Revelation: the book

earl

?
Reaction score
I took notice of bannabrain's good historical response to the thread re "temple location found" in the "regular:D " Christianity thread which sort of related to traditional interpretations of the Book of Revelation. BB's apt response reminds us off the dangers of literalist interpretations of scripture. So thought I'd offer up my non-literalist interpretation of Revelation. I'm no biblical historian or scholar but read somewhere that the factions that wanted to make Jesus the Jewish messiah had in mind the hope that his arrival would change things from the outside-in. That is he would lead in someway a political/military revolution which would forge a new socio-political reality for oppressed people. Instead of the outside-in answer-the military one, Jesus offered an inside-out one: as you win the battle waging within you you can become that change you seek to sort of quote Ghandi.

So to Revelation. I see that book as chock full of metaphor and allegory-not a literalist prediction of specific external events to come. I won't go into a symbol by symbol discussion right now-would take more typing and time than I want to give now. Perhaps we can collectively use this thread for just such a discussion. But here are a few. First the return of the Christ. While I don't discount the possibility of a physical return of that manifestation, I believe the book is discussing the coming of the Christ individually for each of us-that is Christ seeks to be born in each of us in every moment of our lives and in our death. But ala Jungian thought which speaks of the "brighter the light, the darker the shadow," the more we seek to embrace the light of the Son the more we are called to deal with our internal demons-our shadow self.That must be purged/transformed before fuller realization & that old "Anti-Christ" doesn't give up without a battle. The seven seal spoken of to me represent the traditional 7 chakra system in Hinduism whereby as spiritual realization advances, each of the 7 chakras are engaged and in the process of opening to allow the flow of Divine grace to come through, the individual often faces the personal demons" associated with each chakra that require the purging I spoke of. There are more symbols in this book probably worthy of more speculation so if there's interest we can hopefully continue that dialogue here. But at any rate, the less we project our own battles onto others and the broader world stage and wage them within ourselves, the more likely I think we are to facilitate the "second coming" and maybe make the world a better place. The collective dangers we face seem to all be man-made whether you're talking about the scarey notion that the Middle East could flare into world war III or hosts of natural disasters triggered by global warming-it ain't God's or a supernatural Anti-Christ's doing. It's ours and ours to fix. Of course, can't rule out the possibility that John wrote that book under the influence of some hallucinogenic substance I suppose as it kind of reads like an acid trip.:D
Take care, earl

Hi Earl –

A couple of historical pointers ... more than half of Revelation is lifted from the Book of Daniel, the Nostradamus-like prophetic readings of the text are more often to do with the reader being unaware of the historical reference and timeframe rather than the author's intention of informing a future audience.

The Book was also written for a people about to suffer persecution (as Daniel wrote for his people in exile), so the primary focus was to offer support and encouragement during the approaching tribulation, hence the strong apocalyptic and eschatalogical theme.

The symbology then breaks down into universal and specific – 'seven', for example, being a universal, so it's not surprising that seals, chakras, levels of the Astral Light, steps on the Ray of Creation, etc, should be counted in sevens (the rainbow is a well-attested 'fudge' in that regard).

Thomas

Wow--no idea what you just said, Thomas. (Okay, a little idea.) Anyway, it just sounds like a project worth pursuing. Got my antennae working!

InPeace,
InLove

hmm...(feels woozy, grabs for the nearest Bible to steady himself...still listening)

Something about rainbow fudge, I think, Prober....

InPeace,
InLove

Deadheads always made the grilled cheese sandwiches that they sold in concert parking lots with RAINBOW COLORED BREAD man ! Just thought you'd all like to know that.

flow....:cool:

Deadheads always made the grilled cheese sandwiches that they sold in concert parking lots with RAINBOW COLORED BREAD man ! Just thought you'd all like to know that.

flow....:cool:
No chance any of it was a bit moldy, perhaps? ;)

Or did you hafta pay extra for that kind ... :D

~zag

Revelation seems to be where almost all of the "Heaven" imagery comes from. As Thomas says, it is a book written in an apocolyptic genre similar to Daniel. I think that Revelation was written by a gnostic. I think that it puts forth a gnostic cosmology. But I think that the events in Revelation relate solely to things happening at the time it was written. It is an apocolyptical tirade, with gnostic, sort of proto-kabbalistic political overtones.

There's a story about Martin Luther that I find really interesting. It seems that he wasn't going to include Revelation in his Bible, but when he saw the wood cut illustrations of the beasts with papal crowns he couldn't resist the propaganda value.

Chris

No chance any of it was a bit moldy, perhaps? ;)

Or did you hafta pay extra for that kind ... :D

~zag
Put this one on the ice box. I don't believe he's ever had this short of a post or this few smiley's....and I can't imagine the incredible willpower given the the thread topic:rolleyes:

Revelation seems to be where almost all of the "Heaven" imagery comes from. As Thomas says, it is a book written in an apocolyptic genre similar to Daniel. I think that Revelation was written by a gnostic. I think that it puts forth a gnostic cosmology. But I think that the events in Revelation relate solely to things happening at the time it was written. It is an apocolyptical tirade, with gnostic, sort of proto-kabbalistic political overtones.

There's a story about Martin Luther that I find really interesting. It seems that he wasn't going to include Revelation in his Bible, but when he saw the wood cut illustrations of the beasts with papal crowns he couldn't resist the propaganda value.

Chris

Is it true that Martin Luther died in the WC?

Another viewpoint, of course, would be that the writer was well aware of earlier writings and tied his book to them. It seems that many NT characters, including Jesus, did this.

Congratz, Zag, on the new posting style! :)

I don't know what y'all think about the "Decoding the Past" series on the History Channel (or even how many of you have access), but yesterday, in anticipation of this study idea, I started re-reading Revelation. Just about the time I opened it up, a program came on about it on the History Channel. Synchronicity? Sign? Coincidence?

Anyway, it was interesting (both the reading and the program). I am trying to read the book prayerfully (as always), but this time I am semi-ignoring the set of study notes to which I have usually referred. I am attempting to read it from a totally objective context, but it is difficult, if not impossible! Maybe the best I can do is employ different angles. I find that the more information I receive about the ancient Hebrew customs of preservation, the more I am intrigued by the symbolism and historical implications in this book.

By the way, what is the name of this book? Revelations? The Revelation? The Revelation of St. John? The Book of Revelations? There are so many different ways I have seen the title written. I know, context...right? Just thought I'd ask, anyway. Seems relevant. Or "Revelant"?:rolleyes: Maybe "revenant"? :)

Thanks earl, for this thread and the thought behind it. Looking for some refreshing perspective. The idea of a somewhat shamanistic approach to seemingly mystic literature seems totally appropriate to me.

Maybe Thomas will punctuate our non-literalistic endeavor with some historical study notes that may apply, as well, and of course, I think he did volunteer to bring the refreshments....

InPeace,
InLove

As to shamanism-nearly all shamanistic approaches everywhere in the world featured use of psychoactive substances if they were available locally. I actually tried to do web searching to see what if any shmanistic traditions existed in Palestine at that time & could find nothing. But to me the book of Revelation does resemble the expereince of a "shamanistic journey" facilitated by psychoactive subtances.:) earl

Hi earl and everyone:

As is often my habit, I may be about to highlight my current level of limited understanding, but I have a question. And I am a little embarassed about asking, considering those recent discoveries I've mentioned here and there about my personal ancestry and worship inclinations. Sometimes, but not always, I think the closer one really identifies with a particular subject, the less he or she really knows how to talk it about it. :confused: :)

My question is: When we talk about a shaministic path, does it always involve something like what we today call "mind-altering substances"? I am thinking maybe not. Actually, I am saying that I don't think it necessarily does. But does anyone know?

The reason I ask is to more fully understand the basis of our study here, and the term "shamanistic". That said, I'll go ahead and offer the following::eek:

(It's only one little blushing emoticon, because I am really only slightly embarassed!)

InPeace,
InLove

Here's an addendum to my above post. :)

I was in the shower, and it comes to me that the term is more likely "shamanic". Heh-heh. :eek: No wonder I was having trouble finding my answers!

Oh, well. After all, we do have "synchronistic". ;) I enjoy thinking outside the boundaries of language.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it....

InPeace,
InLove

Traditionally, you could say that a tribe's shaman played the role of a priest in the sense that it was the shaman that did visionary journeying on behalf of individuals or the tribe as opposed to all the members of the tribe. Again traditionally, those journies were facilitated by altered states of consciousness, such as provided by rapid drumming and perhaps other practices including fasting, chanting etc. Native Amercian tribes of the southwest-some anyway- made use of peyote, etc.. Lakota of the Great Plains in a sense used pain as in their Sun Dance but also sweat lodges. South American tribes had a variety of psychedelic substances-see for eg. ayahuasca. Siberian shamans occasionally made use of substances as did shamans of ancient Northern Europe. But I don't do fasting, pain, or psychoactive drugs.:) earl

Hi all -

Hi Earl:
My last semi-facetious comment re whether the Book of Revelation was inspired by psychedelics got me curious...

My view, influenced from my Hermetic days, is that psychtropics came into use by the shaman when they lost the ability to 'do their thing' naturally. I do hold, however, that the veil that separates the worlds grows more dense and opaque, so that's no fault of the shaman as such, but I am a believer that the body can manufacture what it requires and with the right discipline and training, you can get there 'naturally' ...

With regard to Revelations can't say about the psychedelics ... but would question certain assumptions ... such as the idea that because the book is so fantastic, it has to be drug-induced, which is no argument at all, really.

I have, I will admit, a profound skepticism in this regard. I grew up in a time when LSD was freely available, and anyone who did or said anything vaguely original or extraordinary had to be a head ... because it was impossible to conceive of someone who was 'straight' being original or extraordinary on their own account (how 'cool', 'loving' and fantastically 'elitist' we were!). And the vision induced was not as arbitrary as people say, you're psychological state going in had a great part to play in where you went, as it were ... I think the shaman is equivalent to the therapist today, it's all psychodynamics. A dangerous game, anyway, as Pandora's Box informs us...

So in short, I think the claim that because certain plants grew in the region, that explains 'Revelations', as being something of a cop out and a cheap shot.

The 'apocalyptic' is a genre of Hebraic literature that arose after the fall of the Hebrew nation state. We have Daniel, but before him there are the visions of the prophets, Ezekiel, Enoch, etc., and there are other apocryphal works, and perhaps works that are lost to us, but circulating at the time, and the author of Revelations would have had some if not all of this material to draw on. As Revelations leans so heavily on Daniel, was Daniel a 'head' too? And must we assume that all the visions of all the religious traditions had recourse to psychotropics? The simpler solution, to me, is in this case the author drew on an existing genre when inspired to write for his audience, and the immemdiate source would be Daniel.

Hi Chris:
I think that Revelation was written by a gnostic.
It depends on what you mean by'gnostic'? The theology is Christian in the sense of ultimately it's not as dualistic as the gnostic sects of its time, and the cosmology is, I think, down to Daniel? Here we get into difficulties ... supposing elements of gnostic cosmology are drawn from older, Hebraic sources? I mean the angelology of the Jews was heavily influenced by Zoroastrainism, the 'religion-of-state' when the author(s) of Daniel was active ... the more we uncover the past, the more we see traces of the exchange and influence of ideas ... eg the Patristics were heavily influenced by Greek philosophy, but their fidelity to Christ is never questioned.

But I think that the events in Revelation relate solely to things happening at the time it was written. It is an apocolyptical tirade, with gnostic, sort of proto-kabbalistic political overtones.
Absolutely. It was written to an audience coming under increasing persecution.

Hi Prober:
Is it true that Martin Luther died in the WC?
Not sure ... but he spent a lot of time there ... the man had problems ...

Hi InLove:
Books in Scripture often take their titles from the first words, so this should be "The Revelation of Jesus Christ..." there is no claim to authorship in the text, and although tradition ascribes it to the Apostle John, scholarship shows that to be a slim claim. Sso it's usually called Revelations or by the Greek Apocalypse.

I think he did volunteer to bring the refreshments....
OK, but sorry guys, 'shrooms are off the menu, an' if you want snails, then you can round 'em up yourselves. (Anybody seen "Delicatesen?"

Back