No More Prophets

StrivingForTruth

Reaction score
Okay i was browsing through some Jewish forums, and many jews in thos forums have written/stated that prophethood or prophecy has ceased, and has been like this since the age of prophecy in Judaism had come to a close so this would mean that people like Jesus, John The Baptist and Muhammad(pbuh) who are considered to be prophets by Christians, Muslims and Bahais cannot be considered to be prophets, as they came later after that prophetic era, but one thing strikes me then if Jews do no consider Jesus and Muhammad(pbuh) to be prophets then who is the mysterious prophets that will be like Moses(pbuh) that G-D said he will raise up in Deuteronomy 18

Striving,

prophecy in Judaism at the same level as that of the biblical nevi'im has ceased for the time being according to most, but other levels of prophecy are still current. That doesn't necessarily exclude other people from their own prophecies. Judaism holds that the Torah is a revelation to the Jewish people, not a universal one that binds all of mankind.

but one thing strikes me then if Jews do no consider Jesus and Muhammad(pbuh) to be prophets then who is the mysterious prophets that will be like Moses(pbuh) that G-D said he will raise up in Deuteronomy 18

There is no reason to rush and attach any prophecy to a historical figure as time has not ended. But Judaism doesn't hold that to refer to a specific person, but instead to be a general guideline for assessing an individual's prophethood. Alternatively, it could also imply Joshua who follows immediately after Moses and holds a very similar function.

Dauer

Back