Borat....

there's an unwritten rule of comedy that it's safe to make jokes involving your own gender/race/religion/nationality and similar affiliations

That is total bs.... A black man can call a black man a ******... But, you are now all going freaking crazy because I typed the word ******, twice..... OH NO!! GET HIM!!!

It shouldn't be like that... If one can joke/insult about one type of person every type of person should also be acceptable... It is another thing to prevent "discrimination" Which only causes even more discrimination... So me saying, ******, ***, kyke.... whatever is bad and hurts? And it wouldn't be seen as comedy? Then do not let -anyone- do this so called comedy.... Simple. But to say it is ok for one and not another is total bs.

So the Running of the Jew and similar skits were funny because it was a Jewish guy ridiculing prejudices that could apply to himself. And they were made ridiculous.

Yeah, wow... Seriously... How, hilarious..... :rolleyes:

That is total bs.... A black man can call a black man a ******... But, you are now all going freaking crazy because I typed the word ******, twice..... OH NO!! GET HIM!!!

It shouldn't be like that... If one can joke/insult about one type of person every type of person should also be acceptable... It is another thing to prevent "discrimination" Which only causes even more discrimination... So me saying, ******, ***, kyke.... whatever is bad and hurts? And it wouldn't be seen as comedy? Then do not let -anyone- do this so called comedy.... Simple. But to say it is ok for one and not another is total bs.
Sorry I don't buy it. While I have no issues with you using that word as a descriptor of your point in your statement, I feel it completely unnappropriate to use it as a joke. As I indicated it is an extension of self deprecating humor...and humor based on putting down another or another group is not humor...it is sadism, racism, extending stereotypes...and when heard out of context by people that are unaware...which happens all the time..urban legends..suddenly we have a 'reason' to be racist...because x, y or z is true...

"Kramer" tried to cover his slip and make it comedy...it wasn't and everyone that watched it, everyone that was there knows it wasn't comedy or even failed attempt at comedy, it was a trainwreck by a frustrated comedian who allowed some of his latent racism out on stage at a heckler...plenty of ways to handle hecklers without going there.

Using an abusive derogatory term in a demeaning way even in your own group does not make it any less abusive or derogatory and does not give anyone license to follow suit.

So you're in agreement with me? It doesn't matter where you come from or what you represent... It's wrong. Nice.

Pretty certain When King did his speech it didn't say...

I have a dream, that one day this nation will rise up and live out -most- of it's true meaning of it's creed; "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal." I have a dream that one day we will not be thrown abuse by the others, and not insulted and hated, However we will demean our own people and do it ourselves... ;/

i maintain it's about the context. when michael richards (kramer) had his "trainwreck" it wasn't funny. he should have known it wouldn't be funny and not try it. basically, these things are dependent upon whether the person or being ridiculed recognises, accepts and even approves the ridicule -so if someone recognises that X is true for them, they'll more likely find it funny - so in the case of the "running of the jews", we recognise that there are people who think of us like that and find its very extremism to be ridiculous - it would have been much less funny if it had been less absurd and extreme. by the same token, something that is clearly true for the audience is more hard-hitting; take chris rock's famous routine about the difference between "black people" and "n...." in which he says that the latter are causing all the problems for the former - in front of a black audience who are clearly finding the whole thing hilarious. personally, i wouldn't really know whether to laugh or not as i'm not black, so i can't empathise effectively enough to understand the humour. i'd call that a private-ish sort of joke, as opposed to something like "goodness gracious me", which is cross-cultural in that everyone has annoying mothers and aunties and therefore you recognise something in oneself.

b'shalom

bananabrain

Back