Do any of you count children in your list of spiritual teachers?

fourgrtkidos

Reaction score
This may seem obvious to some, idocracy to others or .......

But, I am wondering if any of you also consider any children in your life to be or to have been helpful in your spiritual development?? Sons, daughters, friends, girl scouts, sunday school students, neices, nephews, grandchildren, etc......
I am a mother of 4- hence my name.
I consider that 2 of my children come up with incredible theological ideas. But, also, that all 4 are a help in my spiritual growth- just by being children. Thet have taught me patience, self-lessness, the need to "take care of myself so I can take care of others", unconditional love and humility??

Anyone else?:D

yup!

More than once my mind/time/brain/thoughts have been to harried to listen to spirit and it has come loud and clear through my children.

Out of the mouths of babes, spiritually speaking, Jehovah can provide enlightenment.—Matt. 11:25.

do ancient children count?

If so, then yes, I'd include Prahlada Maharaja, the boy-saint of the Puranas, in my personal list. ;)

... Neemai :)

Or even Jesus himself when he was found after being lost by his family,he was 12 in the temple talking to the religious leaders .
(LUKE 2;49)But he said to them: "Why did YOU have to go looking for me? Did YOU not know that I must be in the [house] of my Father?"
(Proverbs 20:11) Even by his practices a boy makes himself recognized as to whether his activity is pure and upright.

Accidental spiritual teachers are the wisest, and children are the most accidental spiritual teachers of all.

Every time I am with my godchild, she teaches me something new about what it means to be a human being. The sad fact of it is, one day I will have the chance to return the favor... and that is probably one of the hardest spiritual lessons of all.

I talked with a seven year old boy once who had AIDS and knew he was dying from it. He had the most deep searching eyes I had seen in anyone. He had received a transfusion which gave him the condition. His attitude and understanding were indeed more far beyond the average.

- Art

Hi fourgrtkidos :)

Besides being blessed with "twogrtkidos" in this life (plus a third, a stepson who is really a son, along the way), I worked as a children's music instructor for years. We shared music, as well as many other things. I always say that I learned at least as much from them as they did from me.

InPeace,
InLove

Last edited:
Does this count?

Five years ago in a local coffee shop (in a suburb of Sydney) I noticed a young woman with shaven head and wearing a brown robe. Naturally I had to enquire if she was a Buddhist. From that moment, although I did not realise the significance until much later, I had a daughter (now aged 40) She is Xing Yuan from China who will shortly be returning to Australia to live with me.

Although she belongs to a non-celibate order she prefers to regard me as her "good father" because her own father turned nasty after spending 10 years as political prisoner in China.

Here is Xing seated on the floor of my apartment three years ago, just prior to returning to China.

Xing_1_5degrees_crop_33.jpg

And in her Buddhist regalia:

XingYuan_5_65.jpg

As I have no children of my own, and Xing is 24 years younger than myself -- about the appropriate age of a natural daughter -- I am sure she will teach me MANY things.

This may seem obvious to some, idocracy to others or .......

But, I am wondering if any of you also consider any children in your life to be or to have been helpful in your spiritual development?? Sons, daughters, friends, girl scouts, sunday school students, neices, nephews, grandchildren, etc......
I am a mother of 4- hence my name.
I consider that 2 of my children come up with incredible theological ideas. But, also, that all 4 are a help in my spiritual growth- just by being children. Thet have taught me patience, self-lessness, the need to "take care of myself so I can take care of others", unconditional love and humility??

Anyone else?:D

Out of the mouths of babes come some of the world's greatest wisdom...

Back