Forrest Gump: Christ Figure

Dondi

Reaction score
I'm turning this tongue and cheek expose in response to the thread on 'Use Harry Potter to spread Christian message'. While I'm against using such secular movies and books for personal montery gain with the pretense of spreading the Word, I couldn't help but remember when watching "Forrest Gump" recently, something clicked during director Robert Zemeckis' commentary that prompted me to make some astute comparisions between the character of Forrest Gump and Jesus Christ. My mind just raced away with it, for some reason. but I thought I might share these with you.

Part I:

The other day, I happened to be watching Forrest Gump on DVD, but this time I ran the audio commentary with director Robert Zemeckis. I was struck by how they envisioned Forrest having effect on the lives of people he encountered, both personal and public figures. And I began to draw strong parallels between the character of Forrest and Jesus Christ. Some are listed below

Innocent
Unchanging
Unjudgmental
Forgiving
Stable
Loving

So it seems that Forrest is a Christ figure in this movie. Follow these examples

Lt. Dan – Destined for fame as a post humorous war hero following a long line of ancestors who have died in every war since the beginning of the nation’s birth. Becomes embittered when Forrest thwarts that destiny by saving his life in Vietnam and now is reduced to a life as a cripple, a fate worse than death for Lt. Dan. But Forrest knows LT. Dan’s sorrow and can empathize, for he knows what it was like not to have use of his legs, too.

Salvation: The curse becomes a blessing when LT Dan challenges God in Hurricane Camille, as the only shrimp boat to ride the storm. He challenges and curses God to try and sink the boat. But God will not kill Lt. Dan, for that is what he wants. Instead, the boat becomes the only one left intact from the storm and thus becomes the monopoly in the Delta shrimping business and making Forrest and Lt. Dan rich. God shows mercy to Lt. Dan, that His way is a better way. Lt. Dan thanks Forrest for saving his life and makes his peace with God.

Caveat: Earlier in the film, LT. Dan asks Forrest if he ever found Jesus and Forrest replies, “I didn’t know we were supposed to be looking for Him.” (best line in the film, IMO), and then LT. Dan laments that he’s told by a priest that he will walk in the kingdom of heaven, “God is listening? What a crock of sh!t!”

But then he actually does walk, toward the end of the movie, when he shows up for Forrest’s wedding (and notice he remains standing at the ceremony, which I’m told that amputees, after receiving new legs, don’t like to sit down having been in a wheel chair for so long). The kingdom of heaven is now.

Jenny – Free-floater, having been physically, sexually, and emotionally abused, tries to flee life and seeks solace in drugs, alcohol, rock and roll, prostitution, stripping, running from guy to guy, but losing herself in the quagmire she has immersed herself.

Salvation: Jenny runs from destiny like a bird in flight that she never got her prayer answered from God for. For the pain of her childhood drives her to escape her life. But doing so means running from that stable factor that she has in Forrest. She doesn’t have to fly, for Forrest offers her a better life. Yet she is felt driven by free-willing (She didn’t have much free will at home with her father) destructive tendencies.

Yet, she keeps coming back to Forrest. There is a constant with Forrest that she longs to have, but doesn’t think she can keep. Forrest never changes, is never judgmental, always accepting Jenny despite herself, and is the source of love that she unknowingly seeks, yet keeps running away from. In the end, she finally submits to her destiny to be with Forrest when she has a child by him. Though she is saved in the end, the long-term consequences catches up with her and she dies of AIDS contracted by her wanton lifestyle. But she dies happy in the Forrest’s mansion.

Part II:

Legs braces are Forrest’s cross. There is a resurrection in the casting off the braces which sets the tone of the film forward and is themed through the rest of the film (Running gets him places: college, medal of honor, fame as a runner)..

The spiritual significance of the braces can be felt in the scene in the hospital where Lt. Dan grabs Forrest to the floor and laments about his destiny being foiled. He asks Forrest if he knows what it’s like not to use his legs, to which Forrest replies yes. In the end, Lt. Dan is healed spiritually and physically (titanium legs) and finds love himself in the Korean girl.

"I don't know if Mama was right or whether it was Lieutenant Dan. I don't know if we each have a destiny, or if we're all just floating around accidental-like on a breeze, but I think, maybe it's both, maybe both are happening at the same time."

This is the theme of the whole movie. It seems a paradox, but all things working together.

On a broad scale, Forrest Gump influences history on a grand scale as he brushes up against famous people and presidents.

Bear Bryant – Coach of Alabama
JFK – All-American Football hero
Johnson – Medal of Honor
Nixon – Ping Pong Champion/Watergate scandal
John Lennon – As inspiration for the song “Imagine”.

(Deleted scenes has Forrest encounter Chairman Mao swimming and MLK Jr. marching in protest)

In these encounters, we see that they have a direct effect on the course of history of the world. So not only does Forrest affect those around him in a personal way, but also seems to exert some influence to world events. Much like Christ.
The kicker is when Forrest decides to run, and run, and run. He is driven by the fact that his first love has forsaken him. He bears the cross across the entire country. And for three years, he is on a mission. And the running is meant to put it all behind him and look toward the future. Forrest gains fame as a runner and like Christ, gains followers in his “movement”. Lives are changed as he influences a generation to healthy living. He even sports a Christ-like hair and beard. One follower “gets” what Forrest is all about. And he is the influence for several slogans (His Word?), like “Sh!t Happens!” and “Have a Nice Day!” and “Jesus Loves You” (Ok, not the last one, but you get the picture). When Forrest quits running, he tells his disciples he is done running (it is finished) and he will go home now (ascension?). He leaves all his “disciples” in the desert to continue.

I dunno, maybe I’m just imagining things. Looking for what I want to find. But it just kept running around in my head the more I thought about it. I’m not going to write it in a book and try and sell it, like some have done with Harry Potter and Jack Bauer. But it just seems like the story of redemption repeats itself over and over in fictional tales.

I dunno, maybe I’m just imagining things. Looking for what I want to find. But it just kept running around in my head the more I thought about it. I’m not going to write it in a book and try and sell it, like some have done with Harry Potter and Jack Bauer. But it just seems like the story of redemption repeats itself over and over in fictional tales.
I think it is a story that has repeated itself over and over in life...we are comfortable with it, whatever clothes others put on it...

And your need to explore I believe is the exact same reason that others explored the movies/stories that touched their hearts and the analogies they saw...

I watched an interview when they were promoting Da Vinicis code.. thats where I heard it. I do not remember if it was him that said it or not.

I'm turning this tongue and cheek expose in response to the thread on 'Use Harry Potter to spread Christian message'. While I'm against using such secular movies and books for personal montery gain with the pretense of spreading the Word, I couldn't help but remember when watching "Forrest Gump" recently, something clicked during director Robert Zemeckis' commentary that prompted me to make some astute comparisions between the character of Forrest Gump and Jesus Christ. My mind just raced away with it, for some reason. but I thought I might share these with you.

Part I:

The other day, I happened to be watching Forrest Gump on DVD, but this time I ran the audio commentary with director Robert Zemeckis. I was struck by how they envisioned Forrest having effect on the lives of people he encountered, both personal and public figures. And I began to draw strong parallels between the character of Forrest and Jesus Christ. Some are listed below

Innocent
Unchanging
Unjudgmental
Forgiving
Stable
Loving

So it seems that Forrest is a Christ figure in this movie. Follow these examples

Lt. Dan – Destined for fame as a post humorous war hero following a long line of ancestors who have died in every war since the beginning of the nation’s birth. Becomes embittered when Forrest thwarts that destiny by saving his life in Vietnam and now is reduced to a life as a cripple, a fate worse than death for Lt. Dan. But Forrest knows LT. Dan’s sorrow and can empathize, for he knows what it was like not to have use of his legs, too.

Salvation: The curse becomes a blessing when LT Dan challenges God in Hurricane Camille, as the only shrimp boat to ride the storm. He challenges and curses God to try and sink the boat. But God will not kill Lt. Dan, for that is what he wants. Instead, the boat becomes the only one left intact from the storm and thus becomes the monopoly in the Delta shrimping business and making Forrest and Lt. Dan rich. God shows mercy to Lt. Dan, that His way is a better way. Lt. Dan thanks Forrest for saving his life and makes his peace with God.

Caveat: Earlier in the film, LT. Dan asks Forrest if he ever found Jesus and Forrest replies, “I didn’t know we were supposed to be looking for Him.” (best line in the film, IMO), and then LT. Dan laments that he’s told by a priest that he will walk in the kingdom of heaven, “God is listening? What a crock of sh!t!”

But then he actually does walk, toward the end of the movie, when he shows up for Forrest’s wedding (and notice he remains standing at the ceremony, which I’m told that amputees, after receiving new legs, don’t like to sit down having been in a wheel chair for so long). The kingdom of heaven is now.

Jenny – Free-floater, having been physically, sexually, and emotionally abused, tries to flee life and seeks solace in drugs, alcohol, rock and roll, prostitution, stripping, running from guy to guy, but losing herself in the quagmire she has immersed herself.

Salvation: Jenny runs from destiny like a bird in flight that she never got her prayer answered from God for. For the pain of her childhood drives her to escape her life. But doing so means running from that stable factor that she has in Forrest. She doesn’t have to fly, for Forrest offers her a better life. Yet she is felt driven by free-willing (She didn’t have much free will at home with her father) destructive tendencies.

Yet, she keeps coming back to Forrest. There is a constant with Forrest that she longs to have, but doesn’t think she can keep. Forrest never changes, is never judgmental, always accepting Jenny despite herself, and is the source of love that she unknowingly seeks, yet keeps running away from. In the end, she finally submits to her destiny to be with Forrest when she has a child by him. Though she is saved in the end, the long-term consequences catches up with her and she dies of AIDS contracted by her wanton lifestyle. But she dies happy in the Forrest’s mansion.

Try reading C.J. Lewis or watching "Chronicles of Narnia"...same message applies.

Also, consider this: near the end of church services (after the pastor delievers the message), a plate is passed around and monies are put in it by the faithful...

Is that paying for or capitalizing on the message?

In the movie "Field of Dreams", the character "Mann" (played by James Earl Jones), makes a profound statement about dreams and hope and longing of something innocent, simpler and better. He said, "People will come Ray, for it is money they have, but peace they lack..."

Do you really think he was talking about baseball, only? Or do you see the Christ, the kingdom, the child like wonder we all must have to enter the Kingdom, and take our "reserved seats"?

And who are the "ghost" ball players? Who is Ray Consella? Who is Ray's brother in law? Who is Terrence Mann? Who is Shoeless Joe Jackson, who reads the play before the ball is even hit? Finally, who is John Consella?

Not many movies or books raise the hair on the back of my neck...but this one did, for the message was crystal clear...

consider please...

v/r

Q

American Rhetoric: Movie Speech from Field of Dreams - "People Will Come"

That movie was on TV here a short time ago. Baseball holds all the allure of watching paint dry to me so I did not watch it. I now wished I had, after watching the clip.

But....yes but! May I say from the perspective of a non-American that these kind of emotive perspectives are often peddled by Holywood. And if they were so inspiring why does nothing change? Perhaps these things are a surrogate for real action. And perhaps that is precisely what they are designed to be.

Tao

That movie was on TV here a short time ago. Baseball holds all the allure of watching paint dry to me so I did not watch it. I now wished I had, after watching the clip.

But....yes but! May I say from the perspective of a non-American that these kind of emotive perspectives are often peddled by Holywood. And if they were so inspiring why does nothing change? Perhaps these things are a surrogate for real action. And perhaps that is precisely what they are designed to be.

Tao
Changed my life Tao...I heard God talking directly to my heart, in a way I could understand and not be defensive over. He used baseball (which I loved playing as a kid), and a confused man (Consella/Kostner), to get me to identify with what was going on in my life...funny how God reaches out to us...;)

And it was a sleeper movie to me as well. I didn't see it until two years after its release...now every time I see it I discover something new...

v/r

Q

Kindest Regards, Dondi and all!
While I'm against using such secular movies and books for personal montery gain with the pretense of spreading the Word, I couldn't help but remember when watching "Forrest Gump" recently, something clicked during director Robert Zemeckis' commentary that prompted me to make some astute comparisions between the character of Forrest Gump and Jesus Christ. My mind just raced away with it, for some reason. but I thought I might share these with you.
I hadn't gone that deeply into dissecting the movie "Forrest Gump." I usually don't get that deep into such things. I do know that a "messiah / christ-like" figure is a common literary device used by many writers in the telling of their stories. From the obvious like J. C. Superstar and Godspell, to the less obvious like the young kid that is the first "sacrificed" in Lord of the Flies. The idea of a messiah like figure is a pretty common theme across multiple cultural boundaries, I think even Jung addressed this in the concept of collective consciousness. Even in antiquity, before the time of Christ, there were Pagan messianic figures, which leads some to conclude that the myth of Jesus is built around Pagan examples, and that by extension Christianity is at root Pagan. Not that I have to agree with this, but the idea of a messiah figure is extensive in literary history. It seems "everyone" is looking for a saviour, a hero to rescue them from themselves or their situation, be it Zeus or Jesus.

I guess what I am trying to say is that it isn't in any way remarkable that someone can conclude Forrest Gump was a christ-type figure, such figures can be found very frequently if one only looks. I gave up looking that deeply in fiction long ago, outside of perhaps a literature appreciation class. On those rare occasions when I do read fiction, I simply enjoy it at face value. In the case of film, its own brand of tongue in cheek Tao alluded to, again I simply enjoy the story at face value rather than trying to interpret some deeper insight. That is, unless whatever happens to trigger some deeply held thought that I was trying to pursue of my own volition. I think the last film that seriously spurred any deep consideration on my part was Coppola's "Koyaanisquatsi." Very deep, but a decidedly acquired taste. Its one of those that either you like it, or you don't, and I think a huge part of that is whether you get what the director was aiming at or not. Strangely, there was no christ-figure, no dialogue, no actors even...yet quite stirring for those that can appreciate deeper meanings.

Another film that still evokes deep consideration for me is "2001, a Space Odyssey."

"born again" lol Christian.....

17th. Would you rather have an athiest soldier who has nothing to look forward to after death, guarding your back...or a Christian soldier who has everything to look forward to after death guarding your back...in a fire fight-especially if he considered you a good friend?...:eek::eek:

Things that make you go "hmmmm"...

v/r

Q

17th. Would you rather have an athiest soldier who has nothing to look forward to after death, guarding your back...or a Christian soldier who has everything to look forward to after death guarding your back...in a fire fight-especially if he considered you a good friend?...:eek::eek:

Things that make you go "hmmmm"...

v/r

Q

Easy question, in my mind that is.... Would I want a man who has everything to lose.... Or a man who thinks there is more to come after this.... I would want the everything to lose many watching my back... More attention to detail and more of an aggressive psychopathic fighter... :)

Kindest Regards!
Easy question, in my mind that is.... Would I want a man who has everything to lose.... Or a man who thinks there is more to come after this.... I would want the everything to lose many watching my back... More attention to detail and more of an aggressive psychopathic fighter... :)
I forget which WW2 general said it (Patton?), but there is a quote that goes something like "the goal is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his!"

Kindest Regards!

I forget which WW2 general said it (Patton?), but there is a quote that goes something like "the goal is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his!"

*giggles like a little school girl!!!!!*

George certainly did say that. He also said "Courage is fear, holding on a minute longer.." And "Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom." Some good words.....

Why? The man with a "there is more to come after this
attitude, wants you to come with him...so he's gonna fight that much harder to insure you do (in your own time) "saving private ryan" comes to mind...

Back