The path has become more of a dirt track.

Well, a fairly successful comeback thread I feel! :)

Seriously though, it is such a relief to see that so many people are in a similar position.

Thank you all for sharing.

Hey Guys:

I've been out here on the end of the tree limb swinging in the breeze for about twenty five years now. Being a seeker IS NOT EASY, but it is very rewarding since it becomes self-evident to you that your view of the world is unique and like none other in its entirety.

This is what it means to explore the eternal, for what we are doing is never ending if our children and their children are to make their way into the future.

Have faith. Watch for the signs. They are all around us, as are the angels of our better life who show us a way when we come to believe that there is none.

flow....;)

[FONT=&quot]John Donne put it this way:

"On a huge hill,
Cragged and steep, Truth stands, and he that will
Reach her, about must and about must go,"

Another image that comes to mind is Kafka's unreachable castle. But then there's Ferlinghetti's take on the Castle (from A CONEY ISLAND OF THE MIND):

[/FONT] 1Kafka's Castle stands above the world

2 like a last bastille

3 of the Mystery of Existence

4 Its blind approaches baffle us

5 Steep paths

6 plunge nowhere from it

7 Roads radiate into air

8 like the labyrinth wires

8of a telephone central

10 thru which all calls are

11 infinitely untraceable

12 Up there

13 it is heavenly weather

14 Souls dance undressed

15together

and like loiterers

17 on the fringes of a fair

18 we ogle the unobtainable

19 imagined mystery

20 Yet away around on the far side

21 like the stage door of a circus tent

22 is a wide wide vent in the battlements

23 where even elephants

24 waltz thru

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

Now I have no clear spiritual guide and no clear direction. Part of me thinks that this is a good opportunity to grow, another part of me is worried that I am making no progress and a small part of me thinks that I should go back to the NKT and just ignore all the things that made alarm bells ring in my head.

You listed 3 voices within yourself, which one is really yours?
Listen to your inner voice, respect yourself. In my view seeking is spontaneus, striving is effort.

Thanks for the other comments, I found them very inspiring.

China Cat Sunflower said:
Well, thanks man! I thought I was the only one.

I dunno, you get far enough and the "path" peters out. Then you give up your blankie because you're trying to strip down to the essentials. Then pretty soon there's nothing left. No faith, no belief, just everyday, ordinary life. Then I wished I could find something to go back to because I had given up all my toys and had nothing left to play with. Damn, I passed up my chance for ignorant bliss and now it's too late. I never should'a asked those questions. And now I can't go back. Now I'm stuck out here on the perimeter where there are no stars. Damn!

Oh well, it's too late dude. But don't you think this is pretty much exactly what the Buddha was talking about? I mean, the desire for a measure of comfort in faith and belief?

Chris

My favorite part is when the path "peters out". I think that's when you can feel the magic the most...when there's nothing else. Comfort is an attachment, toys are an attachment.

It's hard not to have a formula, though..., maybe I didn't study as much so I didn't suck all the juice out of it.

When the path seems to peter out, what we need, I think, is a change of focus, or new lens, to see it. There are always our daily duties, our responsibilities, etc.

Nancy Mairs, in an article "Letting Go of God" in the current NOTRE DAME MAGAZINE, says,

"Better, I think, to embrace chaos, which has, physicists have discovered, its own weird elegance, and to admit that no Supreme Being stands outside creation taking charge, in the comforting way the vestigial infant in each of us would like to think, of the events that befall us. God is the whole: the fall, the pain, the healing, the new fall . . . . We are never left alone to face the tests an Almighty Examiner chooses to set for us. We, like the rest of creation, are in God, of God, and God is unfailingly present as Whatever Happens Next."

Once again I come to this thread.........................this time as some sort of refugee from another forum where a thread I was involved in began to become far to "heavy" for me to endure. Anyway, I just wish to offer a quote, from the words of the Trappist monk Thomas Merton in his "Note to the Reader" from his book "The Way of Chuang Tzu".

It seems relevant to this thread.

"...............the way (of Chuang Tzu)...is characteristic of a certain mentality found everywhere in the world, a certain taste for simplicity, for humilty, self-effacement, silence, and in general a refusal to take seriously the aggressivity, the ambition, the push, and the self-importance which one must display in order to get along in society. This other is a 'way' that prefers not to get anywhere in the world, or even in the field of some supposedly spiritual attainment....................For Chuang Tzu, as for the Gospel, to lose one's life is to save it, and to seek to save it for one's own sake is to lose it. There is an affirmation of the world that is nothing but ruin and loss. There is a renunciation of the world that finds and saves man in his own home..........In any event, the 'way' of Chuang Tzu is mysterious because it is so simple that it can get along without being a way at all. Least of all is it a 'way out'. Chuang Tzu would have agreed with St John of the Cross, that you enter upon this kind of way when you leave all ways and, in some sense, get lost"

Anyway, sorry I am not offering at the moment anything from personal experience. But I do recognise here the gentle and kind way that people of various paths seek to encourage each other.

Thank you.
Derek
:)

Tariki said:
Once again I come to this thread.........................this time as some sort of refugee from another forum where a thread I was involved in began to become far to "heavy" for me to endure. Anyway, I just wish to offer a quote, from the words of the Trappist monk Thomas Merton in his "Note to the Reader" from his book "The Way of Chuang Tzu".

"...............the way (of Chuang Tzu)...is characteristic of a certain mentality found everywhere in the world, a certain taste for simplicity, for humilty, self-effacement, silence, and in general a refusal to take seriously the aggressivity, the ambition, the push, and the self-importance which one must display in order to get along in society. This other is a 'way' that prefers not to get anywhere in the world, or even in the field of some supposedly spiritual attainment....................For Chuang Tzu, as for the Gospel, to lose one's life is to save it, and to seek to save it for one's own sake is to lose it. There is an affirmation of the world that is nothing but ruin and loss. There is a renunciation of the world that finds and saves man in his own home..........In any event, the 'way' of Chuang Tzu is mysterious because it is so simple that it can get along without being a way at all. Least of all is it a 'way out'. Chuang Tzu would have agreed with St John of the Cross, that you enter upon this kind of way when you leave all ways and, in some sense, get lost"

Anyway, sorry I am not offering at the moment anything from personal experience. But I do recognise here the gentle and kind way that people of various paths seek to encourage each other.

Thank you.
Derek

In Christianity as well there has long been a strong tradition of contempt for the world and its ways. Jesus said,

"You know that those who are recognized as ruiers among the Gentiles [the worldly] lord it over them, and their great men exercise authority over them.

"But it is not this way among you. Whoever wishes to become great among you shall be your servant. And whoever wishes to become first among y0u shall be slave of all." (Mark 10:42-44)

Namaste AT5,

thank you for the post.

perhaps a bit of the Dhamma would be appropriate here.

to wit, the Kalama Sutta.

excerpt:

"It is proper for you, Kalamas, to doubt, to be uncertain; uncertainty has arisen in you about what is doubtful. Come, Kalamas. Do not go upon what has been acquired by repeated hearing; nor upon tradition; nor upon rumor; nor upon what is in a scripture; nor upon surmise; nor upon an axiom; nor upon specious reasoning; nor upon a bias towards a notion that has been pondered over; nor upon another's seeming ability; nor upon the consideration, 'The monk is our teacher.' Kalamas, when you yourselves know: 'These things are bad; these things are blamable; these things are censured by the wise; undertaken and observed, these things lead to harm and ill,' abandon them."

"Come, Kalamas. Do not go upon what has been acquired by repeated hearing; nor upon tradition; nor upon rumor; nor upon what is in a scripture; nor upon surmise; nor upon an axiom; nor upon specious reasoning; nor upon a bias towards a notion that has been pondered over; nor upon another's seeming ability; nor upon the consideration, 'The monk is our teacher.' Kalamas, when you yourselves know: 'These things are good; these things are not blamable; these things are praised by the wise; undertaken and observed, these things lead to benefit and happiness,' enter on and abide in them."

metta,

~v

Tariki said:

Thank you.
Derek
Hey Tariki. I know of what thread you spoke, (seems like that forum's been tilting too much to the monochromatic, stilted,and literal lately hasn't it?) But yes in the spirit I think you mean there's always good old Lin-Chi, Rinzai Zen founder: "If you want to live freely or die, go or stay, to take off or put on (your clothes), then right now recognize the man who is listening to my discourse. He is without form, without characteristics, without root, without source, and without any dwelling place yet is brisk and lively." Lin-Chi, also in the same regard spoke of the enlightened man as a man "without rank." Without dwelling place, without rank, yet free to roam. I do believe that pathless path is the life/death we ultimately seek to live. Does that come in a brand name?:D Have a good one, earl

Hello Vaj, I don't understand Buddhism much:eek:, but what you quoted is so true.
I agree it is an important ingredient to listen to your pure inner voice if that makes sense, but I believe that first what we need is to fulfil our need of love and acceptance to a reasonable degree.
Otherwise we will be paralized with fear, too scared of walking it alone, too worried about being rejected or damned.
Even worse you can jump all the way and deceive yourself because your sense of worth will be too distorted and externalised, you will still carry with you the voices of your teachers, your bullies, your parents, etc. End result, you get a fine neurotic religious/spiritual person.

People have been woderful in this thread, they have been supporting in a way that is unobstrusive, building up love and self worth I hope?

Caimanson said:
Hello Vaj, I don't understand Buddhism much:eek:, but what you quoted is so true.
I agree it is an important ingredient to listen to your pure inner voice if that makes sense, but I believe that first what we need is to fulfil our need of love and acceptance to a reasonable degree.
Otherwise we will be paralized with fear, too scared of walking it alone, too worried about being rejected or damned.
Even worse you can jump all the way and deceive yourself because your sense of worth will be too distorted and externalised, you will still carry with you the voices of your teachers, your bullies, your parents, etc. End result, you get a fine neurotic religious/spiritual person.

People have been woderful in this thread, they have been supporting in a way that is unobstrusive, building up love and self worth I hope?
Here is a bit more from the Kalama Sutta, which stresses what is really essential:

16. "The disciple of the Noble Ones, Kalamas, who in this way is devoid of coveting, devoid of ill will, un-deluded, clearly comprehending and mindful, dwells, having pervaded, with the thought of amity, one quarter; likewise the second; likewise the third; likewise the fourth; so above, below, and across; he dwells, having pervaded because of the existence in it of all living beings, everywhere, the entire world, with the great, exalted, boundless thought of amity that is free of hate or malice.

<...>

17. "The disciple of the Noble Ones, Kalamas, who has such a hate-free mind, such a malice-free mind, such an undefiled mind, and such a purified mind, is one by whom four solaces are found here and now.

When these qualities are realized, scripture, traditions, axiams, specious reasonings, and biases based upon them take a back seat.

earl said:
Hey Tariki. I know of what thread you spoke, (seems like that forum's been tilting too much to the monochromatic, stilted,and literal lately hasn't it?) But yes in the spirit I think you mean there's always good old Lin-Chi, Rinzai Zen founder: "If you want to live freely or die, go or stay, to take off or put on (your clothes), then right now recognize the man who is listening to my discourse. He is without form, without characteristics, without root, without source, and without any dwelling place yet is brisk and lively." Lin-Chi, also in the same regard spoke of the enlightened man as a man "without rank." Without dwelling place, without rank, yet free to roam. I do believe that pathless path is the life/death we ultimately seek to live. Does that come in a brand name?:D Have a good one, earl

Earl,

Nice to hear from you again. I certainly don't wish to give myself any "airs and graces" as far as "enlightenment " is concerned. I claim to live nowhere but the "lower yanas"......in the valleys so to speak! Yet when others insist it MUST be an Armani suit rather than beachwear that's taken off or put on........................

When these qualities are realized, scripture, traditions, axiams, specious reasonings, and biases based upon them take a back seat.[/quote]

I 'm not familiar with the context of the extract you quoted, it sounds a lot like the fruits of the Spirit, like an ultimate standard to aspire to, which is fine if it is a realistic aim rather than a goal.
I say this because in IMHO "perfection" of that kind is not possible (at least not permanently).
Still, how do you get there (and stay there) if your life has too many cracks, if you are more or less together and whole you probably won't bother getting there anyway, because you are not much of a tortured soul.

Sorry I'm a bit too cynical, I prefer more realistic aims, or at least aims that are packaged more sensibly and accessible, they give me more freedom and less fuel to my demons.
I feel that when people do get close is without intending or trying, it is spontaneus. You didn't catch the wave, the wave catched you.

As for myself I haven't seen a big wave for quite a while, at least I get to enjoy the earthly scenery a little bit.

A friend of mine was being ordained/initiated?? as a Buddhist Monk. Through some complications the monk of the Tibetan tradition from whence he studied was not available for the ceremony, but it was deemed to proceed with the event. The NGO representative of the American Buddhists came down from NY to do the ceremony. I was blessed to be halfway between the two, and asked to arrange a space and attend.

Of the many wonderful things he said, one that stuck was,(paraphrased) "Trust nothing, believe nothing, learn everything for yourself. Don't believe me or the sutras, read, explore prove and learn for yourself"

wil said:
Of the many wonderful things he said, one that stuck was,(paraphrased) "Trust nothing, believe nothing, learn everything for yourself. Don't believe me or the sutras, read, explore prove and learn for yourself"

This really is the only way to fly, IMHO. Of course it automatically makes one a heretical, blasphemous Christian... if not a terrorist of some flavor.

flow....:)

flowperson said:
This really is the only way to fly, IMHO. Of course it automatically makes one a heretical, blasphemous Christian... if not a terrorist of some flavor.

flow....:)

Not heretic..."thinker"...:D

v/r

Q

Caimanson said:
When these qualities are realized, scripture, traditions, axiams, specious reasonings, and biases based upon them take a back seat.

I 'm not familiar with the context of the extract you quoted, it sounds a lot like the fruits of the Spirit, like an ultimate standard to aspire to, which is fine if it is a realistic aim rather than a goal.
I say this because in IMHO "perfection" of that kind is not possible (at least not permanently).
Still, how do you get there (and stay there) if your life has too many cracks, if you are more or less together and whole you probably won't bother getting there anyway, because you are not much of a tortured soul.

Sorry I'm a bit too cynical, I prefer more realistic aims, or at least aims that are packaged more sensibly and accessible, they give me more freedom and less fuel to my demons.
I feel that when people do get close is without intending or trying, it is spontaneus. You didn't catch the wave, the wave catched you.

As for myself I haven't seen a big wave for quite a while, at least I get to enjoy the earthly scenery a little bit.
Perhaps this poem might help, when taken in the context of this thread:
Poem – The centipede
by Mrs Edmund Craster (d. 1874)

A centipede was happy quite,
Until a toad in fun
Said ‘Pray which leg moves after which ?
This raised her doubts to such a pitch
She fell exhausted in a ditch,
Not knowing how to run.

While lying in this plight,
A ray of sunshine caught her sight;
She dwelt upon its beauties long,
Till breaking into happy song,
Unthinking she began to run,
And quite forgot the croakers fun.

Caimanson said:

"A clearly enlightened person falls in the well. How is this so?"

(Traditional Zen Koan)

.............and from the Christian tradition, from Julian of Norwich.....

"If there be anywhere on earth a lover of God who is always kept safe, I know nothing of it, for it was not shown to me. But this was shown: that in falling and rising again we are always kept in that same precious love."

Just two perspectives to reflect upon.............whatever our path, where-ever we are...........

Seems to me for all of us the path sometimes is a dirt track, at others an uphill climb through the jungle using the machete ten times for every step...then we have the wonder of a slide into a pool...and it obliterates completely all that questioning and strife...

then back to the desert....

the higher we climb, the more determined we are as seekers, the more challenges/opportunities for growth arise.

Back