Heroes?

Chronicles

Reaction score
I feel a bit odd in that I've never really had any particular heroes that I've looked up to. I just sort of get on with life as myself.

Do people here tend to have "heroes" of some form or other (these can be religious as well as secular, of course)?

Namaste brian,

thank you for the topic.

interesting thing heros... in America, for instance, after the 9/11 attacks, firefighters and police were honored in many locations as heros.

generally speaking, i think the term "hero" has become diluted through misapplied usage, like the word "love". we see this all the time with statements such as "i love blue jeans" or other tripe.

in any case, there are several individuals that i look to as examples of how to conduct themselves and are good role models for a young person to emulate.

one that may or may not be known to most readers is Cal Ripken, Jr. he's a baseball player, or rather was. he was a special player in that he set the consecutive games played record, playing through injuries and other things. whilst that is admirable about him, the thing that places him into my "role model" category is the manner in which he conducted himself off the field. he was and is a gentleman and is a very compassionte individual whom was humble about his fame and success.

another person that strongly figures into my "role model" category is His Holiness the Dalai Lama... i think for obvious reasons, but one that may not be so obvious is his strength of character to cross the Himilayan range into India and evading the Chinese during the occupation.

another person that strongly figures into my "role model" category is Stephen Hawking. the adversity that he has faced is amazing.. and to come through like he has is a shining testament to his character and his force of will. ALS is a deadly disease, that Stephen has it and has gone on to not only be successful, but perhaps, one of the greatest thinkers of our age is an amazing thing to have overcome as much as he has.

No Heroes, Brian?

Not even authors? Not even Mother Theresa?
Is no one able to give you something to shoot for?
Certainly the successes of others give you some kind of inspiration.

My heroes:
Buddha
Mohammad
Christ
(All as men and not as religious leaders)

Abraham Lincoln
JFK
Joseph Campbell
Einstein
Hawkins
Arthur C. Clarke
Ray Bradbury
Mozart
Beethoven

Really anyone that has the power to move me.
Although you rarely meet anyone like that in real life.

Sure, people give and I respect that. But I'm just not into pedestals.

I'm under the impression that a lot of people are - that many have someone to emulate on a personal level, often aspirationally.

Odd story about Cal Ripken:
Hurt, naked man shows up at Ripken home
Victim had been shot; he says he was kidnapped, forced to strip, then flee By Julie Bell
Sun Staff
Originally published November 28, 2003

A man naked and bleeding from a bullet wound in the back turned up at the Baltimore County home of retired Baltimore Orioles shortstop Cal Ripken last night, pleading for help, county police said. The victim, described by police only as a white male in his 20s, was found shortly after 9 p.m. Police spokeswoman Sgt. Vickie Warehime said the man told police he had been kidnapped near his home in Baltimore City by three men in a white Lexus. Nine hours later, the man reported, he was released in a field near Ripken's home, on the west side of Dover Road near Tufton Avenue, where he was told to strip naked and start running. The man said he heard several shots and was struck once in the back, police said. Investigators found blood near Dover Road, and followed it across the road, over a fence and onto Ripken's front porch. Without identifying Ripken, Warehime said, "The homeowner called and said there was a man banging on his door and he didn't know what was going on." He called back a short time later and said the victim appeared to have been shot. Police said the first calls came from passers-by who reported seeing a man running naked from the woods. A police dispatcher confirmed that Ripken had called to report the wounded man. Officers were dispatched at 9:09 p.m. and arrived at Ripken's home to find the victim naked, with a gunshot wound to the back, lying on the front porch. The man was taken to Maryland Shock Trauma Center by MedEvac. His condition was unknown late last night. Police did not release his name. "We still don't know why the shooting occurred, why he was kidnapped in Baltimore City and why nine hours later he ends up on Dover Road," Warehime said. Baltimore City police spokesman Troy Harris said, "At this point it's going to be a joint investigation. ... We're just finding out about it right now." A woman who answered the intercom at Ripken's front gate said, "I'm sorry, there's no comment tonight."

I don't know that I've ever had "heroes" either. I have people I admire, to be sure, but I think hero worship is something totally different and something I'm not really comfortable with.

When I was a child, I read everything I could get my hands on about Amelia Earheart and Helen Keller. Both did things that are eminently admirable. But I never put either one of them up on a pedestal as some example of perfection to be emulated in every resepct. Amelia Earhart, for example, had a troubled marriage.

Today, I am more cognizant that even those people who do great or remarkable things - people like Mother Teresa, people like Stephen Hawking, people like the many writers I admire - are still completely and fallibly human, and are probably not admirable at all times and on every level. So I think I wouldn't want to put the responsibility on them of being "heroes" or role models. That's a hard role to live up to. I wouldn't want anyone to do that to me (not that there is any danger that anyone would:D).

littlemissattitude said:
I wouldn't want anyone to do that to me (not that there is any danger that anyone would:D).

I put anyone from California with an attitude on a pedestal. I can't for the life of me figure out how anyone can live there! :D:D:D

emong said:
I put anyone from California with an attitude on a pedestal. I can't for the life of me figure out how anyone can live there! :D:D:D

Well, it gets harder and harder to live here, I have to admit. That's mostly the politicians' fault. Having an attitude definitely helps.

Have you ever been to California? If so, which part or parts? The thing about California is, it is probably a lot different than most people who haven't been here, or who have only been to Los Angeles or San Francisco, think it is. Where I live, it's a lot like the midwest, or the Bible Belt. A lot. And, honestly, even the Los Angeles area really isn't like it seems from movies and televsion. I only know that because I grew up in southern California and still consider it home. San Francisco kind of is like its stereotype, but I don't like The City (as they like to call themselves) that much anyway, so I probably am not a good one to make judgments.

And as far as the pedestal thing...I'll climb down. I swear I will. If for no other reason than I don't like heights.:D

Good point about "heroes", I suppose the term has relative and subjective meanings. There are people I admire, but I have no illusion or desire to be "just like" them. And I realize humans are and will be human. None of us can be perfect, certainly not at all times.

I saw a great many names listed that I admire, one of my favorites being Stephen Hawking. I seem to recall Albert Einstein being mentioned as well. But the person I have admired most since my childhood is Jacques Cousteau. Most are familiar with his television programs and environmental activism, but he (with a partner) invented the aqualung as well, making possible the exploration of the oceans.

To me, a hero is a normal person who in the face of adversity, fear, hate, or the evils of the world still chooses to do the right thing. They are at that moment placing greater good above their own life, needs, or wants. Anyone on any given day can be a hero.

It is that intention to which I aspire. Some days I'll succeed and others I'll fail, but to do what is right is my goal.

The only one I can think of right now is that man from New York and the subway. He put his body on top of the young man and let a train run over them.

Nita

My father. I can't say I aspire to be like him. In most ways we're very different people. But some of the things that he's done in his life inspire me greatly.

Dauer

A few that one one fateful morning embodied what the word Hero should mean.

Christian Adams
Todd Beamer
Alan Beaven
Mark Bingham
Deora Bodley
Marion Britton
Thomas E. Burnett, Jr.
William Cashman
Georgine Rose Corrigan
Patricia Cushing
Joseph DeLuca
Patrick "Joe" Driscoll
Edward Porter Felt
Jane Folger
Colleen L. Fraser
Andrew Garcia
Jeremy Glick
Lauren Grandcolas
Donald F. Greene
Linda Gronlund
Richard Guadagno
Toshiya Kuge
Hilda Marcin
Waleska Martinez
Nicole Carol Miller
Louis J. Nacke, II
Donald A. Peterson
Jean Peterson
Mark "Mickey" Rothenberg
Christine Snyder
John Talignani
Honor Elizabeth Wainio
Kristin White Gould

A few that one one fateful morning embodied what the word Hero should mean.

Christian Adams
Todd Beamer
Alan Beaven
Mark Bingham
Deora Bodley
Marion Britton
Thomas E. Burnett, Jr.
William Cashman
Georgine Rose Corrigan
Patricia Cushing
Joseph DeLuca
Patrick "Joe" Driscoll
Edward Porter Felt
Jane Folger
Colleen L. Fraser
Andrew Garcia
Jeremy Glick
Lauren Grandcolas
Donald F. Greene
Linda Gronlund
Richard Guadagno
Toshiya Kuge
Hilda Marcin
Waleska Martinez
Nicole Carol Miller
Louis J. Nacke, II
Donald A. Peterson
Jean Peterson
Mark "Mickey" Rothenberg
Christine Snyder
John Talignani
Honor Elizabeth Wainio
Kristin White Gould

Ermmmm who are they?

Hi pattimax,

Well a link to google is not going to aid my understanding. I have limited time and cannot follow every link to everything anybody suggests. Would be nice if you could personally give some voice rather than paste you alphabetical list which is after all said and done a list and nothing more.

Regards

TE

Back