- and presents its naturalistic (non-dualistic) spirituality as a better alternative.
  • The article argues that a naturalistic spirituality can be a good substitute for theistic spiritualities because it can:
  • 1) provide a feeling of connection with the world,
  • 2) provide a feeling of mystery by making impossible any answers to the great philosophical questions we all have, such as "what is our purpose in life?" (if a question can't be answered, it still feels like a mystery), and
  • 3) provide a sense of wonder.
Naturalistic Spirituality Critiqued:
  • I do not think it is "wrong" to feel connection, mystery, and wonder.
  • (I have some objections to "mystery" that I don't mention in the article. For instance, I think that philosophy can provide answers to questions about purpose in life. But I focus on a more important issue.)
  • My objection to the naturalistic spirituality presented in the article is that it is impersonal, and this is a big limitation.
  • Naturalistic spirituality is about contemplating impersonal nature. It does not pay enough attention to spiritual needs we have that have to do with us as persons.
Eudaimonistic Spirituality Presented:
  • Like naturalistic spirituality, Eudaimonistic spirituality accepts the truth of metaphysical naturalism.
  • Therefore Eudaimonistic spirituality may contain naturalistic spirituality in some form.
  • However, Eudaimonistic spirituality adds an important ingredient that is missing in naturalistic spirituality -- the personal.
  • Eudaimonistic spirituality recognizes that we are not merely collections of subatomic particles, or merely insignificant parts of the universe, we have a perspective on our lives as persons -- we have purposes of our own, we make choices, we see our lives almost like stories.
  • Also, as persons, we have a spiritual need to dedicate our lives to a moral ideal, and we may have profound feelings about this. (I'm not saying that Carl Sagan didn't have moral ideals, but nothing like this was presented in the article as naturalistic spirituality.)
  • Again, as persons, we have a need to use our faculties to bring into existence our best potentials (our best selves), which may lead to the experience of self-respect and happiness.
What the Personal Adds to the Impersonal:
  • 1) I had found a feeling of connection to my best potentials (my best possible future selves).
  • 2) 3) I had also retained a sense of mystery and wonder about my life, so I did not lack any of the feelings found in naturalistic spirituality.
  • But I had found values better found in a personal spirituality, such as self-respect, and the happiness found when one experiences oneself as living a personal, purposeful, ethical, human life.
I hope this helps. If there is still something not clear to you, let me know.

eudaimonia,

Mark

Mark,

Your naturalistic spiritually sounds somewhat familiar. After 30 years of being between agnostism and atheism I had developed a spirituality based on natural law. Sciences, economic systems, modern governments would eventually replace religion. Ethics, morality, compassion and sharing were correlaries of survival. For many years this worked well for me and I was busy correlating my observations. Most all behavior I observed could be explained. We no longer had to depend on the superstition of traditional religion to explain our situation. I thought religious believers were naive, insecure and unwilling to face reality. As individuals our lives would end in death but our accomplishments lived on as part of the foundation upon which man would continue to elevate himself.

My thoughts were something along these lines. Any common ground here with Eudeudaimonia?

Jim

Jim M2 said:
My thoughts were something along these lines. Any common ground here with Eudaimonia?

The identification of a connection between morality and survival seems like a similarity, though perhaps a weak one.

"Economic systems, modern governments" might replace religions -- and perhaps have already had done so for some people, e.g. in communist countries -- but I see this as a mistake. It places too much emphasis on collectives, and I see this as another form of impersonalism. I know from personal experience that it is easy to get "religious" about politics and economics, but I see this as a poor substitute for religion, which ideally will focus on your personal growth, not on trying to fix the world. (I'm not saying it is wrong to have strong views on politics, or to be politically active, but it's all too easily a form of escapism from one's own life, and thus makes for a poor path in itself.) I'm of the view that if you want to fix the world, focus first and foremost on fixing yourself, and let the results contribute to the world in their own way.

Another dissimilarity is that it is not necessarily a view in Eudaimonism that "religious believers were naive, insecure and unwilling to face reality". This might be true in some cases, but I do not think it comes even close to completely explaining the existence of religious beliefs.

I'm not sure why you mention one's accomplishments living on, but I wouldn't consider this to be quite enough to constitute personal meaning in life, at least for a Eudaimonist. There's nothing wrong with acting to "elevate humanity", of course -- this has a certain nobility to it -- but I'd hope that one's life would have meaning for oneself besides this. Elevating oneself can be a great source of meaning, and I'd place the greater emphasis here. To focus on the future of humanity for meaning in life is like trying to live through others, instead of having a life of one's own.

Sorry, it doesn't seem like that much in common. :(

eudaimonia,

Mark

Eudaimonist,

You concept here is precisely where I am exploring lately! Myself and a few others in my local Humanist group, as well as another pen pal out of my area, have been considering the spiritual and the personal from a naturalistic point of view.

I am thinking of starting a small club, as a subcommittee of my local Humanist group, which I call the "Humanist Contemplative Club". The guidelines around which the group will be based, thus far, are:

--------------------------------
Humanist Contemplative Club

The Humanist Contemplative Club (or simply ‘the Contemplative Club’ or just ‘the Contemplatives’) would be a focus group for those members who might be interested in its agenda. It would be based around five points...

1) Commitment to the principles of Humanism
The Humanist Contemplative is committed to the values of modern Humanism. This means a naturalistic worldview, an epistemology consistent with the scientific method, a healthy skepticism, a concern for the well-being of our neighbors and humanity as a whole, and the promotion of rational ethical principles based on benefit to people rather than obedience to alleged deities or authorities.

2) Focus on perfecting personal ‘life practice’
The Contemplatives are inward looking. Rather than merely telling others how they are to live, Humanist Contemplatives start with the person in the mirror. They gather for the purpose of exploring together better ways of living and growing. In this endeavor, they will look to historic and current philosophies and traditions, but with a focus on philosophy as a way of daily spiritual life rather than mere academic study or venue for debate. Contemplatives seek to share their daily personal challenges and support one another in self improvement; intellectually, emotionally, physically, and materially.

3) Reclaiming the Spiritual
The Contemplatives are fully comfortable reclaiming spiritual language in a naturalistic context. They may or may not consider Humanism a religion, but have no problem with those who do or those who seek to practice it in a religious structural format. The Humanist Contemplative is concerned with bringing the spiritual back into natural life without dualism, including the actualization of character development. The Contemplative notion of ‘religion’ is expansive and open to change toward a rationality-based foundation.

4) Rejection of religious conflict and evangelism
The Humanist Contemplative rejects undue focus on attacking the beliefs of others and prefers instead to speak of Humanist beliefs. While there is no restriction against direct conflict to protect assaults on human rights, the Humanist Contemplative will prefer to focuses on those things which bring human beings together, and reach mutual respect and understanding when possible. Rather than overt acts of criticism or conversion, showing by living example the fruitfulness and appeal of the Humanism is the preferred course.

5) Behavior
Humanist Contemplatives are expected to be compassionate in character, deliberative in intellect, and upstanding in ethics. The demeanor of the Humanist Contemplative is one of self control, patience, mindfulness, consideration, diplomacy, friendliness, and dignity without snobbery. The Contemplative remains collected and is not easily angered or offended, but instead cultivates his or her rationality and objectivity. Humanist Contemplatives seek to build reputations of integrity and respect, even among those with different or opposed beliefs.

Format and Activity: Possibly meeting once per month, the Contemplative Club would share their thoughts on these points, the club, and their own lives. They would offer one another encouragement and ideas, and possibly get together at other times if working on the same challenges. In addition, the Contemplatives would bring in sources of wisdom and ideas from readings of various philosophers, fictional works, or anything that informs and inspires.

DT Strain said:
I am thinking of starting a small club, as a subcommittee of my local Humanist group, which I call the "Humanist Contemplative Club". The guidelines around which the group will be based, thus far, are:

Wow, your club idea sounds almost exactly like the Fellowship of Reason! :)

(The article in the OP was published in their monthly newsletter. I'm a charter member.)

If you are interested, you could speak with one of the leaders there to get some advice for your club based on their experiences, since they've been doing this sort of thing for several years now, and have a active group going. Several post at my Eudaimonist's Euphoria e-list, which might be a good place to ask some questions, though a phone call to one of them may be preferable.

I think you should definitely start this club. It will be great to see more groups like this out there.

Good luck! :)

eudaimonia,

Mark

Thanks Mark,

Actually, now that I see the site, I realize I have seen this group online before. However, I didn't realize at the time in what ways it was different than other local Freethought and Humanist groups.

Here in Houston, we have the "Houston Freethought Alliance", which isn't a group in itself, but rather an alliance of groups with a lot of interaction, cooperation, and cross-membership. Included are:

- The Humanists of Houston (HoH): A fairly philosophic discussion group. They have various speakers and such on Humanist social issues, values, and subjects. It's our oldest group with a distinguished tradition going back to the 70s, and includes many folks who play a large role in the national organization "The American Humanist Association". However, much of their membership is an older crowd with many professors and such, and they are wanting to reach out more.

- The Humanists of Montgomery County (HAMC): A similar group I believe, located a little further north.

- The Houston Atheist Society (HAS): A group of various sorts of atheists who intend to be socially and politically active, but so far it's mainly social meetups.

- The Houston Church of Freethought (HCOF): A group for freethinkers, humanists, and atheists that holds services and has a format like a traditional church. They are trying to be more positive, but still aren't "spiritual" in the sense I'm considering. My wife and I were married in this church (but by a Humanist Minister), and I have given a talk at one of the services on compassion. So, I'm trying to do my part to move them into positive directions and less toward religious criticism and the negative, as are others.

So there's something going on at least once a week here in Houston between all these groups (book clubs, coffee socials, meetings, etc.). But we still haven't achieved that "personal" inward-looking sort of spirituality in a sense compatible with our naturalistic viewpoint yet. There is a local "chapel" which is a generic serene location that is open to all religions (they have hosted the Dalai Lama, Catholics, etc) and I'm hoping to arrange for this to be our meeting place. Not everyone will be interested, but I know some of us will.

Given all the groups here and my many friends in them, I prefer to work within them rather than try and compete. So, I'm hoping to make the Contemplative Club a subcommittee of HoH, and have been communicating with the current President.

Thanks for the references to your group!
Daniel

DT Strain said:
- The Houston Church of Freethought (HCOF): A group for freethinkers, humanists, and atheists that holds services and has a format like a traditional church. They are trying to be more positive, but still aren't "spiritual" in the sense I'm considering. My wife and I were married in this church (but by a Humanist Minister), and I have given a talk at one of the services on compassion. So, I'm trying to do my part to move them into positive directions and less toward religious criticism and the negative, as are others.

I've heard of this group and have spoken with a few of its members online. I'm happy to hear that they are being nudged into becoming more positive, because it was my impression that they were focusing too much on criticism.

Given all the groups here and my many friends in them, I prefer to work within them rather than try and compete. So, I'm hoping to make the Contemplative Club a subcommittee of HoH, and have been communicating with the current President.

Sounds exciting. I wish you all the best.

eudaimonia,

Mark

Since the following is in the hopes of prospering the personal-based position you mention, I think this is still on topic, but I wanted to ask about the FOR group, a few questions facing us that have to do with challenges to foming this perspective...

1) Do you have members who use every opportunity to bash religion or talk politics? If so, how do you keep this from inching its way into everything?

2) Both the HCOF and HoH have Yahoo group lists for open discussion. Unlike the separate lists for announcements, these can often get quite testy. As you know, when people are writing online they can say things they'd never say in person, be less diplomatic, and others can misunderstand the tone. This, plus the fact that the subject matter veers toward the political and other touchy subjects, has lead to some nastiness in the past, and I believe it has cost us some members. I am a member of these lists in order to keep my ear to the ground, but it is my recent inclination that maybe we shouldn't have online forums like this at all, and opt instead for face-to-face discussions. Does the FOR have such an online discussion list? How has this been handled by FOR?

3) In what ways has FOR sought to make the gatherings more personal and spiritual in tone, and less like a business meeting in a board room?

Thanks for your help,
Daniel

May I interupt? I'd like to comment on the face-to-face meetings versus online discussions. I can see that in a heavily populated area like Houston face-to-face meetings are a viable option. But for isolated communities with small populations and little diversity of thought, online discussion can be a life-saver for the person who "doesn't fit." Is there a way to have both the face-to-face group and online discussion? The face-to-face group would provide a different type of experience to bring to the discussion. Sort of like the real-life lab, to use a crude term. The person in the tiny (or not so tiny) isolated community can apply discussion material to real-life situations with people known in everyday life perhaps better than the person living in a huge metropolitan center, and observe its impacts/effects over time.

I'm sort of off on a tangent here. Just trying to visualize how to bring together the best from both worlds. I'm presently living in a city of about a hundred thousand, which is huge compared to where I come from. And even where I come from is a major community compared to some places in the north where there are settlements of a few dozen people separated from the rest of humanity by thousands of miles of barren wilderness. Not all such places have internet access but for those that do....Just my two bits for what it's worth.

Lol, quite right. The Cosmos is not enough. It is the "infinite" we seek, in earnest.

v/r

Q

RubySera_Martin said:
It sounds like you are mocking us for seeking the infinite outside the dictates of Christianity. Do I correctly understand?

No, you do not (and I apologize for not making myself crystal clear).

There is much more than this world, this universe, this cosmos. There is the infinite. And I suspect man will never be satisfied, but always clamouring for understanding the infinite...

v/r

Q

Back