What about the devil?

Caimanson

Mind or spirit?
Reaction score
First of all, apologies if this subject has been dealt with before.

Reading the OT the only direct reference of the devil that I can think of is in the book of Job, if I remember correctly there are a few allegories in the prophesies against the kings of Tyre and Babylon and of course the snake in the garden of Eden. Then there is the worship of pagan deities that neighbours of the Hebrews practiced.

In the NT Jesus was tempted by the devil, Jesus and Paul cast out demons, etc.

1) How did we jump from the OT to the NT with a full blown concept of satan/devil, any historical references? A lot of the prophetic books while full of hope they are also full of fear, I suspect that some of the contents are political propaganda against the enemy.

2) Many people who have an issue with the concept of God say how a God that is love can allow so much suffering. The taoist view of things logically suggest that there is no white without black, so is the concept of the devil an attempt by us humans to split out the "dark" side of God, into a one sided God that is more palatable? If we assume this is true, what is this "dark" side of God like?

Looking at the prophecies against the kings of Tyre and Babylon, I always understood evil, as our own self-centeredness (is not about being literally evil, but simply when we put ourselves before everybody else). When you hurt somebody you care more about yourself than the other, the same thing when you fail to do what is "right".
IMHO this view that the world is a wild jungle where only the fittest survive is very well explained by the theory of evolution, that we humans in a literal and metaphorical sense are nothing more than animals striving for survival. What would be a more philosophical/spiritual explanation of selfishness?

Your thoughts?

Your thoughts?

Thank you, Caimanson, for the question, which I shall try to answer intuitively, as thoughts come to mind.

Your question indeed contains words that may well give us an indication where to go for greater understanding of the concept of (d)evil.

The NT contains an account of where Jesus rebukes his disciple, Peter, with the words, "Get thee behind me, Satan!"

Jesus explains this shocking rebuke by saying Peter's thoughts are not those of God, but the thoughts of men, the way men think and consider things, in opposition to God's mind, or will: "You are standing in my way, Peter, when you look at things from man's point of view and not from God's.

Consider then, that this rebuke comes shortly after the praise Jesus gave Peter for realizing that He was the Messiah, adding, "for it was not flesh and blood (your own nature--man's thinking) that revealed this to you, but my Father who is in heaven."

It is clear from this that man's thinking, when in opposition to God's mind and will, is a potential vehicle for Satanic activity, for it sides him with the Adversary [Heb. Satan adversary, plotter].

However, one must also regard Jesus' word that He saw Satan fall from heaven. Jesus refers to something that he witnessed in the spirit, of a spiritual being or entity being cast from the (heavenly) presence of God, Who is Spirit.

One may know from this that any spirit-being, man or angel, that is of a contrary spirit to the Spirit of Holiness, may be considered hellish, or devilish, or Satanic, or of the realm of darkness. Therefore it is said that when a person repents, and is saved, that one is transplanted from the domain of evil and darkness into the Kingdom of Light of the Beloved, and all the spirit-beings of heaven (in the Presence of God) rejoice.

That's what I think, and I think that is enough, for now.

Respectfully,

Learner.

leastone said:
It is clear from this that man's thinking, when in opposition to God's mind and will, is a potential vehicle for Satanic activity, for it sides him with the Adversary [Heb. Satan adversary, plotter].

One may know from this that any spirit-being, man or angel, that is of a contrary spirit to the Spirit of Holiness, may be considered hellish, or devilish, or Satanic, or of the realm of darkness. Therefore it is said that when a person repents, and is saved, that one is transplanted from the domain of evil and darkness into the Kingdom of Light of the Beloved, and all the spirit-beings of heaven (in the Presence of God) rejoice.

Hello Learner, thanks for that response.
I somehow feel compelled to agree with your view, that in essence it is about going against God and the order of things that he has established (if one sees it from the bible strictly).
The problem of sticking to the bible (or a coventional interpretation of it), is where does the seed of evil comes from? after all we and all creation come originally from God. Yes free will explains something, but not all of it, you can get into avenues where God's attributes are put into question.
That's why I was suggesting ideas from taoism for an alternative view of the nature of creation/universe and perhaps God itself.
Are we missing something from the story of the fall that we haven't quite grasped?

Still your point about being against the order of things rings true to me.

(this is a 2-parter ... sorry, too tired to edit right now)

My approach to the Fall is that we have missed the point, and misunderstood the story, entirely. I believe that as an allegory, it is meant to help us understand something about our origins, about our relationship with God (or the Creator), and about how Humanity came to exist in its present form ... as different or distinct from the original conditions of our being.

But to tack on the concept of `original sin' - and thereby effectively "stamp" each of us as an individual with the burden of being `fallen from grace' ... is where I think theology has commited a grave error and done us all a disservice. I'm not interested in pointing fingers, but I do think it's worth getting the story straight.

I had started a post while ago that I've accidentally deleted, but I'll summarize by saying that I have both an opinion on the matter about Satan - and Liberal Christianity - as well as a belief, or an understanding, and these two happen to differ. Here's what I mean:

My opinion is that we should be free to entertain the idea that Satan, as such, does not exist ... and actually, this is basically true, as best I understand various Teachings. To externalize our own weaknesses, imperfections and vices, or what I've even seen some Christians call our "sin nature," is where I think we go wrong. It's when we try to evade or shirk responsibility for our actions, and hang them on someone else's neck. This scapegoating (funny how GOAT is even a part of that very word - an interesting etymology, if one looks it up) is what leads to the confounding of evil with a Satan-figure, and allows us to dissociate ourselves from the unsavory aspects of our own being(s). And it is unfortunate, and wrong.

So as Liberal Christians, I think it makes all the sense in the world, and is at least closer to the truth of things, to take the approach that you have mentioned, Caimanson, and which you have seconded, Learner, in saying that evil is our own self-centeredness, it is when we put our OWN self first, before the good of others and of the group, or the whole. This returns us to the concept of Responsibility for our own actions ... and I think this is as Christ would have it, for it is what He taught! :)

Certainly Christ did not tell us that we could say a few Hail Marys, or enter into prayer, apologize, and dump the burden of karma - or Responsibility - upon His, God's, or anyone else's shoulders, simply because we feel guilty, or even because we have come to know, understand and recognize at heart that what we have done is wrong. However, to realize the latter, is to learn some of the very lessons for which we are here, and this is where, and when, I think karma is adjusted accordingly ... but not because we have groveled properly, or happened to recite the name of God-Jesus in a way that is soothing to His ears - :rolleyes: - but rather, automatically. And that's just a wee bit difficult for some folks to consider, I'm afraid, because the idea of a God that can be that far ahead of the game is just ... well, foreign. :eek:

But anyway, I see all this as a good measure more enlightened than what we encounter on a day to day basis, and what, unfortunately, still seems to prevail in many circles. And yet, something I've just come to accept, as unsettling as it happens to be, is the idea that indeed, a rather advanced being of Angelic nature, did descend from Heaven into lower realms of this planet. I understand this as something that came about exactly as Humanity's own descent did - in direct response to, or compliance with, God's Plan, or instruction.

And the parallel, sadly, is that Humanity is not altogether unlike Lucifer, in that both - having descended (and this was NOT the sin, for this was God's command, and intent) - have not yet Ascended, or returned to God. Now on the one hand, there is Humanity, and though we may have delayed our gradual ascent somewhat, erring here and stumbling there, we remain largely innocent, or blameless, in terms of outright evil, or intentional straying from the Path. This is because we have never even attained to the Spiritual awareness and level of enlightenment of Lucifer (or similar beings - all lumped together with the label `Angels' in Christianity).

And even Lucifer, although this presence does now work in direct opposition to Christ and to God's Plan ... even Lucifer cannot and should not be scapegoated with Humanity's negative karma. I hope there is not objection to the use of this word, since I'm not appealing to Eastern religions (although, why not?), but simply pointing out that as a planet, and as collective Humanity, just as individuals, we do maintain the burden of Responsibility when it comes to our actions - whether we know it or not, and also whether or not we happen to believe it!

The same is true of Lucifer, and of those who collaborate in oposing God's Plan, and at present, I personally believe that incredible Powers for Peace, for Enlightnement and for Spiritual Good are cooperating to "seal the door" against evil upon planet Earth. Christ is essentially the spearhead of this effort, being more outwardly active than at any time for 2000 years, and but a few short years from His Return or Reappearance.

I know, I know, I'm rolling my own eyes, but I have no interest in wearing a sandwich sign on the corner, I just think that soon enough we'll all be able to simply nod, because this will be even more obvious than it is, or should be, NOW.

So even if we do acknowledge the lodge of the dark forces, or those who openly oppose Christ and the Powers of Good, can we blame them for all evil, for the origins of evil upon this planet, and/or for Humanity's own burden of karma? As to the latter, absolutely not. As for all evil, still, I don't think so - and certainly not in terms of the origin of evil on a cosmic scale, or as a principle in Creation that actively opposes Good. In this, I am in total agreement with what's already been said. We need to consider looking at it a bit more as the Taoists do, and realize that Good/Evil are the yin and yang of manifestation - they are just two sides of the same coin. And NO, you really can't have one without the other.

But this doesn't eliminate ethics, or Responsibilty for all action. Not hardly. It just means that while we're incarnate in the worlds of form, in human bodies, upon this planet, there are certain conditions which we cannot escape - because this is just the nature of things, this is how things are ... in the world. And the Buddha pointed this out quite clearly in the Four Noble Truths. Should not a good liberal Christian be open to the Wisdom found within this viewpoint, in the mindset of followers of Eastern religion, and in fact, within all the world's other relgions?

Yes, I think, while preferring the example of Christ Jesus, and while still actively resisting evil (getting back to the point), and while laboring selflessly and Joyously for the sake of GOOD. We can acknowledge and even oppose evil, yet go about doing Good without having to maintain a heavy heart, or a troubled conscience (or consciousness). Unfortunatley, I'll have to admit that after learning various things, here & there, about what we're up against, I've often lost hope, shed tears, and sometimes felt a good bit like throwing in the towel.

But that's not owing to the efforts, much less to the successes, of the dark forces - at least not fundamentally, or by & large. The largest burden of responsibility - the cause - for us getting into the mess we're in, is US. It's just ignorance, and at this point, a refusal to TAKE responsibility - for ourselves, our own actions, and for the well-being of each other & of the planet, speaking collectively. Lucifer might have found the chink in the armor, and exploited our weakness, helping fuel the fires of hate and of self-destruction, but he did not originate them, or bring them from without. :(

My studies have suggested that evil, as we know it, came to the planet Earth during Atlantean times, and this immediately makes it a difficult problem and one hard of study, since a lot of people still chuckle, and don't even acknowledge this period of our history. I think it's the ostrich-head-in-the-sand syndrome. Kind of like, out of sight, out of mind.

But in short, we had a much closer-knit society about a million years ago (and prior), with a Priesthood which KNEW our Divine Guides and Spiritual Instructors, since these walked OPENLY among us. The populace, as awhole, therefore also knew them. But Humanity wasn't nearly as intellectually advanced, science as we know it, did not exist. And the masses did look to the priesthood for guidance, for the most part, because these were the only folks who were really prepared to receive the Spiritual Teachings in an advanced form. The story is a familiar one. It's about temptation and the abuse of power, the exaltation of the lesser self above the Divine Principle - which is a failure to allow God (and the God within), to uplift and guide our outward actions (and thoughts, desires and motivations).

So a wedge was driven between the priesthood and the Teachers, while the former asserted their (lesser, material) power ... and a terrible abuse of all the forms and powers of Nature occurred. We began to openly exploit the gifts of our Angelic Brethren who were at that time visible, and interacted with us directly. After the catastrophes, the door was sealed to further interaction, save in the spiritual worlds, and in cases of rare and exceptional purity. And so it has remained.

We all know the tales, of catastrophes occurring by means of flood - this being Humanity's own karma ... and no wrath of an angry god. What a terrible, ugly perversion of the facts - to allow such distortion to color our understanding. `Angry god' - two words that have NEVER belonged together, for the one immediately destroys and poisons the other ... yet seeing the powers of nature, and our inability to totally shield ourselves from them, can we blame a primitive people for the error? Perhaps not.

The floods must have been horrible, frightening beyond all imagining, yet this was our doing, not God's. And Plato gives the account of the final sinking, in 9564BC, of the island of Poseidonis - which was the REMNANT of this former state of Humanity. Evil, as we know it, by this time was well-integrated into our body collective, and was by this point just a factor to be weighed, in the life of the individual.

Other accounts trace the inception of evil a bit further back, to the time when giants (nephilim, gibburim) walked the earth - surely a prehistoric era, though one which contemporary science cannot yet fathom. Biblical accounts tell us plainly that our stature was much, much larger, and that essentially we were animal-men, not nearly in possession of the faculties we have today. So in greatest measure, it is understandable that we made a rather unfortunate mistake, and "bred with huge, she-animals" - which gave rise to the anthropoid ape, or its ancestors. We basically let our sexual instinct, bestiality in the truest sense ... take over. And this did derail our spiritual - and material - evolution, temporarily. It can be said to be the origin of evil in one sense, though nowhere nearly as blameworthy or culpable as the violations during Atlantis.

But none of this really answers the deeper question, and I know that. We ask the question, Why do bad things happen to good people, and this can be approached and answered in two ways. My belief is that one CAN walk the spiritual path of a Liberal Christian with an understanding of rebrith and of karma. Knowing that this is simply God's Plan, and how God has ordered the Heavens and the Earth (meaning EVERY planet, and every system within Cosmos) ... has perhaps been something that has cleared up more confusion, removed more doubt, and answered more questions - such as this one, and others - than anything else in my learning. But it doesn't address an even deeper, more philosophical question.

Why does evil, as such, even exist at all - to begin with? Or to phrase it in a more Christian format: Why did God create Evil? And you see, it does not good to try and say, ahh, but He didn't! That was Lucifer, and the Fall - of the angels. This, even if it were true, is a bit absurd, when we consider the notion of Deity as all-knowing & all-wise, not to mention the teaching that Angels do not have `Free Will,' as such. How, if there was no free will, could a being choose to rebel IN ANY FORM OR FASHION? You have obviously not really considered this question deeply enough, if you can come up with an answer!

Logic alone is enough, here. In short, ONLY if God has at some level, and in some way, WILLED IT - could evil come about. :)

And so, I'm not sure if one can see things this way and still say, "I'm a liberal Christan" or not - so I'm curious to know if what I'm about to say tramples too much on our beliefs about God ... or if it's tenable. It's the Gospel Truth, as I understand and believe it - but that's beside the point. Does it work for folks? That's what matters! :rolleyes:

The only way that evil could come into being, is if God willed it, and therefore, God has willed evil, in this world and in others, yet I would submit that it is not quite in the way you might think. To WILL something, on the level of a conscious, intentional choice - is not quite (or at all) what I mean. Rather, I'm saying that God MADE THE CHOICE (and at least we're in the realm of the possible here, folks) - to descend to such a level ... that the basic duality at hand - that between good & evil, yin & yang, positive & negative - COULD come about. ;)

(continued)

part 2

So this most definitely makes the overall conditions of life within the worlds of form - including SUFFERING (as the Buddha taught) - the WILLING Creation, on one level, of Deity. It means that GOd KNEW what He was doing (I will insist on this point no matter what), and that - yes, sniff sniff, He DID ALLOW this to happen to us. Not that Adam and Eve stood there, and smiled, and everybody was all happy and gay, and then kaboom, the shitstorm started from there. No, that don't cut it.

I mean that this entire world, unpleasant as things may be, has been Created intentionally - though not quite in its present conditions (for Humanity has brought things to the this point, and largely as AGAINST Divine Will, and that's precisely the problem). This does not require us to invoke `original sin' as an escape-doctrine to account for the goof-ups. It means, however, that we MUST THINK. We MUST ask the question, where & how did things get off track - and more importantly, HOW do we get them back ON track? :)

The Good News, as I've found, includes Teachings of many authors and Messengers who are not usually considered by contemporary, or "conventional" Christians. But I've never felt, in my adult life, that Truth is prejudiced, so why should we be, either? ;) And no matter what we study, we're still going to have to do our own thinking, our own theorizing, and our own synthesis ... as we strive to come up with an approach that works.

Remove original sin & a literal creation, and we by no means remove the need for Divine Instructors, Those Who are well enough in tune with God, and with God's Plan, to know HOW to demonstrate to and for us, how WE may, likewise, live with a Purpose, and work together to move forward, while looking out for each other, and remembering that the little self is NOT what's it all about. Christ IS a vital part of this picture, and the willing, voluntary sacrifices that He made, and which many of the Wayshowers or Torchbearers have chosen to make, STILL REAMAIN beautiful, shining examples - at least in my understanding - if we take such an approach.

I will never agree with someone who says that I've somehow lessened the sacrifice that Christ made, or even shifted the focus of the example He provided, just by suggesting that DEATH wasn't & isn't what it's all about, or that blood sacrifice and atonement ... might not really be the true method of Salvation, after all. ;) I mean, I intend no offense when I say, that I just think to dwell upon such points - THAT ... is to miss the point, divert focus from the example Christ gave, and even to lessen the value & meaning of the sacrifices made. I decided long ago, that if anyone has it backwards, it's those who refuse to take Responsibility for themselves, and their own actions.

So Christ is my Saviour, because IF I follow His Teachings, and attempt to live by the example He gave, then I will gradually move - from ignorance to Wisdom. It won't happen overnight, but it is a guarantee. And I have no need, nor any desire, to stand up and say, "I'm saved, I'm saved!" ... or to proclaim that somehow, I am now JUSTIFIED in doing x, y or z. I don't even think I need to talk about how forgiven I am, or how I've become a happy, shiny person as a result of my conversion. Is any of this really beneficial to anyone?

Isn't it a bit more practical, and helpful, to get on with it, and to walk the path of Service to others, and of forgiveness of OTHERS? I see enough evil, every day - if not directly, then hell, I HAVE a television, I CAN watch the news! :p Seriously, though, for some time to come, evil is just a "fact of life" - and what that really means is, we've go to pull together AS NEVER BEFORE, if we want to RESTORE THE PLAN ON EARTH. Not God, not Christ, is going to do for us what we refuse to do for ourselves. God will not counter or will-to-self-destruct ... if we insist on this stupid, sad, futile option. So we must walk the Path, take Responsibility for ourselves, and as best we are able, help the war-mongers and death-dealers to get their fingers OFF the killswitch. And I get depressed sometimes that we can't move from point A to point Z, or at least to P - for Peace - but if we can just get past `I' (which is really Insanity) ... then I'm pretty sure, a bright future will truly open up. Evil WILL - be defeated.

In Love and Light,

andrew (taijasi)

No devil, no hell, not any other than of my own construct that is.

Tis me that has to fight with my own devilish thoughts.

Heaven I can create right now...or if I choose to hell...free will...my choice.

my thoughts.

Hello Taijasi, a long reply!:p
If understood correctly, you say that the problem with original sin or sinful nature is that it allows us to divest ourselves from responsibility.
I might be missing something, but the protestant evangelical mindset where I came from more or less said that forgiveness of sins allowed christians to continually re-establish the connection with God (assuming that we continually sin). This however did not saved us from responsibility as we had to live with the consequences of sin anyway, in other words the hurt that I caused myself or others is still there, you still had to make amends. In fact I think it tended to go too much the other way, too legalistic, too much self bashing.
Sure, there are some evangelical weirdos that blame every single misbehaviour into this or that demon, which is quite convenient because they don't need to self examine themselves and it simplifies the mindboggling complexity of human nature considerably.
In latin America where catholicism is predominant the situation is different, as the average catholic will perhaps seek absolution of sins and carry on "sinning" afterwards, but I dare say that the majority of people in the world no matter what faith they profess, don't quite follow their faith, and is more or less a superstition, or a God vending machine where one deposits prayers or good works and gets in return what one asks, very human, we think we can manipulate God just like we manipulate people.

I've also come across a much healthier version of christianity, I am thinking of grace oriented theology, where sinful nature is still believed, but the emphasis is on God's unconditional love, one does not need to perform works or uphold a virtuous lifestyle to please God, but realising that unconditional love will in turn make you love God and transform your life in tune with God's will, the bottom line is that it makes God more approachable.
The other angle of grace theology is that on the earthly plane you still keep your fallen nature, redemption on the other hand transforms us as holy and perfect in the spiritual plane, and here is where the potential for self-realisation lies, the difference from other religious perspectives is that this inner potential can only be made possible trough Christ's redemption, but I think that is more or less a semantic difference.
The only risk with grace theology is lawlessness when misunderstood, but that I personally think is still better than legalism.

Anyway, just wanted to explain that I don't have much of a problem with the concept of a sinful or fallen nature from a conventional christian point of view. The edge with the story of redemption is that it diverts the attention away from the self, it is very explicit that the key for self-realisation comes without of the self, from God.
This is of course if we assume that the biblical story of redemption is real.
Do you see my point or do you disagree?:rolleyes:

Regarding the ying yang dualism, if we follow the line of thought of the Tao, I cannot see how God created or willed evil without of itself. Otherwise the logical conclusion is that satan the adversarial god does exist and is in equal terms with God.

Alvaro

Caimanson said:
... Sure, there are some evangelical weirdos that blame every single misbehaviour into this or that demon, which is quite convenient because they don't need to self examine themselves and it simplifies the mindboggling complexity of human nature considerably.
In latin America where catholicism is predominant the situation is different, as the average catholic will perhaps seek absolution of sins and carry on "sinning" afterwards, but I dare say that the majority of people in the world no matter what faith they profess, don't quite follow their faith, and is more or less a superstition, or a God vending machine where one deposits prayers or good works and gets in return what one asks, very human, we think we can manipulate God just like we manipulate people....
Namaste Alvaro,

While I agree in much of the essence of your discussion here, can we agree that some of the pointing fingers and namecalling is not required, and maybe counterproductive to discussion?

I think there are many that play games with their faith, following some tenents, looking for and utilizing loopholes, all for temporary gain in my opinion...and maybe lessons will be learned in the process.

We had a little discussion prior on orginal sin over on the Judaic board, might as well go to the source...and it appears this and the devil and hell are metaphors...yikes...don't know how we Christians got so wrapped up in modifying the ideas of the those that gave us the writings...

I like the phrase "We are not punished for our sins, but by them" and the fact that sin is an archer's term indicating missing the mark, missing the bullseye, missing what you were aiming for.

So the forgiveness we need to do is ourself, and the work we need to do is get back out there and try to hit the mark next time. We all slip, on a regular basis, if my own experiences are similar to others.

The blessing is in the realizing, and those others who know you are attempting to stay on the path to give me a gentle nudge, or a knock in the head...whatever seems appropriate at the time.

The devil, the snake, and Adam and Eve, tend to be great places to place blame and avoid responsibility...Hell at an age seemed sufficient to scare folks back on the right track...then of course we could always start back with the lightning bolts and plagues...

Caimanson said:
I've also come across a much healthier version of christianity, I am thinking of grace oriented theology, where sinful nature is still believed, but the emphasis is on God's unconditional love, one does not need to perform works or uphold a virtuous lifestyle to please God, but realising that unconditional love will in turn make you love God and transform your life in tune with God's will, the bottom line is that it makes God more approachable.

The other angle of grace theology is that on the earthly plane you still keep your fallen nature, redemption on the other hand transforms us as holy and perfect in the spiritual plane, and here is where the potential for self-realisation lies, the difference from other religious perspectives is that this inner potential can only be made possible trough Christ's redemption, but I think that is more or less a semantic difference.
The only risk with grace theology is lawlessness when misunderstood, but that I personally think is still better than legalism.

Anyway, just wanted to explain that I don't have much of a problem with the concept of a sinful or fallen nature from a conventional christian point of view. The edge with the story of redemption is that it diverts the attention away from the self, it is very explicit that the key for self-realisation comes without of the self, from God. This is of course if we assume that the biblical story of redemption is real.

Alvaro
Very nice. :)

lunamoth

wil said:
Namaste Alvaro,

While I agree in much of the essence of your discussion here, can we agree that some of the pointing fingers and namecalling is not required, and maybe counterproductive to discussion?

Hello Wil, I think that the name calling that you mention just reflects my own fallen condition, its a tendency to distance myself from what I don't like. But to some extent it also reflects my pessimism about human nature, and that I also see myself as part of that human reality that I personally find so distasteful.
The only cure that I know of is love, I wish it was like a trip to the supermarket.:eek:

Anyway, I will try to find that thread in the jewish section. I am still full of questions...

Alvaro

What do we need a devil for? Why do we insist that there is such a thing as evil? Why talk about a fallen nature? Why not just accept things as they are, learn from our mistakes, move on. And forget about needing anyone's forgiveness--unless, of course, we actually wronged someone. Then it is important to make things right.

originally posted by Taijasi:

Should not a good liberal Christian be open to the Wisdom found within this viewpoint, in the mindset of followers of Eastern religion, and in fact, within all the world's other relgions?

I would definitely think so. I’ve seen bits and pieces of it in mainstream churches.

I think at one point, "liberal" meant to be liberated from out-moded tradition. I think we need to aim at truth regardless of what that truth is or where it is found. The truth about evil is that it does not exist.

Bad things, even truly horrible, things happen and continue to happen. However, we can diagnose a cause via science and reason. Some things cannot be diagnosed for sure but I believe we can rest assured that there is a natural cause and not supernatural.

I consider it very important to know what went wrong and why in order to learn from it and not repeat the mistake. I consider it just as important to know what went right and why. I don't think we need to go beyond making things right and learning from the mistake or unexpected right action.

There is also such a thing as group-think or group-mind, which easily takes over when a group of people get together. This can be for good or bad. It is not necessarily "the devil." Nor is it necessarily "the Spirit." It's just what happens when you get a group of like-minded people together.

Also, when you put intellectual, monetary, and social power into a person's hands, things happen. Sometimes good, sometimes not good. If that person also happens to be "in power" during some kind of natural or social dissaster/upheaval, that person tends to go down in history as either a saint or the devil incarnate. Seldom an in-between.

Absolute good or absolute evil probably never have existed and probably never will. I do not accept the theory of dualism because I see no basis for it in the natural world. Nor in psychology or the other social sciences.

I always understood evil, as our own self-centeredness (is not about being literally evil, but simply when we put ourselves before everybody else). When you hurt somebody you care more about yourself than the other, the same thing when you fail to do what is "right".

This is the orthodox Catholic viewpoint. St Thomas Aquinas, for example, taught that no man wills evil for its own sake, but rather wills 'a lesser good' for his own sake ...

What would be a more philosophical/spiritual explanation of selfishness?

Objectively: Imbalance
Subjectively: a disorder of the volitive faculty

I've also come across a much healthier version of christianity, I am thinking of grace oriented theology, where sinful nature is still believed, but the emphasis is on God's unconditional love...

I rather think that might be called Catholicism ...

one does not need to perform works or uphold a virtuous lifestyle to please God, but realising that unconditional love will in turn make you love God and transform your life in tune with God's will, the bottom line is that it makes God more approachable.

Here we might differ, because you're walking a philosophical tightrope. Would not the realisation of that unconditional love make one want to transform one's life ... to live a life that 'embodies' and actualises that unconditional love?

Or put another way - are you suggesting that 'faith in God' resolves one from the responsibility of their own life? I remember meeting a bright-eyed and joyous young girl from an EST training seminar who delighted in telling me "Isn't God wonderful! We're all shits ... but it doesn't matter!"

When in fact it does, because either she was suggesting that God created us as shits and the like's on us, or that she was absolved of all responsibility for her own actions...

Bluntly "one does not need to perform works or uphold a virtuous lifestyle to please God, but realising that unconditional love will in turn make you love God and transform your life in tune with God's will" reads like "All I have to do is sit on my backside cos God'll turn me into a saint" which I'm sure is not what you meant, but it can be read that way... ?

The saints might make it look easy, but from what I've read, East or West, they had to work at it first.

At base level - Do you want it, and are prepared to work at it, or do you want it, but would much rather someone waved a wand, or said a magic word, and it happened, no problem no effort... (again, I'm not suggesting, i'm only trying to show how it might be misconstrued).

The other angle of grace theology is that on the earthly plane you still keep your fallen nature,
... which is infused with the Holy Spirit ... and restored ... that's what 'grace' is ...

redemption on the other hand transforms us as holy and perfect in the spiritual plane,
Hang on ... what's wrong with the earthly plane? Why can't that be transformed too? Is it too not holy?

I mean, if you're an angel in the spiritual, wouldn't you want to the unfortunate earthly to share in your good fortune?

and here is where the potential for self-realisation lies, the difference from other religious perspectives is that this inner potential can only be made possible through Christ's redemption, but I think that is more or less a semantic difference.
Well, there's a whole arc of discussion here ... 'self-realisation' can only realise the self ... the question then is where the ontology of 'self' leads. 'Self-realisation' might simply mean fulfilling one's natural potential. In Christian terms we are called to transcend that nature ... Christianity (along with Judaism and Islam) has a radically different view of 'the self' to Eastern Traditions.

Yes. Some of the 2nd century gnostic schools fell foul of that, believing that they could actually do no wrong in the world, because they were above it ... a bit like some of the rich/famous/aristocratic who think they are a case apart from the rest of us ...

Anyway, just wanted to explain that I don't have much of a problem with the concept of a sinful or fallen nature from a conventional christian point of view.

You sure you're not Catholic?

The edge with the story of redemption is that it diverts the attention away from the self, it is very explicit that the key for self-realisation comes without of the self, from God.
Reformation Christianity perhaps – the idea of predestination etc., and some of the more out-there 'born again' sects whose philosophy is very ... er ... shaky ... but Catholicism (be it Orthodox, Latin or Anglican) does not, but centers on personal responsibility, accountability and grace – the activity of the Holy Spirit.

(You can't have a doctrine of accountability without a doctrine of the self.)

I would address it differently - the key is that we realise ourselves in God, not in ourselves ... 'in him we live and move and have our being' not 'in us He lives and moves and has His being' ... sometimes we're too full of our own living and moving and being to let anyone else in ... be it God or be it our neighbour ... (there's no room for love).

Otherwise the logical conclusion is that satan the adversarial god does exist and is in equal terms with God.

Which is why theology never opposes God and the Devil – the devil is a fallen angel ...

... now, if you read the Fathers on the angelic order, whom they regard as beings of pure intelligence ... you're moving away from a Hebraic narrative to a Greek philosophical position ...

Are you sure you're not a Catholic ... ?

Thomas

What would be a more philosophical/spiritual explanation of selfishness?

Your thoughts?
What's not to like?

How selfish are you? Say you want for yourself the best education?? What are you going to do with it? In the end you'll benefit everyone you encounter.

Let's say your really selfish and decide to accumulate massive wealth. Well to do that you'll probably have to start a business, or buy one and expand it, either way employ quite a few people and most who accumulate give away thousands time more than everyone else...what's not to like.

How selfish can you be? Want to be alone in the middle of thousand of acres of forest....look what you just preserved for your lifetime...and maybe beyond if you are really selfish and put it into a trust...

Selfishness is a virtue.

Hello Thomas!

Here we might differ, because you're walking a philosophical tightrope. Would not the realisation of that unconditional love make one want to transform one's life ... to live a life that 'embodies' and actualises that unconditional love?

Or put another way - are you suggesting that 'faith in God' resolves one from the responsibility of their own life? I remember meeting a bright-eyed and joyous young girl from an EST training seminar who delighted in telling me "Isn't God wonderful! We're all shits ... but it doesn't matter!"

When in fact it does, because either she was suggesting that God created us as shits and the like's on us, or that she was absolved of all responsibility for her own actions...

What I am saying is that you are what you are, and you have what you have, and realise that God is bigger than your mess, and only if you make God your partner then you have any chance. Instead condemning and forcing yourself to change....

Bluntly "one does not need to perform works or uphold a virtuous lifestyle to please God, but realising that unconditional love will in turn make you love God and transform your life in tune with God's will" reads like "All I have to do is sit on my backside cos God'll turn me into a saint" which I'm sure is not what you meant, but it can be read that way... ?
The saints might make it look easy, but from what I've read, East or West, they had to work at it first.
At base level - Do you want it, and are prepared to work at it, or do you want it, but would much rather someone waved a wand, or said a magic word, and it happened, no problem no effort... (again, I'm not suggesting, i'm only trying to show how it might be misconstrued).

But is it work, or is it passion?
Most protestants believe that all believers are saints, as opposed to the catholic ideal of a saint, which quite frankly I am not interested in, fine if that's what you want, I'd rather be an "normal" person.

redemption on the other hand transforms us as holy and perfect in the spiritual plane,
Hang on ... what's wrong with the earthly plane? Why can't that be transformed too? Is it too not holy?
I mean, if you're an angel in the spiritual, wouldn't you want to the unfortunate earthly to share in your good fortune?
and here is where the potential for self-realisation lies, the difference from other religious perspectives is that this inner potential can only be made possible through Christ's redemption, but I think that is more or less a semantic difference.
Well, there's a whole arc of discussion here ... 'self-realisation' can only realise the self ... the question then is where the ontology of 'self' leads. 'Self-realisation' might simply mean fulfilling one's natural potential. In Christian terms we are called to transcend that nature ... Christianity (along with Judaism and Islam) has a radically different view of 'the self' to Eastern Traditions.

Agree completely, but though it spills to the natural, the earthly is never complete in this life.

Yes. Some of the 2nd century gnostic schools fell foul of that, believing that they could actually do no wrong in the world, because they were above it ... a bit like some of the rich/famous/aristocratic who think they are a case apart from the rest of us ...

Talking from personal experience here: I've tasted enough destructiveness from legalism as opposed to constructiveness from freedom. Someone coming from a different place may argue the opposite and that's fine, but not for me. It is a subjective thing, a balance of polarities is ideal, but we are all different and need different things, and I suspect that this is where you and I differ big time, am I right?

The edge with the story of redemption is that it diverts the attention away from the self, it is very explicit that the key for self-realisation comes without of the self, from God.
Reformation Christianity perhaps – the idea of predestination etc., and some of the more out-there 'born again' sects whose philosophy is very ... er ... shaky ... but Catholicism (be it Orthodox, Latin or Anglican) does not, but centers on personal responsibility, accountability and grace – the activity of the Holy Spirit.
(You can't have a doctrine of accountability without a doctrine of the self.)
I would address it differently - the key is that we realise ourselves in God, not in ourselves ... 'in him we live and move and have our being' not 'in us He lives and moves and has His being' ... sometimes we're too full of our own living and moving and being to let anyone else in ... be it God or be it our neighbour ... (there's no room for love).

I cannot see the difference, I agree with what you say, is it wording? The work of the Holy Spirit.

Otherwise the logical conclusion is that satan the adversarial god does exist and is in equal terms with God.
Which is why theology never opposes God and the Devil – the devil is a fallen angel ...

If he is just a mere angel, why is he such a big deal then?

Are you sure you're not a Catholic ... ?

Hell no Thomas!:eek: :D
Not even sure I am christian, or anything anymore.
The catholic church is such a universe in itself anyway....

What's not to like?

How selfish are you? Say you want for yourself the best education?? What are you going to do with it? In the end you'll benefit everyone you encounter.

Let's say your really selfish and decide to accumulate massive wealth. Well to do that you'll probably have to start a business, or buy one and expand it, either way employ quite a few people and most who accumulate give away thousands time more than everyone else...what's not to like.

How selfish can you be? Want to be alone in the middle of thousand of acres of forest....look what you just preserved for your lifetime...and maybe beyond if you are really selfish and put it into a trust...

Selfishness is a virtue.

Wil, not sure where are you going with this. To me it seems too idealistic and not pure selfishness anyway.
If what you mean is to channel natural selfishness for good purposes, then I sort of agree.
But when I think of the nasty side of human nature, then I shiver and shake.

Hi Caiman:
Hi Caimanson -

What I am saying is that you are what you are, and you have what you have, and realise that God is bigger than your mess, and only if you make God your partner then you have any chance ...

... I cannot see the difference, I agree with what you say, is it wording? The work of the Holy Spirit.

I think the essential difference is that, Grace Theology in the Catholic Tradition calls first that man freely and of his own volition chooses to co-operate with God – it is a partnership (with man very much the junior partner) and both parties go forward honouring the deal: the Covenant – and that once accepted, man remains free and continues of his own volition ... this opens the possibility of error and failure – man's free will is not bypassed, suspended or over-written, as it were.

Thomas

Back