What will WE be Like in Heaven?

-James-

Spirit Guided
Reaction score
I guess this is a spin off of all the "what is heaven" threads popping up. I'm curious, as it would seem to me that whatever you envision yourself to be in heaven, that it might not be a bad idea to try to accomplish the same disposition, and/or temperment in this life.

I think that is what being born again is about, losing your old life and becomming a new creature in christ. Not a bad goal if you ask me, and it CAN be accomplished through Christ's Spirit. This could be the "Wedding Garment" talked about in Matthew 22? (Just a thought) To put on the new in Christ, which means to actually be Changed instead of coming to the feast wearing your old carnal nature.

James

I guess this is a spin off of all the "what is heaven" threads popping up. I'm curious, as it would seem to me that whatever you envision yourself to be in heaven, that it might not be a bad idea to try to accomplish the same disposition, and/or temperment in this life.

I think that is what being born again is about, losing your old life and becomming a new creature in christ. Not a bad goal if you ask me, and it CAN be accomplished through Christ's Spirit. This could be the "Wedding Garment" talked about in Matthew 22? (Just a thought) To put on the new in Christ, which means to actually be Changed instead of coming to the feast wearing your old carnal nature.

James

God made us for His good pleasure.. He made us for Him so Im guessing He will make us in what pleases Him the most. I hope He decides to take off some of these pounds Ive gained after having my kids :)

^^That made me smile, FS.. . ..I could stand to lose a few pounds myself, lol!

And now concerning thy question regarding the soul of man and its survival after death. Know thou of a truth that the soul, after its separation from the body, will continue to progress until it attaineth the presence of God, in a state and condition which neither the revolution of ages and centuries, nor the changes and chances of this world, can alter. It will endure as long as the Kingdom of 156 God, His sovereignty, His dominion and power will endure. It will manifest the signs of God and His attributes, and will reveal His loving kindness and bounty. The movement of My Pen is stilled when it attempteth to befittingly describe the loftiness and glory of so exalted a station. The honor with which the Hand of Mercy will invest the soul is such as no tongue can adequately reveal, nor any other earthly agency describe. Blessed is the soul which, at the hour of its separation from the body, is sanctified from the vain imaginings of the peoples of the world. Such a soul liveth and moveth in accordance with the Will of its Creator, and entereth the all-highest Paradise. The Maids of Heaven, inmates of the loftiest mansions, will circle around it, and the Prophets of God and His chosen ones will seek its companionship. With them that soul will freely converse, and will recount unto them that which it hath been made to endure in the path of God, the Lord of all worlds. If any man be told that which hath been ordained for such a soul in the worlds of God, the Lord of the throne on high and of earth below, his whole being will instantly blaze out in his great longing to attain that most exalted, that sanctified and resplendent station.... The nature of the soul after death can never be described, nor is it meet and permissible to reveal its whole character to the eyes of men. The Prophets and Messengers of God have been sent down for the sole purpose of guiding mankind to the 157 straight Path of Truth. The purpose underlying Their revelation hath been to educate all men, that they may, at the hour of death, ascend, in the utmost purity and sanctity and with absolute detachment, to the throne of the Most High. The light which these souls radiate is responsible for the progress of the world and the advancement of its peoples. They are like unto leaven which leaveneth the world of being, and constitute the animating force through which the arts and wonders of the world are made manifest. Through them the clouds rain their bounty upon men, and the earth bringeth forth its fruits. All things must needs have a cause, a motive power, an animating principle. These souls and symbols of detachment have provided, and will continue to provide, the supreme moving impulse in the world of being.

(Baha'u'llah, Gleanings from the Writings of Baha'u'llah, p. 156)

Can we please not pollute the Christian forum with pagan idolatry? As for what Heaven will be like? Wow, that is almost too wonderful to think about. Have you heard of Rany Alchorn? He has a book about Heaven, where he speaks about Heaven having a lot of the same things we have on earth, except without sin. He mentions people going out a resturant where all the food is so amazingly exquisite. He mentions us having music, and a lot of the things that brings us joy, but again without the sin. I never read the book, but I find these ideas fun to think on. That said, the reason why I know that Heaven is so infinitely amazing, is because God is there. Jesus is there! Since He himself is eternity, we being finite, will have to spead the rest of our lives growing to know and enjoy Him. Everyday will be greater than the last, and this will go on for forever. I think that is why the Bible says "eyes have not seen, nor ears heard, nor has it entered into man's heart what God has prepared for those who love him."

Since He himself is eternity, we being finite, will have to spead the rest of our lives growing to know and enjoy Him. Everyday will be greater than the last, and this will go on for forever.

"Know thou of a truth that the soul, after its separation from the body, will continue to progress until it attaineth the presence of God"
I think that is why the Bible says "eyes have not seen, nor ears heard, nor has it entered into man's heart what God has prepared for those who love him.

"The nature of the soul after death can never be described, nor is it meet and permissible to reveal its whole character to the eyes of men"

Sorry guys. I'll be out and about for awhile exploring this cosmos, and I expect God's best angel guides to be showing me around, or else I'm asking to go spelunking on my own (I'm sure God will expect a trip notes journal from me when I'm done...in about a million millenia). :eek: :D

Isnt that the dude who tried to say he was Christ?

A religion founded in the 1850s in Iran as a combination of Judeasm, Islam and Christinity (Muhhamad's concept of a super faith).

v/r

Joshuah

Hmmm....let's see.

According to I Corinthians 15, we will be changed in an instant at the resurrection. Our bodies will be changed at that time from the corruptable bodies we have now to incorruptable. In Revelation 21:4, it says that "...there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away." for "there shall be no more curse" (Rev 22:3). Our bodies will be perfect, as we are being perfected by the Spirit now. We will be in perfect harmony in body, mind, and spirit.

"Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is." - I John 3:2

This indicates to me that we will be like Jesus. So the best example we can turn to is the portions of scripture after His Resurrection.

"And after eight days again his disciples were within, and Thomas with them: then came Jesus, the doors being shut, and stood in the midst, and said, Peace be unto you.
Then saith he to Thomas, Reach hither thy finger, and behold my hands; and reach hither thy hand, and thrust it into my side: and be not faithless, but believing. And Thomas answered and said unto him, My LORD and my God." - John 20:26-28

It is evident that Jesus had some physicality to him, for He still had the marks on His hands, feet, and side from the crucifixion. He further demonstrated this by eating fish and honeycomb in Luke 24:42, proving that He was flesh and bones (Luke 24:39).

Yet He had abilities that go beyond normal fleshly means. For example, he was able to appear (Luke 24:36, John 20:26), behind closed doors, and disappear (Luke 24:31), suggesting the ability to teleport. And He was able to disguise himself (Luke 24:13-16, John 20:14-15). And finally, He could rise up in the air (Acts 1:9). My guess is that if we are going to be as He is, we will inherit these abilities also. Why?

I have a theory.

When the Sadducees confronted Jesus about the Resurrection, seeing as they didn't believe it, they asked about whose wife would a women be after being married successive number of times. What Jesus said was profound:

"The children of this world marry, and are given in marriage:
But they which shall be accounted worthy to obtain that world, and the resurrection from the dead, neither marry, nor are given in marriage: Neither can they die any more: for they are equal unto the angels; and are the children of God, being the children of the resurrection." - Luke 20:34-36

So it stands to reason that we might possibly function like angels in the afterlife, as ministering spirits (Hebrews 1:14). I do not believe that we will be just sitting around playing on our harps all day. No, I think God will have work for us to do, but it won't seem like work, certainly not in the tedious task that the curse brought on us. I think we will be glorifying God in our work in heaven by ministering to those in need.

But if we are in heaven, who would we minister to?

Ahh...this is where it gets dicey and where my theory really comes into play. And from this point on, I take some liberties for conjecture.

My Sci Fi side now kicks in, for I am not so naive to think that there is no possibility that we are alone in this vast universe. And that God might have created life on some other world somewhere in the Cosmos. Certainly, God can do whatever He wants, right? All things are possible.

Suppose for a moment that He did. Would it be too out of line to think that perhaps another world could be populated creature made in the likeness of God, and that they are experiencing the same kind of situation that we are in. Maybe with the same need for salvation and restorations we need. And that He has need of angelic beings, "sent forth to minister for them who shall be heirs of salvation" in that world. And what if He uses us as ministering spirits.

Farfetched. Maybe. But what else are we made for but to love others, giving drink to the thirsty, and encouragement to the hurting. Most of the descriptions of angels show them in human form, such as when Jacob wrestled with one. Hebrews 13:2 tells us that we may inadvertently be entertaining angels unaware. Maybe strangers you've met we actually angels.

Are we not going to judge angels? (I Corinthians 6:3) Which angels? Well, I think fallen angels are already judged to the bottomless pit. And if God created angels in their current form, they are doing the perfect will of God anyway, so what's to judge.

However, if angels were once like us, then our judgement toward them would be a human judgement, of how well they ministered to us.

Just some food for thought. Eat at your discretion.

Being co-heirs with Christ I believe the saints will be ruling as kings over the earth during the millineum with Him as the King of all Kings. I believe the saints will be judges over man and angels I believe that we will rule with rod of righteousness

My Sci Fi side now kicks in, for I am not so naive to think that there is no possibility that we are alone in this vast universe. And that God might have created life on some other world somewhere in the Cosmos. Certainly, God can do whatever He wants, right? All things are possible.

Suppose for a moment that He did. Would it be too out of line to think that perhaps another world could be populated creature made in the likeness of God, and that they are experiencing the same kind of situation that we are in. Maybe with the same need for salvation and restorations we need. And that He has need of angelic beings, "sent forth to minister for them who shall be heirs of salvation" in that world. And what if He uses us as ministering spirits.

We have God's Word telling us what he did (and God cannot lie). He made life on earth. The universe demonstrates God's creativity and power (and the stars help guide us at night w/constellations and such). Once Adam sinned he brought sin into all of creation. Jesus had to be born from Adam to bring salvation.

If there were other Image Bearers on another planet, then once Adam sinned, their world would be messed up too, for seemingly no reason, which is quite unfair for a Loving God to do something like that. Also, they wouldn't have any form of salvation because Jesus died for us, not them.

One last thing, man was made in God's image; Angels weren't. The Bible teaches that man is the most beloved thing out of all creation. Angels are God's messengers and administer to us, whereas we are God's children. Our roles are very different. Not only that, but God lives in us (through the Holy Spirit), and not in Angels. We are separated from God, and must have faith in him. Angels exist in God's presence with full knowledge of God's glory.

We have God's Word telling us what he did (and God cannot lie). He made life on earth. The universe demonstrates God's creativity and power (and the stars help guide us at night w/constellations and such). Once Adam sinned he brought sin into all of creation. Jesus had to be born from Adam to bring salvation.

If there were other Image Bearers on another planet, then once Adam sinned, their world would be messed up too, for seemingly no reason, which is quite unfair for a Loving God to do something like that. Also, they wouldn't have any form of salvation because Jesus died for us, not them.

One last thing, man was made in God's image; Angels weren't. The Bible teaches that man is the most beloved thing out of all creation. Angels are God's messengers and administer to us, whereas we are God's children. Our roles are very different. Not only that, but God lives in us (through the Holy Spirit), and not in Angels. We are separated from God, and must have faith in him. Angels exist in God's presence with full knowledge of God's glory.

Valid points, Pico.

The doctrine of angels is sketchy at best. I suppose we will never know their true nature. Like I said, I've taken some creative liberties to try and translate possibilities of our own status before God in the afterlife. The bible has some information to ponder possibilities such as I've described. If we are to be like the angels, then it doesn't hurt to explore just what that may be like. I suspect that when Jesus spoke of such, it meant at least in the aspect of giving glory to God. The scriptures do say, "...Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him." - I Corinthians 2:9.

I can imagine quite a bit, so how much more does God have planned for us than what I can come up with.Though the point about the whole creation being affected by Adams fall was quite compelling, still I can't help the feeling that there is a sense of continuence in the work of God in which we will take an active part. Surely, we will enter His rest, from our labors here on this earth, yet if His ultimate plan is to conform us into the image of His Son, in whatever stage we happen to be now (we are all at different levels), it is certainly not going to be completed here in this life. I believe there is room for continued spiritual growth and development. Our training has to continue. And if that is the case, then the learning has to be experintial to the commandments of loving God and our neighbor, that is through our continued show of our thoughts and deeds toward one another. What is the medium by which we can accomplish this if it isn't through those in need? To whom will we be able to serve, besides ourselves who really won't have needs per se once we are all together in heaven?

the 144,000 will be going to heaven to rule with Jesus christ as kings and priests, that is the reason they are going there.(not me though,) my hope is to get through the great tribulation and go on to inherit a paradise earth.
Jesus Christ, of course, is greatly concerned with the quality of the kings he will have with him. These kings receive repeated mention in the vision he gave to his apostle John. John reports:​
"I saw thrones, and there were those who sat down on them, and power of judging was given them. Yes, I saw the souls of those executed with the ax for the witness they bore to Jesus and for speaking about God, and those who had worshiped neither the wild beast nor its image and who had not received the mark upon their forehead and upon their hand. And they came to life and ruled as kings with the Christ for a thousand years. (The rest of the dead did not come to life until the thousand years were ended.) This is the first resurrection. Happy and holy is anyone having part in the first resurrection; over these the second death has no authority, but they will be priests of God and of the Christ, and will rule as kings with him for the thousand years."—Rev. 20:4-6.

the 144,000 will be going to heaven to rule with Jesus christ as kings and priests, that is the reason they are going there.(not me though,) my hope is to get through the great tribulation and go on to inherit a paradise earth.
Jesus Christ, of course, is greatly concerned with the quality of the kings he will have with him. These kings receive repeated mention in the vision he gave to his apostle John. John reports:
"I saw thrones, and there were those who sat down on them, and power of judging was given them. Yes, I saw the souls of those executed with the ax for the witness they bore to Jesus and for speaking about God, and those who had worshiped neither the wild beast nor its image and who had not received the mark upon their forehead and upon their hand. And they came to life and ruled as kings with the Christ for a thousand years. (The rest of the dead did not come to life until the thousand years were ended.) This is the first resurrection. Happy and holy is anyone having part in the first resurrection; over these the second death has no authority, but they will be priests of God and of the Christ, and will rule as kings with him for the thousand years."—Rev. 20:4-6.

Man made doctrine alert.

Man made doctrine alert.
the book of revelation is not a manmade doctrine it is the inspired word of God. and in these last days the revealing and uncovering about the understanding of it is well and truely being revealed. yes the 144,000 who are going to be with christ in heaven will be serving as kings and priests .
Luke 12:32: "Have no fear, little flock, because your Father has approved of giving you the kingdom." (These do not include all who have exercised faith; the number is limited. Their being in heaven is for a purpose.)
Rev. 20:4, 6: "I saw thrones, and there were those who sat down on them, and power of judging was given them. . . . Happy and holy is anyone having part in the first resurrection; over these the second death has no authority, but they will be priests of God and of the Christ, and will rule as kings with him for the thousand years."
And I saw, and, look! the Lamb standing upon the Mount Zion, and with him a hundred and forty-four thousand having his name and the name of his Father written on their foreheads." (Revelation 14:1)
And I heard the number of those who were sealed, a hundred and forty-four thousand, sealed out of every tribe of the sons of Israel:revelation 7;4yes these SPIRITUAL ISRAELITES will be going to heaven with christ Jesus and the number will be 144,000
(Romans 2:29) But he is a Jew who is one on the inside, and [his] circumcision is that of the heart by spirit, and not by a written code. The praise of that one comes, not from men, but from God.......... so dont worry no alert needed the bible is the word of truth.

Seeing as in Heaven we are supposed to be perfected 'versions' of ourselves now, I'm going to be just like I am now. (no, no, I'm not any more but you're right I did used to be conceited...)

Back