What Unity Teaches

Discussion in 'Belief and Spirituality' started by Bendee, Oct 28, 2006.

1. Thomas

Thomas Well-Known Member

Quite. :rolleyes:

The point is, ad hominems just lose you credibility ...

If we were talking about racist or sexist stereotypes, would that be your answer?

No ned to answer, I know it wouldn't ... but can you then see how it comes across as defending a prejudice? I'm Catholic, so that stereotype defines me.

The point here is, there can be no reasoned nor reasonable dialogue if one or both parties has fixed the other in a stereotype.

2. wil

wil UNeyeR1

In Unity there are only probably 5% of us that were raised in it, we are about prolly equal thirds, folks who were raised without belief, Catholics and various other protestant denominations (prolly mostly Baptist for that group)

I don't know, is it racist to believe that blacks are superior to whites in athletics? I think that is proven out on every field we've seen (at least every field that has easy access to youth). Just as men are generally stronger than women, it has to do with size, muscle, bone mechanics in our ancestors DNA. I'd also say women are typically more empathetic than men. I'd also say Jewish parents raise their children to study harder, and pick careers which make money. I see a difference between racism, sexism, and facts that turn into stereotypes...of course there are always anecdotal instances that go against the norm...thousands of women are stronger than me, or more pragmatic than me...

3. Thomas

Thomas Well-Known Member

Or that whites are intellectually superior to blacks?

I'm not even going to discuss this with you, Wil.

+++

Back to the point, ad hominems do not an argument make, it's just preaching to the choir, reinforcing the same old tired untruths...

Namaste Jesus likes this.
  4. wil

wil UNeyeR1

No, I don't buy that one. The statement I made is provable fact. Yours I guess maybe, I haven't seen any data.

5. RabbiO

RabbiO הרב יונה בן זכריה

There is never a face palm emoji when one needs one.

Namaste Jesus likes this.
  6. wil

wil UNeyeR1

Parts 2, 3, 4 of Unity Basics.

StevePame likes this.
  7. wil

wil UNeyeR1

Enjoy Fear and Love and a perspective from Hawkins (no not that one)

8. wil

wil UNeyeR1

If you've been reading me here, you may be judging Unity and their teachings/beliefs by what I have said, or what Bendee has posted or by perusing the Metaphysical Bible Dictionary or Revealing Word...or other works of Charles Filmore...

This is the reason I've posted some of my preachers talks...so you can gain another perspective of what Christianity looks like in the eyes of a unitic. I just watched this one the speaker is a layman, a member of our congregation, one of my fellow mentors/teachers for our high school youth... He is providing a perspective of how we see and read the bible, he makes some mistakes in names and places, me thinks he was a little nervous, filling in when our preacher was out of town.

9. wil

wil UNeyeR1

10. wil

wil UNeyeR1

RJM Corbet likes this.
  11. Truthseeker9

Truthseeker9 Member

I believe that Christ is the Image of God, I agree with that. But how does Unity view the trinity? Is Christ an aspect of God, or a perfect reflection of God?
    I believe that Christ is a perfect reflection of God. Also I believe there have been other perfect reflections of God, what Baha'is call Manifestations of God, or prophets as you will. But a Manifestation of God is distinguished from what we call dependent or minor prophets that are not perfect reflections of God, such as Jeremiah, Ezekiel, Isaiah, and so forth.
    I agree with all of the rest.

12. wil

wil UNeyeR1

Unity Church followers believe in the divinity of Jesus, but only in the sense that all humans are the children of God and share that divine potential. They believe that Jesus was a master teacher who expressed this divine potential and sought to show others how to do the same.

God, threefold in Being.

Meta. The divine Trinity is known as Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Metaphysically we understand these to refer to mind, idea, and expression, or thinker, thought, and action. First cause, second cause, third cause.

Man is also threefold--spirit, soul, and body; spirit relating to I AM, soul to consciousness (I am conscious), and body to manifestation (I appear).

https://www.truthunity.net/books/unity-metaphysics-blue-book1-06-the-threefold-nature-of-humankind

13. Truthseeker9

Truthseeker9 Member

Baha'is believe that humans have a divine nature, but the divine nature of Manifestations is of a higher order, one we do not have. We can never be perfect though the soul lives forever, but we are always progressing, the spiritual attainments are infinite.

Your idea of Trinity is interesting. I don't completely understand it, but I get the gist.

When we say the spirit of man and the soul of man it means pretty much the same thing. The soul helps cause consciousness in this world together with the brain but it is not the same as consciousness. Spirit is something that comes to us from God, as I understand it.

Thinker to me doesn't describe God, God is beyond all descriptions or concepts. The Manifestation is more than thought, it is the reflection of God, but not sharing the essence of God. The Holy Spirit is that spirit that makes us spiritually alive and illumines our thoughts. The Holy Spirit is not a person, but an emanation of God like the light of the sun coming from the sun.

14. Thomas

Thomas Well-Known Member

Bit confused here. From a Christian pov, something is either divine or it isn't. There are no divisions in the divine.

It's a psychological model. Such models go back to Augustine, but the point of distinction between traditional Christianity and Unity is the latter reduces the Trinity to a psychologism, really, defining it as such.

As Augustine and the Tradition goes to some lengths to point out, the Trinity is something unique to Itself, unlike any other. So we may draw comparisons, and speak in analogies, but we can never say what the Trinity is, because in Itself in transcends definition or determination.

Augustine offered several analogies (similitudes) of the Trinity as found in human nature. Thus he compares the Trinity to the lover, the loved, and loving; to the mind, its knowledge of itself and its love of itself; to memory, understanding, and will ...

In the former case we regard the wording as somewhat poetic, the spirit of man, the spirit of the occasion, that sort of thing.

Technically we draw a distinction between 'soul', which is created, and 'spirit', which is infused, as you say.

We call it theophany. It is that which is brought into existence by the Divine will and yes, as you say, it is not itself inherently divine. Were it so, it would be self subsistent.

Hmmm... once you start talking about the Trinity you get into uncertain territories.

Yes, the indwelling of the Holy Spirit is the spiritual life.

With regard to 'person', the Christian teaching uses 'person' as best expressed by Boethius 'an individual substance of a rational nature'

While the 'substance' of the Divine is Divine (God is God) The idea of 'individual' really stems from Christ saying that He has been sent and that another would be sent, on the one hand, and Christ's self-identification with God in word and more specifically in deed. Many miss the point that Jesus said and did things in His own name that only God can do, which is why His audience accused Him of blasphemy.

The twelve believed Him (eventually) to be God, as did Paul ... they left it to others to work out the complications.

It's axiomatic of the Fathers that the Spirit reveals the Son, and the Son reveals the Father.