Motorway at 5,000 yr old Hill of Tara, Ireland

ardenz

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I've not been posting as I am getting worked up about our new (old Government). Maybe some of you of various persuasions would care to sign the online petition against the Motorway at the Stone Age Hill of Tara in Co. Meath, Ireland. It is the seat of the High Kings and dates back 5,000 years. It is truly a sacred place.

In our modern madness for all things shiny and new and especially as a result of bad development our incompetent government is putting a motorway through this sacred valley. It has recently been put on a list of the 100 most endangered monuments by the World Monument Fund : World Monuments Watch

The Ruling Fianna Fail party has gone into coalition with The Green Party, which should be a good thing, but has silenced them on this issue.

Save the Tara/Skryne(Gabhra) Valley from the destruction posed by the proposed construction of the M3 Motorway.
Hill of Tara - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Save The Hill of Tara, the National Monument of Ireland Petition

What price progress?

signed,
an angry Ardenz:mad::mad:

Last edited:
Hi Ardenz,

Terrible that this was ever even considered. Signed it... now I wanna slap the idiot who thot it up :):p:D

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Thanks for signing the petition[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]It's not just war that destroys heritage an sacred places.
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"The Hill of Tara, known as Temair in gaeilge, was once the ancient seat of power in Ireland – 142 kings are said to have reigned there in prehistoric and historic times. In ancient Irish religion and mythology Temair was the sacred place of dwelling for the gods, and was the entrance to the otherworld. Saint Patrick is said to have come to Tara to confront the ancient religion of the pagans at its most powerful site.[/FONT]​
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]One interpretation of the name Tara says that it means a "place of great prospect" and indeed on a clear day it is claimed that features in half the counties of Ireland can be seen from atop Tara. In the distance to the northwest can be seen the brilliant white quartz front of Newgrange and further north lies the Hill of Slane, where according to legend St. Patrick lit his Pascal fire prior to his visit to Tara in 433 AD.[/FONT]​
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Early in the 20th century a group of Israelites came to Tara with the conviction that the Arc of the Covenant was buried in on the famous hill. They dug the Mound of the Synods in search of the Arc but found only some Roman coins. Official excavation in the 1950s revealed circles of post holes, indicating the construction of substantial buildings here. A new theory suggests Tara was the ancient capital of the lost kingdom of Atlantis. The mythical land of Atlantis was Ireland, according to a new book."[/FONT]​

Signed...... and remembered in the blue mists of an autumn evening, a place where it could still be felt the ancient remained in guardianship, a place of honour and balance over the emerald isle.

- c -

Signed...... and remembered in the blue mists of an autumn evening, a place where it could still be felt the ancient remained in guardianship, a place of honour and balance over the emerald isle.

- c -

Thanks Ciel

I also heard that there are plans to expand the road around Stonehenge.

Should we moderns not respect the past, even if there are belief systems that we may not necessarily agree with. Surely the disrespect that we have of the planet and its ancient history and cultures is reflected in our societal problems, in cutting ourselves off we are losing our way. And the roads won't help us find our way back.

To some sacred... To others just a pile of rocks that are an obstacle in the way of progression.

One man's old useless crap is another mans treasure..... Apparently...

I don't know where you stand on Cultural history, 17th. I am not a nationalist, but our culture in Ireland goes back thousands of years and most of our heritage and special places withstood hundreds of years of occupation, until now we are destroying it ourselves. It is My spiritual homeland - the rocks, the trees, rivers, the ocean, it is the place I will always come back to.

Somewhere else on this forum, someone else mentioned that veneration of our ancestors is relatively modern phenomena. But what happens when we cut ourselves off ? Treat our ancestors graves as if they were rubbish, dig them up with mechanical diggers.

If we can't respect our own culture and heritage, how are we to respect anyone elses ? :(

This topic was previously brought up here in 2004 :http://www.comparative-religion.com/forum/action-alert-heart-of-ireland-1739.html

Here is what often happens in the US...

Mr. Big's corporation has an idea and looks for cheap land or something his campaign donations over the years can get the gov't to acquire for him.

Project moves forward in preliminary stages and public uproar ensues.

Information on both sides is heated...Mr. Big begins an effort to inform the movers and shakers of the area of their personal benefit which will be reaped.

Some other entrepreneurs option neighboring properties in hopes of tagging on the coattails of Mr. Big's operation (hotels, resturants, gas stations, shoping..) These landowners will now make some windfall profits, but only if the project goes thru...

A few years transpire and when it is brought up again there is some more support at the council level (good old campaign donations) and some more of the public is saying how much it will benefit the local economy (and their pockets)....but there is still those nagging environmental or historical protestors...

Cost of doing business a deal is reached, Mr. Big will create a museum, a permanent buffer zone, and whatever else is needed to sanctify the protestors....some will still object, but the others will say...'This is better than nothing, we can't stop it anyway, we may as well take it'...

And it eventually goes forward....

Say this scenario happens... They make a road.... The hill/pile of stones/whatever is removed... Because of the event of people making a main road.....

What truly has happened that was bad?

I too am not a nationlist.. I would say in my case, stone henge has got to be one of the oldest I've seen it a few times... Great, but if it was to go... It wouldn't effect my life would it? Well the only way it would effect me is if I was travelling... I would get some where faster... That's aboot it..... Then again I am not one to hang on to the past and fail to see importance of such things.... :(

Too stay focused on the past, you'll miss the present.... and most likley the future ;/

Here is what often happens in the US...
Mr. Big's corporation has an idea and looks for cheap land or something his campaign donations over the years can get the gov't to acquire for him.

Project moves forward in preliminary stages and public uproar ensues.

.......And it eventually goes forward....

yes, this is more or less what happened here. Business people wanted a stake in the commercial land around the monument. The very vocal protesters have put off the moderates and the politicians just move on to their next position.

17th Angel,

I've travelled around the English motorways and their bland reststops and they are the most depressing places in the world. Save us from "little chef" and travellodges.

I don't live in the past, but Globalisation seems to be spreading a bland homogeny that doesn't seem to make people any happier.

Let me have that pile of stones, please, preferably without the large carpark and visitors centre beside it.:)

The road ain't there for fun and enjoyment... It's there to get you elsewhere.... :/

you would say that , wouldn't you, 17th :rolleyes:

But what if the elsewhere is covered in motorways, too? We do like our cars don't we. what'll we do when the oil runs out ?

thanks Dondi, Muslimwoman and others for signing the petition.

I got a letter into one of our national papers about this issue today !!

from the vatican via cnn...

'Drivers' Ten Commandments'

The "Drivers' Ten Commandments," as listed by the document, are:
1. You shall not kill.
2. The road shall be for you a means of communion between people and not of mortal harm.
3. Courtesy, uprightness and prudence will help you deal with unforeseen events.
4. Be charitable and help your neighbor in need, especially victims of accidents.
5. Cars shall not be for you an expression of power and domination, and an occasion of sin.
6. Charitably convince the young and not so young not to drive when they are not in a fitting condition to do so.
7. Support the families of accident victims.
8. Bring guilty motorists and their victims together, at the appropriate time, so that they can undergo the liberating experience of forgiveness.
9. On the road, protect the more vulnerable party.
10. Feel responsible toward others.

Back