Your beliefs: what are they REALLY?

Wow, this threads still around!

I've taken this quiz several times before, don't believe I've posted the results before.

1. Secular Humanism (100%)
2. Unitarian Universalism (97%)
3. Theravada Buddhism (92%)
4. Liberal Quakers (85%)
5. Nontheist (80%)
Taoism (75%)
7. Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (63%)
8. Neo-Pagan (62%)
9. Mahayana Buddhism (59%)
Orthodox Quaker (52%)
11. New Age (49%)
Jainism (48%)
Reform Judaism (42%)
14. Baha'i Faith (35%)
Sikhism (33%)
Scientology (32%)
17. New Thought (30%)
Hinduism (27%)
Christian Science (Church of Christ, Scientist) (24%)
Seventh Day Adventist (24%)
Mainline to Conservative Christian/Protestant (19%)
22. Islam (18%)
Orthodox Judaism (18%)
Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormons) (16%)
Eastern Orthodox (9%)
26. Roman Catholic (9%)
Jehovah's Witness (5%)

I'm not too familiar with secular humanism. It sounds to me like its a nontheistic replacement for religion, which I think is completely unnecessary.

I'm surprised "nontheist" wasn't number 1!

edit: formatting

I'm surprised by how changing the priority on just one question can dramatically change the results.

My results, today:

Re: Not What I Expected ....

well maybe it's just food for thought? :)

or just junk food :p

s.

Today...1. Unitarian Universalism (100%) 2. Liberal Quakers (90%) 3. Neo-Pagan (90%) 4. New Age (86%) 5. Mahayana Buddhism (85%) 6. Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (78%) 7. New Thought (77%) 8. Theravada Buddhism (73%) 9. Scientology (72%) 10. Secular Humanism (68%) 11. Taoism (67%) .... 26. Eastern Orthodox (13%) 27. Roman Catholic (13%)

Now I attend a new thought church...have for a dozen years...still 100% UU!! Neo pagan and new age have moved up...taoist still at #11 +/-65% and only agree 13% with the orthodox, no surprise eh thomas?

My beliefs?

A steaming pile of crap.

Hopefully they'll go away... real soon.

Found this and thought of you:

Belief-O-Matic - Beliefnet.com

Do the test (be honest, not manipulative!) and see what you get. Anything interesting?

I got 100% something I'd not even heard of (ignorant me).

Snoopy.

seems accurate..New Thought:

1. New Thought (100%) 2. Nontheist (100%) 3. Scientology (100%) 4. Theravada Buddhism (100%) 5. Christian Science (Church of Christ, Scientist) (91%) 6. Taoism (90%) 7. Neo-Pagan (83%) 8. Reform Judaism (83%) 9. Secular Humanism (83%) 10. Mahayana Buddhism (77%) 11. Mainline to Conservative Christian/Protestant (77%) 12. Liberal Quakers (72%) 13. Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (72%) 14. Orthodox Quaker (66%) 15. Sikhism (66%) 16. Unitarian Universalism (66%) 17. Hinduism (54%) 18. Seventh Day Adventist (54%) 19. Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormons) (50%) 20. Eastern Orthodox (50%) 21. Islam (50%) 22. New Age (50%) 23. Orthodox Judaism (50%) 24. Roman Catholic (50%) 25. Baha'i Faith (45%) 26. Jainism (43%) 27. Jehovah's Witness (33%)

seems accurate..New Thought:
So New Thought, that would be Science of Mind, Unity, Religous Science, Christ Universal Temple, Divine Science, Universal Foundation for Better Living...

If you are so aligned and inclined maybe you'll find what you are looking for at one of their churches.

A mixture I suppose; cults, religions, belief systems, depending on your definitions and view points. If you're not in it it's a cult, if you're in it it's your life. Bit like one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter. Maybe you could be a Mystical Bottom?

Just a thought.;)

s

all religions are cults.:)

So New Thought, that would be Science of Mind, Unity, Religous Science, Christ Universal Temple, Divine Science, Universal Foundation for Better Living...

If you are so aligned and inclined maybe you'll find what you are looking for at one of their churches.

my only beliefs are that we're consciousness and without illusion there is no-thing-ness. AND this illusion is a "prison-mind-control-matrix" with a set storyline and set characters with limited "creating" within the storyline. i believe it's a "prison of our minds"...:D

don't need a church to talk about that, do i?:D

all religions are cults.:)

Yeah the words are interchangeble I guess, depending on the POV.

"Cult" invariably has a negative connotation maybe?

"Every cult can be defined as a group having all of the following five characteristics:

It uses psychological coercion to recruit, indoctrinate and retain its members
It forms an elitist totalitarian society.
Its founder leader is self-appointed, dogmatic, messianic, not accountable and has charisma.
It believes 'the end justifies the means' in order to solicit funds recruit people.
Its wealth does not benefit its members or society."

-

Cult Information Centre - Common Questions About the Cults

as compared to Ninian Smart’s sevenfold aspects of religions:

1. Doctrinal
  2. Mythological
  3. Ethical
  4. Ritual
  5. Experiential
  6. Social
  7. Material (added in his 1998 text)

-

Ninian Smart - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

s.

Yeah the words are interchangeble I guess, depending on the POV.

"Cult" invariably has a negative connotation maybe?

"Every cult can be defined as a group having all of the following five characteristics:

It uses psychological coercion to recruit, indoctrinate and retain its members
It forms an elitist totalitarian society.
Its founder leader is self-appointed, dogmatic, messianic, not accountable and has charisma.
It believes 'the end justifies the means' in order to solicit funds recruit people.
Its wealth does not benefit its members or society."

-

Cult Information Centre - Common Questions About the Cults

as compared to Ninian Smart’s sevenfold aspects of religions:

1. Doctrinal
  2. Mythological
  3. Ethical
  4. Ritual
  5. Experiential
  6. Social
  7. Material (added in his 1998 text)
-

Ninian Smart - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

s.

too complicated the above. and whose definition are you gonna use? sounds like you've been taking religious studies at university LOL:p

beliefs that come from outside yourself and not questioned = mind control = cult.

for example. i was raised catholic as a child. now a child's mind is shaped from early on. so let's say parents bring the child to church and force the child to read the bible etc. that's coercion and indoctrination. the child doesn't have a choice. once the child is mind controlled it's too late = eventually a mind controlled adult.

now look at all religions and you'll find all the characteristics you listed.

i believe also beliefs that are downloaded from books, TV, movies etc.etc. are cult-like in nature. is it really a choice when you're downloaded with beliefs? for example i know history is rewritten and people get lots of their belief systems from history. so a belief system formed from something outside yourself that has been manipulated. you then acquire certain beliefs = cult = mind control.

the only way one can escape the cult that is this world is to disconnect from the system (get rid of TV etc.) but also toss out every belief you've ever had and start all over.

Back