Christianity Subforum Poll

Liberal/Alternative Christianity Forum

• 1. Leave things the way they are.

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • 2. Keep Liberal Christianity Forum, but move to Christianity as a subforum

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • 3. Rename Lib Forum to "Alternative Christianity" and leave in Belief and Spirituality

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4. Rename Lib to "Alternative Christianity" and move to Christianity as a subforum

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • 5. Option 4 but also create a "Traditional Christianity" Subforum under the main Christianity Forum

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • 6. Just remove the Lib forum and have one Christianity forum

Votes: 7 33.3%
  • 7. Other, please explain

Votes: 4 19.0%

• Total voters

lunamoth

Episcopalian
Reaction score
Hi All,

In light of the discussion going on in BB's dialogue about dialogue thread I would like to make a suggestion about the Christianity forums.

I suggest that we 1. rename the Liberal Christianity forum "Alternative Christianity" and 2. move it back to the main Christianity board.

To accomplish the move we could either make it a sub-sub forum under the main Christianity forum, or we could have two subforums in Abrahamic: Traditional Christianity and Alternative Christianity.

Comments?

(BTW, I am asking this as luna the member, not as luna the moderator. Also, athough Brian has changed the format of moderating so that we all help each other out more, Juan and Q are still the main mods in this forum.)

Last edited:
Note: I just edited the poll to add the option: Just remove the liberal forum and have one Christianity forum as before.

This is a real toughie for me.

On the one hand, I feel that it makes it easier to converse with people who are on the same wavelength (ala Dondi's comments in "dialogue") and many people seem comfortable with having a "liberal" board.

But it's called "Comparitive Religion". I think it is a better source of comparison and witnessing to have "one Lord, one faith" and one Christianity board. And I think it's a great test of showing Christ's love that we can all be respectful of one another's views.

Perhaps this is too idealistic, but I'd give it a shot. I'll find a way to enjoy sharing either way.

Thanks, Luna, for the opportunity.

Best regards,
Mark

Last edited:
Hi Laurie!

I would prefer to see Liberal dropped and a Christianity For Debate sub forum added to Abrahamic. The guideline would be that Christianity stays pretty much how it is, and Debate is for open debate and dialog. Anything that ruffles or offends could easily be bumped down to Debate.

That said, I voted for number five. I think the traditionalists have been clear in expressing their desire for a separate board, and ignoring their wishes will bring us around yet again to this point if they aren't happy or feel disenfranchised.

Chris

namaste all, as you are all used to me being obtuse...no worries it will continue...

Christianity for debate...sort of oogie for me, discussion maybe...yes I push the envelope a little to some a lot to many...but I love the teachings, life and stories of Jesus...I'm not debating Christianity...I'm discussing the breadth of it to a length that some can't take. While I'm perfectly ok to be called liberal, in my mind...I'm a traditional Christian, one that would be prior to the creed, when it was all open to be discussed and each of us had a booklet we read and shared....and nobody was in control of the big scroll, and nobody selected and collected our little booklets canonizing some of them and rejecting others...

I'm drawing an arch with my toe, and see if you'll complete my fish and lets get into it...

I'm checking other...whatever happens I'll probably continue to play...

I say leave things as they are. {Maybe change the word 'liberal'}

Everyone deserves a sanctuary where they don't have to feel like they are going to get chased off.

lol, I have heard that many Americans seem to consider Liberal a dirty word.... it seems like I am seeing this first hand now. :D

I think you need a Christianity for debate( or something like that): To include skeptics and ex Christians, those questioning things and opening the envelope, making comparisons etc. Also there is a lot to debate about fundamentalism v's other more liberal Christian views.

Also Traditional Christianity for those who don't want anything to veer from the Bible.

Alternative Christianity - for those who like to stretch the envelope. mysticism etc..

I voted for 5. above. I am also wondering if many Christians here are from the US. I think a certain kind of American Christianity is very vocal and this viewpoint is what can colour the Christian board.

I voted "other" for a number of reasons, partly because my desires are pretty well known as well as the why behind my thinking, and partly because it is not my decision in the end to make; it is administrative. I will deal with and work with whatever format is presented...the only caveat I insist upon is civility. If whatever format (new or old) is not conducive to civility, what is the purpose?

I went with #5 as well. Although I like the idea of a Christian Debate forum, I fear that it could turn into something nasty. I wouldn't want it to turn into a shouting match. All rules of debate ought to apply.

Hi,

I’m not voting cos they’re not my sandpits but I have two penneth if anyone wants them.

• Currently the Liberal Christianity sub-forum is under B&S. What’s that all about? It should be under Abrahamic Religions, if it continues to exist in some form.
  • Is the debate going on a microcosm of the potential schism in the church world wide? Are you trying to play King Canute with the tide?
  • Personally I think the prefix “Alternative” to be, well, silly. It reminds me of Alternative Rock; and look what happened to that!
  • You could sub-divide Christianity into a squillion sub-forums and apart from the lack of activity in most of them you could still manage to get fur flying, because, at the end of the day it’s about behaviour of the individuals, not simply the beliefs IMO. Two people can have completely different views on an issue but, if they so wish, can have a civilised debate/dialogue/discussion about it. The crux is whether or not they want to be civilised. If you see something you don’t agree with it’s not compulsory to respond.
  • I just can’t get my head round the whole thing of having the two forums (I know a little of the history). Are you talking about the same religion or not??
  • By analogy, if there was a Pure Land Buddhism (or whatever) sub-forum under B&S I’d be voting for (6).
s.

TE said:
I have heard that many Americans seem to consider Liberal a dirty word.... it seems like I am seeing this first hand now.
Yeah funny huh, and it is an interesting word to....what would it mean if I spread Christianity liberally?
Also Traditional Christianity for those who don't want anything to veer from the Bible.

Alternative Christianity - for those who like to stretch the envelope. mysticism etc..
See there we got again....Traditional Christianity by the above definition is Christianity as defined after the 4th century and alternative Christianity would be include many of those from Jesus's time up until the universal church took over...

All so complicated or is it just me making it so?

Yeah, this one is hard for me, too. With all my heart, I wish I believed that one Christianity board would work out best. But we’ve been there, done that. There are subjects that come up which I just don’t think can be ever be discussed without an element of what some might call “righteous wrath” on both sides. There are wonderful people here with diametrically opposing viewpoints—wait, make that “convictions”. So, while I do think we have made some recent progress coming together in some areas, I still think there are some that we are nowhere near being able to resolve without once again calling an unwanted kind of attention to ourselves rather than magnifying Jesus Christ.

The term “Liberal Christian” has actually grown on me and here’s why: If I was someone out there looking for a safe place to ask my questions without fear of offending someone regarding tradition, I might see that word “liberal” and think it a good starting place, especially if I had felt out-of-place around Christians before. I’m not sure that “alternative” holds forth the same connotation. I don’t know—it just sounds more complicated. And maybe a little redundant since we already have the alternative boards. Any thoughts on this?

I haven’t decided yet. I thought I’d go ahead and post what I’m struggling with and maybe get some feedback before I cast my vote.

InPeace,
InLove

Yeah, this one is hard for me, too. With all my heart, I wish I believed that one Christianity board would work out best. But we’ve been there, done that. There are subjects that come up which I just don’t think can be ever be discussed without an element of what some might call “righteous wrath” on both sides. There are wonderful people here with diametrically opposing viewpoints—wait, make that “convictions”. So, while I do think we have made some recent progress coming together in some areas, I still think there are some that we are nowhere near being able to resolve without once again calling an unwanted kind of attention to ourselves rather than magnifying Jesus Christ.

But even Jesus was a separatist, and diametrically opposed some of the teachings of the religious leaders of his day. I don't think we will ever resolve our differences. Maybe we shouldn't try. After all, convictions come from within.

Personally I'd rather remove the Liberal Christianity board and simply move all of the threads into the Christianity board, and push on inclusivism rather than exclusivism as an approach for all faith boards.

I mean, if we have a Liberal Christianity board, when do we get a Catholic board? Then a JW board? Then a Protestant board? Then ... we no longer have a single place to discuss Christianity, but instead a single faith artificially divided into different sects and schisms which at present I don't think would be helpful for anybody.

The only reason I don't simply remove it at present is because I appreciate that some people, such as wil, have made the liberal board something of their safe place on CR, and I really don't want to start rocking the boat at a time when I'd much prefer everything to be relatively settled.

Sure, that means we'd probably end up seeing liberal and conservative viewpoints engaging actively in the same threads on a more regular basis, but I have seen this working before elsewhere, and think that all we need is the will to accept that Christianity itself is a very diverse sphere, and so discussions of Christianity will be necessarily diverse.

Okay, I have another question which I think will help me decide on how to vote. Does "Esoteric Christianity" describe Christianity that is not necessarily Abrahamic in origen? And if so, how inclusive is it of streams like Christian Druidry, Native American Spirituality, etc.? That may sound like a crazy question to some, but maybe someone can attempt a response?

Okay, I have another question which I think will help me decide on how to vote. Does "Esoteric Christianity" describe Christianity that is not necessarily Abrahamic in origen? And if so, how inclusive is it of streams like Christian Druidry, Native American Spirituality, etc.? That may sound like a crazy question to some, but maybe someone can attempt a response?

I don't know the answer to your question InLove. Thomas might be the best person to explain this one. If he does not notice this thread soon maybe I'll ask him by PM. Good question. :)

Back