Ancient Hebrew Blessings

Dondi

Reaction score
Ancient Hebrew Blessings

Came upon a program while channel surfing that discussed ancient Hebrew blessing. This speaker, a Christian, and the name escapes me, had been meeting with a certain rabbi and came away with the idea that we can speak Hebrew blessings to our family or situation, much like the Patriachs and thus see change in the lives of those we bless. The guest expalined that he has seen such results as kids getting better grades in school, barren women becoming pregnant, and even healings.

Is there any validity to speaking these blessings, or are they just meant to be a platitude to others like "God bless you"?

Can you give a little more context about what blessings are being referred to? Does this refer to the berachot, the blessings, that are said for different daily activities? Is it about spontaneous prayer? Do you know anything about the background of the rabbi?

Jewish theology related to prayer and its efficacy is extremely diverse, and the answers run the typical gamut of "prayer effects you" on the one end to "prayer effects God" (this isn't stated so directly of course) on the other but certainly there is an idea that there's a certain power and significance to the Hebrew language, the holy tongue, which gets more or less emphasis, or sometimes a different twist on the emphasis, depending on the circle of people you're speaking to.

Dauer

Can you give a little more context about what blessings are being referred to? Does this refer to the berachot, the blessings, that are said for different daily activities? Is it about spontaneous prayer? Do you know anything about the background of the rabbi?

I think he means the blessings that a father gives to an eldest son for example... like the type of blessing that Jacob swindled Esau out of having from Abraham.

I think he means the blessings that a father gives to an eldest son for example... like the type of blessing that Jacob swindled Esau out of having from Abraham.

That's one example. On the other hand, Noah curse Canaan to be Shem and Japheth's servant after Ham (Canaan's father) saw Noah's nakedness.

What I'm looking for is examples of blessings having a ripple effect on the following generations.

Like Jacob, who blessed Ephraim over Manasseh, even though Ephraim was younger son of Joseph, which is reminescent of what Jacob tricked Isaac in doing.

If one should bless a younger child over that older child today, would that have a predestined effect on the outcomes for each child?

you have to remember that a normal human being doing something is slightly less effective than a person of enormous spiritual power (like abraham) doing the same thing.

b'shalom

bananabrain

Perhaps not on a grand scale, but is the principle the same?

according to some. the more mystically inclined are more likely to consider the power of the hebrew language itself, combined with the appropriate level of intention, to make actual changes in the dynamics of the higher worlds. however, this is by no means everyone's opinion.

b'shalom

bananabrain

Back