Star Trek Thread

pfw

interested
Reaction score
Seems to be a popular choice for discussion- and good practice for good natured debate- so thought I'd start a seperate thread rather than highjacking others.
Which version of Star Trek is your favourite and why?
Mine's the original cast movies, then DS9, Then 'classic' Trek, Next Gen, Voyager, Next Gen movies-Enterprise was pretty bad apart from the 3rd series with the Zindi/weopons of mass destruction (didn't say a thing about subtle).
The Original Cast movies were total 'space opera'-larger than life, fun, still held the series morality/message but was just BIGGER. (and the Enterprise A looked sooooo cool). (just don't get me started on how they killed Kirk in Generations-That's not how you kill a hero/legend/modern icon-although was funny when someone in the audience said "bridge on the captain") Star Trek 2 has to be my fav ST movie-a slug fest between the galaxies two heavy weights... So good the next Gen ripped it off (sorry, paid homage to it) for Nemisis).
DS9 was just class from start to finish-what with it's interwoven plots, everything/choice had a consequence. The characters argued, disagreed, lied,cheated... they were human.
Classic- The Kirk, Spock, McCoy tri- some one pointed out that if you took all three characters and squish them together you get (a mess) a fully rounded character.
Next Gen started SOOOO BAD it hurt- then Riker grew a beard, the Borg turned up and Pikard got some b*lls (what idiot put families on an exploration ship and a diplomat incharge of a ship armed to the teeth? (and since when was 'Boldly going were no one has gone before' been defined as shutteling between star bases?)
I kinda like Voyager- I think that's cos I always liked The African Queen and Jayneway reminded me of Cathrine Hepburn in that film (Seven of Nine helped...)
Enterprise; I refuse to comment...
Fav Character?
Kirk in the movies- he was flawed, growing older and still a hero...:cool:
Seven Of Nine- that might be hormones talking.:p
O'brian- Treks 'every man' and damn funny at times.:)
Garrak-just cos he was so sneaky.:eek:

I'll leave it there for now and just see were this goes.

Live long and prosper (or shoot to kill, your choice)
Phil

Hi Phil--

Uh-oh. I'm in trouble now, aren't I? I was wondering how long before one of you S.T. heavy-hitters was going to do this! I actually thought about it myself, and then decided that my education was too incomplete. Guess I got some homework to do. :)

I have my fave T.V. episodes, but I think I'll wait and see where this goes. I will let the Academy grads lead the way. But once challenged, I never forget....:D

Looking forward to what I am sure will be a long-lived and prosperous discussion.

InPeace,
InLove
Deb

Last edited:
Never mind the last part of my edit above, lol--see what I mean about my education? I hear the Academy is offering a class in 21st century English dialects and how the similarities and differences effected communication on ancient computer screens. :eek: :D

What does the Starship Enterprise and toilet paper have in common?

drum roll please....

Both hang around Uranus and wipe out Klingons...

:D ;)

InLove-you're great. I just love it when you post on anything (hummm-might have to go to your thread with that one)
Juantoo-bad,bad joke... Stand in the corner and give yourself a good talking to... Still... 'How many Klingons does it take to change a light bulb?'-answers on a post card to;
The Borg
Public Relations Dept
Unimatrix One...

My preacher loves Star Trek, Next Generation or whatever else there is...

Me I never got a hold of it.

Couldn't watch the original series as a kid, or Dr. Who for that matter, couldn't get into Lord of the Rings... Celestine and Carlos Castenada were more up my alley...

So anyway he quotes the mysticism and profundity of science fiction from the pulpit...I of course miss out on the references...

I try every now and then to watch...still can't. The movies...I could take the movies....loved the whale...

Now Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy that was a trilogy I made it through.

Kindest Regards, pfw!

Ah, a Trekkie!

I remember fondly the original series, I remember waiting in excruciating anticipation for the release of the first movie (by far the best, although I regret the "Director's Cut"...the special effects in the original release were far superior.) I remember waiting in anticipation for Next Generation, and grew to associate with the character of Wesley Crusher on a number of levels. Too bad they shipped him off to academy so soon after the series came out. Actually lost interest after that...saw a couple of episodes of DS9 and was thoroughly unimpressed, never even wanted to see any of the others (especially after Genvieve Bujold lost out as the Commander on the Voyager series). I'm sorry, but I will always remember Scott Bakula in Quantum Leap...still can't fathom him as Star Fleet material.

Sadly, I see the Star Trek franchise as a vehicle (pardon the pun) for humanist endeavors, promoting science at the expense of religion. There are facets of culture that, probably of necessity, were glossed over in the original and in Next Generation. I will even go so far as to say that it seemed to me Next Gen was largely a rehash of the original...perhaps one could imply an extension of the mythos as it were, but I didn't really see a great deal of originality. New characters in what seemed canned plots, with predictable outcomes. The movies struggled to get out of that, and to some degree managed to do so. In the process, though, they had to rewrite some of the "history." In the first episode I believe it was of Next Gen, McCoy makes a cameo appearance, which undermines one of the movies. I also seem to recall a history of the development of the warp drive on the original series that had little or nothing to do with Zebulun Pike (or whoever) in the Next Gen movie (Insurrection?). Trivial in the overall mythos, but goofs or gafs just the same.

Anyway, Star Trek is fun, but it isn't worth molding my life around.

Did you ever see the movie "Galaxy Quest" with Tim Allen in the leading role? Cute little spoof on the original Star Trek franchise. :)

BTW, Chief Engineer Mongomery "Scotty" Scott would probably be my favorite character out of all of them. It was a sad day when He passed a few years back.

BTW, Chief Engineer Mongomery "Scotty" Scott would probably be my favorite character out of all of them. It was a sad day when He passed a few years back.

Aye!

Saurian brandy all around - on me.

It's alive... Alive!
and itsch in da bashement of da shience building...

sorry couldn't help myself.

I do remember being at my friends house while Kirk and zulu were walking on some strange planet and they accidently bumped the cardboard cutout of a plant or rock and it shifted... and then another with furbies flying all over.. my laughter and comments got me kicked out of that club rather quickly...

so I found girls...

I do remember being at my friends house while Kirk and zulu were walking on some strange planet and they accidently bumped the cardboard cutout of a plant or rock and it shifted... and then another with furbies flying all over.. my laughter and comments got me kicked out of that club rather quickly...

so I found girls...

furby love you:D

Stop it! You're killing me. Dammit will, I'm a doctor not an elevator!

I liked the one where Gary became a god and could melt people with his gaze (ala) "They didn't like me. They never like me!"

so I found girls...
Ah, I remember the day I discovered girls to-best and worst day of my life (lol).
Yeah, Star Trek can be pretty laugthable at times-different strokes for different folks.;)

Kindest Regards, pfw!

Ah, a Trekkie!

I'm sorry, but I will always remember Scott Bakula in Quantum Leap...still can't fathom him as Star Fleet material.

Sadly, I see the Star Trek franchise as a vehicle (pardon the pun) for humanist endeavors, promoting science at the expense of religion.
Anyway, Star Trek is fun, but it isn't worth molding my life around.

Did you ever see the movie "Galaxy Quest" with Tim Allen in the leading role? Cute little spoof on the original Star Trek franchise. :)

quote]
Nope, not a Trekie- just know what I enjoy when I enjoy it. Have a soft spot for ST as it was my 'introduction' to Sci-Fi and fantasy.

Enterprise realy was bad....

I'd say there was a 'spiritual' element to Star Trek , certainly it sometimes asks interesting questions-but all versions are produts of their time. Don't think any film or tv series is worth molding your life around.

Galaxy Quest- a work of pure genius.

17th Angel said:
Star trek, is a terrible film/tv series.... Oh lets invent a new alien!! Awesome... Here glue this fold onto someones forhead... Ah!! A new alien! lol...

Star Trek is a trip. :)

Back