Liberal Christianity without Creation?

aburaees said:
What then is the criteria for determining which parts of scripture are to be taken as literal, and which parts of scripture are to be taken as metaphorical?

Symbolism could be interpreted into many other Bible stories which have traditionally been taken as literal since they were first written.

Conversely, symbolic/metaphorical aspects of scripture could be given a literal interpretation if a person feels the need to.

Since Adam and Jesus in scriptue are effectively portals for sin entering and exiting the world, should not the metaphorical interpretation of one be linked to a metaphorical interpretation of the other, and vice-versa?

There is no criteria (that we are given), except in specific situations. It is an assumption made by men, that we can interpret the Bible as we see fit. However, the only time we are told something is a metaphor in the Bible is when Jesus tells a "parable", no other time.

v/r

Q

Quahom1 said:
There is no criteria (that we are given), except in specific situations. It is an assumption made by men, that we can interpret the Bible as we see fit. However, the only time we are told something is a metaphor in the Bible is when Jesus tells a "parable", no other time.

v/r

Q

Thank you, that pretty much explains how I feel about the issue. I'd say that it's a modern trend to interpret the Bible more metaphorically than literally, especially since people find it difficult to reconcile science with the Bible.
Personally I see the creation process of Genesis following the order one would observe if they were viewing it in fast-foward from an Earth-stationed perspective.
If the crucifixion is to be considered a literal event, then the Eden rebellion should be considered literally too since one event is the solution to the problems caused by the other. I can't begin to conceive of a literal historical solution to a metaphorical mythological problem.

Just my thoughts.

aburaees said:
What then is the criteria for determining which parts of scripture are to be taken as literal, and which parts of scripture are to be taken as metaphorical?

Symbolism could be interpreted into many other Bible stories which have traditionally been taken as literal since they were first written.

Conversely, symbolic/metaphorical aspects of scripture could be given a literal interpretation if a person feels the need to.

Since Adam and Jesus in scriptue are effectively portals for sin entering and exiting the world, should not the metaphorical interpretation of one be linked to a metaphorical interpretation of the other, and vice-versa?

I have always taken the approach that the Bible is a great work of literature that is meant to teach us collectively, especially in western civilizations, how to live an inspired and moral life while we are on earth. As with any great work of literature, there are many levels of understanding within it. All levels of understanding are not as readily available to all readers. That depends upon the readers' philosophical orientations, sexual gender, family experiences, life experiences, etc. The great marvel of it is that it is so accessable to so many people of differing talent levels and abilities.

flow...:)

Quahom1 said:

De 30:6 The Lord your God will circumcise your hearts and the hearts of your descendants, so that you may love him with all your heart and with all your soul, and live …

OUCH! That's gotta hurt, being literal and all. :)

AletheiaRivers said:
De 30:6 The Lord your God will circumcise your hearts and the hearts of your descendants, so that you may love him with all your heart and with all your soul, and live …

OUCH! That's gotta hurt, being literal and all. :)
Loving God with all our heart our mind and our strength is a literal commandment, yet the heart is a pump, the mind is a computer and strength is force. Perhaps there is an essence of these physical things, we are not fully aware of.

In the literal sense, to circumsise is to remove a covering from something...to cut away that which hides.

Besides, when God speaks directly to man, I suppose He can say what ever he wants. I certainly am not going to ask Him if He is being literal or metaphorical...:D

v/r

Q

flowperson said:
I have always taken the approach that the Bible is a great work of literature that is meant to teach us collectively, especially in western civilizations, how to live an inspired and moral life while we are on earth. As with any great work of literature, there are many levels of understanding within it. All levels of understanding are not as readily available to all readers. That depends upon the readers' philosophical orientations, sexual gender, family experiences, life experiences, etc. The great marvel of it is that it is so accessable to so many people of differing talent levels and abilities.

flow...:)

Agreed, however for those who would profess to be Christian it commands us to live a moral live, it does not suggest we learn to...Unlike inspiring literature, the Bible is also a book of laws that we are to obey. It gives no quarter for any particular station in life...;) In fact as I recall, God says no man has privilige over another (no favorites or exceptions to the rule). And I don't believe there is a metaphor in these commandments to us...:eek: :eek:

v/r

Q

Q

As I said, I believe that the Bible is a work of literature open to interpretation based upon one's talents and abilities.

I, and many other believers, do not view it as a book containing rigid rules to govern our behaviors, as you obviously do, but a compendium of stories that demonstrate the positive truths of living life based upon moral choices which establish and preserve bonds of love and caring among us and our neighbors.

I also believe that the OT leans more towards your interpretation, and the NT towards mine. I would also like to note here that the OT G-d declares that jealousy rules his domain. I do not believe that is the perspective portrayed in the NT.

flow....:)

flowperson said:
Q

As I said, I believe that the Bible is a work of literature open to interpretation based upon one's talents and abilities.

I, and many other believers, do not view it as a book containing rigid rules to govern our behaviors, as you obviously do, but a compendium of stories that demonstrate the positive truths of living life based upon moral choices which establish and preserve bonds of love and caring among us and our neighbors.

I also believe that the OT leans more towards your interpretation, and the NT towards mine. I would also like to note here that the OT G-d declares that jealousy rules his domain. I do not believe that is the perspective portrayed in the NT.

Without the OT, the NT means nothing. As someone else pointed out "Why is God coming to save me?" This person did not understand the OT.

I'm not about to peg you or anyone else as a "sinner" (who am I to judge?). But if you are a professing Christian, you must consider the message of the OT. If you do not, then you have only half the story of man.

The Bible, in its entirety, tells the story of the relationship between God and Man.

If I were a stranger, I would want to know the whole story. And in learning the whole story, I would wonder why man doesn't accept it and move with it...

Even if He wasn't my "God"...why would man ignore such a benevolent "God", for a few simple laws?

Because, we are stiff necked? Hard hearted? Self centered? We want to do as we see fit? God is dead? We know better? It's all relative? :eek:

my thoughts

v/r

Q

Q

Duly noted, but your thoughts are obviously not my thoughts, and I don't think we're going to change each other's thoughts.

Name calling isn't going to help either. This is my last comment on this thread, but then I believe that this probably has been your primary objective here, and elsewhere on the board, and also with other participants. Not a very moderate attitude IMHO, but then, as you said, neither of us are here to judge each other.

Maybe you should take a deep breath and go for a few rides on the beach. Me, I'd be fishing if I were there.

Recursive arguments are inherently non-functional.

Oh...I've been meaning to ask you if you played in a role on Star Trek Next Generation ?

Bye !

flow....:cool:

flowperson said:
Q

I'm not interpreting anything. I just repeated what was in the Bible...;)

v/r

Q

What name calling? :( I didn't call anyone names Flow. And what does speaking my piece have anything to do with Moderating? And why take it so personal? To use your own vernacular, Recursive remarks are non-functional. You seem to think that what, liberalism in Christianity should be tolerated? That a watered down version should be accepted? That literalist are passee? Why? For your benefit? The Bible says what it says. Take it or leave it, no one is forcing you to do otherwise. But do not get up in arms when a person states that they think otherwise than you. Especially on a Christian forum...especially here.

If you have a problem with my "heavy handedness", notify I,Brian, please. He is the administrator (and owner of this entire forum). If I am out of line, he will make it quite clear Flow.

v/r

Q

I think it should be underlined that we try to support as many Christian viewpoints here, not least Liberal to Conservative, without any bias.

Don't be afraid to express a view different to Quahom or Juantoo3 - they post as individuals with their own thoughts, but clearly mark their posts different when acting as a moderator. And no moderator has a remit to censor different views.

The overall question here I tried to raise is one of fundamentals - regardless as to what the Bible says or not, traditional Christian Theology has it that Jesus was required sacrificed to save us from Original Sin.

However, if someone is to say there was no Original Sin, but that Jesus is their Saviour, the question is - Saviour from what?

I'm not trying to belittle any position in this thread - this is entirely for the purpose of discussion.

It's also worth noting that the Genesis account doesn't need to be literal in order to subscribe to Original Sin as humanity falling from Grace.

I'm sort of hoping to see more of the pro-liberal arguments. :)

I said:
The overall question here I tried to raise is one of fundamentals - regardless as to what the Bible says or not, traditional Christian Theology has it that Jesus was required sacrificed to save us from Original Sin.

However, if someone is to say there was no Original Sin, but that Jesus is their Saviour, the question is - Saviour from what?
Whose tradition? This is the question. Without regard to the who did what when. We know that early Christianity was all over the place...the tradition you speak of was a political decision by one group to codify their beliefs and create the rest as wrong. I am not saying that is right or wrong, but that is what is. It was successful...and has this thought as traditional...and everything else as heretical or blasephemous....today called alternative or liberal.

Indeed - but the traditional view was effectively subscribed to for more than 1500 years - and I'm not at all against other views being expressed - it's simply that with regard to the original question, how do Liberal Christians balance a rejection of a literal Eden with a literal Resurrection?

I'm not trying to attack - or encourage attacks - on anyone's faith - I'm simply curious how Liberal Christians address such questions themselves as a discussion topic. :)

Quahom1 said:
If the liberal Christian point of view is that There is no orginal sin, then it would mean by deduction that the death of Christ did not serve any purpose...certainly not the purpose of removing the stain of a sin that doesn't exist...

It would also logically conclude that nothing Jesus said about getting to the father but through Him, is true. Since there is no orginal sin, there is no need for an intercedent on Man's behalf. In short, we don't need Jesus at all...

Hence the liberal Christian's perspective would be (I suspect), Jesus is nice to have around, but not required.
I wouldn't think you would wish me to tell others what Catholics think, what I interpret their view to be, and what they believe. Of course, I can't speak for liberal Christians either. I can only state my viewpoint and belief.

Original Sin, I don't believe in it, and it appears neither did the Jews, so I don't really know who got us all wound up about that.

Jesus's path through humanity, his trials and tribulations in life, his dying on the cross and resurection. Are all to teach us what is possible. Tis one thing for someone to say, "I know you can climb that mountain, of course I've never done it, but it is possible, and I'll tell you how." As the saying goes today, those that can do....those that can't teach. Jesus did both and told us everything he did we can do and more.

Do I consider my elder brother and wayshower my saviour? Yes, but by worshipping him? No, by striving to use the principles he taught us. He rose from the dead, but it appears so many of us prefer to leave him up there on the cross. Funny if he walked around today I'd think he would think feeding thousands, asking who will cast the first stone, his talks, his healings, the ascencion...maybe they would be revered and enshrined.... but that last three hours....we are going to put that moment be the big item?

Again, I can't speak for all liberal Christians, but I believe the stories are powerful, the meanings are deep, and the thought extends beyond the pages of the books, or the walls of the churches... into the streets.

Seeing the good and assisting my brothers and sisters to be all they can be, without judgement or denegration of where they are. Something to strive for. That is what Jesus gave us, he raised the bar.

I said:
I think it should be underlined that we try to support as many Christian viewpoints here, not least Liberal to Conservative, without any bias.

Don't be afraid to express a view different to Quahom or Juantoo3 - they post as individuals with their own thoughts, but clearly mark their posts different when acting as a moderator. And no moderator has a remit to censor different views.

I'm not trying to belittle any position in this thread - this is entirely for the purpose of discussion.

It's also worth noting that the Genesis account doesn't need to be literal in order to subscribe to Original Sin as humanity falling from Grace.

I'm sort of hoping to see more of the pro-liberal arguments. :)
Again, I will suggest that the belief in Christ Jesus as a Saviour need have nothing to do with this notion of original sin ... because the same truths as expressed by Christian elders can be found in the far more ancient teachings of the Hindu Vedas. Yes, I realize this isn't the Comparative forum, and that's a shame. Nonetheless, I will need to at least provide a couple of examples to make my point:

First Example
"Lead us, O Lord, from darkness to light;
from the unreal to the real;
from death to immortality."
(Brihadaranyaki Upanishad I, 3, 28)
In this ancient mantram, or prayer, the Lord Who is asked so to lead us ... will be found to be IDENTICAL with the Christ of Christianity. Does this prove that there is no original sin? No, perhaps not. But IF I am correct, then it does show that belief in the Christ is far more ancient than even contemporary Christianity is willing to admit ... with its own acquiesances to the traditions of a Messiah in Judaism far predating the appearance of Jesus of Nazareth.

If God sent us Christ, then He also sent us Sri Krishna before Him, He sent us the Buddha, He sent us Orpheus, Zoroaster, Thoth-Hermes, Vyasa, and the earlier Herakles. ALL of these were World Teachers, Messiahs, and `Christs.' The Ancient Record preserves this truth, and only Christians, of all the world's believers, seem to pitch a fit when this fact is pointed out. WHY?

Does it really hurt so much to discover that G-d is organized enough, thoughtful enough, and caring enough to have always walked with us in Human form, to help us along our journey (and return to His Loving, more direct Presence)? That He still walks with us today, when & where needed? That we didn't actually make the colossal goof-up, which misunderstanding can really result only if we take the tales of Genesis literally?

But let's move on to Example Two:
"Whenever the world declineth in virtue and righteousness; and vice and injustice mount the throne, then cometh I, the Lord and revisit my world in visible form, and mingleth as a man with men, and by my influence and teachings do I destroy the evil and injustice and reestablish virtue and righteousness. Many times have I thus appeared, and many times hereafter shall I come again." (Bhagavad-Gita, 4;7,8)
Here, Sri Krishna's words to Arjuna, as those of Christ to His disciples, remind us that God has never abandoned Humanity - who are collectively and only so His "Chosen People." Why is it necessary for God to keep manifesting in this way, as the Bhagavad Gita teaches us, and the Bible after it?

Because Humanity is as a young child, even though we are on our way, growing to maturity, we must still invoke the LIGHT, the TRUTH, and the ETERNAL (`G-d') as in the Upanishad above. And SO did Christ Himself speak, as so many Christians are wont to remind us (John 14:6) ... but not the first was He to appear as Saviour, nor the last.

For Him who hears, Christ speaks plainly in the Gita, even in modern English, less than a century ago. Are we really so unworthy, so corrupt, so hopeless that G-d has abandoned his once-holy people ... and left us to our destruction, save those rare & fortunate few - who, even in their last hour, with their last, dying breath, somehow find the inspiration and the wherewithal to cry "Jesus!" and be delivered!?! :confused::eek:

Heavens no. That is just the point. No eternal perdition, no state (or stain) of corruption just because of human birth, no inheriting of the "sins of our fathers." Inasmuch as we belong to collective Humanity, the ONE Human Family, yes, there is a "collective sin." Inasmuch as it is we ourselves to which these passages are referring ("Whom did sin, THIS MAN or his parents, that HE was born blind?") ... then, yes, again we have inherited our own karma.

Come now. Let's not pretend that anyone is trying to invent a new Christianity by acknowledging that Christ taught all these things. If the Scriptures have been carefully, jealously and zealously edited so as to seem to suggest other alternatives, then I should say it is those who insist other than I do who have invented a different Christianity! ;)

To stand and tell me that, "This is how things are, because this here book says it's so" ... that REALLY shows me something. Not a paper pope, but the Living Law, written in every human heart - THIS is the authority which Christ knew, and taught, and emphasized. Or have we so soon forgotten? Shall we dispute this point, and do all we can to preserve the bastions ...

Nothing that is founded on Truth shall fall, just as nothing that is erected on an unstable foundation shall last. The former structure may be a far slower to take its glorious and wonderful form, while in the intervening time, MANY HUNDREDS of lesser kingdoms, castles and monuments will rise & fall. And their names are religions, governments and ideologies, while the former is the singular prototype of each.

I know, I know, that's all sufficiently vague, yet isn't my point exactly what this thread is about? Force a literal interpretation & translation, and you can build an entire religion around a man called Moses, Jesus, Mohammad or Buddha. Insist on too liberal an interpretation, and a faith will fall apart or disappear - in terms of outward organization(s).

What, then, is the solution? Will the Catholics and the fundamentalists hear nothing of "Christ the Saviour" without his death as atonement for our sins (a hearkening back to the blood sacrifice of the OLD religions, of course)? And will the atheists and the skeptical humanists insist that Jesus was nice bloke, but clearly just a radical hippie with a pipe dream that never manifested? Perhaps the truth is somewhere in between, safe from each of these extremes, and much more tenable - even by a Jew, a Muslim, a Buddhist, a Wiccan, and an Agnostic. I like to believe so ... :)

Namaste, and Peace,

taijasi

Comments that struck me as I read through the posts:

The Bible, in its entirety, tells the story of the relationship between God and Man.
First, I would say my position is traditionally conservative, but I have an open view towards other views presented. In the case of Genesis, I found it fascinating a few years ago when I did some research for a group class project on Africa, and I was assigned the area of religion. I focused particularly on African traditional or tribal religions, many of which, according to the researchers, were untainted (I prefer "untouched" or "uninfluenced" rather than the negative connotations of "taint"--but this was the term I encountered in reading) by the beliefs of the major established religions of the world. In reading some of the beliefs held by various tribes, I was looking for commonalities they all shared (hence my paper was titled "Similarities Among African Tribal Religions").

But in looking mainly at their beliefs compared among one another, I was struck by something I had not anticipated: there were stories and religious beliefs that had remarkable similarity to the accounts of the Bible. These were most evident in comparison with the Creation accounts, and in the Genesis 3 account of the Fall. The Yoruba tribe of Nigeria have a tradition which maintains that Creation took four days, with the fifth day set aside for worship of Olorum, the Supreme Being. In the traditions of the Gikuyu tribe of Kenya, God puts a created "first man and woman" in a garden, where they are in charge of the earth, which includes a "tree of life" and a "holy mountain." The Fall is easily seen in the accounts of the Nuer tribe, who believe that the earth and sky were once joined together by a rope. People came down to the earth for food, and if they died, ascended the rope to the sky, to return later, alive once again. Different versions exist even among the Nuer people, but all of them lead to the eventual severing of the rope. Perhaps even more interesting is the common feature in many tribal traditions of a woman who was responsible for wrongdoing, which led to the end of existence in an idyllic state, and caused a cessation of a direct communal relationship with God, and also caused the "separation of earth and sky," a common expression:
Often in African story a woman is blamed for having brought the idyllic state to an end. The Margi of Nigeria say that in the past the sky could be touched and there was no need to work, God filled men's calabashes without them working; but a woman put out a dirty calabash and infected the finger of one of the sky children, and God retired in anger to his present distance. Elsewhere they say that a woman annoyed God by hitting the sky with her pounding-stick, or women tore pieces of the sky to put in the soup and God went off to a distance.
The Ngombe of the Congo say that men used to live in the sky, but one woman became such a nuisance that God lowered her down from heaven in a basket with enough seed for herself and her children. In Urundi it is thought that God used to live with men and created their children. One day he made a crippled baby and the parents were so angry that they took a knife to kill God, and so he retired. The Ba-ila of Rhodesia simply said that Leza is not so young as he used to be or so near. He has got old, and just as old men dribble tears so the rain is his dribbling. He is not so accessible to prayers as he used to be.
Rather like the Garden of Eden story is that of the Mende, who say that God once lived in a cave and invited the animals to come in pairs but forbade them to touch his food. One day the cow smelt the sweet-smelling food and ate some, and at once God seized the animal and threw it out of the cave. The monkey and all the animals eventually sinned and suffered the same fate, including man. Now all the animals wander about looking for that delicious food, and God watches them from above.
--Geoffrey Parrinder, African Traditional Religion, London: Hutchinson House, pp. 40-41.
Granted, there are large differences, but thematically the similarities are easy to see: existence in a "paradise" or garden, a human action that caused the paradise to cease, and a resultant "distance" or separation. If we accept the premise that these were truly "untainted" relgious traditions, I find it hard to deny that these stories have many of the same elements of the Bible stories, and much in the way of common themes that give them the "ring of truth" taht suggests they have some form of revelation from God that has gone into the stories.
I certainly would be interested in any comments.

Rev Wayne:

My journey to real understanding began when I read Huston Smith's book, The Religions of Man/ The World's Religions. I was also struck by the similarities of the roots of the great belief systems of the world.

By the way, I ran across the same African stories that you mentioned about twenty years ago when I got serious about studying the origins of the world's cultures. Any ideas I might have had about Judeo-Christian exclusivity with regards to myths of human origins went right out the window, and I was radicalized forever.

flow....:cool:

I said:
That's what I mean, Quahom - the Crucifixion and Resurrection surely require the Original Sin of the Garden of Eden?

So if a Liberal Christian point of view negates the literalism of the Garden of Eden, then aren't they also negating the literalism of the Crucifixion and Resurrection?

Simply exploring the topic. :)

Brian, I'm not sure I have it all straight here but I get the impression that in liberal Christianity the crucifixion and resurrection do not have the same central meaning as they do for more conservative Christianity. The reason may well be that with no original sin to be cleansed from there is no saviour required to pay the debt.

But there is another way to see things. Even without the doctrine of original sin, humans do make abundent mistakes in one little lifetime. Where I grew up the term original sin was not a common concept, but the death and resurrection of Jesus was central. Even when doing our very best we end up messing up all the time. We cannot so much as think one good thought without the aid of the Spirit. Such has been emphasized a lot in my original community.

God is supposedly so high and holy that no sin can be tolerated by him. But humans are completely incapable of making up for their failures because the good things we might use to make up should we have done anyway. So it all boils down to the need of a saviour who paid our debt. Something like that is how the theology goes that I was raised with.

No original sin and babies and children up to the age of accountability are innocent. But we sure do need a saviour to make up for our endless mistakes. I don't buy it but that is basically the theology I was raised with.

Ruby

RubySera_Martin said:
Brian, I'm not sure I have it all straight here but I get the impression that in liberal Christianity the crucifixion and resurrection do not have the same central meaning as they do for more conservative Christianity. The reason may well be that with no original sin to be cleansed from there is no saviour required to pay the debt.

But there is another way to see things. Even without the doctrine of original sin, humans do make abundent mistakes in one little lifetime. Where I grew up the term original sin was not a common concept, but the death and resurrection of Jesus was central. Even when doing our very best we end up messing up all the time. We cannot so much as think one good thought without the aid of the Spirit. Such has been emphasized a lot in my original community.

God is supposedly so high and holy that no sin can be tolerated by him. But humans are completely incapable of making up for their failures because the good things we might use to make up should we have done anyway. So it all boils down to the need of a saviour who paid our debt. Something like that is how the theology goes that I was raised with.

No original sin and babies and children up to the age of accountability are innocent. But we sure do need a saviour to make up for our endless mistakes. I don't buy it but that is basically the theology I was raised with.

Ruby

Tell me about Liberal Christianity. (note: I will listen without interjecting my thoughts), but then you will listen to what I have to say with the same...and you will present your opinions and response, to my view.

deal?

Back