What Unity Teaches

Discussion in 'Belief and Spirituality' started by Bendee, Oct 28, 2006.

1. Thomas

Thomas Well-Known Member

Quite. :rolleyes:

The point is, ad hominems just lose you credibility ...

If we were talking about racist or sexist stereotypes, would that be your answer?

No ned to answer, I know it wouldn't ... but can you then see how it comes across as defending a prejudice? I'm Catholic, so that stereotype defines me.

The point here is, there can be no reasoned nor reasonable dialogue if one or both parties has fixed the other in a stereotype.

2. wil

wil UNeyeR1

In Unity there are only probably 5% of us that were raised in it, we are about prolly equal thirds, folks who were raised without belief, Catholics and various other protestant denominations (prolly mostly Baptist for that group)

I don't know, is it racist to believe that blacks are superior to whites in athletics? I think that is proven out on every field we've seen (at least every field that has easy access to youth). Just as men are generally stronger than women, it has to do with size, muscle, bone mechanics in our ancestors DNA. I'd also say women are typically more empathetic than men. I'd also say Jewish parents raise their children to study harder, and pick careers which make money. I see a difference between racism, sexism, and facts that turn into stereotypes...of course there are always anecdotal instances that go against the norm...thousands of women are stronger than me, or more pragmatic than me...

3. Thomas

Thomas Well-Known Member

Or that whites are intellectually superior to blacks?

I'm not even going to discuss this with you, Wil.

+++

Back to the point, ad hominems do not an argument make, it's just preaching to the choir, reinforcing the same old tired untruths...

Namaste Jesus likes this.
  4. wil

wil UNeyeR1

No, I don't buy that one. The statement I made is provable fact. Yours I guess maybe, I haven't seen any data.

5. RabbiO

RabbiO הרב יונה בן זכריה

There is never a face palm emoji when one needs one.

Namaste Jesus likes this.
  6. wil

wil UNeyeR1

Parts 2, 3, 4 of Unity Basics.

StevePame likes this.
  7. wil

wil UNeyeR1

Enjoy Fear and Love and a perspective from Hawkins (no not that one)

8. wil

wil UNeyeR1

If you've been reading me here, you may be judging Unity and their teachings/beliefs by what I have said, or what Bendee has posted or by perusing the Metaphysical Bible Dictionary or Revealing Word...or other works of Charles Filmore...

This is the reason I've posted some of my preachers talks...so you can gain another perspective of what Christianity looks like in the eyes of a unitic. I just watched this one the speaker is a layman, a member of our congregation, one of my fellow mentors/teachers for our high school youth... He is providing a perspective of how we see and read the bible, he makes some mistakes in names and places, me thinks he was a little nervous, filling in when our preacher was out of town.

9. wil

wil UNeyeR1