Do you believe?

Do you believe litterally....

• that G-d created the Universe in 7 days?

Votes: 5 50.0%
  • that there was a garden of eden as described?

Votes: 7 70.0%
  • that Noah built an ark and saved all the animals, and his family repopulated the earth?

Votes: 7 70.0%
  • that Eve was created from Adam's rib?

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • that Moses brought 5 complete books down from the mountain?

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • that our universe is less than 10,000 years old?

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • that the sea parted and allowed them to pass and then drowned the rest?

Votes: 9 90.0%
  • that G-d told Abraham to sacrifice his son and he was going to?

Votes: 9 90.0%
  • that the ages of the people in years is correct?

• that the storis of Joseph and David are actual historical facts as presented?

• Total voters

wil

UNeyeR1
Veteran Member
Reaction score
This should be interesting, simple agreement or not.

Your individual responses will not display on the overall results.

It seems many stick to the letter...and think others should as well.

But then I wonder how many of us in the Abrahamic faiths do.

Anyone whose religion utilizes the the Torah, or the Old Testament may answer.

I would assume those that don't would all be answering no, so please comment if you will, but don't answer the poll.

This should be interesting, simple agreement or not.

Your individual responses will not display on the overall results.

It seems many stick to the letter...and think others should as well.

But then I wonder how many of us in the Abrahamic faiths do.

Anyone whose religion utilizes the the Torah, or the Old Testament may answer.

I would assume those that don't would all be answering no, so please comment if you will, but don't answer the poll.

What are seven days to God...?

What are seven days to God...?
Good question, but I would think that would be a non-literal interpretation. There are those that say the real translation should be ages, or aeons, yet which bibles have modified the word days? Literally a day is a day, a year is a year. We are talking I think about this planet and this solar system...

Good question, but I would think that would be a non-literal interpretation. There are those that say the real translation should be ages, or aeons, yet which bibles have modified the word days? Literally a day is a day, a year is a year. We are talking I think about this planet and this solar system...

But you forget what God said. "My days are not your days, my thoughts are not your thoughts, my ways, are not your ways..."

At the risk of being "frustrating", I find it difficult to answer the poll, because in order to do so, it requires me to distinguish between spiritual history and literal or scientific history (for lack of more appropriate language). In other words, to me and I am guessing some others, there is as much or more reality in what we call the "symbolic" than there is in the way humankind records events.

I know I sound crazy to some, but I really do think that it is almost impossible to condense ancient history down to one or another way of interpretation. However, I do think that the essence of the message is conveyed either way.

2 c.

InPeace,
InLove

Namaste all, To me, to my understanding.

If you can say, I litterally believe that G-d created the universe in 7 days, without a, but.... Than that is litteral word for word belief in the bible...as millions have for thousands of years.

But if one wants to toss in some buts...some allegory, some interpretation you all know darn well that is fine with me...as that is fully where I am at...

But then I find it interesting how this one is litteral..but this one is allegory...and this has a different meaning...and this law you must follow...and this law doesn't really mean that...and that is a parable...and that has deeper meaning....

What is good for the goose is good for the gander is all I am saying. I am no different from the fundamentalists...we all interpret...it is just where that line lays...and some say it can only go so far and usually as far as they have gone.

I understand, wil--and I was thinking that my remarks would generally upset those who would say I was "picking and choosing". It's amazing to me that I get this reaction from many sides--not just from the political fundamental side, but from the secular "left" as well (again, I am lacking sufficient language).

Do I pick and choose? In the eyes of many, I'm sure. But again, one must exist within the reality one knows.

(Edited to add--just saw your last comment. You worry too much.;) And I love you.)

InPeace,
InLove

[FONT=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]2 peter 3:8[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.[/FONT]
So Technically would still be a literal interpretation.

Namaste all, To me, to my understanding.

If you can say, I litterally believe that G-d created the universe in 7 days, without a, but.... Than that is litteral word for word belief in the bible...as millions have for thousands of years.

I literally believe that God Almighty created the world in seven days...His days, not ours. It's His Word, not ours. No buts, ifs, ands, or anything else.

No exceptions. :eek:

v/r

Joshua

Quahom1 said:
I literally believe that God Almighty created the world in seven days...His days, not ours. It's His Word, not ours. No buts, ifs, ands, or anything else.

No exceptions. :eek:

I like it. Makes a lot of sense to me, whether I am inside or outside the proverbial box or circle or what have you.

It is honest and it is timeless, and it leaves room for the spirit and the brain to work together.

InPeace,
InLove

[FONT=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]2 peter 3:8[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.[/FONT]
So Technically would still be a literal interpretation.
Hmmm...so G-d created the universe in seven thousand years? or would that be 7 million years?

Also quite interesting that this question must have been argued and bantied about enough 2000 years ago to create this update! Wonder what Peter would say today. I think they would all be updating...

Hmmm...so G-d created the universe in seven thousand years? or would that be 7 million years?

Also quite interesting that this question must have been argued and bantied about enough 2000 years ago to create this update! Wonder what Peter would say today. I think they would all be updating...

could be 7 million or 7 trillion zillion X eternity.

yes I agree. people need to update just about all of it....especially the dogmatic crap & the ITY & ISMs need to vanish.

here are my answers.

that G-d created the Universe in 7 days?
No

that there was a garden of eden as described?
Yes

that Noah built an ark and saved all the animals, and his family repopulated the earth?
Yes

that Eve was created from Adam's rib?
Yes and No

that Moses brought 5 complete books down from the mountain?
2 tablets of stone

that our universe is less than 10,000 years old?
No

that the sea parted and allowed them to pass and then drowned the rest?
Yes

that G-d told Abraham to sacrifice his son and he was going to?
Yes

that the ages of the people in years is correct?
For the most part, Yes. they are Jewish years.

that the stories of Joseph and David are actual historical facts as presented?
Absolutely Yes

The OT is more accurate than the NT. Acts is the purest book of the NT. There is enough evidence to convince me the RCC tampered with the NT a tad bit, but they did not do a very good job of hiding it.

Have a nice Holiday, Wil.

that G-d created the Universe in 7 days?
No.

that there was a garden of eden as described?
No.

that Noah built an ark and saved all the animals, and his family repopulated the earth?
lol...No.

that Eve was created from Adam's rib?
lol... No.

that Moses brought 5 complete books down from the mountain?
No.

that our universe is less than 10,000 years old?
No..

that the sea parted and allowed them to pass and then drowned the rest?
No.

that G-d told Abraham to sacrifice his son and he was going to?
No.

that the ages of the people in years is correct?
No.

that the stories of Joseph and David are actual historical facts as presented?
No.

:D Hope that helps your research.

It's Not surprising that:
"that the sea parted and allowed them to pass and then drowned the rest?"
got 100%.... The exodus, most Christians and Jews (I think), would believe is the theological heart of the Tanak/Old Testament.

Both Judaism and Christianity are historic faiths... They depend on a historical kernel... God breaks into history and saves.

It's not so much the exact historical facts that are important, but that God delivered the people at a point in history from slavery and cuel bondage.

From my point of view Q 8 by far the most important.

Blessings

[This post apart from the bit in quotes is not meant to be in Itallics, but I can't get it to turn off.]

Back