Dangerous Ideas

Reaction score
"Do women, on average, have a different profile of aptitudes and emotions than men?

Were the events in the Bible fictitious -- not just the miracles, but those involving kings and empires?

Has the state of the environment improved in the last 50 years?

Do most victims of sexual abuse suffer no lifelong damage?

Did Native Americans engage in genocide and despoil the landscape?

Do men have an innate tendency to rape?

Did the crime rate go down in the 1990s because two decades earlier poor women aborted children who would have been prone to violence?

Are suicide terrorists well-educated, mentally healthy and morally driven?

Would the incidence of rape go down if prostitution were legalized?

Do African-American men have higher levels of testosterone, on average, than white men?

Is morality just a product of the evolution of our brains, with no inherent reality? "

In defense of dangerous ideas :: CHICAGO SUN-TIMES :: Other Views

There are more questions eluding to what the author of the essays calls dangerous ideas. An interesting read.

Chris

Some of these do not seem like "dangerous ideas" for most people. The following seem like sad 'scientific' queries put forth to justify or maintain the status quo. That's only dangerous for the oppressed people of the world--let's see:

women: "Do women, on average, have a different profile of aptitudes and emotions than men?" Interesting phrasing of that question. Why not reverse it?

the sexual assaulted: "Do most victims of sexual abuse suffer no lifelong damage?" I doubt it.

Indians: "Did Native Americans engage in genocide and despoil the landscape?" Do white people? Why don't we ask that dangerous question?

the impoverished: "Did the crime rate go down in the 1990s because two decades earlier poor women aborted children who would have been prone to violence?" Wow, this is just offensive on at least a couple of different levels.

Here's what I believe to be one of the most dangerous ideas which has taken root this past decade in the U.S. Government. And, it might be the sort of thing to be expected when anyone lives in an environment of fear.

Excerpts from a confidential memo issued to FEMA staff

"Okay now fellow bureaucrats:
1. We've had a disaster.
2. Our bosses want action out of us. Public indications that FEMA is on the job must be made obvious to the public immediately.
3. We've got to do this well and fast or our politically sensitive jobs may be in jeopardy,*gasp* along with our *double gasp*, health care and pension benefits...oh my !
4. Okay troops, we're going to organize and have a real good news conference...right now... no matter what...erm,that's the ticket...yeah !"

flow....:rolleyes:

BBC NEWS | Americas | Fema sorry for 'fake' conference

I dont know that I can think of a single dangerous idea. Surely if we do not explore everything for fear of being politically incorrect we stop learning?

Back