The purpose of Religion?

The West promotes the idea of Buddhism as a 'philosophy', rather than a 'religion', to make it more attractive to the market.

Never thought I'd hear you joining the ranks of the conspiracy theorists? ;)

lol Thomas could have written this rant...he says the exact same thing about Unity and me...
Vousetesfou
9 Oct 2013 22:32
3 4

Leave it to the Westerners to twist something 2500 years old to suit their limited world-view. There was and is a reason for Buddhas 84,000 teachings. Once you try to change it in a vain attempt to make sense of something you clearly are not ready to grasp, you no longer have Buddhism; you have some quasi-religion/philosophy/new-age movement that serves no purpose other than to satisfy your ego.

"Atheists can't contemplate?"

--> Of course they can. There's a lot of non-theism out there to contemplate. I would imagine atheists are great contemplators.

"...and didn't create a religion as a result, but a philosophy?"

--> Buddhism is both a religion and a philosophy.

Atheists can't contemplate? The Buddha rejected the religion of his birth...and sat and contemplated...and didn't create a religion as a result, but a philosophy?

Maybe, but the way I understand it, the Buddha was trying to find a way to overcome suffering, and as a result discovered the truth about suffering and a way of dealing with it. For example, when we communicate with each other, and the mutual feeling is not one of compassion or at least good will, we are suffering. The Buddha taught us to stop and look at what we are doing, and bring compassion into the picture.

The better I get at practicing this, as opposed to my habitual method of mistrust and critical, judgmental approaches, the better things go overall.

I think the purpose of Hinduism was to let the family and society function in spite of all differences. It has largely succeeded in its purpose.

lol Thomas could have written this rant...he says the exact same thing about Unity and me...
I don't rant, I reason ... but the post is quite right in reminding the 'civilised modern man' of his arrogance.

The distinction between 'religion' and 'philosophy' is a modern one, unique to the West, indeed commentaries from the Eastern Traditions point out quite explicitly that such a distinction is artificial.

By drawing a separation between the two, the implication is that religion is without philosophical reason on the one hand, and the 'proper' practice of philosophy is not sullied by religious 'superstition'.

The claim is nonsense, the founders of the Western Philosophical Tradition, saw no distinction between 'philosophy', 'metaphysics' and 'religion'. It's just the western mind compartmentalising that which it does not immediately comprehend and the desire to possess and command that which it thinks it does – we assume de facto we know better than anyone else.

I don't rant, I reason ... but the post is quite right in reminding the 'civilised modern man' of his arrogance.

The distinction between 'religion' and 'philosophy' is a modern one, unique to the West, indeed commentaries from the Eastern Traditions point out quite explicitly that such a distinction is artificial.

By drawing a separation between the two, the implication is that religion is without philosophical reason on the one hand, and the 'proper' practice of philosophy is not sullied by religious 'superstition'.

The claim is nonsense, the founders of the Western Philosophical Tradition, saw no distinction between 'philosophy', 'metaphysics' and 'religion'. It's just the western mind compartmentalising that which it does not immediately comprehend and the desire to possess and command that which it thinks it does – we assume de facto we know better than anyone else.

Couldn't give you a rep for this until I give out more, apparently, but nicely written and expressed. There still exists a strong tendency for western thinkers to compartmentalize and deconstruct partly because, or so I believe they tend to rely on formal operational thinking rather than post formal operational thinking ( think beyond Piaget a step here).
However in our friend Wil's posts I sense a great deal of frustration and old pain rather than a desire to deconstruct.
Not to put too fine a point on it, but quite honestly when I read the back and forth between you and Wil, I often get the feeling that you aren't actually talking about the same thing.
Just a little friendly feedback you can feel free to dismiss if I'm way off :)

Not to put too fine a point on it, but quite honestly when I read the back and forth between you and Wil, I often get the feeling that you aren't actually talking about the same thing.
Just a little friendly feedback you can feel free to dismiss if I'm way off :)
No, on reflection I am inclined to agree ...

The purpose of religion is to train persons how to love God. That is the purpose of all religion.

True, but it is not the only purpose ...
Guidance & coping skills are two major parts offered to live life in peace ...

In my opinion the purpose of religion is to enable people to have the concept a higher entity with which to communicate even though it can't answer back. In the past most people seemed to have a need to believe in a deity/deities, nowadays belief is less common than it was.

I think too many people confuse religion with faith and worship. Religion is man-made, devised to teach people how and what to believe. Faith is God given and means something different to each individual.

re·li·gion [ri-lij-uhn]
Noun
1. a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, especially when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.
2. a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or sects: the Christian religion; the Buddhist religion.
3. the body of persons adhering to a particular set of beliefs and practices: a world council of religions.
4. the life or state of a monk, nun, etc.: to enter religion.
5. the practice of religious beliefs; ritual observance of faith.
6. something one believes in and follows devotedly; a point or matter of ethics or conscience: to make a religion of fighting prejudice.
7. religions, Archaic. religious rites: painted priests performing religions deep into the night.
8. Archaic. strict faithfulness; devotion: a religion to one's vow.

Back