What Movies Have You Seen Recently?

An American In Paris starring Gene Kelly, Leslie Caron, Louis Jourdan and several actors from that era. I brought pasta for everyone (got several compliments along with vocalizations of gratitude for my contribution [there was overly greasy/salty popcorn, Hawaiian Punch, overdone cookies and overly-sweet cake as well].)

John Q is planned for next week, but I'm not going.

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Clara, a science fiction movie I saw recently. Suspend belief, just let the love story come through. Absolutely gorgeous, heartbreaking, bittersweet.

(By the way, let the humans keep their almighty critiques, I'll take my fantasy over their bullcrap reviews any day. Elf uni earthbound blowhards.)

Last edited:
The movie Joe, perhaps Nicholas Cage's best work (along with Moonstruck). This one is very intense, fragile hearts please keep away. However if your heart can take a lot of pain you might find it rewarding. I was told a man who is no longer with us now cried when he watched this movie.

We watched "Knowing" last night with Nicholas Cage - it's pretty good - sorta puts forth the whole Angel/Alien idea as well as determinism

A "Do Not Watch Before Bed" horror film from South Korea, Train to Busan along with Parasite. I prefer "foreign" horror over "American" horror because they're more often filled with "competant" characters instead of "characatures" surrounding the main character.

I'm grateful that I had Korean-style barbecue "chicken" tacos to eat.

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Recently (re)watched A Man called Horse, Return of a Man called Horse, and Triumph of a Man called Horse

(Dumbledore was an adopted Native American long before he was headmaster at Hogwarts, and he was King Arthur before that)

Man called Horse is still a classic

Return of a Man called Horse loses a bit as sequels usually do, but still well worth watching

Triumph of a Man called Horse means well but quickly sidetracks and if missed, no great loss. But if bored, beats a lot of more recent "erunam."

The movies claim basis in history, but I have not been able to confirm the biography of John Morgan circa 1820-1850.

I saw parasite last night on youtube. Very well done, and not what I was expecting. A thinking man/woman's movie.

Recently (re)watched A Man called Horse, Return of a Man called Horse, and Triumph of a Man called Horse

(Dumbledore was an adopted Native American long before he was headmaster at Hogwarts, and he was King Arthur before that)

Man called Horse is still a classic

Return of a Man called Horse loses a bit as sequels usually do, but still well worth watching

Triumph of a Man called Horse means well but quickly sidetracks and if missed, no great loss. But if bored, beats a lot of more recent "erunam."

The movies claim basis in history, but I have not been able to confirm the biography of John Morgan circa 1820-1850.
Considering that the original movie is based on a short story about an unnamed man (not John Morgan) from Boston (not England) who is captured by the Crow (not the Sioux) who is able, in the end, to return home, I’m not surprised you haven’t found anything.

Last night I watched "Nightmare Alley". I would classify it as psychological horror. Very, very intense and brilliantly acted film noir. Not a feel good movie and not for the kids, but this all-star cast just killed it. Directed by Guillermo de Toro.

A mysterious man finds work at a carnival, and in doing so, ends up finding the purpose he was made for.

I have finally got around to seeing 'Harold and Maude' and am extremely glad that I did. Until the end, Maude was the ultimate feel-good factor for me. A superb film.
It was a nice reminder of how good Cat Stevens was too.

Some years ago I started watching 'Event Horizon' but never saw it all. I saw it mentioned on a list of 'cult films' that has previously given some good tips. So I thought of giving it a second chance. It seems to be a cross between Alien and Solaris but lacks the quality of either. It has quite a good storyline which sadly is submerged in the gunk of a bog standard action movie. The only bonus was the chance to see the incredibly gorgeous Joely Richardson. A generous 2 out of 10 for this crap film.

Last edited:
Back