Can Muslims be friends with Jews and Christians?

M

Muslimah

I seek refuge in Allah (The One God) from the Satan (devil) the cursed, the rejected

Assalamu Alaikum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuh (May the peace, mercy and blessings of Allah be upon you)

Listen to the holy Quran---the Final Testament
Recitation of Sura Fathiha by Shiekh Saad Al-Ghamdhi of Saudi Arabia
http://www.islamworld.net/fathiha.au

&&&

Can Muslims be friends with Jews and Christians?

http://www.islamicity.com/articles/Articles.asp?ref=IC0608-3072] pl. visit link to read the full article[/b]

We are only discouraged from befriending those who fight Muslims because of their religion ..

O YOU who have attained to faith! Do not take the Jews and the Christians for your allies: they are but allies of one another and whoever of you allies himself with them becomes, verily, one of them; behold, God does not guide people who are unjust. (Quran 5:51)

This verse is often quoted to show that Islam is intolerant.

Quran is a complete book of guidance and while studying various issues it should be kept in mind that a particular issue may be discussed over several chapters or several verses in the same chapter.

A complete understanding can only be achieved by understanding the whole issue as presented over all the verses and chapters and not by looking at only part of the Quran. God specifically warns us against doing just that, upholding part of the Quran while disregarding the rest.

.. Let us look at some other verses about this issue. The following two verses regulate relations with any people, regardless of faith:

As for such [of the unbelievers] as do not fight against you on account of [your] faith, and neither drive you forth from your homelands, God does not forbid you to show them kindness and to behave towards them with full equity: for, verily, God loves those who act equitably. (Quran 60:8)

God only forbids you to turn in friendship towards such as fight against you because of [your] faith, and drive you forth from your homelands, or aid [others] in driving you forth: and as for those [from among you] who turn towards them in friendship; it is they, they who are truly wrongdoers! (Quran 60:9)

Related links to know more about Islam , Quran.
Quran search
Quran Search

Word Search :
(English Yusuf Ali, English Picktall, English Muhammad Asad
Arabic, Turkish, Malay, French, German

The Basis of Islamic Belief

thetruereligion.org - Articles-The Basis of Islamic Belief

By Dr. Gary Miller

Gary Miller (Abdul-Ahad Omar) shows how we can establish true faith by setting standards of truth. He illustrates a simple but effective method of finding out the right direction in our search for truth.

&&

Last edited by a moderator:
Salam/Hello!

Can we be friends? Yes, it's possible. I have had Christian and Jewish friends and no problems.

So what's the problem? I think the problems begin with the stereotypes. People have to overcome these when they meet. We must allow each other chance to meet what is inside our hearts.

If a person simply looks at another person not with a goal to change them, but to accept them, then the friendships are possible regardless what religions they are.

I think the Qur'anic verse refers to the fact that some non-Muslims are very eager to change Muslims and only accept them if they do not act like Muslims/do not practice Islam.

I will give you one example: Muslims in Bosnia. Serbs (Christian Orthodox) call the Bosnian Muslims Turks even though these people have been born on the Bosnian soil for centuries. The Serbs called Bosnian Muslims extremists even though bosnian Muslims mostly have not been very religious at all. The world was surprised when they learned the religious differences, because Bosnian Muslims physically look very much european and they dress very much like non-Muslim Europeans. Yet, Serbs brand them as 'extremists.' That was their way to call the world to be on their side when the bosnian war began. Also, most Muslims who marry non-Muslims in Bosnia (whether male or female) never practice their faith, and act more christianized.

The example I gave above I think mirrors the warning God gave in the Qur'an. I don't think it was meant for Muslims to act and behave like idiots towards Jews or Christians, to avoid them, or such. I think it was meant to be a warning for Muslims not to lose their identity as Muslims. When a person is faced with pressure to change their religious ways in Islam is not acceptable, because for Muslims according to Qur'an prayer to God is first and trying to earn God's approval should always be first. Sometimes we forget that.

I think we have generalities and then we have specifics.

All over I run into people who live on stereotypes that they grew up with, and then the move and find out that these fall away quite quickly if you don't hold onto them.

If one decides to stay radical and intolerant, no matter what your philosophy or religion you will have a hard time dealing with people outside your religion.

If your viewpoint is my way or the highway...then you'll see a number of people leaving your vicinity and odds are you feel ok about that.

But if your goal is friendship, tolerance, understanding...then that will be the life you live.

Like the stanger traveling between two cities and someone asks..."What are the people like in that city up ahead?"....

(snip)
.. Let us look at some other verses about this issue. The following two verses regulate relations with any people, regardless of faith:

As for such [of the unbelievers] as do not fight against you on account of [your] faith, and neither drive you forth from your homelands, God does not forbid you to show them kindness and to behave towards them with full equity: for, verily, God loves those who act equitably. (Quran 60:8)

God only forbids you to turn in friendship towards such as fight against you because of [your] faith, and drive you forth from your homelands, or aid [others] in driving you forth: and as for those [from among you] who turn towards them in friendship; it is they, they who are truly wrongdoers! (Quran 60:9)

(snip)

Wonderful Post Muslimah,

The question being... Can Muslims be friends with Jews and Christians?
The answer of course is a resounding and emphatic yes!
The real questions is .... Will they?
Perhaps your insightful post will give hope to those who believed otherwise.

Love and Peace,
JM

If Jesus can befriend a prositute then I think it definately teaches we all can befriend just about anyone if both parties are willing.

Sallaam aleykum Sister Muslimah

Thank you for an excellent post and quality links.

I can only agree with your points.

I would add that it is important not only to know this in theory but to put it into practice as well.

Peace

Asslamualikum wa rahmatollah

Can muslims be friends with jews and christians. Yes I believe they can. There is no ruling that says Muslims cannot befriend people of other faiths.

O you who believe! Take not the Jews and the Christians as Auliya they are but Auliya to one another. And if any amongst you takes them as Auliya, then surely he is one of them. Verily, Allah guides not those people who are the Zalimun.

Now this Quranic Ayat to me means that do not take a Jewish or Christian tribe as leaders for a Muslim tribe or nation as is happening today. It is better for Muslim affairs to be handled by Muslims. However 1 Muslim befriending a non-muslim is not forbidden unless that non-muslim tries to guide the muslim

this Quranic Ayat to me means that do not take a Jewish or Christian tribe as leaders for a Muslim tribe or nation as is happening today.
where? define a "tribe" for me. this may come as a surprise to you, mate, but most people don't have an identifiable "tribal" identity any more. so basically you're saying that muslims have to be in charge. "oh, i'll be your friend as long as you let me make all the decisions and have all the power" - well, good luck with that and i hope you get lots of birthday cards.

It is better for Muslim affairs to be handled by Muslims.
what nonsense. how is this to be achieved if "muslim affairs" are defined so widely? and what if the muslims don't "handle" them? the trouble is that islam is having terrible difficulty coming up with a way that one can be a "good muslim" living in a non-islamic society. the two suggestions i have so far seen, a) emigrate to somewhere "islamic" (like saudi, i suppose - whoopee!) or b) convert the society to islam are both impractical and undermine the ability of muslims to be good citizens. and, since it's perfectly possible for muslims to be both good citizens and good muslims, as has more or less emerged by default, i would suggest that it's lack of imagination and creativity from the islamic establishment that is letting down both the muslims and wider society. if the only two modes of relation you have are either a) "leave us alone" or b) "let us run everything" that is hardly conducive to dialogue, especially when you consider how fundamentally unislamic all the self-styled islamic countries actually are. if islam is about anything it is about the Oneness of G!D and the message of social justice. where there is no social justice and the muslims are in charge, one can hardly call that an islamic state.

b'shalom

bananabrain

where? define a "tribe" for me. this may come as a surprise to you, mate, but most people don't have an identifiable "tribal" identity any more. so basically you're saying that muslims have to be in charge. "oh, i'll be your friend as long as you let me make all the decisions and have all the power" - well, good luck with that and i hope you get lots of birthday cards.

I suppose in hindsight tribe was the wrong word to use. However I stay behind me point. Muslim countries should not take non-muslim countries as their guardians as is happening in Saudi Arabia and Kuwait. I did not mean that muslims cannot befriend Christians as peers or friends but it is better for Muslim countries to not take non-muslim countries as their guardians.

what nonsense. how is this to be achieved if "muslim affairs" are defined so widely? and what if the muslims don't "handle" them? the trouble is that islam is having terrible difficulty coming up with a way that one can be a "good muslim" living in a non-islamic society. the two suggestions i have so far seen, a) emigrate to somewhere "islamic" (like saudi, i suppose - whoopee!) or b) convert the society to islam are both impractical and undermine the ability of muslims to be good citizens. and, since it's perfectly possible for muslims to be both good citizens and good muslims, as has more or less emerged by default, i would suggest that it's lack of imagination and creativity from the islamic establishment that is letting down both the muslims and wider society. if the only two modes of relation you have are either a) "leave us alone" or b) "let us run everything" that is hardly conducive to dialogue, especially when you consider how fundamentally unislamic all the self-styled islamic countries actually are. if islam is about anything it is about the Oneness of G!D and the message of social justice. where there is no social justice and the muslims are in charge, one can hardly call that an islamic state.

b'shalom

bananabrain

As far as I know there is no issue within Islam of living in non-muslim societies. It seems that you are looking at a few extreme cases where people have said you cannot live in a non-muslim society and taken it as the norm. You mention "leave us alone " or "let us make all the decisions". My brother is this not something that the west is guilty of now?

auliya (Singular:wali) is a "friend-guardian-protecter-care taker" kind of relationship betwen two or more people. It has got nothing to do with friendship . This probelm emerged because of non-natives english speakers translating quran in english, & also because english is too young to incorporate multiple similar meanings in one word . Neither does it have multiple words for same concept with different flavour . As far as I know , in arabic, rafiq is an everyday friend, like a class mate , aziz is somebody who is a darling , siddiq is somebody who will die for you & so on . Quran here discusses "wali" only.

The word here more or less means a person whom you will call when in trouble (like America-Israel friendship). I guess current events keep on proving this verse .

You mention "leave us alone " or "let us make all the decisions". My brother is this not something that the west is guilty of now?

I whole heartedly agree . I live in a country whose president sold his soul to save his people from turning into ashes , neighboured by a country ruled by a puppet, neighboured by a country which is being threatened for her nuke power plants (while within 500 miles from them are their enemies wih nuke weapons) , neighboured by a country which was detroyed for petrol (although there are lot more reasons too), neighbourd by a country which is criticised for helping her brothers when "others" were killing them like cattle , neighboured by the country whose people were killed like cattle when christians were feeling "birth pangs" for a new middle east . OMG......:confused: :mad:

neighboured by a country which is being threatened for her nuke power plants (while within 500 miles from them are their enemies wih nuke weapons) , neighboured by a country which was detroyed for petrol (although there are lot more reasons too), neighbourd by a country which is criticised for helping her brothers when "others" were killing them like cattle , neighboured by the country whose people were killed like cattle when christians were feeling "birth pangs" for a new middle east . OMG......:confused: :mad:

Neighbored by a country which is being threatened for her nuke power plants!! The president of this country has boldly threatened to wipe Israel from the map not to mention the US also.. That countries people are protesting against this president also.

Neighbored by a country that was destroyed for petrol.. oh yeah there were more reasons.. the tryrannical leader that was killing his own people and allowing his demonic sons to do to those same people whatever they wished.. I dont care what the political spoken or unspoken reason was but I believe God answered a lot of prayers by bringing that man and his family down...

Its interesting how this became a "Christian" thing instead of a "Western" thing.. sorry guy.. the only people that bible believing Christians are worried about is the state of Israel.. We know that as long as we stand for Israel... our God will continue to bless us.. the minute we turn our back.. we'll probably be looking at the same situation jew haters are in.. Gods wrath.

Neighbored by a country which is being threatened for her nuke power plants!! The president of this country has boldly threatened to wipe Israel from the map not to mention the US also.. That countries people are protesting against this president also.

Neighbored by a country that was destroyed for petrol.. oh yeah there were more reasons.. the tryrannical leader that was killing his own people and allowing his demonic sons to do to those same people whatever they wished.. I dont care what the political spoken or unspoken reason was but I believe God answered a lot of prayers by bringing that man and his family down...

Its interesting how this became a "Christian" thing instead of a "Western" thing.. sorry guy.. the only people that bible believing Christians are worried about is the state of Israel.. We know that as long as we stand for Israel... our God will continue to bless us.. the minute we turn our back.. we'll probably be looking at the same situation jew haters are in.. Gods wrath.
Faithfulservant

Have I got you correctly, that you believe that you should support the State of Israel as a Religious obligation, despite its actions?

Could you perhaps explain why you takethis point of view.

Peace

Have you ever read the bible? I dont think so.. if you had you would not need to ask that question..

Gentiles would not have salvation if it were not for Israel.. We would not have had it if Israel had not denied Jesus.. which is why they didnt accept Him.. It was Gods plan to give ALL the opportunity to come to Him. But they will return to Him and the playing field is being set up in the middle east as we speak.. Even the president of Iran is fulfilling the bibles prophecies by going forward with the nukes and allying with Russia which has never been done before in the history of this world.. yet its in the bible. All the countries that hate Israel right now are the ones that the bible prophesizes will come against them..According to the bible... all of the countries that encircle Israel are going to attack at one time in which God steps in and destroys.. the bible says that not one person will side with Israel which is why God steps in... that includes the US... The fact that Israel is finally occupying the land which God gave them is a bible prophecy fulfilled. God wrath comes down on all those that come against Israel and according to the book of ezekiel its an ugly mess.

Anyways the bible clearly states that He blesses those that bless the apple of His eye His chosen people... It also warns those that come against those same people.. all you have to do is look at history and see the blessing of those and the ones that arent blessed... in regards to Israel...

So yes.. those of my faith have a religious obligation but its more than that.. God has given us a deep love for the welfare of those people..they can keep denying Jesus Christ as their messiah and we still feel that love. Its a spiritual thing. If it were not for them.. I would not be saved.

Have you ever read the bible? I dont think so.. if you had you would not need to ask that question..
I have not read it all but a fair amount.

I think that your implied claim that anyone who has read The Bible would immediately accept that the modern State of Israel should be supported is patronising and false.

There are many Christians who active support the Palestinian cause and not only Palestinian Christians.

Gentiles would not have salvation if it were not for Israel.
We only have salvation from God, not Israel nor any other country

. We would not have had it if Israel had not denied Jesus.. which is why they didnt accept Him.. It was Gods plan to give ALL the opportunity to come to Him. But they will return to Him and the playing field is being set up in the middle east as we speak.. Even the president of Iran is fulfilling the bibles prophecies by going forward with the nukes and allying with Russia which has never been done before in the history of this world.. yet its in the bible. All the countries that hate Israel right now are the ones that the bible prophesizes will come against them..According to the bible... all of the countries that encircle Israel are going to attack at one time in which God steps in and destroys.. the bible says that not one person will side with Israel which is why God steps in... that includes the US... The fact that Israel is finally occupying the land which God gave them is a bible prophecy fulfilled. God wrath comes down on all those that come against Israel and according to the book of ezekiel its an ugly mess.

Anyways the bible clearly states that He blesses those that bless the apple of His eye His chosen people... It also warns those that come against those same people.. all you have to do is look at history and see the blessing of those and the ones that arent blessed... in regards to Israel...

So yes.. those of my faith have a religious obligation but its more than that.. God has given us a deep love for the welfare of those people..they can keep denying Jesus Christ as their messiah and we still feel that love. Its a spiritual thing. If it were not for them.. I would not be saved.

Frankly I find your reasoning bizarre and your interpretation of scripture very narrow. The last days have been forcaste in every generations as an immediate occurance and they were mistaken.

Perhaps you could detail the disasters which have befallen the German People as a result of their murder of many of the 'Chosen people'.

I have not read it all but a fair amount.

Then how can you understand what I mean...

I think that your implied claim that anyone who has read The Bible would immediately accept that the modern State of Israel should be supported is patronising and false.

No I was certainly not implying that.. satan can read the bible and he would never support Israel.

There are many Christians who active support the Palestinian cause and not only Palestinian Christians.

I personally dont know any true Christians that support the palestinians over Israel.. There are many who claim the name Christian and are not so... but Im sure you know this.

We only have salvation from God, not Israel nor any other country

Yes of course.. but had there not been the original Olive tree (Israel).. there would be no grafting in of the wild branches which are the gentiles. i will post the scripture for you.

Romans 11:16 For if the firstfruit is holy, the lump is also holy; and if the root is holy, so are the branches. 17 And if some of the branches were broken off, and you, being a wild olive tree, were grafted in among them, and with them became a partaker of the root and fatness of the olive tree, 18 do not boast against the branches. But if you do boast, remember that you do not support the root, but the root supports you. 19 You will say then, "Branches were broken off that I might be grafted in."

Frankly I find your reasoning bizarre and your interpretation of scripture very narrow. The last days have been forcaste in every generations as an immediate occurance and they were mistaken.

Im not surprised you and I are of different beliefs.

Perhaps you could detail the disasters which have befallen the German People as a result of their murder of many of the 'Chosen people'.

Considering Hitler committed suicide.. his nazi officers have been sentenced to death or are hiding... there is no longer a nazi regime period.. If you do not think that Germany is horrified at what they did to the jews then you just need to do some research..

Can't we just be Earthlings.

There are no borders.

There are no countries - just man-made figments of our imagination existing only in the minds of those who subscribe to their myth.

We are all God's children.

Re: Can Muslims be friends with Jews and Christians?

In my personal experience, YES!

But I realize, sadly, that it isn't always that way. So much for my starry-eyed optimism and sincere desire and actual spirit and eye witness. Fluffy stuff, I guess.

InPeace,
InLove

If reality is what you make of it, why not choose all the good stuff?

I intend that the world is a beautiful place!

I intend that all people love each other!

I intend that we are all brothers and sisters!

I'm not an idealist, I'm a realist. This is reality!

Whatever you plan on making your world, that is what it will be.

("...you may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one..."):)

Back