Why do you believe in G-d?

Interesting.... I have to admit I thought he was Pagan. You learn something new every day... ;)

Very true, I just learned that I am destined to be compost for someone's roses (good job I don't believe it or I may be upset).

Very true, I just learned that I am destined to be compost for someone's roses (good job I don't believe it or I may be upset).

If a person is cremated and their ashes are scattered in a garden of remembrance...?

s.

I don't know as I am (tricky things labels; well for me at least) but all gardeners, theists included, need compost for their roses.:)

s.

Sorry snoopy I wasn't using 'you' as in you personally. Perhaps I should have said if a person is an athiest. :eek:

If a person is cremated and their ashes are scattered in a garden of remembrance...?

s.

I am not allowed to be cremated I am Muslim :p

Oh no I am bound to be offending some champion rose growers now.....

I am not allowed to be cremated I am Muslim :p

Oh no I am bound to be offending some champion rose growers now.....

Sorry MW I also didn't mean you personally. Eeeeh, it's a complicated business. You know, talking and that.

s.

Sorry MW I also didn't mean you personally. Eeeeh, it's a complicated business. You know, talking and that.

s.

Can you imagine how long our posts would get if we had to explain all the people we are not referring to LOL

You talking to me?

s.

Absolutely not, I wouldn't dare, just a huge generalisation, honest - for which I apologise. It does show you what a minefield conversation can be without facial expression and tone of voice. I wonder how blind people cope?

Why do I believe in G-d?

While I've wandered in my belief systems and understandings, they've all been G-d based. I've got friends and associates that are atheists...but I can't actually understand how.

I really don't see how there is a choice.

I really don't see how there is a choice.

I think this is what I am questioning Wil. I agree, I have no choice but why do I have that 'knowledge' (if I may call it that), while others do not? How do I 'know' G-d exists and others are completely oblivious to this. I used to think we are all born with this knowledge and some simply choose to forget or ignore it but now I am not so sure. Am just menatally exploring.

Hi MW,
It seems to me that this knowledge is available to all at all times but is obscured in us by self-reinforced obstacles. The underpinnings of these obstacles include such things as guilt, strong opinions, positions, doubt, unforgivenes, living in the past or future and judgement and measuring tendencies and the like. As these are removed, that which was always present and is self-evident naturally appears as if a wind moved a cloud out of the way to expose that sun that ever shines. Just one way to view the issue and consider.

Love and Peace,
JM

It seems to me that this knowledge is available to all at all times but is obscured in us by self-reinforced obstacles.
The kids in Sunday school and I were discussing something similar today... We went all free flow word association...started out with Judah, and lion references in the bible and courage and twelve tribes, twelve sons, twelve disciples, into what is courage v. adrenaline...how wisdom and understanding tempers...onto where we get understanding...our brain, knowledge, learning...onto the burning bush and I AM indicating take off your sandals you are on Holy ground...into when we are standing what is always under us and how G-d had Moses connect through his feet to the ground...how when we have shoes, sandals, slippers we are not connected to the earth or what is under our standing...how we obscure our connection with self reinforced obstacles (our shoes)....and then it went on and on as they named all the things in their lives that they use as 'shoes' blocking their understanding of their divine nature and attributes....way too much fun...their eyes lit up in each stage of thought that they struggled through and in each revelation...

Hi JM

What a wonderful way to put it (the cloud and sunlight). What I often struggle with in such discussions is my upbringing, my parents have no faith at all and were against my being taught any religion. So I was not taught about G-d as a child in a structured sense, yet my family all remember my constant complaints of "don't stand on that ant it is one of G-d's creatures". So where did this knowledge come from? Why did I believe it so strongly? Yes, as the years passed so did my knowledge of G-d and I thought it gone forever, yet here I am again, with a sure knowledge of His existence and Love for us.

Wil

I wish I had been there to see, is there anything more special than children learning and the looks on their faces as realisation hits and they grasp an idea. You are such a lucky chap.

I have a plan in place when I get back to Egypt to give free english lessons to the community here that cannot afford it and I can't wait to work with younger children, their minds are like sponges and they are so eagre to learn. Please everyone pray for my little project, if it can just change one young life (get them a better job perhaps) my whole life will have been worthwhile.

Oh and if anyone has any fun materials on teaching small children the alphabet or english words I would be so grateful if you could share them with me.

Salaam

BTW, as a fan, do you know that Mr P. is a supporter of the BHA?

British Humanist Association

s.

Thanks a bunch Snoopy, I showed this to my mother, who immediately joined and then read all the out of context, misinterpreted verses from the Quran. I am now in a marathon "explain the Quran, verse by verse" to my mother session. It is bad enough trying to explain it to a stranger but your mother :eek: I may never hear the last of this lol

Hi MW,
It seems to me that this knowledge is available to all at all times but is obscured in us by self-reinforced obstacles. The underpinnings of these obstacles include such things as guilt, strong opinions, positions, doubt, unforgivenes, living in the past or future and judgement and measuring tendencies and the like. As these are removed, that which was always present and is self-evident naturally appears as if a wind moved a cloud out of the way to expose that sun that ever shines. Just one way to view the issue and consider.

Love and Peace,
JM

Hey JM, you and Eihei Dogen would make a great double act; shame you missed each other by a few hundred years and a continent or two. Anyway:

“Truth is perfect and complete in itself. It is not something newly discovered, it has always existed. Truth is not far away, it is ever present. It is not something to be attained since not one of your steps lead away from it.”

Perhaps what some people call G-d, others call Truth?…

s.

Thanks a bunch Snoopy, I showed this to my mother, who immediately joined and then read all the out of context, misinterpreted verses from the Quran. I am now in a marathon "explain the Quran, verse by verse" to my mother session. It is bad enough trying to explain it to a stranger but your mother :eek: I may never hear the last of this lol

Don't mention it.:p

Maybe this answers your own musings about why you don't suggest others join CR!

s.

PS Hi mum:)!

Maybe this answers your own musings about why you don't suggest others join CR!

PS Hi mum:)!

In future I shall deny all knowledge of CR "who me, never heard of it" lol

She says Hi and thanks for the link.

Back