What are the Differences between the Abrahamic Faiths?

Quahom1

What was the question?
Reaction score
I'm gonna keep it simple. Y'all fill in the blanks.

There is One and only One God.

Judeasm "Yes"
Christianity "Yes"
Islam "Yes

There is a "Messiah"

Judeasm "Yes"
Christianity "Yes"
Islam "Yes"

Scripture is:

Judeasm "Complete with the OT"
Christianity "Complete with the NT"
Islam "Corrupt? requiring a rewrite IAW the last Prophet?"

What part of this is in error?

Quahom1 said:
I'm gonna keep it simple. Y'all fill in the blanks.

There is One and only One God.

Judeasm "Yes"
Christianity "Yes"
Islam "Yes

There is a "Messiah"

Judeasm "Yes"
Christianity "Yes"
Islam "Yes"

Scripture is:

Judeasm "Complete with the OT"
Christianity "Complete with the NT"
Islam "Corrupt? requiring a rewrite IAW the last Prophet?"

What part of this is in error?

I'm going to keep it simple ;)

The difference is Jesus...

One group rejects him completely
One group accepts him as the Messiah and their God
One group accepts him as the Messiah and a great Prophet.

Kindest Regards, all!
aburaees said:

This raises an interesting question:

It seems some of the distinctions hinge on the term "Messiah." To the Jews, Yashua did not fulfill the role. To the Christians, he fulfilled the role completely, to the point of being G-d. I am guessing here pertaining to Islam, but the role of "Messiah" seems not to be an extension or emanation of G-d, yet is an elevated prophet? Is this correct?

juantoo3 said:
Kindest Regards, all!

This raises an interesting question:

It seems some of the distinctions hinge on the term "Messiah." To the Jews, Yashua did not fulfill the role. To the Christians, he fulfilled the role completely, to the point of being G-d. I am guessing here pertaining to Islam, but the role of "Messiah" seems not to be an extension or emanation of G-d, yet is an elevated prophet? Is this correct?

You're right, it all comes down to the meaning of the word...

In Hebrew Moshiach (sp?) literally means anointed (by God), hence David was also a Moshiach, I believe.

Then transliterated into Greek Messiah (only twice) the word retains the meaning of "anointed" (by God) but is also believed to mean Saviour (i.e. God). Christ has the same literal meaning as Moshiach.

In Arabic the word is Masih, but I don't believe Masih is an Arabic word but an Arabized word, hence the literal meaning of the word Masih is unknown but is only ever attributed to Jesus in Islam. To know the literal meaning of the word Masih one has to depend on the language it originated in i.e. Hebrew.

In Islam Jesus isn't expected to rule as King (anointed), as when he comes the leadership of the Muslim community will be given to Al-Mahdi. I wonder if any Muslims would care to explain the Islamic meaning of the word Masih...

aburaees said:

Christians and Jews both reject Muhammad so there is the difference too..

Why can't we look for similarities?

One God
All 3 religions followers of the 10 commandments (That is significant)
No lies
No Murder
No suicide
No relationships out of marriage
No homosexuality
Charity
No jealousy
Respect to Parents
etc.

The Arab learnt to live in a desert, a European in the hills and the Jew has learnt to live in civilised environment before the rest of us. Different peoples have different needs and this is what causes the differences within religion. Christians shouldn't be eating pork but this didn't suit our needs. Jews never ate pork probably due to illness that came with it. Logical behind most stuff in religion, the pure stuff is theological, the stuff that makes us ONE and the same child of GOD.

Postmaster said:
Why can't we look for similarities?

One God
All 3 religions followers of the 10 commandments (That is significant)
No lies
No Murder
No suicide
No relationships out of marriage
No homosexuality
Charity
No jealousy
Respect to Parents
etc.
There we go...like that look for similarities...and one of the largest? We all struggle with the very commandments we expect others to follow...Oh we may be doing good with the one we are currenlty using as our judgement stikck, but don't look behind the curtain...

Postmaster said:
which the Koran contains OT too?

Being smaller in volume than the New Testament, I doubt it contains the whole of the Old testament, unless you are including the Hadith, which is not part of scripture, but rather traditions. Remember, the middle of the bible is Psalm 118: 18. Long way to go before even touching the NT there.

The difference is Jesus. Any religion that doenst have the Son, does not have the Father.

Terrence said:
The difference is Jesus. Any religion that doenst have the Son, does not have the Father.

I doubt it. They might not have the Father to see fully, (no one can see God fully), but God is still present with man...all man. He never said "I will not be with man". He just said He can't look upon the sin of man.

Terrance how many Christians struggle to keep the basic commandants found in the old testament before advancing towards the teachings of Jesus Christ?

Can't love be found in complete honesty towards your fellow human, a clear conscious of envy? Respect to your fellow humans and elderly.. How many Muslims, Christians and Jews fail to keep even the basic commandments of God.

It seems to me that the Kind of love Christ was teaching people to have, is being twisted and used as some kind of tool to explain why a certain type of people are infidels, not of there kind, different and evil? Whereas this act would not have been approved by Christ the Mystic. The best you can do is set an example, thats how to follow Christ.

Quahom1 said:
I doubt it. They might not have the Father to see fully, (no one can see God fully), but God is still present with man...all man. He never said "I will not be with man". He just said He can't look upon the sin of man.

I dont know about that. God only has a relationship with those who come to him His way, and thats through His Son, Jesus. You dont have Jesus, you dont have God.

Terrence said:
I dont know about that. God only has a relationship with those who come to him His way, and thats through His Son, Jesus. You dont have Jesus, you dont have God.

Can't do that. There are still those out there that have not heard the Word of God.

Terrance how many Christians struggle to keep the basic commandants found in the old testament before advancing towards the teachings of Jesus Christ?

No one but Jesus kept the Law. The Law is given to show man His need for a Savior.

Can't love be found in complete honesty towards your fellow human, a clear conscious of envy? Respect to your fellow humans and elderly.. How many Muslims, Christians and Jews fail to keep even the basic commandments of God.

We ought to love all people! Morevover, we ought to strive to hard to love them insomuch that we treat them better than ourselves. Still however, we dont lie to people. Instead, we tell them the raw truth, i.e., the Law wasnt given by God for men to keep because NO one can keep the law. In fact, no one (other than Jesus) has kept the law. The Bible teaches that the Law is given as a school master to lead us to Christ. It reveals man's true nature and shows man's need for Grace.

It seems to me that the Kind of love Christ was teaching people to have, is being twisted and used as some kind of tool to explain why a certain type of people are infidels, not of there kind, different and evil? Whereas this act would not have been approved by Christ the Mystic. The best you can do is set an example, thats how to follow Christ.

I best way to follow Christ is do what He said. Repent, deny self and follow Him.

Terrence said:

You read me right. There are still those out there that haven't heard the Word of God...what did you think all 6 billion on earth have heard the word of God?

Quahom1 said:
You read me right. There are still those out there that haven't heard the Word of God...what did you think all 6 billion on earth have heard the word of God?

Yeah, I read you right. But, I dont know why you would write that. Thats pretty obvious. What was the point you were trying to make?

Terrence said:
Yeah, I read you right. But, I dont know why you would write that. Thats pretty obvious. What was the point you were trying to make?

You made an obtuse statement, and I point out an obtuse fact. Can't condemn those who don't know.

you stated:

judge not, I suppose is the order of the day.

Where did I judge? I just said God's people are those who come to Him His way, through Christ.

Thats pretty obvious, right?

Back