Was the original Star Trek series, a morality play?

Quahom1

What was the question?
Reaction score
Have you ever considered the meanings behind the various episodes of the original Star Trek, as penned and directed by the author Gene Roddenbery?

Is not each story/episode a parable or a fable meant to teach us a lesson about the dignity of man and respect for the creator? Nevermind the subsequent offshoots of ST. I'm referring to the original series that first aired on 6 September 1966.

Thoughts?

I don't know enough about this, Q. A lot of shows back then had moral lessons in each show (too bad they still don't!).

I'll have to sit back, read and learn!:)

Have you ever considered the meanings behind the various episodes of the original Star Trek, as penned and directed by the author Gene Roddenbery?

Is not each story/episode a parable or a fable meant to teach us a lesson about the dignity of man and respect for the creator? Nevermind the subsequent offshoots of ST. I'm referring to the original series that first aired on 6 September 1966.

Thoughts?

When I am on the internet and elsewhere, "The trouble with tribbles" has play in my sub-conscious. Oh, sometimes how I long for a transporter to get those "things" out of here.

I don't know enough about this, Q. A lot of shows back then had moral lessons in each show (too bad they still don't!).

I'll have to sit back, read and learn!:)
Not ever having been a trek fan I can't say... but Mayberry RFD, My Three Sons, Make Room For Daddy...they had morals...Car 54, Adam's Family, Munsters, Three Stooges...if they did I missed it.

gotta nip it, nip it in the bud.

Thoughts?

Sorry, Quahom. As curious as I would be of the Star Trek of the 1960s or 1970s, I didn't exist back then. I've seen the more recent ones (actually, very recent) of the Voyager and Enterprise series.

Any chance of you giving me some hints of what it was about?

I saw in an interview wth Nichelle Nichols, who played Lt. Uhura in the original series, that one time she was sitting down with Gene Roddenbury and realized from the scripts that these were morality plays, and when she asked Gene about, he didn't deny it.

Gene Roddenbury, BTW, was an athiest.

I'd have to say yes- by simple virtue of the fact that the crew had to work out what was going on and make moral choices about the situation. Another pointer is the 'moral' was very rearly explained at the end of the episode- you, the viewer had to work it out for yourself.

Hi All:

I'd say yes. His unique and visionary approach to mythos set a standard that mostly hasn't been matched yet. George Lucas, Speilberg, Kubrick, Rod Serling were all excellent in their own fashion, but their stories somehow weren't as personalized as Roddenberry's depictions and portrayals, cheesy as the techniques were/are.

flow....;)

I think it was definitely about morals, but there also seemed to be something more. I think the same is true with the NextGen stuff--not too well-versed on Janeway and the rest yet, though.

InPeace,
InLove

Hi All:

I'd say yes. His unique and visionary approach to mythos set a standard that mostly hasn't been matched yet. George Lucas, Speilberg, Kubrick, Rod Serling were all excellent in their own fashion, but their stories somehow weren't as personalized as Roddenberry's depictions and portrayals, cheesy as the techniques were/are.

flow....;)

Cheesy yes, but the storyline made us suspend disbelief. Then technology caught up with his vision...and for a moment it was near perfect.

Then he died, and others screwed everything up...that's why ST died.

Back