Bible Contradictions

Marietta

Reaction score
It is my understanding that the bible has been manipulated and mistranslated on purpose to keep mankind under bondage so that the Fallen Angels can take control of us. It is also my understanding that we are living in the time of the Apostacy and that these are the end times. The church at this point is apostate. Jesus said that his flock is the small flock. Wide is the road that leads to distructin and many will be found upon it but narrow is the way that leads to salvation and few will be found upon it. Christianity is the largest organized religion in the world.

CONTRADICTIONS IN THE BIBLE

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Luke 24:39 - Behold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself: HANDLE ME, and see; for a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have.
John 20:17 - Jesus saith unto her, TOUCH ME NOT; for I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God (all quotes from the KJV).
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Matthew 27:5: So Judas threw the money into the temple and left. Then he went away and hanged himself.
Acts 1:18: With the reward he got for his wickedness, Judas bought a field; there he fell headlong, his body burst open and all his intestines spilled out.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2Samuel 24:1: Again the anger of the Lord burned against Israel, and he incited David against them, saying, "Go and take a census of Israel and Judah.
1Chronicles 21:1: Satan rose up against Israel and incited David to take a census of Israel.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Exodus 21:12: Anyone who strikes a man and kills him shall surely be put to death.
Matthew 5:39: & Romans 12:17: Do not repay any one evil for evil.
Luke 23:46: Jesus called out with a loud voice, "Father, into your hands I commit my spirit." When he said this, he breathed his last.
John 19:30: When he received the drink, Jesus said, "It is finished." With that, he bowed his head and gave up his spirit.
1 Corinthians 2:15 The spiritual man makes judgments about all things, ...
1 Corinthians 4:5 Therefore judge nothing...
1 Kings 9-23: They were also the chief officials in charge of Solomon's projects -- 550 officials supervising the men who did the work.
2 Chronicles 8:10 They were also King Solomon's chief officials -- 250 officials supervising the men.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A bat is not a bird. Note that this isn't just an arbitrary classification that the Western and European world has created. A bat is a bird as much as a Cocker Spaniel is a cat.
These are the birds you are to detest and not eat because they are detestable: the eagle, ... any kind of heron, the hoopoe and the bat (Leviticus 11:13-19)
You may eat any clean bird. But these you may not eat: the eagle, ... any kind of heron, the hoopoe and the bat. (Deuteronomy 14:11-17)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Insects, as part of their definition, have six legs. (Spiders are arachnids, not insects.)
All flying insects that walk on all fours are to be detestable to you. There are, however, some winged creatures that walk on all fours that you may eat: ... Of these you may eat any kind of locust, katydid, cricket, or grasshopper. (Leviticus 11:20-22)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Snakes don't eat dirt.
So the Lord God said to the serpent, "Because you have done this, ... You will crawl on your belly and you will eat dust..." (Genesis 3:14)
Camels have split hooves.
There are some that only chew the cud or only have a split hoof, but you must not eat them. The camel, though it chews the cud, does not have a split hoof; it is ceremonially unclean for you. (Leviticus 11:4)
However, of those that chew the cud or that have a split hoof completely divided you may not eat the camel, the rabbit or the coney. [1] Although they chew the cud, they do not have a split hoof; they are ceremonially unclean for you. (Deuteronomy 14:7)
----------------------------------------------------------------
The earth is not flat, as once thought. It has no corners at all, and "ends of the earth" is not typically interpreted as from outer space. (Besides, what would be the ends? Why should the magnetic poles be "ends" as opposed to the axis of rotation?)
... he will assemble the scattered people of Judah from the four quarters of the earth. (Isaiah 11:12)
After this I saw four angels standing at the four corners of the earth, ... (Revelation 7:1)
Oh Lord, ... to you the nations will come from the ends of the earth... (Jeremiah 16:19)
... and there before me stood a tree in the middle of the land. Its height was enormous. The tree grew large and strong and its top touched the sky; it was visible to the ends of the earth. (Daniel 4:10-11)
------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Genesis 22:2: Then, God, said, Take your son, your only son, Isaac, whom you love and go to the region of Moriah.
Genesis 16:15: So Hagar bore Abram a son and Abram gave the name Ishmael to the son she had borne.
Genesis 21:2: Sarah became pregnant and bore a son to Abraham in his old age, at the very time God had promised him. Abraham gave the name Isaac to the son Sara bore him.

We are told that Isaac is Abraham's only son but he also had Ishmael.
Genesis 22:2: Then God said take your son, your only son, Isaac whom you love and go to the region of Moriah, Sacrifice him there as a burnt offering.
Exodus 20:24: Make an altar of earth for me and sacrifice on it your burnt offerings and fellowship offerings, your sheep and goats and your cattle. Where ever I cause my name to be honored.
Isaiah 1:10-12: What are your endless sacrifices to me? Says The Lord. I am sick of burnt offerings of rams and the fat of calves. I take no pleasure in the blood of bulls and lambs and goats.

The Lord ordained sacrifice and then said that he takes no pleasure in sacrifice, makes not sense.
Mark 2:25--26:And he said to them: "Have you never read what David did, when he was in need and was hungry, he and those who were with him; how he entered the House of God, when Abiathar was high priest,..."

Ahimelech was high priest at that time. Only after his death (I Samuel22:18) did his son, Abiathar, succeed him:

I Samuel 30:7: And David said to Abiathar the priest, the son of Ahimelech….
Genesis 46:27: And the sons of Joseph, who were born to him in Egypt, were two souls; All the souls of the house of Jacob that came into Egypt were seventy.

Acts 7:14: And Joseph sent and called to him Jacob his father and his kindred;
seventy--five souls.

Love and Light, Midge

We've got who knows how many authors over centuries who created the books. And then those that compiled the stories into the various chapters. And then those that edited each book...and then out of the hundreds of books available, many of which are cross referenced and cross pollenated as it were...we have group of people that decide to put 66 books together and call them holy.

It is amazing there aren't more contradictions, and they didn't have spellcheck, cut and paste, find and replace tools that we have today to sort through thier work.

To me it is the stories that contain the power and the value, troubling ourselves over every nuance....nah...I'd rather work on growth than tearing apart everything. I enjoy the contradictions, and the various takes from the varioius authors...

Hello I, Brian, May I ask why you moved this thread to the comparative board? This is strictly a Christian, Judaic topic about their Holy scriptures.
Just curious.

Midge

I've grown....I deleted my response before I sent it! While I don't think my response would have been inappropriate, especially in this thread....I do feel others might think so, and enough of others whom I respect that I deleted it.

Of course my ego is still not in check otherwise I would have not typed this...or at least deleted it prior to the post...

bottom line M...you gotta read the rules.

Hi Wil, I don't know what rules you are speaking of, so could you please direct me to the rules so I can read them.
Thank You.
Love and Light, Midge

Kindest Regards, Marietta, and welcome to CR!
Marietta said:
It is my understanding that the bible has been manipulated and mistranslated on purpose to keep mankind under bondage so that the Fallen Angels can take control of us.
I suppose you are welcome to believe as you wish. I would question how well your beliefs serve you in dealing with the rest of humanity. You know, the old "do unto others" thing. I would think that someone who is promoting that the Bible is manipulated in order to keep people in service to the devil is out to control people themselves, binding them with an undeserved fear.

Is it possible, just possible, that some of these "contradictions" are just figures of speech? Not meant to be taken "literally," yet understood well within their own cultural context?

Time for me to fly! Bye bye!

Hi Marietta!

You might find this weird, but I would be a whole lot more skeptical of the Bible if it didn't contain contradictions. The Bible really isn't a coherent propaganda, it's much, much more than that.

Welcome to CR. The rules are a little odd, but what they're trying to do is provide a safe place for people who can't handle criticism to fellowship.

Chris

Hello juantoo3,
Thank you for the warm welcome.
I'm not sure what you are asking as to how my beliefs serve me in dealing with the rest of humanity? Please clarify this for me.

I truly believe in the saying "live and let live." I live my life as I see fit and allow others to do the same. I don't try to impose my thoughts upon others, however when asked I do share my personal understanding on any given subject. I am 57 years old and over the years I have gathered quite an array of understandings on different topics. Over the years I have had to let go of old thought patterns to allow the old out molded thoughts to be replaced with newer more realistic ones.
"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you" is the rule around our house. My grand kids know it by heart and they are still relatively young. I try to apply this across the board in my life. I have also incorporated the saying "Love your neighbor as yourself" into my life as well because I believe that we are all connected on a much higher level of existence and by causing harm to another will inadvertently brings harm to myself in one way or another (because on a much higher lever my neighbor is myself).
Just the opposite, I do not wish to control anybody however I do wish to take control of my own life and thought processes. There is no fear in true knowledge. Fear is the unknown factor and once you face it and become familiar with it you over come it.

Why would a figure of speech contradict itself, when the story is supposed to be the same?
How can a contradiction which has to do with the number of something be cultural?

Have a good flight and hope to hear from you again.

Love and Light, Midge

Hello Chris,
Thanks for your input. I don't think I have broken any of the rules, have I?

Love and Light, Marietta

Marietta said:
Hello Chris,
Thanks for your input. I don't think I have broken any of the rules, have I?

Love and Light, Marietta

Who knows? We live at the whim of the administrators.

One of the interesting things, to me anyway, is that the Bible preserves a sort of debate between a number of factions over what the nature of God is. The Jahwists, the Deuteronomists, the Ecclesiastes...all with a different view. The authors of the Gospels disagree amongst themselves and with Paul. It's like a conversation over several hunderd years about what God is and wants, what the role of the Jews and their enemies is, and what the overall plan might be. You have competing mythologies and a plethora of different points of view.

Anyway, welcome again.

Chris

Hey Marietta: Could you expand on this:
It is my understanding that the bible has been manipulated and mistranslated on purpose to keep mankind under bondage so that the Fallen Angels can take control of us.

Chris

My wife is always contradicting herself. She told me she didn't want the car, so I loaned it to a friend, and then she said "I meant I didn't want the car other than for my usual Tuesday morning appointment which you know all about".
Now I ask you, really, she didn't say exactly that when I asked her so how was I to know, eh?

What's that you say ... Oh, I was supposed to put it all together and work it out intelligently ... ok, I guess you're right!

kenod said:
My wife is always contradicting herself. She told me she didn't want the car, so I loaned it to a friend, and then she said "I meant I didn't want the car other than for my usual Tuesday morning appointment which you know all about".
Now I ask you, really, she didn't say exactly that when I asked her so how was I to know, eh?

What's that you say ... Oh, I was supposed to put it all together and work it out intelligently ... ok, I guess you're right!

That's funny! I had to put my face a frickin' inch from the screen to read it, but it's funny.

Chris

I don't want to get exhaustive on this subject. There are books out there that address these apparant contradictions. But I will comment on somke of them just to give you some fodder to think about when approaching the Bible. First, one needs to be aware of the principles of hermenetics, that is, biblical interpretation. There are books that deal with this also, but suffice to say that the Bible is not the easiest book to understand, yet the overall message is simple: God's redemption of Man. But being it was written in Hebrew, Greek, and Aramaic, within ancient cultural settings and in various literary forms, one needs to take everything in the context of what a particular text of a book was about, who wrote it, it's intended audience, etc. into account.

CONTRADICTIONS IN THE BIBLE

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Luke 24:39 - Behold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself: HANDLE ME, and see; for a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have.
John 20:17 - Jesus saith unto her, TOUCH ME NOT; for I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God (all quotes from the KJV).

These are two different appearances of Jesus after the resurrection. The John passage has Jesus just after He was raised and appearing to Mary. His tells Mary not to touch Him because at that moment having just resurrected, He is taking the spiritual role of High Priest (see Hebrews 7:26-28, Hebrews 9:23-28) in presenting Himself as the Lamb of God who taketh away the sins of the world. In the OT, the high priest had to be prepared and go through rituals of washings and cleanings that would sanctify him before he entered the Holy of Holies. And if everything wasn't performed perfectly, the trip into the Holy of Holies would kill him.

In the Luke passage, occurring sometime later from His appearance to Mary, Jesus has already entered the Holy of Holies as that one time sacrifice for sins, so now He is appears to the disciples for final instructions before He ascends into heaven and able to be handled, having already fulfilled His task as the High Priest.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------2Samuel 24:1: Again the anger of the Lord burned against Israel, and he incited David against them, saying, "Go and take a census of Israel and Judah.
1Chronicles 21:1: Satan rose up against Israel and incited David to take a census of Israel.

God simply allowed Satan to incite David. Satan is an adversary to test us. If you read the first few chapters of Job, one can see how God is still in control of the situation, even though He allows Satan to trouble Job.
Exodus 21:12: Anyone who strikes a man and kills him shall surely be put to death.
Matthew 5:39: & Romans 12:17: Do not repay any one evil for evil.

Exodus 21 is dealing with the cultural aspects of the Mosiac Law. These are judicial laws intended to enforce justice to those who disobey the Moral Law of the Ten Commandments, specifically in this case, "Thou shall not murder". For Israel to survive as a nation, these laws needed to be enforced to maintain order, much like the laws of any country.

For proper context of Matthew 5:39, one must back up to Matthew 5:21 and following, where Jesus quotes "thou shall not murder" and explains that murder is born out of an attitude of the heart, that even thinking about murdering someone or causing harm to someone has the same spiritual significance as the actual act. Vs 38 deals with revenge "an eye for an eye", which uner the Mosaic Law is a just form of vengance in the community of Israel. But for the individual, Jesus here is speaking about harboring bitterness in the heart and that we must be willing to let go that bitterness. Romans 12:17-21 fits perfectly with this idea, for it gives place for God to have vengence rather than taking matters into our own hands. that we ought not to rage war with others by fighting evil with evil, but rather fight evil with good. This is what is called mercy.

1 Corinthians 2:15 The spiritual man makes judgments about all things, ...
1 Corinthians 4:5 Therefore judge nothing...

Again, one must view these verses in context with the rest of the passage. Th I Cor 2:15 verse is talking about the differences between the spiritual man and the natrual man. That is, the difference between one who is led by the Spirit, and one who is led by his own fleshly wisdom. Look at the previous verses 11-14, "For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God.Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God. Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual. But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned."

So here the judgment is really discernment between what is natural and what is spiritual, and not any judgment to another person.

I Corinthians 4:5 is all about judging the person, which we are encouraged not to do.

A bat is not a bird. Note that this isn't just an arbitrary classification that the Western and European world has created. A bat is a bird as much as a Cocker Spaniel is a cat.
These are the birds you are to detest and not eat because they are detestable: the eagle, ... any kind of heron, the hoopoe and the bat (Leviticus 11:13-19)
You may eat any clean bird. But these you may not eat: the eagle, ... any kind of heron, the hoopoe and the bat. (Deuteronomy 14:11-17)

The word in the Hebrew for bird used here is actually "`owph " which can mean "flying creatures, fowl, insects, birds" according to Strong's Concordance. There is another Hebrew word for bird that is "tsippowr" which means "bird, fowl" used exclusively for birds.

Insects, as part of their definition, have six legs. (Spiders are arachnids, not insects.)
All flying insects that walk on all fours are to be detestable to you. There are, however, some winged creatures that walk on all fours that you may eat: ... Of these you may eat any kind of locust, katydid, cricket, or grasshopper. (Leviticus 11:20-22)

I see the term "walk on all fours" as a euphemnism for those creatures an insects that crawl on at least four legs. But really, all those that are mentioned in verse 22, locust, kadydid, cricket, and grasshopper, are exceptions to the rule when it comes to eating insects. This law wasn't intended to be a discourse in entomology.
Snakes don't eat dirt.
So the Lord God said to the serpent, "Because you have done this, ... You will crawl on your belly and you will eat dust..." (Genesis 3:14)

I think this was another euphemism stating that the serpent would be cursed to be degraded. Eating dust conveys the sense of being lowered in status, not actually consumption of dirt, which I don't think any animals eat. It is figurative language.
There are some that only chew the cud or only have a split hoof, but you must not eat them. The camel, though it chews the cud, does not have a split hoof; it is ceremonially unclean for you. (Leviticus 11:4)
However, of those that chew the cud or that have a split hoof completely divided you may not eat the camel, the rabbit or the coney. [1] Although they chew the cud, they do not have a split hoof; they are ceremonially unclean for you. (Deuteronomy 14:7)

This is just an exception to the rule clearly stated. Much of the restriction on eating of certain animals amounted to dietary health. Pigs, for example, were very unhealthy to eat, from a medical viewpoint. Camels, though having a split hoof, were apparently deemed safe enough to eat.

To be continued...

----------------------------------------------------------------
The earth is not flat, as once thought. It has no corners at all, and "ends of the earth" is not typically interpreted as from outer space. (Besides, what would be the ends? Why should the magnetic poles be "ends" as opposed to the axis of rotation?)
... he will assemble the scattered people of Judah from the four quarters of the earth. (Isaiah 11:12)
After this I saw four angels standing at the four corners of the earth, ... (Revelation 7:1)
Oh Lord, ... to you the nations will come from the ends of the earth... (Jeremiah 16:19)
... and there before me stood a tree in the middle of the land. Its height was enormous. The tree grew large and strong and its top touched the sky; it was visible to the ends of the earth. (Daniel 4:10-11)

The Bible isn't a science book. Much of the language used in describing the earth is with a human perspective. Even today, we say that the sun rises and sets, when in reality, it is the rotation of the earth that gives the sun the appearance of rising and setting, yet we don't think twice about it.

------------------------------------------------------------------
Genesis 22:2: Then, God, said, Take your son, your only son, Isaac, whom you love and go to the region of Moriah.
Genesis 16:15: So Hagar bore Abram a son and Abram gave the name Ishmael to the son she had borne.
Genesis 21:2: Sarah became pregnant and bore a son to Abraham in his old age, at the very time God had promised him. Abraham gave the name Isaac to the son Sara bore him.

We are told that Isaac is Abraham's only son but he also had Ishmael.

Because Ishmael was illegitimate. When God promised a son to Abraham, He intended to keep that promise. But in the long wait for a son, Sarah, Abraham's wife, became impatient, for she was approaching old age. Rather than wait for God to act, Sarah took it upon herself to speed up the process by offering her maidservant Hagar to Abraham to bear him a child. That went completely against God's plan of a promised child through Sarah. In the end, Hagar and Ishmael were banished, and God finally opened the womb of Sarah for her to have that promised child. In this regard, Isaac was the only true son of Abraham.

Genesis 22:2: Then God said take your son, your only son, Isaac whom you love and go to the region of Moriah, Sacrifice him there as a burnt offering.
Exodus 20:24: Make an altar of earth for me and sacrifice on it your burnt offerings and fellowship offerings, your sheep and goats and your cattle. Where ever I cause my name to be honored.
Isaiah 1:10-12: What are your endless sacrifices to me? Says The Lord. I am sick of burnt offerings of rams and the fat of calves. I take no pleasure in the blood of bulls and lambs and goats.

The Lord ordained sacrifice and then said that he takes no pleasure in sacrifice, makes not sense.

In the first place, Isaac was not sacrificed after all. Abraham was stopped before he did it. A substitute ram was offered instead. It is a picture of what God would do in offering His Son in Christ centuries later.

In the second place, one must understand that the Mosiac sacrifices were intended to appease God for the sins of Israel. God's lament is that He was tired of the fact that Israel needed to continually sacrifice animals for their sins. God would rather have Israel obey, as I Samuel 15:22 states: "...Behold, to obey is better than sacrifice, and to hearken than the fat of rams."
Many of the other contradictions concerning numbers and dates and names can be chalked up to scribal errors. I personally have no problem with the fact that copyists were human and these kind of scribal errors would show up. but I also recognize that despite these errors, the scribests were meticulous in the transmission of the text, as evident in comparing biblical texts of the Dead Sea Scrolls (circa 100-200 B.C) with the next earliest existing texts (circa 900 A.D), and finding how remarkably accurate they are to one another.

I've tried to show how one can explain some of these contradictions by explaining how a little research and taking the text in the proper context can clear up some of these descrepancies. For your further investigation, check out these resources for starters:

http://www.bringyou.to/apologetics/bible.htm

http://www.bible.ca/islam/islam-bible-contradictions-refuted.htm

Kenod, Are you saying that because your wife is always contradicting herself, that God contradictss him/herself? God is not a God of confusion and is not double minded. God/Source has the ability to speak in plain and simple terms in a straight forward fashion so as not to be contridictory.
Why would God set out to confuse us?
Midge

By the way, there are no contradictions in the original language.
Midge

Hello Dondi, Thanks for the reply. I know it was time consuming and I truly appreciate it.
In this post I will take on your explanation of all the contradictions. I will post a separate post on Hermeneutics.

My reply:
The two texts are supposed to be about the same thing. You are taking a whole lot of text about totally different subjects and applied it to Jesus after the resurrection, that simply do not fit. It is made clear that the reason he asks Mary not to touch him is because he has not yet ascended to his father. This has nothing at all to do with temple ritual. In the other verse we are told that when Jesus comes again we will be able to touch, feel and understand.
The job of the Temple Priest was to guard the Ark/Arc of the Covenant which held the rod and the staff, which are radio active portal opening tools. The High Priest who watched over these object was also radio active and could not be touched. This is also why the Big Gold box could not be touched and was carried with wood poles. Jesus was not in the temple when he made this statement and he explained that the reason he could not be touched was because he had not ascended to his father yet. Although if he had gone to the temple to access the rod and the staff to open the portal into the higher dimensions he may very well have been radio active and this may have been the reason he asked them not to touch him. However this does not take the contradictory verse away.

You wrote:
>>>These are two different appearances of Jesus after the resurrection. The John passage has Jesus just after He was raised and appearing to Mary. His tells Mary not to touch Him because at that moment having just resurrected, He is taking the spiritual role of High Priest (see Hebrews 7:26-28, Hebrews 9:23-28) in presenting Himself as the Lamb of God who taketh away the sins of the world. In the OT, the high priest had to be prepared and go through rituals of washings and cleanings that would sanctify him before he entered the Holy of Holies. And if everything wasn't performed perfectly, the trip into the Holy of Holies would kill him.
In the Luke passage, occurring sometime later from His appearance to Mary, Jesus has already entered the Holy of Holies as that one time sacrifice for sins, so now He is appears to the disciples for final instructions before He ascends into heaven and able to be handled, having already fulfilled His task as the High Priest.<<<

My reply:

This is not what the scripture says. This is mans interpretation used to made two contradictory text fit.

You wrote:
>>>>God simply allowed Satan to incite David. Satan is an adversary to test us. If you read the first few chapters of Job, one can see how God is still in control of the situation, even though He allows Satan to trouble Job.<<<

My reply:
I don't understand how you think the Matthew 5:21 verse makes killing in any form ok. In Matthew 5:21 Jesus is explaining that killing starts in the heart and does not say that physical killing is ok but doing it in the heart is not. He says that everything starts in the heart with thoughts and that if we can master our thoughts we will not kill. I'm not sure how all this even touches on taking away the contradiction?
The Laws were the Universal laws of Physics, which tells us that all that exists is energy/consciousness and it is our thoughts that create. Therefore if we master our thoughts we will not kill, intentionally or inadvertently. The cultural aspects of the Law were those made by man not given by god.

You wrote:
>>>>Exodus 21 is dealing with the cultural aspects of the Mosiac Law. These are judicial laws intended to enforce justice to those who disobey the Moral Law of the Ten Commandments, specifically in this case, "Thou shall not murder". For Israel to survive as a nation, these laws needed to be enforced to maintain order, much like the laws of any country.
For proper context of Matthew 5:39, one must back up to Matthew 5:21 and following, where Jesus quotes "thou shall not murder" and explains that murder is born out of an attitude of the heart, that even thinking about murdering someone or causing harm to someone has the same spiritual significance as the actual act. Vs 38 deals with revenge "an eye for an eye", which uner the Mosaic Law is a just form of vengance in the community of Israel. But for the individual, Jesus here is speaking about harboring bitterness in the heart and that we must be willing to let go that bitterness. Romans 12:17-21 fits perfectly with this idea, for it gives place for God to have vengence rather than taking matters into our own hands. that we ought not to rage war with others by fighting evil with evil, but rather fight evil with good. This is what is called mercy.<<<

My reply:
The first part of this scripture 14: states that the natural man (a person not interested in spiritual things) does not receive or understand spiritual things because he thinks they are foolish, and therefore he can't understand them. The second part 15: states that the spiritual man is to JUDGE all things, without being judged himself.
The next verse says that the person who seeks spiritual things judges everything and doesn't take it at face value. This person doesn't believe something just because they are told it is so, they dig deep and find the truth.
The next verse says NOT TO JUDGE ANYTHING until Jesus comes again and give enlightenment to the spiritual man seeking divine truth.

The first verse says to judge everything and the next says not to judge anything. This is a contradiction in terms.

You wrote:
>>>Again, one must view these verses in context with the rest of the passage. Th I Cor 2:15 verse is talking about the differences between the spiritual man and the natrual man. That is, the difference between one who is led by the Spirit, and one who is led by his own fleshly wisdom. Look at the previous verses 11-14, "For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God.Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God. Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual. But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned."
So here the judgment is really discernment between what is natural and what is spiritual, and not any judgment to another person.
I Corinthians 4:5 is all about judging the person, which we are encouraged not to do.>>>

My reply:
[SIZE=+0]You yourself have proven my point. You had to go back to the Hebrew to find the true meaning. This text has been mistranslated but more than just the word translated as bat. If you take every one of these text and go back to the original language and do away with all the Hermeneutics you will find the truth without these misunderstandings and mistakes.[/SIZE]

You wrote:

The word in the Hebrew for bird used here is actually "`owph " which can mean "flying creatures, fowl, insects, birds" according to Strong's Concordance. There is another Hebrew word for bird that is "tsippowr" which means "bird, fowl" used exclusively for birds.

My reply:
The statement you are making infers that God does not know how to give us an accurate statement and is a god of confusion. God created the insect and knows how many legs it has and how many it walks on and does not make mistakes. Walking on all fours refers to animals that walk on four legs not animals that walk on six. The euphemism for a six legged insect would be "walk on all sixes."

You wrote:
I see the term "walk on all fours" as a euphemnism for those creatures an insects that crawl on at least four legs. But really, all those that are mentioned in verse 22, locust, kadydid, cricket, and grasshopper, are exceptions to the rule when it comes to eating insects. This law wasn't intended to be a discourse in entomology.

My reply:
What do you mean this is the exception to the rule? It states that the camel has split hoofs and they don't.

You wrote:
>>>Camels have split hooves.
However, of those that chew the cud or that have a split hoof completely divided you may not eat the camel, the rabbit or the coney. [1] Although they chew the cud, they do not have a split hoof; they are ceremonially unclean for you. (Deuteronomy 14:7) <<<
This is just an exception to the rule clearly stated. Much of the restriction on eating of certain animals amounted to dietary health. Pigs, for example, were very unhealthy to eat, from a medical viewpoint. Camels, though having a split hoof, were apparently deemed safe enough to eat.<<

Again Thank you.

Love and Light, Midge

Back