Do you call yourself a Christian?

wil

UNeyeR1
Veteran Member
Messages
24,497
Reaction score
3,897
Points
108
Location
a figment of your imagination
In my exploration it is true that I have an interest, an affinity, an acceptance of religions other than Chrisitanity. And I don't believe that Hindu's and Bhuddists and Athiests are going to Hell. And I don't believe in a new and improved version of Zeus.

But I do call myself a Christian.

As I see Jesus's teachings and his life as something to learn from and emulate. Of all the gurus/teachers, he is the one I put on the top of my list.

Now I don't know if he accomplished all the healings, or whether he rose from the dead, or if he even existed. But none of that detracts from my love of the spirit of Jesus, and being able to learn from the stories.

So I call myself a Christian.

Now you may not call me a Christian, but my question is, Do you call yourself a Christian and why?
 
Hi Wil,

I will call you whatever you wish to be called. So Christian Wil, to answer your question. It seems to me I don't call myself anything except I usually answer to Joseph, Joe or JM. Others call me whatever they decide and if it is Christian, that is okay with me. Perhaps labels have lost their meaning to me and I see them only as vanities and inherently fallacious.

Love in Christ,
JM
 
JosephM said:
Hi Wil,

I will call you whatever you wish to be called. So Christian Wil, to answer your question. It seems to me I don't call myself anything except I usually answer to Joseph, Joe or JM. Others call me whatever they decide and if it is Christian, that is okay with me. Perhaps labels have lost their meaning to me and I see them only as vanities and inherently fallacious.

Love in Christ,
JM

What a rare and beautiful outlook!

Peace
 
wil said:
In my exploration it is true that I have an interest, an affinity, an acceptance of religions other than Chrisitanity. And I don't believe that Hindu's and Bhuddists and Athiests are going to Hell. And I don't believe in a new and improved version of Zeus.

But I do call myself a Christian...

I call myself a Christian, but I really should be called a Christian-Buddhist.
 
Sorry Prober, but I read on your super-double-secret test results from Beliefnet that you're 100% Seventh Day Adventist. Sorry...no waffling allowed.

Neo Pagan Flow....YEEEEEAAAAAHHHHH! :p
 
flowperson said:
Sorry Prober, but I read on your super-double-secret test results from Beliefnet that you're 100% Seventh Day Adventist. Sorry...no waffling allowed.

Neo Pagan Flow....YEEEEEAAAAAHHHHH! :p

But...but...but...

Buddhists have cooler stuff!
 
Quahom1 said:
Could also be called cynical.

Could be called anything .... even cynical... but...

cyn·i·cal (s
ibreve.gif
n
prime.gif
ibreve.gif
-k
schwa.gif
l)
adj. 1. Believing or showing the belief that people are motivated chiefly by base or selfish concerns; skeptical of the motives of others: a cynical dismissal of the politician's promise to reform the campaign finance system.
2. Selfishly or callously calculating: showed a cynical disregard for the safety of his troops in his efforts to advance his reputation.
3. Negative or pessimistic, as from world-weariness: a cynical view of the average voter's intelligence.
4. Expressing jaded or scornful skepticism or negativity: cynical laughter.

Being sincere and honest with you, I would have to say none of the definitions above seem to remotely fit but that would be my perception, so quahom1, you can call me whatever you perceive, even cynical, if that pleases you.


Love in Christ,
JM
 
JosephM said:
Could be called anything .... even cynical... but...

cyn·i·cal (s
ibreve.gif
n
prime.gif
ibreve.gif
-k
schwa.gif
l)
adj. 1. Believing or showing the belief that people are motivated chiefly by base or selfish concerns; skeptical of the motives of others: a cynical dismissal of the politician's promise to reform the campaign finance system.
2. Selfishly or callously calculating: showed a cynical disregard for the safety of his troops in his efforts to advance his reputation.
3. Negative or pessimistic, as from world-weariness: a cynical view of the average voter's intelligence.
4. Expressing jaded or scornful skepticism or negativity: cynical laughter.

Being sincere and honest with you, I would have to say none of the definitions above seem to remotely fit but that would be my perception, so quahom1, you can call me whatever you perceive, even cynical, if that pleases you.

Actually, I'm not pleased by much. So I get no satisfaction in even the perception of debasement of another. But I do understand cynicism. Lived with it my whole young life. Now in middle life I find it hard to swallow. but none the less I understand it when I see it.

And you can take that as you see fit. But do not take it as an insult, since it was not meant as such.

v/r

Joshua
 
No insult taken Joshua. Everyone is entitled to their own perception of what another meant. It seems we make our own reality by it.

Wishing you much healing from your experiences in childhood. My Dad was very cynical in his later years and was very close to being considered a recluse. However he did a great job of raising us for which I am thankful and there are no regrets here. But I don't think it runs in the genes. :)

Love in Christ,
JM
 
It's taken me a very long time to be able to call myself a Christian. I got bogged down by what was happening in churches and the division I see out there in the world in His name. I was brought up to believe in a loving, all-encompassing and forgiving God and it's to Him I return, not anyone else. I am a Christian.
 
Hey wil, my friend, how goes it? I've been meaning to post on this thread for some time now. So, since I am putting off things that really have to be done around here today....

I call myself a Christian because I decided to follow Christ. Jesus is the manifestation of Christ that I know. He showed Himself to me in the Spirit of Love. I believe that He showed us forgiveness, mercy and the deepest Love there can be. I am willing to believe in His resurrection, and that He is the Son of God. And to me, the evidence of the Spirit touching my spirit and living within me and in others is quite real--and it is something He is recorded as promising. That said, I still think He has others He shepherds, and He also went on record with this statement. So, I do not know how He shows Himself to them, but I do know that it involves Love. I've said it before--Christianity is my native language in which I am fluent, but I figure that God speaks in many ways with which I am not as familiar. I don't think He is upset because I want everyone to experience Love. I am just careful, because I don't want to mislead anyone about things that have not been completely revealed.

InPeace,
InLove
 
Hey wil, my friend, how goes it? I've been meaning to post on this thread for some time now. So, since I am putting off things that really have to be done around here today....

I call myself a Christian because I decided to follow Christ. Jesus is the manifestation of Christ that I know. He showed Himself to me in the Spirit of Love. I believe that He showed us forgiveness, mercy and the deepest Love there can be. I am willing to believe in His resurrection, and that He is the Son of God. And to me, the evidence of the Spirit touching my spirit and living within me and in others is quite real--and it is something He is recorded as promising. That said, I still think He has others He shepherds, and He also went on record with this statement. So, I do not know how He shows Himself to them, but I do know that it involves Love. I've said it before--Christianity is my native language in which I am fluent, but I figure that God speaks in many ways with which I am not as familiar. I don't think He is upset because I want everyone to experience Love. I am just careful, because I don't want to mislead anyone about things that have not been completely revealed.

InPeace,
InLove


Hi InLove, Very nicely said. Thank you!

luna
 
Now you may not call me a Christian, but my question is, Do you call yourself a Christian and why?

Not anymore. I find the term is too narrowly defined and carries too much baggage to use it as descriptive of my view. I don't have any problem with others that do, but *I* don't feel honest when I use it.
 
Yes and no. Depends on the context and how I feel the other person will think about labels.

I've had too many incidences of others telling me I wasn't a Christian, or some variation of that theme- I was a weak Christian, or not as Christian as they were, etc. I've given up my attachment to the label.

Ultimately, I am a follower of Christ. To me, that means I am a Christian. To others, my other beliefs and appreciation of a variety of other faiths negates my sincere desire and effort to follow Christ. At this point, they are welcome to make that judgement if they so choose. I have come to know that others' opinions don't matter much- there's only One whose judgement ultimately counts.
 
I have come to know that others' opinions don't matter much- there's only One whose judgement ultimately counts.
Whose judgement do you think counts? I think to be a follower of Christ requires accepting other people's judgement and opinions. That does not mean that my own opinion and judgement can't be different... but I have to listen to, consider, accept, and even follow other people's judgement and opinions now and then. I think Jesus called that Faith.

I don't know what salvation means to people, but at the separation of goats and lambs, I see that it involves relationships with people... like the least of people.
 
Whose judgement do you think counts? I think to be a follower of Christ requires accepting other people's judgement and opinions. That does not mean that my own opinion and judgement can't be different... but I have to listen to, consider, accept, and even follow other people's judgement and opinions now and then. I think Jesus called that Faith.

I don't know what salvation means to people, but at the separation of goats and lambs, I see that it involves relationships with people... like the least of people.

What you think (pertaining to a personal GOD), doesn't matter.

You can express an opinion, but that does not make it fact. We do not accept others' opinions, or judgemets...

And yes, if you want to be on the Christian forum, you have to listen to, consider others' thoughts.

v/r

Joshua
 
Back
Top