Kingdom of Heaven

Star Sarellia

Seeking Wisdom
Reaction score
I was hoping some people might like to help me gain some insight into the "Kingdom of Heaven" as referred to in Matthew which is sometimes called 'Kingdom of God' in other gospels. (Comparisons show they are in reference to the same thing?)

In Matthew 3, John the Baptist says "Repent, for the Kingdom of Heaven is at hand."

In Matthew 4, Jesus says "Repent, for the Kingdom of Heaven is at hand."

After this Jesus gains some disciples and starts teaching in the synagogues, telling them of the good news of the Kingdom and healing the sick and diseased.

All over Syria, people who were possessed, sick, diseased and paralysed come and Jesus heals them.. As the crowds become larger, he went up to a mountainside where he taught them. (Sermon on the Mount)

Matthew 5:3 Blessed are the poor in spirit for theirs is the Kingdom of Heaven.

Matthew 5:10 Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Matthew 11:11-12 I tell you the truth: Among those born of women there has not risen anyone greater than John the Baptist; yet he who is least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than he. [12] From the days of John the Baptist until now, the kingdom of heaven has been forcefully advancing, and forceful men lay hold of it.

Now from Luke..

Luke 17:20-21 Once, having been asked by the Pharisees when the kingdom of God would come, Jesus replied, “The kingdom of God does not come visibly, nor will people say, ‘Here it is,’ or ‘There it is,’ because the kingdom of God is within you

So.. I guess my questions are along the lines of this.

Who are the 'poor in spirit'? I cannot be clear in who they might be.. Would this mean poor in god's spirit or in personal spirit?

In Matthew 11 where it speaks of John the Baptist, I would welcome any thoughts here. I am of about 5 different thoughts currently.

I guess overall.. I am interested in any thoughts of the Kingdom of Heaven/God.? Is it future or present? Can we exist now in the Kingdom of Heaven while we live?

I guess overall.. I am interested in any thoughts of the Kingdom of Heaven/God.? Is it future or present? Can we exist now in the Kingdom of Heaven while we live?
Short answer for me is yes. It is the future, it is the present....depending on our perspective. Once we realize oneness with creation, our worldview changes. For me it isn't a permanent thing, I wave in and out. But love sure seems to be the key, as we express love and gratitude, an overall increased level of bliss occurs...sometimes overwhelming. At these times things seem to fall into line...'miraculously'. But then I slip out as something worldly tests me, turmoil ensues, until I wake up and decide to return to letting go and letting G-d, return to gratitude and love...and then while outer conditions may or may not immediately change...my perception does...and heaven flows back in..

Awesome wil, it's similar for me, though possibly not experienced as often. Sometimes though, in the world moments.. you wonder about things..

*huge smile*

(This is the clipped version I posted in another thread about heaven.)

Heaven to me is what things were like in Eden - on earth. (Paradise) I think each individual can find the kingdom within themselves on a spiritual level.

To get a better understanding of what I personally believe, I should elaborate on what it takes to inherit/find the kingdom. First, you must hit the mark that God set for us. "Sin" is an archers term for missing the mark. I believe God wants us to be happy, joyful, at peace, serene, thankful, content, etc. That is the mark, and most of us miss it.

We all fall short of the glory of God, but when we submit to him, his spirit, which is the same as Christs, that spirit destroys the powers of darkness within. This is all done on a spiritual level, all sin starts with dark spirits, all sins are derived from lack of Love. They are offences to God because they disturb our inner peace. I'm speaking of all the spiritual negatives; things like anger, and hate, jealousy and greed, envy and pride, lust and self pity, etc. Love seems to conqure these things, and the result is an inner freedom that once experienced cannot be denied.

Heaven is simply the state of being free from the offending spirits, as they are both an offence to God, and man. The kingdom of Heaven is finding that inward freedom that happens on a spiritual level. "The tuth shall make you free" A person experiences it as much as he/she allows Love, which is God's spirit, to manifest within.

Geesh! That sounded quite redundant when I read it back. Sorry! :D

In Genesis there is a command from God to replenish the earth and take "dominion" of it. If you look at the mosaic law, it seems to me that the largest theme is about how to have an enlightened dominion, or husbandry, of the earth. It seems to me that manifesting the Kingdom of God envolves the concept of what it is to be "righteous" in true Old Testament terms. That is: to live honestly and with regard for all life. I see Jesus' core philosophy as reinforcing an evolved concept of how to do this. So, I don't see it as a pie-in-the-sky kind of thing, but rather a way to ensure the survival of the earth and ultimately the human race. In that sense it IS salvation.

Chris

So, I don't see it as a pie-in-the-sky kind of thing, but rather a way to ensure the survival of the earth and ultimately the human race. In that sense it IS salvation.

Chris

This is so true. I'd just add the pie-in-the-sky stuff too. Either way, a great ending!

This is so true. I'd just add the pie-in-the-sky stuff too. Either way, a great ending!

Well, it says that the Kingdom is within you. So it's an attitude. Remember the story of Ruth, where the point is made that Boaz was a righteous man by virtue of his observance of the gleaning law? That's a good example of the socio-environmentalism envisioned in the mosaic law. It's all about tempering the desire for personal gain with responsibility for the welfare of all. In fact, one might say that the essence of "sin" is a lack of such responsible action.

Chris

Well, it says that the Kingdom is within you. So it's an attitude. Remember the story of Ruth, where the point is made that Boaz was a righteous man by virtue of his observance of the gleaning law? That's a good example of the socio-environmentalism envisioned in the mosaic law. It's all about tempering the desire for personal gain with responsibility for the welfare of all. In fact, one might say that the essence of "sin" is a lack of such responsible action.

Chris

I absolutely agree...

Im probably going to get flamed for posting here lol but I wanted to answer this question as I see it.

the poor in spirit are the sad and depressed and hopeless.. its that type that turns to the Lord so readily.

The kingdom of God is within us. When one is born of the Spirit or born again they become spiritual beings and become co-heirs with Christ of that kingdom.

Im probably going to get flamed for posting here lol but I wanted to answer this question as I see it.

the poor in spirit are the sad and depressed and hopeless.. its that type that turns to the Lord so readily.

The kingdom of God is within us. When one is born of the Spirit or born again they become spiritual beings and become co-heirs with Christ of that kingdom.

That makes a great deal of sense, FS. :) "For the Son of man is come to save that which was lost."

Well, Jesus also says that his kingdom is not of this world, otherwise his servants would fight. There are any number of ways to take that depending on what else one is attached to.

Chris

Well, Jesus also says that his kingdom is not of this world, otherwise his servants would fight. There are any number of ways to take that depending on what else one is attached to.

Chris

In the world, but not of it perhaps.

On a technical note, I think that the reason Matthew used KOH instead of KOG was out of sensitivity toward his primarily Jewish audience, at least that was one reason I heard before.

It seems from the parables that the KOG is not what you'd expect, it's an invitation to see and do things differently, to BE differently.

In the world, but not of it perhaps.

On a technical note, I think that the reason Matthew used KOH instead of KOG was out of sensitivity toward his primarily Jewish audience, at least that was one reason I heard before.

It seems from the parables that the KOG is not what you'd expect, it's an invitation to see and do things differently, to BE differently.

That's an excellent point!

Chris

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the input :)

Thanks Faithful, I had thought something alone that line but just wasn't sure.. I tend to overthink things sometimes

Namaste FS,

I don't see how you would think you would get flamed for that post!

Co-hiers with Christ...can't speak for the rest of us, but that belief is right up my alley...Gotta say, you know I'd put that a little further and say co-heirs with Jesus...

Namaste FS,

I don't see how you would think you would get flamed for that post!

Co-hiers with Christ...can't speak for the rest of us, but that belief is right up my alley...Gotta say, you know I'd put that a little further and say co-heirs with Jesus...

lol I would take it even further..

16 And he hath on his vesture and on his thigh a name written, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS.

I was hoping some people might like to help me gain some insight into the "Kingdom of Heaven" as referred to in Matthew which is sometimes called 'Kingdom of God' in other gospels. (Comparisons show they are in reference to the same thing?)

In Matthew 3, John the Baptist says "Repent, for the Kingdom of Heaven is at hand."

In Matthew 4, Jesus says "Repent, for the Kingdom of Heaven is at hand."

After this Jesus gains some disciples and starts teaching in the synagogues, telling them of the good news of the Kingdom and healing the sick and diseased.

All over Syria, people who were possessed, sick, diseased and paralysed come and Jesus heals them.. As the crowds become larger, he went up to a mountainside where he taught them. (Sermon on the Mount)

Matthew 5:3 Blessed are the poor in spirit for theirs is the Kingdom of Heaven.

Matthew 5:10 Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Matthew 11:11-12 I tell you the truth: Among those born of women there has not risen anyone greater than John the Baptist; yet he who is least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than he. [12] From the days of John the Baptist until now, the kingdom of heaven has been forcefully advancing, and forceful men lay hold of it.

Now from Luke..

Luke 17:20-21 Once, having been asked by the Pharisees when the kingdom of God would come, Jesus replied, “The kingdom of God does not come visibly, nor will people say, ‘Here it is,’ or ‘There it is,’ because the kingdom of God is within you

So.. I guess my questions are along the lines of this.

Who are the 'poor in spirit'? I cannot be clear in who they might be.. Would this mean poor in god's spirit or in personal spirit?

In Matthew 11 where it speaks of John the Baptist, I would welcome any thoughts here. I am of about 5 different thoughts currently.

the whole theme of the bible is about Gods heavenly kingdom goverment and this heavenly goverment is now well established Daniel 2;44 this heavenly kingdom was born and established in 1914 inline with bible prophecy and chronology.
The appointed time for the nations to rule without interruption by God came to an end in 1914. (Luke 21:24) Then, right on time, as the book of revelation tells us ,the woman bears her child
Revelation 12:5, 6 the book of revelation is being revealed ,we are now in the Lords day and the child that was born is Gods heavenly kingdom . this is the only way to peace on the earth and Jesus was given the kingship of this heavenly kingdom in 1914 Daniel 7;13-14 bible prophecy is now well along and welcoming Jesus as the enthroned king with the legal right to the throne is the way to go , there is no salvation in any one else.

(John 18:36) Jesus answered: "My kingdom is no part of this world. If my kingdom were part of this world, my attendants would have fought that I should not be delivered up to the Jews. But, as it is, my kingdom is not from this source."..................... Jesus said this because he knew that his kingdom would be in heaven ,and he would be made king at a future time . we are now living at that future time and the kingdom that Jesus is king of was set up in 1914 in the heavens, inline with bible prophecy and chronology .Daniel 2;44 and he has been given the kingship ,and the one who gave it to him was his father Jehovah God Daniel 7;13-14 we are living in very thrilling times indeed , and Jesus is now a warrior king and things are moving along at a great pace . Jesus is present in kingdom power and has been since 1914 , i have put my vote in for this king and the heavenly kingdom goverment , because it is the only way to PEACE on the earth . and the gathering of the GREAT CROWD from all nations goes on ,revelation 7;9-10............... nice :)
And this good news of the kingdom will be preached in all the inhabited earth for a witness to all the nations; and then the end will come. matthew 24;14 soon the end of mammade goverments , but the GOODNEWS goes on .
(Mark 13:10) Also, in all the nations the good news has to be preached first. dont dismiss this GOODNEWS it is the way to go .

Back