What Happened To Boldness?

JustifiedByFaith

Contending For The Faith
Reaction score
In Acts Chapter 4, we see Peter and John arrested for preaching Jesus. They were told by the Priests, Sadducess and the Captain of the temple to not speak at all or teach in the name of Jesus. They were pressured to be silent, yet they prayed...

"Now, Lord, look on their threats, and grant to your servants that with all boldness they may speak your word..."

Acts 4:29

Question: Do we as Christians speak with boldness and confidence about Jesus and share God's word or are we reserved and more concerned about how people perceive us?

JustifiedByFaith said:
In Acts Chapter 4, we see Peter and John arrested for preaching Jesus. They were told by the Priests, Sadducess and the Captain of the temple to not speak at all or teach in the name of Jesus. They were pressured to be silent, yet they prayed...

"Now, Lord, look on their threats, and grant to your servants that with all boldness they may speak your word..."

Acts 4:29

Question: Do we as Christians speak with boldness and confidence about Jesus and share God's word or are we reserved and more concerned about how people perceive us?

They were respectful of the authority of the time, and leaned not on their own understanding or indignation (anger) but as you state, they never stopped praying. Nor were their prayers for themselves, but for the Good Word to not be extinguished, but to be heard and flourish. They trusted in the Lord when their backs were against the wall.

I'd like to think that Peter learned when to shut his mouth (because he thought something should be said), and waited for his cue from God instead.

Timing is everything in life...;)

v/r

Q

Quahom1 said:
Timing is everything in life...;)
Dear Quahom1,

Yep, and I speaking for myself often need to insert foot in mouth before my brain engages. To wait to process how and what I want to really say...:eek:

JustifiedByFaith said:
Dear Quahom1,

Yep, and I speaking for myself often need to insert foot in mouth before my brain engages. To wait to process how and what I want to really say...:eek:

Ahhh, listen. In today's world there is 1 (professing) Christian for every three people on earth. All they have to do is live their lives as they profess, and answer questions honestly as they are asked. There is a potential Christian light for every two persons that remain in the dark. And they don't have to speak boldly. Their actions are much louder. ;)

v/r

Q

Quahom1 said:
Ahhh, listen. In today's world there is 1 (professing) Christian for every three people on earth. All they have to do is live their lives as they profess, and answer questions honestly as they are asked. There is a potential Christian light for every two persons that remain in the dark. And they don't have to speak boldly. Their actions are much louder. ;)

v/r

Q
Dear Quahom1,

Good point, but faith comes by hearing...the message must be announced.

JustifiedByFaith said:
Dear Quahom1,

True...but faith comes by hearing...the message (gospel) must be announced.

And by one's life style and ways, and treating of others daily...does not one blast with a trumpet the announcement of the message? Is it words, or deeds that a hungry man remembers? Is it words or deeds that a desperate man clings to?

When a homeless man tended to by strangers, and asked about a certain person or that person says matter of factly "them? they're good news", then one has begun spreading the "Gospel" to those who need to hear it.

Can't teach a man how to fish by telling him, but by showing him. Therein lies your boldness for God, by living an example, despite what the world says. "As for me and mine, we will follow the Lord"...that is very BOLD in today's world. It gets attention and curiosity of others. Sometimes it is hard. That is when others watch closely. Remember my friend, the speed of light is 100,000.00 (and change) times faster than the speed of sound...What people SEE, reaches them much quicker than what they hear.

v/r

Q

p.s. one of these days I will teach my fingers to spell what I want, not what I type...;-(

JustifiedByFaith said:

It's a good point. I tend to go in gently at first, testing the waters so to speak. If a person seems receptive, you can share more. If you can sense they are reluctant to go further, then it is wiser to back off, and wait for another time.

Where we sometimes do need more boldness, I think, is in imposing Christian standards in our own space: eg, I politely ask a person not to use the Lord's name in vain when he/she is in my house, car, office.

I also think that as Christians we can speak out about how we believe society should or should not function. Censorship is a contentious issue, as are many others. Boldness to articulate your beliefs is a virtue, I say.

kenod said:
It's a good point. I tend to go in gently at first, testing the waters so to speak. If a person seems receptive, you can share more. If you can sense they are reluctant to go further, then it is wiser to back off, and wait for another time...

...I also think that as Christians we can speak out about how we believe society should or should not function. Censorship is a contentious issue, as are many others. Boldness to articulate your beliefs is a virtue, I say.

It is also irrelevent if the speaker has no credibility with the one being spoken to. Talk is cheap. Actions (personal actions day to day) are priceless.

v/r

Q

I seem to recall a passage with Mary Magdalene where Jesus effectively tells Peter to STFU. Or, as in the common translation, "Get behind thee Satan".

The impression given that there's a time and circumstance where talk matters, and other times where the self-belief of the talker is just plain annoying to Jesus.

2c.

I said:
I seem to recall a passage with Mary Magdalene where Jesus effectively tells Peter to STFU. Or, as in the common translation, "Get behind thee Satan".

The impression given that there's a time and circumstance where talk matters, and other times where the self-belief of the talker is just plain annoying to Jesus.

2c.

(chuckle) :) yeah, we can get in the way of the message...

Quahom1 said:
It is also irrelevent if the speaker has no credibility with the one being spoken to. Talk is cheap. Actions (personal actions day to day) are priceless.
v/r
Q

Yes, indeed, a most important point.

Are there any ways in which a Christian is different to a "good person" ... in the sense of "personal actions day to day"?

kenod said:
Yes, indeed, a most important point.

Are there any ways in which a Christian is different to a "good person" ... in the sense of "personal actions day to day"?

I suppose the only difference is personal in itself. Everything a Christian does, is supposed to be for the glory of God, instead of own personal merit.

Could be a person who is Christian is naturally disposed to being "nice", wherein another person who is Christian struggles to be "nice". Then the commonality of the two is that they both do what they do for the glory of God. The same could be said for taking a stand on issues. The naturally "nice" person may have difficulties being assertive, while the one who struggles to be "nice" may have no trouble being assertive, so again the commonality is they act conscienciously for the glory of God.

In this commonality they both are balanced by God and balance eachother out (which shows the wisdom of God in His creation of man).

my thoughts

v/r

Q

JustifiedByFaith said:
We definately should speak with boldness and confidence and just be ready for the backlash we will recieve in the politically correct world we live in.

Our actions should speak volumes also but not to the point our mouth stays shut or waits on questions that may not come in time.

Also when we start to feel persecuted cause the names people call us, we need to remember that more Christians have been killed in the 20th century then the first 19 put together.

I like the story in Acts chapter 3 about the lame man who daily laid at the temple gate asking for $ from everyone who came in. People probably felt good (charitable) giving him money. Peter and John knew that $ wasn't what he needed but Jesus. The healing power and love of Jesus was what this man really needed. There is a balance between non-vocal and vocal sharing of Jesus. We know that good deeds to others doesn't save them but the hearing of the gospel and believing the message is how faith comes. Faith comes by hearing. Good deeds and actions should always follow but things don't grow unless seeds are planted.

Dor said:
Our actions should speak volumes also but not to the point our mouth stays shut or waits on questions that may not come in time.
Dear Dor,

Thank you. This is also my concern Dor. I think we as Christians do anything possible in words and deeds to avoid sharing that Jesus is the only way.:rolleyes:
We MUST in a kind and gentle fashion in our witnessing remember that Jesus can come back at any day. Jesus didn't say "behave" the gospel throughout all the world but "preach" the gospel throughout all the world. Let's let our "Actions" follow behind our "Words".

Hi, Peace to All Here--

When we examine the earthly life of Jesus Christ, we find there were times when He spoke out boldly and times when He remained silent. There were times when He vocally promoted peace and times when He displayed righteous anger.

I find it revealing that Paul, when he could have gone to the Romans and talked about how Diana was dirty, he instead noticed the altar to The Unknown God, and proceeded to introduce Him.:)

To everything there is a season....

InPeace,
InLove

Dor said:
We definately should speak with boldness and confidence and just be ready for the backlash we will recieve in the politically correct world we live in.

On who's time? Man's or God's? Also, not everyone is a preacher by nature. In fact there are very few who can preach to or address the masses.

To "share" the Good News, only works when the listener wants to hear it. Even Jesus was specific in His instructions to His Apostles. He said if the people of a town want to hear the Good News, then stay and share it with them. If they do not welcome the Good News, then leave and shake the dust of the town from your scandals as you leave.

The persecution you speak of is not due to preaching, but rather to the way one lives. The Romans didn't persecute Christians becase of what they said, but because of what they wouldn't do. They were considered secretive, aloof, and flaunting their righteousness in the face of the rest of society. So when things went bad, the leaders had to focus the peoples' attention on other than themselves, so they used Christians as a scape goat. Only it backfired then, as it backfires today.

It is estimated that during Nero's reign, for every one Christian killed, 100 Romans converted. Not by the Christians' words, but by their deeds and refusal to give up Jesus as their savior. Then, like today, people are desperate for that peace and assuredness that Christians have. They might mask it in anger, or contempt, but we know that the outward appearance hides the fear and insecurity inside.

No, one does not have to be a "Billy Graham" to win hearts to Christ.

my thoughts

v/r

Q

It's easier to catch flies with honey than with vinegar.

JustifiedByFaith said:
Dear Dor,

Thank you. This is also my concern Dor. I think we as Christians do anything possible in words and deeds to avoid sharing that Jesus is the only way.:rolleyes:
We MUST in a kind and gentle fashion in our witnessing remember that Jesus can come back at any day. Jesus didn't say "behave" the gospel throughout all the world but "preach" the gospel throughout all the world. Let's let our "Actions" follow behind our "Words".

I submit that actions must preceed our words, or the majority of ears will turn deaf.

Quahom1 said:
I submit that actions must preceed our words, or the majority of ears will turn deaf.
Dear Quahom1,

Can we conclude together the importance of balance between actions and words? Can we also conclude together by the verse in Acts that regarding this "Boldness" that the Apostles desired, it was for them to "speak" in boldness? I feel that to be "Bold" in action without words or "Bold" in words without action would be hypocritical wouldn't it? Also, many people will not know us by actions or have the opportunity to see our actions. Therefore, first impressions may only be "words". The message Jesus shared about the Sower and the Seeds in Matthew 13 involved "words". He concluded the Parable saying, "He who has ears to hear, let him hear...

Back