Taoism

iBrian

Peace, Love and Unity
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Ages ago Vaj sent me a piece on Taoism for the main section of the site. Even now I haven't got around to putting it up - I'd probably have to edit around the current format on other religions if it was to serve as a main short introductory essay to the topic.

However, I am sure I will be referencing it later on when I do finally get around to properly developing the section on Tao and Taoism. :)

For the moment, it seems a shame to have it languishing on my harddrive - so here's a post of Vajradhara's piece for others to read while I get my head around re-organising the forum boards. :)

Taoism

The Tao (pronounced "Dow") is the Way, the Way behind all ways, the principle underlying all principles, the fact underlying all facts. Taoism, in its broadest sense, is the search for truth and reality. In a narrower sense, it is the original wisdom tradition of China, and may be rendered as "Wayfaring". In this manner of usage, the Way is classically defined in these terms:

"Humanity follows earth, earth follows heaven, heaven follows the Way, the Way follows Nature." In the final sense, therefore, Taoism, or Wayfaring, refers to the pursuit of natural laws.

These natural laws are reflected in the body (earth), the mind (heaven), and in the order of the universe (the Way of Nature). The practice of Taoism, therefore, takes place in the cultivation and refinement of the natural capacities of the human body-mind continuum and its relationship with the social milieu and the natural world.

According to classical thought, Taoism cannot be encompassed within just one framework of expression. As a result of this particular quality, many diverse modes of Taoist activity developed over the centuries. One of the most popular of these is the science of inner alchemy, which energizes the body and purifies the mind, thus producing transmutation in consciousness enhancing the individual experience of life.

The earliest known Taoist text seems to be the I ching, well known as one of the fundamental classics of Chinese thought. This text was well regarded by both Taoists and Confucians. The I ching was written during a time when divination was prominent

The Tao Te Ching is, without doubt, the most well known after the I ching. The Tao Te Ching is credited to Lao-tzu (Old Master) in roughly 600 B.C.E.

Other texts include Yin Convergence Classic, which is credited to the Yellow Emperor, an historical-mythological figure of ancient China, in roughly 2,500 B.C.E. Other texts include, Chuang-tzu, which is widely held to be one of the best literary works in history, Sun-Tzu a military strategy text, and Huai-nan-tzu.

In the Alchemical schools the teachings are found in a few important texts namely, The Triplex Unity, 400 Words on the Gold Pill, Pao-p’u-tzu and Leih-tzu.

Namaste brian..

you know... after reading this material again... you're right... it was awhile ago. i feel that i could flesh it out more... expound on some of the texts a bit more and present some of the history of their development and so forth...

however... are you interested in such a thing.. i.e. as part of the main site definition and so forth?

if you were to do that the I-Ching would have to have its own section to serve it justice

and the yellow emperor wasnt mythological, infact the only "mythological" emperor i know of was fu hsi, after him the first known historical was king tang

amitabha

Hi Vajradhara - most certainly. :)

I would erally like to build up the articles section into various commentaries and perceptions - I really feel this is a particular place we could strengthen the site through member participation.

Would you like to add a personal gloss over this piece, to help serve as a trailblazer in the articles section?

I said:
Hi Vajradhara - most certainly. :)

I would erally like to build up the articles section into various commentaries and perceptions - I really feel this is a particular place we could strengthen the site through member participation.

Would you like to add a personal gloss over this piece, to help serve as a trailblazer in the articles section?
Hi Brian,

i'd be happy to do so... tell you what... i think i have the original draft of this on the home pc... i'll try to work on it this week and next... though i am still under the weather, so to speak.

if you have an idea of a direction of form you'd like to see.. please let me know and i'll try to get it into that shape for you... saves on editing it later :)

Zazen... as i said, the Yellow Emperor is an historical-mythological figure. he is historical.. there was such a person, however, abilities and powers ascribed to him are traditionally considered mythological in nature. now.. that may be an artifact of a materialistic view, so.. i typically will list such individuals as both historical, presuming the evidence indicates it is so, and mythological when talking about his abilities and so forth. hope that clears it up a bit :)

Whatever direction you see fit, Vaj - I was looking at religioustolerance.org and like their focus on articles and commentaries. I'd like to replicate something of that here, to give us a real drive on unique content - though obviously without the horrible all-consuming advertising that religioustolerance.org has.

I said:
Whatever direction you see fit, Vaj - I was looking at religioustolerance.org and like their focus on articles and commentaries. I'd like to replicate something of that here, to give us a real drive on unique content - though obviously without the horrible all-consuming advertising that religioustolerance.org has.
Gassho Brian :)

i shall do my best for the site.

as an aside... you know... if you start to feel the pinch of supporting this site by your lonesome... you could discretely ask for donations or something along those lines... i, for one, would be happy to help defray the costs of running the site.

ok.. i have a bunch of source material that i can draw from... i'll do some commentary snippets that are pertenient to certain texts and then excerpt a few of the texts as well...

Actually, with regards to income, I'm planning some text-link advertising across the footer of the site pages. It shouldn't be invasive, and should help us on our way to running our own server (which will cost quite until I learn to admin servers from command lines).

I really really rally really dislike the idea of asking for donations - IMO it is a webmaster's responsibility to be able to provide a site on their own resources. However, if people really wanted to make donations, I could always consider setting up a "premium membership" class on the forums - for a nominal amount, access to new private boards, resources, directory listing, and a lovely badge by the member name, etc. I'd rather not go that way unless really pushed, though.

I'm new here, I, Brian, but I think making a "Premium Membership" class would discourage the curious about other faiths. I would make a donation to this site, but as for the "Premium Membership," that would demerit the site. Of course this is just my opinion. Take it for what it's worth, if anything.

bodhi_mindisfree said:
I'm new here, I, Brian, but I think making a "Premium Membership" class would discourage the curious about other faiths. I would make a donation to this site, but as for the "Premium Membership," that would demerit the site. Of course this is just my opinion. Take it for what it's worth, if anything.
Agreed. I'm not even sure if there should be a badge. Maybe just a list somewhere with all contributors.
Forgive me for the OT opinion though.

Truly a conversation I did not expect to find titled Taoism...although I do see connections!

Anywho my 2c keep up what you do, the right person will see, put up the basket someplace label it offerings/tithes or ahms...whatever...the right people will see and problem will be solved...the world is abundant.

should help us on our way to running our own server (which will cost quite until I learn to admin servers from command lines).

Had you thought of the Tao of Programing as a resource?<grin>

There are a few GUI SysAdmin programs "out there" especially for the Linux OS and one need not obtain the specific varietal known as "Tao Linux" for the OS; should that concern you.

Back