Star Trek Thread

One more thing, If you ever approach with that tone again, you will understand fully what kind of language black people were forced to learn in country :mad:
:confused:

For one, my previous post was not written with any attitude whatsoever.

For two, I think certain persons of my acquaintance delberately look for cause to accuse, even if there is no cause one is invented.

For three, my heritage includes race(s) that were dealt far more terrible atrocities than blacks ever were. At least black people were allowed to survive. My heritage includes people who were slaughtered for sport! Slaughtered by disease. Slaughtered by starvation. Slaughtered by slave labor in gold and silver mines. Slaughtered by forced marches thousands of miles from their homes. Slaughtered by "indian hunters" and military campaigns as my forebears were driven from their ancestral homes and lands.

So yes, good friend, and I do count you as a friend, if ever you wish to take up the subject, let me know and I will be only too happy to compare notes.

BTW, this post does have just a little teensy hint of attitude.

:confused:

For one, my previous post was not written with any attitude whatsoever.

For two, I think certain persons of my acquaintance delberately look for cause to accuse, even if there is no cause one is invented.

For three, my heritage includes race(s) that were dealt far more terrible atrocities than blacks ever were. At least black people were allowed to survive. My heritage includes people who were slaughtered for sport! Slaughtered by disease. Slaughtered by starvation. Slaughtered by slave labor in gold and silver mines. Slaughtered by forced marches thousands of miles from their homes. Slaughtered by "indian hunters" and military campaigns as my forebears were driven from their ancestral homes and lands.

So yes, good friend, and I do count you as a friend, if ever you wish to take up the subject, let me know and I will be only too happy to compare notes.

Pick the subject you want to take up. Please, Let's compare notes.

if ever you wish to take up the subject, let me know and I will be only too happy to compare notes.

Pick the subject you want to take up. Please, Let's compare notes.
My brothers... I do hope we don't have to. I am a descendent of that European tribe that did injustice on both your houses. And not that I don't wish to air my dirty laundry, or have the atrocities of the past brought to the forefront of our healing process...

What it is that I don't see a need for, and maybe that is my problem is some sort of whose heritage was wronged the most...maybe it is because I wish to disassociate myself...but I believe it is because I just can't see the good that could come out of that.

I wish it were in my power to right the wrongs of the past AND THE PRESENT, as I do see in our ghettos and on the reservations the injustice continues....and both folks that say, 'it was a long time ago, get over it' and folks that say, 'see the man continues to keep me down' both are not only increasing the divide, but by their thoughts and words re-igniting and re-inforcing past mistakes.

It is not a time for a contest of wills that separate, but a time to join forces and create a better tomorrow for our children and our children's children.

From Wilma Mankiller:

"I've run into more discrimination as a woman than as an Indian."

"Everybody is sitting around saying, 'Well, jeez, we need somebody to solve this problem of bias.' That somebody is us. We all have to try to figure out a better way to get along."

"Growth is a painful process."

"I don't think anybody anywhere can talk about the future of their people or of an organization without talking about education. Whoever controls the education of our children controls our future."

"A lot of young girls have looked to their career paths and have said they'd like to be chief. There's been a change in the limits people see."

I posted these quotes in earnest, not to agitate the situation, but just to try and bring some light. I could go on and on about my own situation, but I think that what I'd like is to understand how to get past the problems of communication. There are many times when I don't speak or ask a question or even make a joke because I don't know if I will offend. It might be nice to have a place where we could ask one another, "Hey, would this offend you? If so, why?" But I don't know if we are brave enough or tempered enough to do that. None of us likes to be reminded of how either we or our ancestors or even our immediate families have screwed up things or of the pain that others have caused us. But maybe if we try, and when the time is right, we can let those guards down just a little and reach out to one another here, so that when we are out in that world, we can cope better. Just thinking....

InPeace,
InLove

(I return you all to your regular Star Trek programming.)

I always wondered why non of the aliens were black people. I saw one episode on a planet with nothing but black people on TNG (the next generation). that was it. Of course commander worf is balck, but most of the aliens were white. lol....Still like all of the treks though. My favorite character was Q on TNG.
:D
Tuvak's a Vulcan (Voyager) and black.
In Star Trek 3 there are 'multi racial Vulcans.
That lizard thing in the original series was green...

Emphasis reduced, by me. I don't believe anyone meant to offend and as far as I am aware, at that time Hollywood was pretty lilly white. They were equal offenders, wasn't too long after the civil rights movement and integration really hadn't even started to occur in many circles. Anyone remember the Indians/Native Americans in our westerns or comedies?

We are none of us more than a generation or two from that age and truth be known a lot of what we say that offends we don't even know that it offends until we are told so. Would be quite worth it in my book to clear the air and discuss in another thread the latent issues that still haunt folks today, as it affect our lives today and that of our children...the reason I am here...on this site is to raise my awareness and consciousness.
I'm quite happy for this discussion to carry on here-so long as abuse and bigotry are left outside-it was after-all one of Star Treks 'messages' and a subject close to Roddenberys heart.

Designed based on sea fare tradition. Of course the bridge was protected by a set of electromagnetic shields. And...you forgot the "battle bridge", well within the hull of the ship...Kirk had to use it from time to time...

tsk, tsk,

in today's terms there is the "flying bridge" and the "bridge", and CIC (aka battle bridge). So, the authors of ST weren't too stupid afterall...

Designed based on sea fare tradition. Of course the bridge was protected by a set of electromagnetic shields. And...you forgot the "battle bridge", well within the hull of the ship...Kirk had to use it from time to time...

tsk, tsk,

in today's terms there is the "flying bridge" and the "bridge", and CIC (aka battle bridge). So, the authors of ST weren't too stupid afterall...
hey it was someone elses blog...I just posted...don't shoot the messenger...I've already admitted I don't know a darn thing about Star Trek or any of this SciFi stuff...

I don't even know my way to the basement of the science building...

(now in the art building I know every nook and crannie)

I hate to interrupt the bridge discussion, but as you know I've been catching up on my Next Gen re-runs. (I never saw them all the first time around or the second, or third, or....:D)

Anyway, I just saw the one where Riker meets himself at a different path in time. Sorry--I didn't get the name of it, but it was very interesting to me.

By the way, where exactly is the bridge on the Enterprise? I mean, from the outside looking? Don't y'all just love my tech talk? :D

InPeace,
InLove

I hate to interrupt the bridge discussion, but as you know I've been catching up on my Next Gen re-runs. (I never saw them all the first time around or the second, or third, or....:D)

Anyway, I just saw the one where Riker meets himself at a different path in time. Sorry--I didn't get the name of it, but it was very interesting to me.

By the way, where exactly is the bridge on the Enterprise? I mean, from the outside looking? Don't y'all just love my tech talk? :D

InPeace,
InLove

Which one? the Command Bridge is dead center top of the saucer. The Battle bridge is deep in the engineering section. Remember the Enterprise can seperate saucer from engines... (deck 17, forward of engineering, there are 47 decks on the Enterprise).

You mean the one where Riker is doubled, and one remains on a planet for 10 years while the other continues on with his life (not knowing there is another of him)?

That is why the "buffer patterns" are erased once a body is transported from one place to another...otherwise clones could abound...

Yup--that's the one--one of him escaped and returned to the "Potemkin" (or something like that) and the other did not.

I meant the main bridge. LOL, so where's engineering, from the outside? :D :D :D

Yup--that's the one--one of him escaped and returned to the "Potemkin" (or something like that) and the other did not.

I meant the main bridge. LOL, so where's engineering, from the outside? :D :D :D

Look aft and below the saucer section. There is a rainbow colored "sensor array" in the front (looks like a dish of many colors). That section aft, is engineering.

Later, LT. "Tom Ryker" leaves starfleet and joins the Marquis...

Very cool. I know some folks think it's terrible, but I love The Enterprise. I have been known to just let episodes run for the ambience. :) Well, until there is a major disturbance, anyway--lol, then there are lots of alarms and buzzers! Kind of like the other day when the local tornado warning sounded. It was louder than it is when they test them!

Very cool. I know some folks think it's terrible, but I love The Enterprise. I have been known to just let episodes run for the ambience. :) Well, until there is a major disturbance, anyway--lol, then there are lots of alarms and buzzers! Kind of like the other day when the local tornado warning sounded. It was louder than it is when they test them!

I believe in Rodenberry's vision. I have every ST there is to be had.

I believe in Rodenberry's vision. I have every ST there is to be had.

Now first let me say that I am having a little fun here, and hope you take it in that vein, for I do have true affection for you as I know you.

So, if you go to a trekkyvention what do you go as? I imagine you a Klingon of course. Infact I would bet you have learned Klingon!!

I think I might be the child of a Klingon/Empath union, yes a schizophrenic :p. That or Scotty's brother that went into the catering core and was made redundant by a machine and now finds solace in perfectly replicated single malt whisky :D

TE

Now hold on just one minute! I am Betazoid/Klingon, and we aren't schizo! :D

InPeace,
InLove

Back