do you know God by name

Do You Know God by Name?
Learn what the Bible says about getting to know God by name. i have just finished reading this online book , ................. i found it good reading .

His is a name that can not be spoken...The Jews will tell you that, and they've been around a lot longer than you or I.

His is a name that can not be spoken...The Jews will tell you that, and they've been around a lot longer than you or I.
the spiritual Jews are known for making known his name ,it is as if they have that name on their foreheads for all to see. and it is very visible .
"And I saw, and, look! the Lamb standing upon the Mount Zion, and with him a hundred and forty-four thousand having his name and the name of his Father written on their foreheads." (Revelation 14:1) yes they are not ashamed to bear that name .

the spiritual Jews are known for making known his name ,it is as if they have that name on their foreheads for all to see. and it is very visible .
"And I saw, and, look! the Lamb standing upon the Mount Zion, and with him a hundred and forty-four thousand having his name and the name of his Father written on their foreheads." (Revelation 14:1) yes they are not ashamed to bear that name .

How do you pronounce that Name, mee?

That makes them right? lol.... I can name religions waaaay older than the jews.... Are they right too? I dunno if I picked up on that in a odd way... Just I got something odd like; Oh look at that bright orb floating in the sky it's a god!! we must please... Years later No...... It's called the s-u-n yeaaaa suuuuun. *shrugs*

--Edit--

All I see in that picture is: 17 17 :D

i have just finished reading this online book , ................. i found it good reading .
Now mee, are we to be surprised? The day I'll be surprised is when you don't post a watchtower link, when you don't post something that is particularly witness thought but step out of the box and actually discuss something you yourself have contemplated.
Q, is referring I believe to naming the nameless, to the fact that by providing a name you are diminishing the whole, attempting to define the undefinable. When I read the name written on their forheads, I see it as the scripture that refers to your eye being singular, your thought so focused, it is the first thing on your mind, in the forefront of all....like Michelangelo's painting of creation, the the thought represented as creator reaching out from the frontal lobe and manifesting...
michelangelo_creation_of_adam.jpg

Q, is referring I believe to naming the nameless, to the fact that by providing a name you are diminishing the whole, attempting to define the undefinable.

I've never really thought of name as defining someone in their entirety, or that even being the purpose of a name? Isn't a name basically a word which distinguishes one person from another? - In which case, for those who believe God to be a personal deity what would be the problem in having a name/s to distinguish Him from other living beings?

If God is an omnipotent, but yet loving personality, he might quite enjoy having a host of names given to him by the various people throughout the universe?

... Neemai :)

If God is an omnipotent, but yet loving personality, he might quite enjoy having a host of names given to him by the various people throughout the universe?
he does have lots of names.

"What is God's name? Humans all have personal names. Why, many people even name their pets! Would it not be reasonable for God to have a name? Having and using personal names is unquestionably a vital part of human relationships and interactions. Should it be different when it comes to our relationship with God?"

Learn what the Bible says about getting to know God by name. i have just finished reading this online book , ................. i found it good reading .

Mee,

God is not a human but rather Spirit. So why is it necessary to limit God to a human name as your article does? God is also not a pet that requires a name to use such a comparison. It seems to me to NOT be reasonable for God to have a name as if any would be fitting. Doing so encourages exclusivity to a particular people and in my view, God excludes no language or people.

When having an interaction with God, it is not a human relationship as the article supposes that requires a personal name. Since God knows even before we ask, it is not necessary to address or limit God to a personal name as if God were an individual.

In the NT Jesus is not recorded using an individual personal name. He called God 'Father' and told us to pray to him as our 'Father'. Just a few tidbits to consider concerning your article you found good reading.

Love and Peace,
JM

In the NT Jesus is not recorded using an individual personal name. He called God 'Father' and told us to pray to him as our 'Father'.

Yes - "Our Father, who art in Heaven, Hallowed be Thy Name". ;)

... Neemai :D

...Jesus...called God 'Father' and told us to pray to him as our 'Father'...JM
kind of reminds me of going to the store, you see a kid looking for his parents, they call out DAD!!! or MOM!!! they never call out AL!!! or MARIA!!! the kids call them by a more intimate name that reflects they are their child.

kind of reminds me of going to the store, you see a kid looking for his parents, they call out DAD!!! or MOM!!! they never call out AL!!! or MARIA!!! the kids call them by a more intimate name that reflects they are their child.
and haven't I read that the Aramaic name Jesus used was more akin to Daddy than it was to Father? That as you intimate it was more intimate...not formal, separate, on a pedestal 'Father' but loving, curl up in the easy chair and let's go play ball 'Daddy'

Kindest Regards, mee!

yes they are not ashamed to bear that name .
With all due respect, the name of the Most High cannot be pronounced with a "J," due to the simple fact that letter is a very recent literary invention. Likewise, if we are on about "proper" names, neither can the Christian Messiah's name be pronounced as "Jesus" for precisely the same reason. Or John, or James, or Jedediah for that matter. The letter "j" was invented more than 1500 years after "Jesus" died. So I find it striking that one can go on and on about remaining "true" to words and letters that didn't exist at the time they were initially written, even (especially!) if the original authors were Divinely Inspired. What we have and hold and read and take to heart are translations of translations, with a lot of nuance left out. I know you have argued in the past of the integrity of the translators for the translation you prefer, and I do not here question their integrity, perhaps they did not see or understand. At least in the 1611 KJV I have in my library, the commission of learned scholars wrote letters to the King and to the people stating emphatically that they did the best they could with what they knew, but that a great amount of the text they were dealing with (the Textus Receptus) was not convenient to English translation, and that the linguistics by necessity had to be adjusted to read better in English.

Point being, for proper pronunciation of Hebrew, Greek and Chaldee words, I would advise the scholar (aka: seeker of truth) to return to those languages and pronounce the words in their native tongue(s). Of course, this is highly problematic when dealing specifically with the name of the Most High, considering the *Commandment* not to take His Name in vain. This is not just a Jewish thing, it is incumbent upon all Abrahamic traditions. Suffice it to say, "Jehovah" is at best an English corruption of the Name of the Most High. I'm sorry, but that is the historical and linguistic fact on the matter.

I applaud your tenacity. I merely feel it is misdirected. But then, we all have our own issues to deal with, yes?

I am a Christian, of Judeac base/background...but I make no claim to being a "spiritual Jew". I am neither of the tribe of Judah, nor of the blood, nor am I a religious person who claims the Jewish faith.

I think that is something Y'all made up for whatever reasons...

But it has no merit in scripture.

v/r

Q

Kindest Regards, mee!
With all due respect, the name of the Most High cannot be pronounced with a "J," due to the simple fact that letter is a very recent literary invention. Likewise, if we are on about "proper" names, neither can the Christian Messiah's name be pronounced as "Jesus" for precisely the same reason. Or John, or James, or Jedediah for that matter. The letter "j" was invented more than 1500 years after "Jesus" died. So I find it striking that one can go on and on about remaining "true" to words and letters that didn't exist at the time they were initially written, even (especially!) if the original authors were Divinely Inspired. What we have and hold and read and take to heart are translations of translations, with a lot of nuance left out. I know you have argued in the past of the integrity of the translators for the translation you prefer, and I do not here question their integrity, perhaps they did not see or understand. At least in the 1611 KJV I have in my library, the commission of learned scholars wrote letters to the King and to the people stating emphatically that they did the best they could with what they knew, but that a great amount of the text they were dealing with (the Textus Receptus) was not convenient to English translation, and that the linguistics by necessity had to be adjusted to read better in English.

Point being, for proper pronunciation of Hebrew, Greek and Chaldee words, I would advise the scholar (aka: seeker of truth) to return to those languages and pronounce the words in their native tongue(s). Of course, this is highly problematic when dealing specifically with the name of the Most High, considering the *Commandment* not to take His Name in vain. This is not just a Jewish thing, it is incumbent upon all Abrahamic traditions. Suffice it to say, "Jehovah" is at best an English corruption of the Name of the Most High. I'm sorry, but that is the historical and linguistic fact on the matter.

I applaud your tenacity. I merely feel it is misdirected. But then, we all have our own issues to deal with, yes?

The letter "V" wasn't used either...at least not in the Middle east.

v/r

Q

I am a Christian, of Judeac base/background...but I make no claim to being a "spiritual Jew". I am neither of the tribe of Judah, nor of the blood, nor am I a religious person who claims the Jewish faith.

I think that is something Y'all made up for whatever reasons...

But it has no merit in scripture.

v/r

Q
As you are not a spiritual Jew ,then you most be one of the potential OTHER SHEEP that Jesus said would listen to his voice John 10;16 and these other sheep are a great crowd Indeed from all nations .
REVELATION 7;9-10 And even though this numberless crowd is great , more sheep are still to be added to this crowd . And this crowd will be on the side of the Almighty when the great day of JEHOVAH happens .But 144,000 spiritual Jews who are also from all nations, will be going to heaven to rule with Jesus in the kingdom .
"Have no fear, little flock, because your Father has approved of giving you the kingdom."—LUKE 12:32.
That is why Jesus called them a little flock, because compared to the GREAT CROWD of other sheep it is a small number .
nolonger is circumcision in the flesh needed to identify spiritual Jews, or the fact that they come from Abrahams loins , but circumcision of the heart proves a person to be a true Jew in God’s sight. and these ones are from all nations . And yes, some of them are fleshly Jews but that is not important any longer they have circumcised their hearts so to speak (Deut. 10:16; 30:6; Jer. 4:4)
For neither is circumcision anything nor is uncircumcision, but a new creation [is something]. And all those who will walk orderly by this rule of conduct, upon them be peace and mercy, even upon the Israel of God. GALATIANS 6;15-16
There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor freeman, there is neither male nor female; for YOU are all one [person] in union with Christ Jesus. Moreover, if YOU belong to Christ, YOU are really Abraham’s seed, heirs with reference to a promise.GALATIANS 3;28-29
Jesus Christ pointed out to the religious leaders of Judaism who had rejected him: "The kingdom of God will be taken from you and be given to a nation producing its fruits." (Matt. 21:43) That nation proved to be the nation of spiritual Israel, composed of both Jews and non-Jews who accepted Jesus Christ as their Lord. .................... These are the ones that will be going to heaven to rule with Jesus .
And they sing a new song, saying: "You are worthy to take the scroll and open its seals, because you were slaughtered and with your blood you bought persons for God out of every tribe and tongue and people and nation, and you made them to be a kingdom and priests to our God, and they are to rule as kings over the earth."REVELATION 5;9-10

When I read the name written on their forheads, I see it as the scripture that refers to your eye being singular, your thought so focused, it is the first thing on your mind, in the forefront of all
Yes, you are right about that, their focus really has been that great name. And they really have brought it to the fore ,and their focus has not diminished. they have even put that great name back into the bible where it rightly belongs. and their focus has always been on the name of the most high JEHOVAH
psalm 83;18 and their focus has always been to remain faithful to that God of the bible by not watering down his standards and ways. yes they have been very focused indeed .

Back