Is Islam actually peaceful?

cavalier said:
Point (half) taken. I referred to western society, not (just) the US. I was back in England just last year.

I am curious as to which part in particular you took objection to?

lol, I didn't object to anything. It was an invite...:rolleyes:

Quahom1 said:
Why bother with someone with a chip on the shoulder the size of Manhattan, plus more knowledge on everything and everyone and how everything works or is a conspiracy or what ever, than all of us combined (lol).

I don't preach, nor am I concerned about not meeting your sensibilities, expectations, or trying to calm your perceived indignation.

v/r

Q
So thats what you'd say if Jesus (pbuh) were standing in front of you rebuking you. Why bother with you Jesus (pbuh)?! Good for Peter that he didn't have that reply!

Terrence said:
You know what? I could say that Islam is not a religon of peace, but I'm not sure that would be right. I feel the problem isnt so much the religon as it is the people. Religions in and of itself isnt bad, but people by nature, are. G.K. Chesterton once said in a responce to Time magazine's question, "what is wrong with the world," said the following:

"Dir Sir,
In responce to your question 'what is wrong with the world.'
I am.
Yours Truely,
G.K. Chesterton"

Did you get that? Chesterton, as a Christian, had the understanding that the world does not have a hunger problem or pollution problem or money problem or war problem or disease problem, but instead a people problem. People are whats wrong with the world. I am the problem, you are, and on and on. The indwelling sin in us makes us the problem Read romands 3 and Jesus' words..."There is NONE Good, no not one!" The most peaceful people on this planet are those fortunate sinners who have come to recornize the evil in them and have come to Christ whereby He may change them into His own image (like mr. Smith in the matrix movies).
I agree fully. Every soul by the grace of God (swt) can make a difference, but the flesh is evil by nature.

cavalier said:
Point (half) taken. I referred to western society, not (just) the US. I was back in England just last year.

I am curious as to which part in particular you took objection to?

Hell, I am curious as to which America is he talking about? :rolleyes:

cavalier said:
Over the issue of control, ok modern western society is different to Nazi Germany, but that does not mean we are not controlled.

Instead of control through fear, we are now controlled through ease.
The tools of our control are materialism, consumerism, super-sized meals, Hollywood, SUV's..

Who wants to go out and fight for something when it will mean getting up from your comfy sofa and turning off your TV?

We are controlled, we do "go with the flow" because it's just so damn easy.
Yes. Apathy is not removed by the amount of energy a person wastes on themselves. Also with increasing populations in the world every government power ratio has been ever increasing. In the USA 200+ years it is over a 100:1 increase. Each government has far greater power as technology and the number of souls increased per the same number of countries. So why place Faith in a government that does NOT equally place Faith in you? If a government takes 1/3 of your income, you should have a vote in due proportion for how that power is spent. How do 2 bits (Candidate A, Candidate B, No vote) every 2 years, 4 years, or never... convey the information as to whether you think stem cell research is rightful or wrong AND whether you think Islam is peaceful AND ... AND ... AND ...? I'm not talking an opinion poll... I'm not talking a BLOG... every soul needs to have more that 2 bits of judgement over many, many more issues. A 2 bits vote every 2 or 4 years is NOTHING! NOTHING! AAaaarrrgg! Hear my DOGS barking? Governments are NOT righteous if they are not serving the per the People's will. If they are leading or controlling instead of serving per the the will of the people, then they are evil or serving themselves as individuals.

Speaking of Islam, there is NO government in the ME that owns up to the verse that says NOT to place Faith in a LORD (President, dictator, monarchy, etc...) instead of God (swt). The closest are re-elected democracies. But I believe the country that progresses towards direct democracy will flourish on with the grace of God (swt). All the world problems today can easily be solved, but people need to place Faith in each other. God (swt) requires it. I'm not talking anarchy, I am talking about placing greater Faith in the neighbor that you know instead of the alledged government that you don't know. It can be through the governments, but they need to be servents led by the people... or things will only get worse.

Global warming can be reversed... it is not the end of the world. In fact it can be reversed by implementing a single word. Energy problems? I will remind the educated reader of the significance that Jesus (pbuh) turned water into a hydro-carbon. :eek:

cyberpi said:
So thats what you'd say if Jesus (pbuh) were standing in front of you rebuking you. Why bother with you Jesus (pbuh)?! Good for Peter that he didn't have that reply!

Right, Peter only denied Him three times. And you aren't Jesus, nor is yours a rebuke. It sounds more like contempt.

Islam's effort is for Peace, the killing were for the wicked of the past. The law may be too hard and stricted, but many moslems are successful in deliberating their-selves upon for the law is for the goodness of morality.

Buddha,
This thread is over 8 yrs old... and beyond that, what are you trying to say? It's definately a language issue as I understand the words but not how you put them together. Are you saying we Muslims are doing good?

As I can say either way. Islam is truly about peace. It has the Laws of Moses (PBUH) (to establish order) combined with the message of forgiveness that Prophet Jesus (PBUH) brought (to establish peace). I'm not going through a conversation that went on 8+ years ago to argue points, but all in all All Abrahamic Faiths are inherently good, and if followed correctly, are essentially the same.

These are obviously my opinion, Salaam Allahikum all

Re: rules

Yes, I find it quite disturbing, that a religion that says it is for tolerance and peace, only does so when required. A Muslim is free to practice their faith in virtually every western country, even those countries considered Christian. Muslims are generally free to worship, hold jobs, earn and save money, get healthcare, go to school, and come and go pretty much as they please. They are only asked to behave themselves, just like everybody else is expected to behave themselves.

While anyone would like this to be true it is incorrect. Muslims face heavy handed persecution and harassment in many western countries, most of it veiled. Ive had to lose a job due to my religion before.

Yet, in countries where Islam is the norm, and Sharia is the law of the land

No such thing.

After colonialism ended the caliphate, the vast majority of Muslim nations were forced to for the most part by their master Colony to follow secular civic law. The exception is perhaps Iran and Saudi and I would have a huge asterisk laying next to their version of Sharia

Saying, and doing, are two different things. When Christians and Muslims both figure this out, the world will be better off. As long as there are those who cheer for the suffering of others, there will be troubles in the world.

Muslims like any followers of another faith are not immune to error or violence.

The saddest part to the whole story, is that Islam does know how to co-exist. When Europe was in the deepest depths of the Dark Ages, shrouded in superstition and ignorance, Islam kept learning and science alive. When the Enlightenment finally dawned in Europe, it was in no small part because of Islam that reason and logic returned. Places like Toledo, where Islamic communities offered cosmopolitan opportunities for trade and education and discovery, were the envy of their day, and a safe haven for any who sought refuge. Where has this Islam gone?

Dark ages.

During the latter years of the Ottoman empire education was disallowed outside of turkey in order to prevent mass revolt. Later swaths of land were colonized by the british and french who to this day have meddled in the affairs of such nations along with the U.S.

Abraham led a peaceful mission .Mohammed, Jesus and Moses took the same mission. Therefore, it is necessary to understand the meaning of the Old Testament, the New Testament and the final Testament.

1.And it is in the scriptures of the ancients.
2.The Seal of Prophets (old,new& final).Messenger open .

The posts I read are naive. Islam unlike most Christian faiths is not based on any covenant with God but on the promises of Mohammed their prophet. Islam is not in any way a religion of peace. The only peace it asks for is restricted to peace between faithful Moslems.

The killing of an infidel is a guaranteed ticket into heaven for a Moslem. An infidel is anyone who is not a faithful Moslem. The use of force to promote their submission to Allah is the rule.

There is no such thing as a fanatical Moslem there is only those Moslem people who have been given permission by their religious leaders to show the true face of Islam publicly. The remaining people hide their head in the sand because they know that Christianity promotes a kindness and compassion that can be used as a weapon against us.

The earliest reports of Islam even during the life of Mohammed was that they spread their rule by giving people the choice of life as a Moslem or death. The vast armies that invaded Europe in the seventh century were composed mostly of the children of Christians that had been kidnapped by Islamic raiders throughout the Mediterranean. They had taken tens of thousands of children during the fifty years preceding the invasion. These children were forced to become Moslem and then trained as an army to go back and kill their own people.

Our greatest weakness today is democracy. They do not need to fight us they only need to out populate us. Which they are doing at an alarming rate. While almost all western countries have a 1.3 -1.6 birth rate Islam has an 8.3 they need only remain in hiding until they can vote democratically for an Islamic government then Sharia law will take care of the rest.

The posts I read are naive. Islam unlike most Christian faiths is not based on any covenant with God but on the promises of Mohammed their prophet. Islam is not in any way a religion of peace. The only peace it asks for is restricted to peace between faithful Moslems.
Naive? Me thinks thou dost protest too much. The religion is based on Mohamed recording his understanding from G!d/Allah, one in the same.
The killing of an infidel is a guaranteed ticket into heaven for a Moslem. An infidel is anyone who is not a faithful Moslem. The use of force to promote their submission to Allah is the rule.
Appears you actually haven't read the Quran, but base your opinion on the hate speech and soundbites of others. Submission to Allah? You mean not my will but G!d's will? Where have we heard that. No the killing of an infidel is not Quranic, nor a ticket to heaven and is acceptable only at war, only in Mecca, and only after all other options have been exhausted. but 2 Chronicles 15:13 is clear, as is Deut 13:13 and there are more....the lord our G!d is all about the smiting of infidels..
There is no such thing as a fanatical Moslem there is only those Moslem people who have been given permission by their religious leaders to show the true face of Islam publicly. The remaining people hide their head in the sand because they know that Christianity promotes a kindness and compassion that can be used as a weapon against us.
Jesus would be ashamed. And G!d... she can't be happy...taking notes she is.
The earliest reports of Islam even during the life of Mohammed was that they spread their rule by giving people the choice of life as a Moslem or death. The vast armies that invaded Europe in the seventh century were composed mostly of the children of Christians that had been kidnapped by Islamic raiders throughout the Mediterranean. They had taken tens of thousands of children during the fifty years preceding the invasion. These children were forced to become Moslem and then trained as an army to go back and kill their own people.
You talking about the crusades now? We wanna go apples to apples?
Our greatest weakness today is democracy. They do not need to fight us they only need to out populate us. Which they are doing at an alarming rate. While almost all western countries have a 1.3 -1.6 birth rate Islam has an 8.3 they need only remain in hiding until they can vote democratically for an Islamic government then Sharia law will take care of the rest.
Maybe you should look at actual growth rates by country and explain your fantastical statistics... 8 children per couple? Really?

If we could use the energy of hate and ignorance we could provide "light" to the world.

Really? Where did you get this from? Fox News?

Not even the Prophets (PBUTA) have a guaranteed ticket into heaven, so your statement is already void. But furthermore, Infidel, does not come from the Quran. Unbelievers, People of the Book, Polytheists are all mentioned. And none of those are prescribed death in peacetime. If they attack, you are to defend. If they are at war with you, kill them. If they kill your family or friend, you can kill them, but that is not required as there is more favor in forgiveness.

Who is my religious leader? I stand below no man. Nor above. There is no point in deception. The Quran is publicly available. Quran.com for free, you can read it from several translations, their explanation, and Hadith at Sunnah.com . If we had something to hide, would we make the evidence against us so readily known?

7th century? you sure? 632 AD is the date commonly given for the death of the Prophet Mouhammed (PBUH). That invasion into Europe happened in 20 years? I think you are referring to the Turkish invasion of the 1000s I believe. (right before that pesky First Crusade.) The back and forth continues until the Ottoman Turks take Constantinople, and rename it Istanbul (found out recently that is a greek word for "the city".) The Ottomans had an army of Soldiers that were captured children after battles were won against the Greeks and there were no men to take care of them. (that's another one of those pesky Muslim things that if you kill the men, the women and children must be taken care of, although it hasn't always been followed correctly) The boys weren't converted, The Ottomans even had Churches for them to go to. They were trained and given the best equipment. These were known as Jannissaries. Go to Istanbul sometime and you can see all this for yourself.

8.3 birth rate? WOW!!! I know we are the fastest growing religion, But I'm pretty sure it has more to do with people like me who find Islam and convert/revert. Sharia Law does not affect you, so there is no reason to fear it. It is law that we are supposed to follow. If/when Muslims do become a majority, If we implement Islamic Law (although most Islamic countries do not have an official Islamic Law statement) you still have the choice to pay jizya (charity tax) or leave peacefully. Assuming you do pay jizya, you should be happy, as it is a Hell of a lot cheaper than taxes are now.

Islam indeed is a message of Peace. It calls on adherents to peaceful. The very name of the religion embodies Peace. Peace in Arabic is "Salam". Islam means achieving peace through submission to God's will. Peace between the individual and his/herself, peace with other humans, peace with the environment as a whole, and ultimately peace with God by a willing, loving and conscious submission of one's will to the will of God. The Quran and life account of the prophet PBUH is filled with examples of that.

Back