Nourishment from the bible in bad times

Penguin

Reaction score
Hi all,

I’ve been having a really bad time lately with my marriage almost falling apart and a few other issues in life. I was wandering what books/sections you read in the bible to make you feel better when your back is against the wall and you are really down. Lately I have been reading the book of Job, Acts & Psalms. What really drips and oozes Jesus to help you in times of need? Best wishes to all!

Hi Penguin--

I'm sad to hear you are having troubles. Here is one of my favorite passages from the New Testament that helps me to remember when I am discouraged in any situation:

Philippians 4:4-13 said:
4Rejoice in the Lord always: and again I say, Rejoice.
5Let your moderation be known unto all men. The Lord is at hand.
6Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.
7And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
8Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.
9Those things, which ye have both learned, and received, and heard, and seen in me, do: and the God of peace shall be with you.
10But I rejoiced in the Lord greatly, that now at the last your care of me hath flourished again; wherein ye were also careful, but ye lacked opportunity.
11Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content.
12I know both how to be abased, and I know how to abound: every where and in all things I am instructed both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need. 13I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

This is part of a letter written by Paul to encourage the church at Philippi, whose faith was being tested. But I find it very helpful in my life, too. I keep it in my heart.

InPeace,
InLove

What she said, the joy of serving Christ is definitely in Phillipians.

You have the right idea with Job. He knows he needs an advocate. Miracle is that Job knows God hears and cares.

"Blessed be God, even the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies, and the God of all comfort;
Who comforteth us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort them which are in any trouble, by the comfort wherewith we ourselves are comforted of God.
For as the sufferings of Christ abound in us, so our consolation also aboundeth by Christ.
And whether we be afflicted, it is for your consolation and salvation, which is effectual in the enduring of the same sufferings which we also suffer: or whether we be comforted, it is for your consolation and salvation. And our hope of you is stedfast, knowing, that as ye are partakers of the sufferings, so shall ye be also of the consolation." - II Corinthians 1:3-7

I don't know what your marriage issues are, but many problem stems from not understanding the institition of marriage itself, that it is symbolic of marriage between Christ and the church:

"Giving thanks always for all things unto God and the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ;
Submitting yourselves one to another in the fear of God.
Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord.
For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body.
Therefore as the church is subject unto Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in every thing.
Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;
That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word,
That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish.
So ought men to love their wives as their own bodies. He that loveth his wife loveth himself. For no man ever yet hated his own flesh; but nourisheth and cherisheth it, even as the Lord the church:" - Ephesians 5:20-29

Just to clarify, these verses are not saying that wives are any less equal in stature before God, or even in the marriage, but what is vitally important is that God, when He instituted marriage, assigned roles for both the man and the woman to follow in order that there be harmony in the marriage. (And really, there is a verse prior stating to submit to one another anyway, in the fear of God). But God in His wisdom saw a need for there to be a point of final arbitration in the decision making in the marriage, and that has gone to the man. Not that wives have no say in the matter, for all things ought to be discussed between the husband and wife in all areas affecting their marriage. However, at some point, whatever conflict must be resolved with an ultimate decision, else the conflict will go on. The wife is to submit to the husband because the husband is responsible to God for her. And the husband, in turn, loves his wife as an example of how Christ loves the church and sacrifices for her. The husband should have all respect due to the wife and care for her as his own self. The husband, having the greater responsibility, is ultimately responsible to God in a greater sense than the wife is. When both are in agreement about the roles being played out as ordained by God, there is greater harmony in the marriage. (This I can testify by experience)

I hope that helps.

Here's one that comforts me...Lamentations 3
(source: King James Version: Lamentations: Lamentations Chapter 3)

1 I AM the man that hath seen affliction by the rod of his wrath.

2 He hath led me, and brought me into darkness, but not into light.

3 Surely against me is he turned; he turneth his hand against me all the day.

4 My flesh and my skin hath he made old; he hath broken my bones.

5 He hath builded against me, and compassed me with gall and travail.

6 He hath set me in dark places, as they that be dead of old.

7 He hath hedged me about, that I cannot get out: he hath made my chain heavy.

8 Also when I cry and shout, he shutteth out my prayer.

9 He hath inclosed my ways with hewn stone, he hath made my paths crooked.

10 He was unto me as a bear lying in wait, and as a lion in secret places.

11 He hath turned aside my ways, and pulled me in pieces: he hath made me desolate.

12 He hath bent his bow, and set me as a mark for the arrow.

13 He hath caused the arrows of his quiver to enter into my reins.

14 I was a derision to all my people; and their song all the day.

15 He hath filled me with bitterness, he hath made me drunken with wormwood.

16 He hath also broken my teeth with gravel stones, he hath covered me with ashes.

17 And thou hast removed my soul far off from peace: I forgat prosperity.

18 And I said, My strength and my hope is perished from the LORD:

19 Remembering mine affliction and my misery, the wormwood and the gall.

20 My soul hath them still in remembrance, and is humbled in me.

21 This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope.

22 It is of the LORD's mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not.

23 They are new every morning: great is thy faithfulness.

24 The LORD is my portion, saith my soul; therefore will I hope in him.

25 The LORD is good unto them that wait for him, to the soul that seeketh him.

26 It is good that a man should both hope and quietly wait for the salvation of the LORD.

27 It is good for a man that he bear the yoke of his youth.

28 He sitteth alone and keepeth silence, because he hath borne it upon him.

29 He putteth his mouth in the dust; if so be there may be hope.

30 He giveth his cheek to him that smiteth him: he is filled full with reproach.

31 For the LORD will not cast off for ever:

32 But though he cause grief, yet will he have compassion according to the multitude of his mercies.

33 For he doth not afflict willingly nor grieve the children of men.

34 To crush under his feet all the prisoners of the earth.

35 To turn aside the right of a man before the face of the most High,

36 To subvert a man in his cause, the LORD approveth not.

37 Who is he that saith, and it cometh to pass, when the Lord commandeth it not?

38 Out of the mouth of the most High proceedeth not evil and good?

39 Wherefore doth a living man complain, a man for the punishment of his sins?

40 Let us search and try our ways, and turn again to the LORD.

41 Let us lift up our heart with our hands unto God in the heavens.

42 We have transgressed and have rebelled: thou hast not pardoned.

43 Thou hast covered with anger, and persecuted us: thou hast slain, thou hast not pitied.

44 Thou hast covered thyself with a cloud, that our prayer should not pass through.

45 Thou hast made us as the offscouring and refuse in the midst of the people.

46 All our enemies have opened their mouths against us.

47 Fear and a snare is come upon us, desolation and destruction.

48 Mine eye runneth down with rivers of water for the destruction of the daughter of my people.

49 Mine eye trickleth down, and ceaseth not, without any intermission.

50 Till the LORD look down, and behold from heaven.

51 Mine eye affecteth mine heart because of all the daughters of my city.

52 Mine enemies chased me sore, like a bird, without cause.

53 They have cut off my life in the dungeon, and cast a stone upon me.

54 Waters flowed over mine head; then I said, I am cut off.

55 I called upon thy name, O LORD, out of the low dungeon.

56 Thou hast heard my voice: hide not thine ear at my breathing, at my cry.

57 Thou drewest near in the day that I called upon thee: thou saidst, Fear not.

58 O LORD, thou hast pleaded the causes of my soul; thou hast redeemed my life.

59 O LORD, thou hast seen my wrong: judge thou my cause.

60 Thou hast seen all their vengeance and all their imaginations against me.

61 Thou hast heard their reproach, O LORD, and all their imaginations against me;

62 The lips of those that rose up against me, and their device against me all the day.

63 Behold their sitting down, and their rising up; I am their musick.

64 Render unto them a recompence, O LORD, according to the work of their hands.

65 Give them sorrow of heart, thy curse unto them.

66 Persecute and destroy them in anger from under the heavens of the LORD.

I'll pray for you.

All the good thoughts,

Mark

hey, penguin. i will have you know that i know what you are going thru, because being a married man is one of the toughest jobs to be employed at. tough because of temptation that is everywhere in this world, if you know what i mean. i don't know if you have children but that is another responsibity that we have to keep in mind by teaching them about our Father in heaven and not only that, but being a good example to them because they look up to you, man. i am going on to about 10 years now in my marriage and i have 2 kick ass little boys. words cannot describe the fact that God has always taken good care of us and that i will always be grateful to Him. but bear in mind it has not been a "smooth" marriage. i won't go in to the personal stuff, if you want there is always the private messages, but know that my wife and i have separated, nearly divorced so many times now that i have lost count. and we are still together thanks and praise to God. my point is that, it is normal to have problems, and trust me when i say, the problems we went thru were nightmarish. don't be discouraged, man, instead, read this from proverbs.
Proverbs 5 Let thy fountain be blessed: and rejoice with the wife of thy youth. Let her be as the loving hind and pleasant roe; let her breasts satisfy thee at all times; and be thou ravished always with her love.
take care of her, man. i will have you know that women are very emotional and don't always think straight. and i don't care what women say, especially wives, they NEED their men! after all it is their curse as it states in genesis.
Genesis 3...and thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee.
but adam himself had to be the romantic and say:Genesis 2 And Adam said, This is now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh: she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man.Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh. And they were both naked, the man and his wife, and were not ashamed.
i can go on and on about scripture, but that would be too long of a read! take care of her, man. don't care about your "self". with God there is no "self", only Him. if you have children, especially them! praise God, man, praise God. Amen

The one I always seem to get a lift from no matter what is...
[FONT=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]Isaiah 40:31 [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]But those who wait on the Lord Shall renew their strength; They shall mount up with wings like eagles, They shall run and not be weary, They shall walk and not faint.[/FONT]

Also try Psalms 91 14-16 and personalize it.

Psalms 91:14 "Because he has set his love upon Me, therefore I will deliver him; I will set him on high, because he has known My name. 15 He shall call upon Me, and I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble; I will deliver him and honor him. 16 With long life I will satisfy him, And show him My salvation."

so for instance for me 14 "Because John has set his love upon Me, therefore I will deliver John; I will set John on high, because he has known My name. 15 John shall call upon Me, and I will answer John; I will be with John in trouble; I will deliver John and honor John. 16 With long life I will satisfy John, And show John My salvation."Try it with all 3 verses.

Hi guys,

Many thanks indeed for all your kind replies and recommended passages, I will read and enjoy them.
Thanks LeoSalinas22, wise words indeed! I don't know how much longer I will be with my wife, as much as I hate to say it but I have now learnt that I can comfort myself and gain confidence through my beliefs and reading the scriptures. What will be, will be, and happen for a reason. "Thou that does not kill me makes me stronger!" Best wishes to all.

Back