Alternative christian sects section?

BlaznFattyz

Reaction score
maybe it would be helpful to have an alternative christian section to list all those religions that use the name of christianity but do not believe that christ is god or are merely adopting certain christian doctrine.
there are so many of these groups that perhaps they deserve there own section and it would allow the moving of posts that are in the wrong place thus getting rid of arguments and tension. some of these groups that are commonly known as sects are:
- Mormons
- Jehovah's Witnesses.
- Moonies.
- New Age
- Christian Science Church.
- Church of Scientology.
- Church Universal and Triumphant.
- Children of God, Family of Love.
- Worldwide Church of God, of Armstrong.
- Spiritualism, Spiritualistic Churches, Spiritism.
- Unitarian Church
- Universalism
- Unitarianism... Universalism.
- Unity School of Christianity
- Socinianism

any comments?

moseslmpg said:
How is Scientology Christian?
that is a list of christian sects i found, but perhaps scientology has nothing to do with anything. the point really is more about a different a section, not the preciseness of the groups listed at the moment.

Here's my comment: There should not be any alternative Christian sects. They are all an embarrasment to a Holy God. Jesus said that if anyone wants to be His disciple, they must first deny self and pick up their cross and follow Him. Not go about reinventing the ways of God. That is crazy! Jesus preached in love and was hated for it, as was his followers. Do you not see that there is a problem? Jesus said this about people who would follow him, "Dont be suprise if the world hates you. A servant is not greater than his master. They hated and persecuted me and they will do the same to you." Listen, I'm being honest when I say this: If your Christianty causes you to be loved by the world and not set apart, you are not a Christian or loved by God. God calls His people out of the world and says, "Love not the world or the things of it. For if you love the world, the love of the Father is not in you and you make yourself an enemy of God." God is calling people to be holy as He is Holy.

Dor said:
It isn't but it is listed as such, for the fact they actually use a completely reinterpeted Bible.
Yeah, that's what I wanted to know; how there were considered a Christian sect.

Well, what about Gnostic Christianity? That's very popular nowadays and it is older than those sects. Of course, then you have the risk of it becoming a Gnosticism section without any connection to Christianity.

The funny twist is; many of them are exactly like the rest of Christianity...they think they have it right and the rest have it wrong!

Now as far as I know Unitarians and the UUs are explorers looking at a variety of religions, openly discussing and debating a variety of ideas, and while their are Christians that are members, they themselves do not proclaim to be Christian.

There are also a number of them that do believe Jesus to be divine, to be G-d, the part where people have issues is they listen to Jesus, Ye are G-ds and 'be still and know that I am G-d' regular Christian sects/cults do not like the Christian sects/cults that believe everyone to be expressions of G-d.

This same discussion occurred a while ago....when the esoteric christian section and the creation of the new libreral christian section...however some don't like to be called liberal or esoteric....and some like to head to the liberal and esoteric and inform them of the error in their ways.

It seems to me as newcomers come in there is always a learing period as we all learn to dance...and some toes get stepped on. Fortunately this place has some wonderful, caring, compassionate and patient dance leaders...and it seems to work out well.

wil said:
Now as far as I know Unitarians and the UUs are explorers looking at a variety of religions, openly discussing and debating a variety of ideas, and while their are Christians that are members, they themselves do not proclaim to be Christian.
We believe that personal experience, conscience and reason should be the final authorities in religion, and that in the end religious authority lies not in a book or person or institution, but in ourselves....from their own website. So I have to agree with Wil they are not a Christian sect even though they might like the name also.

And yes we have had these discussions before....
Some things never change and a name does not make anyone. A shoe is a shoe just because I call a bra a shoe does not make it one.

I disagree with that.

You know, I don't think that we really need a section for different sects, just a little less judgement and stifling of their message when it comes to the Christian section. Of course on second thought, I don't think that will ever happen so maybe the section is a good idea...

BlaznFattyz said:
maybe it would be helpful to have an alternative christian section to list all those religions that use the name of christianity

And if one of these people doesn't want the label "alternative christian" attached to them, can they still post in the Christianity section?

I don't believe many of these would want to be called "alternative" any more than you do, don't you agree?

I suppose we could resurrect one of the "what defines a Christian" threads, slug it out until we get a definitive answer, and then split the group. But from my experience, this type of thread just goes on and on forever until someone gets angry or judgemental.

aburaees said:
And if one of these people doesn't want the label "alternative christian" attached to them, can they still post in the Christianity section?
well sure, just like it is now - everyone has the ability to put their 2 cents in for the purpose of learning from each other. the main difference is if a topic deals mainly with a sect of christianity it can be moved there instead of causing tension in the main christian section.

I believe everyone should be able to post in any forum and I believe we can on these boards.....the question is not where we can post but what we can post where.

Yes some of us think there are certain things that have to fall into the definition of Christian but that said you never see me telling people they are not or can not post here......I might say they are stretching the name but I understand that.

Everyone loves the name even though it does not fit everyone.
Seriously if I was gonna start a cult of course Id want the name Christian thrown on it even if I was telling people to worship Christ shaped gummy bears. It is instant credibility.

Only in America. Saying that you are a Christian in some other countries would cause others to assume you actually love and live for Jesus and it may mean your life. Thank God for America, huh? People here can use the name "Christian" to make gain and be rich. Its so ironic to me.

In Jesus,

Terrence

Terrence said:
Only in America. Saying that you are a Christian in some other countries would cause others to assume you actually love and live for Jesus and it may mean your life....
Hmmm...I think that same assumption is made here as well...and for the most part is accurate.

Terrence said:
Jesus said this about people who would follow him, "Dont be suprise if the world hates you. A servant is not greater than his master. They hated and persecuted me and they will do the same to you." Listen, I'm being honest when I say this: If your Christianty causes you to be loved by the world and not set apart, you are not a Christian or loved by God. God calls His people out of the world and says, "Love not the world or the things of it. For if you love the world, the love of the Father is not in you and you make yourself an enemy of God." God is calling people to be holy as He is Holy.
well according to this ,JW must be christians then.;)

Groan...

Maybe the main Christianity section should be for Catholics only, and not all of you apostate, alternative, new-agey Protestants.:D

As I said on another thread, Christian isn't just a religion, it's also a general ethnicity. There's a whole universe of Christian thought, practice, and culture, and it's evolving and changing all the time. There is a desperate need for a broad dialog between all the factions and those on the fringes, not to codify and standardize, but to learn to listen and share. People are crying out for this everywhere you turn. The solution is not to form a consensus on where to erect a fence, but to tear down the fences and walls.

Chris

mee said:
well according to this ,JW must be christians then.;)

Thats what my friend who is a JW says. I tell him that he is a good sinner who is working his way to God without relying on Jesus' finished works on the cross. He seems to think, as all other JWs do, that you have to add to what Jesus already did. Moreover, he, as all other JWs do, preach another gospel...one of works and not one of faith. Dont assume because you have some oppossition and get some persecution, you are a Chrisitan. Real brothers and sisters of the faith get torchered and murdered for Jesus. You get talked about and get doors slamed in your faces early mornings. Thats hardly persecution.

Back