Creation Museum causes stir in scientific circles

BlaznFattyz

Reaction score
LOUISVILLE, Ky. -- A museum where Adam and Eve share exhibit space with dinosaurs is drawing criticism from groups of science educators as it nears completion.

The $27 million Creation Museum tells a biblical version of the Earth's history, asserting that the planet is just a few thousand years old and man and the giant lizards once coexisted. The educators say its exhibits, inspired by the Old Testament, are geared toward children but lack scientific evidence.

"When they try to confuse [kids] about what is science and what isn't science, scientists have an obligation to speak out," said Lawrence Krauss, an author and a physics professor at Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland. "There's no doubt these are documented lies."...
Cont'd

Museum mission statement
  • Exalt Jesus Christ as Creator, Redeemer and Sustainer through a safe, wholesome, family-friendly center for learning and discovery that clearly presents major biblical themes from Genesis to Revelation.
  • This center will equip Christians to better evangelize the lost with a sense of urgency, through a combination of exhibits, research and educational presentations that uphold the inerrancy of the Bible.
  • This center will also challenge visitors to receive Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord and to accept the authority of the Bible by providing culturally relevant biblical and scientific answers from a biblical worldview.
Visit the Creation Museum

lol or cry?

"Early in 2005 the New York Times reported that increasingly, across the nation, secondary school teachers were leaving the subject of evolution out of the curriculum because they'd get in trouble with their principal if he or she found out they were teaching it. Even when evolution is listed in the curriculum, it may not make it into the classroom. Many administrators discourage teachers from discussing it, and teachers often avoid the topic out of fear of protests from fundamentalist parents. Add to this the pervasive hostility toward science on the part of the current administration (e.g., stem cell research), and we get a clear picture of the Enlightenment being steadily rolled back.

Increasingly, the evidence piles up that intellectually speaking, this nation is very obviously "living in the dark." What is one to make of the fact (reported in the New York Times early in 2005) that a number of school districts around the country are now making sobriety tests a regular feature of the school day? Or that millions of American adults are ignorant of the most elementary facts, such as the identity of our enemy in World War II? Or that more often than not, our children graduate from university not knowing the difference between an argument and an assertion, are unable to reason clearly, and don't really know what evidence is? One listens to a radio interview with a travel agent in Arizona who relates how numerous customers ask him questions such as whether it would be cheaper to take the train to Hawaii rather than the plane; or one reads that 11 percent of young adults can't find the United States on a world map, and that only 13 percent of them can locate Iraq. It turns out that only 12 percent of Americans own a passport, that more than 50 percent were (prior to the fall of the Berlin Wall) unaware that Germany had been split into eastern and western sectors in the aftermath of World War II, and that 45 percent believe that space aliens have visited the earth."

Morris Berman – “Dark Ages​
America - The Final Phase of Empire.”

The Creation Museum, opening May 28, 2007, presents a "walk through history."
The above is the first line in the description on the Museums website. I find it quite telling that they put in the "quotes" around walk through history.

The scientists have no concern here. I predict the museum will have the opposite affect than what is intended. If it actually portrays the earth as less than 10,000 years old, and goes into the instant canyonifcation theories regarding the grand canyon being created as a result of the great flood and man and dinosaurs living together.... It will open up eyes to the mythological, allegorical aspects of the bible.

Yes, I predict many will walk thru this museum and see the light, it will convert many to a new level of understanding.

yes, ur actually spot on... I laugh, and think- daft yanks!

but its a serious business, really...

we're all looking out for the nazi's, but here they are- in ur schools! telling u what to think about things based on no real evidence,. just a load of old assumptions which have already been debunked...

I agree with u wholeheartedly, snoopy... the dark is approaching...

lol or cry?

"Early in 2005 the New York Times reported that increasingly, across the nation, secondary school teachers were leaving the subject of evolution out of the curriculum because they'd get in trouble with their principal if he or she found out they were teaching it. Even when evolution is listed in the curriculum, it may not make it into the classroom. Many administrators discourage teachers from discussing it, and teachers often avoid the topic out of fear of protests from fundamentalist parents.
I don't buy it. This may occur in isolated situations but as a norm science is taught and not creationism. I'd say what does occur in newspapers like the times is sensationalism...anything to sell a paper or a book. We love to run around and point out the dumb american....but there does exist a ring of truth to it, even though it is not the norm.

I don't buy it. This may occur in isolated situations but as a norm science is taught and not creationism. I'd say what does occur in newspapers like the times is sensationalism...anything to sell a paper or a book. We love to run around and point out the dumb american....but there does exist a ring of truth to it, even though it is not the norm.

Hi wil,

Well if you're an American I suppose I defer to you as you're living in amongst it, but I'm guessing the author of this book is American too?

I realise things have to be sexed up in varying degrees by the media but there is a consistent "story" we see in the UK, from various media about the growth of "creationism" in American society. And if from nowhere else, there seems to be a strong thread of this amongst some of the posters on this site; from their own mouths as it were, not created by any media sensationalists. I personally find this all rather sad and not a little worrying, it's 2007 and it's coming from citizens of the world's "only super power."

s.

It sounds like natural selection to me. Naturally, the dinosaurs were not selected by God.

Genesis discloses evolution... Darwin must have peeked. Whereas the engineers that I studied science from all taught creationism. :D

True, I never lived in the Bible belt...but I went to schools in Maryland, New Jersey, Arizona, Nevada...and my kids have attended in Maryland...and I have friends all over the country...and I don't know of anyone who doesn't get science and discussion on big bang, string theory, evolution, as formation of the universe and our environment. Some have discussions on creationism, intelligent design and such, my kids didn't.

As I understand it, in England your youth get some religious education in public school...we do not, very little discussion. My kids got some of the tennents of various religions but only because they had a teacher who added it to the social studies curriculum at the end of the year when everything else was finished. They've got a little more from being in Chorus and presenting Winter Pageants...with Christian, Jewish, and African songs. In the process of learning the songs they got some of the religious traditions behind the words.

Now I'm speaking of public schools, at religious schools I have no idea of the curriculum...and full well could be completely creationism in some. Although the church school which houses my sons scout troop I've seen posters on evolution...and no big red Xs through them...

Kindest Regards, Blazn!
LOUISVILLE, Ky. -- A museum where Adam and Eve share exhibit space with dinosaurs is drawing criticism from groups of science educators as it nears completion.

FWIW, there is another that has been around for quite a few years already, in Glen Rose, Texas, south of Dallas. It is beside the Paluxy River, for anybody interested (I've been there). The Paluxy River is renowned for its dinosaur tracks...and somewhat mocked for its human prints in the same strata.

Creation Evidence Museum - Can we Know the God of Creation? Who Am I? Where Did I Come From? What Is My Purpose Here? Where Am I Going? Learn the scientific evidence for creation and the answers to many of life's important questions

Kindest Regards, wil! and everyone else too!
I don't buy it. This may occur in isolated situations but as a norm science is taught and not creationism.
From what little I know of the various school districts across the 4 states I have lived in, this is correct. I think the only places stirring up a ruckus in recent time are in Missouri, and then it is confined (I forget exactly where, but not the whole state). There may be some sympathy in neighboring Kansas.

I'd say what does occur in newspapers like the times is sensationalism...anything to sell a paper or a book. We love to run around and point out the dumb american....but there does exist a ring of truth to it, even though it is not the norm.
Yep...sensationalism.

And while some among us are quick to point out the lunacy of "unlearned peoples" driving the enlightenment into the dark, let us also remember that such thinking dogmatizes science. While the extreme of both positions seems to me lunacy (even science gets things wrong), I believe the "truth" lies somewhere in between.

juantoo3 said:
FWIW, there is another that has been around for quite a few years already, in Glen Rose, Texas, south of Dallas. It is beside the Paluxy River, for anybody interested (I've been there). The Paluxy River is renowned for its dinosaur tracks...and somewhat mocked for its human prints in the same strata.

Yup. It is also a big religious retreat destination. I remember walking across a riverbed on some kind of log when I was a kid. Don't remember much else...

Creationism, was the core statement for a long time. Evolution is a statement that is less than 200 years old. Neither can claim concrete proof of anything historical. Yet a PHD in science supercedes a Doctorate in religious history? Since when does the upstart have all the answers? Since when does the "old man" have all the answers?

Maybe the Irish have it right and the rest of the world's view is "Blarney". Hmmm? There be witches and elves and faeries, and goblins, and gnomes, and "dragons"...they can't be proven either...

Religious types should keep an open mind, Scientific types should keep an open mind, and the rest of us should keep searching, and pushing those "experts" to keep searching...

Adam and Eve have as significant a part to play in our lives as "Dino" the dyno...they both cause us to ask more questions, and seek out answers.

To attempt to debunk one or the other, is "censureship". If they can't walk hand in hand (which I see no problem with), let them at least walk side by side.

My thoughts

v/r

Q

Quahom1 very well said.

Don't let the loud extremists on either side of the fence fool you into thinking they represent the majority in whatever group they belong to. They are nothing but bullies. They respond to serious topics with blatantly hurtful comments. If you have enough brain power to operate a PC you should know that being cold and hurtful to someone will never convince them that you are correct. It necessarily follows that they are responding for some self serving, ego stroking reason. This forum is supposed to provide a place for us to come together and learn something. Shame on those of you who would destroy that.

Yes, well said Quahom. Scientists and theologians should confine themselves to their respective fields of expertise. Scientists by and large do. Theologians don't. That needs to change. And the respective expertise of both isn't really equatable. Theologians are experts on matters which have very little import in the realm of existential reality. They are the keepers of myth and the traditional interpretation of myth. They don't serve any truly essential function. The same cannot be said of scientists.

Kindest Regards, Sunny! Have we met? Welcome to CR!
Scientists and theologians should confine themselves to their respective fields of expertise.
Hear! Hear! In this I am most certainly in agreement with Stephen J. Gould and his concept of separate magisteria.

Scientists by and large do. Theologians don't.
With this I disagree. Science frequently makes forays into the field of religion, quite often with no other purpose than to attempt to debunk it. One need only look at the story behind Dawkin's "meme theory" as but one very well known example.

That needs to change.
I agree, but that attempt should not be one sided.

And the respective expertise of both isn't really equatable. Theologians are experts on matters which have very little import in the realm of existential reality. They are the keepers of myth and the traditional interpretation of myth. They don't serve any truly essential function. The same cannot be said of scientists.
I would disagree. Spirit, love, awe, respect, morality...these are but a few of the existential realities science deigns to address, but by the nature of its process, cannot truly fathom...let alone claim expertise over. Certainly not at the expense of religion. ;)

Kindest Regards, Free, welcome to CR!

If you have enough brain power to operate a PC you should know that being cold and hurtful to someone will never convince them that you are correct. It necessarily follows that they are responding for some self serving, ego stroking reason. This forum is supposed to provide a place for us to come together and learn something. Shame on those of you who would destroy that.
There is another here who claims Christianity and Freemasonry, I do hope you two meet. Keep a look out for cyberpi, you two seem to share a lot in your views. ;)

Science frequently makes forays into the field of religion, quite often with no other purpose than to attempt to debunk it. One need only look at the story behind Dawkin's "meme theory" as but one very well known example.

I guess it's a different thing when one wants to sell books. There seems to be a popular movement toward using eastern philosophical and spiritual concepts and cosmology as an analogy for explaining quantum physics. A lot gets lost in the process, but at least it makes very complex concepts a little easier for the layman to understand. I read Dawkins latest book. He makes a lot of valid points, but unfortunately it takes the form of an extended rant. But then again, he's trying to sell the book by making it appeal to atheists' preconcieved stereotypes of religion.

Creationism, was the core statement for a long time. Evolution is a statement that is less than 200 years old. Neither can claim concrete proof of anything historical. Yet a PHD in science supercedes a Doctorate in religious history? Since when does the upstart have all the answers? Since when does the "old man" have all the answers?

Maybe the Irish have it right and the rest of the world's view is "Blarney". Hmmm? There be witches and elves and faeries, and goblins, and gnomes, and "dragons"...they can't be proven either...

Religious types should keep an open mind, Scientific types should keep an open mind, and the rest of us should keep searching, and pushing those "experts" to keep searching...

Adam and Eve have as significant a part to play in our lives as "Dino" the dyno...they both cause us to ask more questions, and seek out answers.

To attempt to debunk one or the other, is "censureship". If they can't walk hand in hand (which I see no problem with), let them at least walk side by side.

My thoughts

v/r

Q

My highlighting.

I think on the the whole they do. There are a few noisy exceptions like Dawkins and some of the American Creationists. When are we all gona learn that he who bangs a drum the loudest still does not have to be taken seriously?

Back