Is a Film Christian if There is No Christ?

BlaznFattyz

Reaction score
What exactly makes a Christian film?

That was one of the questions addressed during two seminars at the National Religious Broadcasters’ (NRB) National Convention, the largest nationally and internationally recognized event dedicated solely to assist those in the field of Christian communications.

The two seminars at this weekend’s annual event also discussed how film is involved in Christianity and how films are supposed to impact society.

The speakers at each of the sessions had fairly opposite takes on what needs to be in a Christian film and whether a film is Christian if it does not talk specifically about Christ...

Cont'd

I saw the worse movie ever, once. It was called "the gospel of Judas" where Jesus was portrayed by a blond guy with blue eyes, and he was the only person with clean clothes on (he had white robs while everyone else looked like they played in mud). It was so weird, he looked like a sufer. In fact, I think he had on sufer beeds? Anway, it was sooooo far from the Bible. Its like the Bible was here <--- and the story line was all the way ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------> here. Judas made Jesus give him the holy spirt after explaining to Jesus that they need to beat up the Romans and take power. Jesus was like "no Judas, I cant until my father said I can," and Judas was like "are you crazy Jesus? You must give us your power now that we might kill the Romans and raise to power." Next thing you know, they cut the scene and then they showed Jesus trembling uncontrolable in a room (he looked like he was having a fit), and he was giving "power" to the 12 disciples. This movie came out around the time of "the passion of the christ" and I guess NBC was trying to make a lot of money, thinking Christians would watch it. The movied sucked so bad and I dont think NBC showed it since?

What were they thinking?

For the contemplative, there's a film out called "Into The Great Silence":
Into Great Silence

There's a review below, but Jesus doesn't star in the film, so I guess that's out, too.

"Nestled deep in the postcard-perfect French Alps, the Grande Chartreuse is considered one of the world’s most ascetic monasteries. In 1984, German filmmaker Philip Gröning wrote to the Carthusian order for permission to make a documentary about them. They said they would get back to him. Sixteen years later, they were ready. Gröning, sans crew or artificial lighting, lived in the monks’ quarters for six months—filming their daily prayers, tasks, rituals and rare outdoor excursions. This transcendent, closely observed film seeks to embody a monastery, rather than simply depict one—it has no score, no voiceover and no archival footage. What remains is stunningly elemental: time, space and light. One of the most mesmerizing and poetic chronicles of spirituality ever created, INTO GREAT SILENCE dissolves the border between screen and audience with a total immersion into the hush of monastic life. More meditation than documentary, it’s a rare, transformative theatrical experience for all."
Zeitgeist Films | Into Great Silence

I'm going to see it for my birthday! What kind of guy celebrates his birthday by sitting in the dark for three hours, watching a silent movie?

Thomas

Enjoy your birthday, Thomas (whenever it is). I can totally relate. :cool:

I suggest a matinee on a weekday when the theatre is virtually empty. Love it!

InPeace,
InLove

Namaste Thomas,

I must be dense....I cannot traverse their site to find out where the film is playng or how to by the DVD....Into Great Silence.

Pax Wil –

It's not you, they do seem somewhat obtuse.

The film is playing only in a couple of theatres here in the UK, although 1 in London until the 7th March – my birthday is the 5th. I was just about to post a link to UK theatres ... but you're in the US so not much help there.

Not sure about the DVD either – I don't think there's a version out yet ...

Thomas

Maybe I'll pop over to you then ...

There's a Video Artist we really like – Bill Viola ... (oh, this is spooky, but I'll get to that) ... who was having a 'world tour' - the USA and Amsterdam, so we flew to Holland for the weekend!
Welcome to the official BILL VIOLA website

The spooky bit is in reference to a piece called:
I Do Not Know What It Is I Am Like

A few years ago my sister, a sculptress, fell from a gantry and cracked open the back of her head. She walked into the kitchen of her house (gantry was outside) looking like something out of a slasher-movie, and her husband bundled her into the car and drove straight to the local hospital which, luckily for her, has the country's most advanced cranial injury unit ... all the way she kept turning to him and asking: "what is it you think that I've done?" ...

Talking of art, if you're into such stuff, another great guy is James Turrell
Art:21 . James Turrell . Biography . Documentary Film | PBS

BTW ... I've initiated a discussion on the Philosophy Board under the title of 'The Role of the Body' which I think will pick up some of the ideas we've been discussing.

Thomas

Hi InLove –

I know! Quiet ... lights down ... relax ... engage ... be taken somewhere else ...

I remember watching '2001 - A Space Oddessy' at a local 'flea-pit' when it came out, and I was a lot younger. Too young to be stoned, which was how you're supposed to watch it, apparently, but I enjoyed it all the same.

I recall a nearly-empty cinema, and when the lights went up, there was a little mouse about three seats along, eating something ...

I also recall watching 'Easy Rider' in much the same circumstances, and when the lights went up there was a young man trying to comfort his girlfriend, who was in floods of tears ...

... hey-ho ... distant days ... oh, sorry, wandered off-topic. Apologies, Mr B.

Thomas

I remember watching '2001 - A Space Oddessy' at a local 'flea-pit' when it came out, and I was a lot younger. Too young to be stoned, which was how you're supposed to watch it, apparently, but I enjoyed it all the same.

... hey-ho ... distant days ... oh, sorry, wandered off-topic. Apologies, Mr B.

Thomas
Ah, 2001-never watched it stoned (or under the influence of anything stronger than tea) and It's my favourite film. Might come under the remit of this thread as well-as it certainly has more than a hint of spiritual quest about it (esp if you know about A.C.Clarke).

Pax Wil –

It's not you, they do seem somewhat obtuse.

The film is playing only in a couple of theatres here in the UK, although 1 in London until the 7th March – my birthday is the 5th. I was just about to post a link to UK theatres ... but you're in the US so not much help there.

Not sure about the DVD either – I don't think there's a version out yet ...

Thomas
Hah, mine is the 6th

What exactly makes a Christian film?

That was one of the questions addressed during two seminars at the National Religious Broadcasters’ (NRB) National Convention, the largest nationally and internationally recognized event dedicated solely to assist those in the field of Christian communications.

The two seminars at this weekend’s annual event also discussed how film is involved in Christianity and how films are supposed to impact society.

The speakers at each of the sessions had fairly opposite takes on what needs to be in a Christian film and whether a film is Christian if it does not talk specifically about Christ...

Cont'd

I'd like to point out something. In "music" if it is a Gospel song or something to do with Christian bands (repetition of Jesus is Lord over and over again), I immediately change the channel. But if it is a - I don't know - country song for example, telling a story about a woman losing control on an icy highway with a baby in the back seat, and alot on her mind, or a little girl hiding behind a sofa while mom and dad kill eachother, or a simple man dreaming he stood before the pearly gates wondering how they could possibly let him in...and they all hint at Jesus as the hero, but never say His name...then I am so wrapped into the songs I can't get them out of my head for the rest of the day.

I think the best Christian movies and music are the subtle ones, not the in your face ones. Just like God...:)

I can think of quite a few (films):

Ice Age
Flika
If you could see what I hear
The Guardian
Star Wars
It's my life
ET
Always
Jurasic Park
The Piano
Major League
The Fourth Magi
The replacements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quahom1
I think the best Christian movies and music are the subtle ones, not the in your face ones. Just like God...:)

Can I get an AMEN!

I feel the exact same way about witnessing...

honey and vinegar...oh yeah, already said that..

I cant amen with you, sorry. But, I do have a question: Are you guys part of the Joel Olsteen version of Christanity?

Hey, Quahom! We the guys! Pisces rule!

Wil: Amen!

My view: Up in Heaven, its matinee time on a rainy Thursday afternoon. All's quiet, so the guys decide to chill out and take in a movie. They flit over to the MetaMoviePlex, and the Dude says, "what's on?"
Pete says "The Greatest Story Ever Told."
Dude says, "what's it about?"
Pete says, "You."
"Nah," Dude says, "I know what happens in that one. Anything else?"
"Yep," says John, "This one, "(insert title here)", it's a girl-guy thing about a couple who heard what you said, and took it on board."
"Really?" Dude says, "that sounds interesting ..."

Thomas
(Oh, heaven forgive me!)

It's that thing again - Do we put a picture of Jesus on the wall and polish the glass every day or do we start practising what he preached?

ET - yes that's the classic. The Easter story all over again. Not to forget Harry Potter of course (controversial!). My favourites include The Lion King and Pleasantville - oh controversial again! There must be more but I can't bring them to mind.

I cant amen with you, sorry. But, I do have a question: Are you guys part of the Joel Olsteen version of Christanity?
As usual I can't speak for anyone else but I don't know the Joel of which you speak. I typically read the King James Version, but also compare it to many others.

(Oh, heaven forgive me!)
lol, look at creation, the platypus, old faithful, antartica, constellations, G-d has a sense of humor.

Quote:
Funny. I don't recall asking you to "amen" with me.

Joel Osteen is considered to be part of the Word of Faith movement, which has drawn criticism from many in the Christian community.[15]
On a 2005 broadcast of Larry King Live, Joel Osteen refused to say that Jesus Christ was the only way to get to Heaven, instead saying, "Only God can look at somebody's heart."[16]
In late 2006, Osteen again appeared on Larry King Live choosing to clarify his prior statement, saying he believes a personal relationship with Christ is the only way to Heaven.[17] Osteen also said he chooses to teach about the goodness of God rather than sin. [18]
Al Mohler, president of the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary and board member of Focus on the Family, has publicly criticized Osteen for what he calls a weak stance on homosexuality, calling him a "pandering prophet" and not presenting a "clear declaration of biblical truth".[19]
Osteen has also been criticized for preaching a prosperity gospel. [20]

Insults only work on people who allow them to, Silas.

v/r

Joshua

Back