Passings

flowperson

Oannes
Reaction score
Hi Everyone:

One way that has been very productive for me to learn about the "Big Pictures" of science is to read the obituaries of prominent scientists. The NY Times and the LA Times have especially good writeups.

The articles give you a concise and thorough description of what this human being contributed to all of us while he/she lived among us. These don't come up very regularly, but every so often the passing of someone very important to this aspect of history occurs. I'll post them as they come along, and of course, discussion is always welcome.

This is one of note to consider.

And there are also other passings of note in science that are not as obvious, but important landmarks nonetheless. Consider the life and lessons given to us all by our friend Washoe

flow....:)

Leslie Orgel, 80; chemist was father of the RNA world theory of the origin of life - Los Angeles Times

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/01/science/01chimp.html

The passing of this gentleman will be celebrarted by some and mourned by others. Paul Tibbets was a flashpoint for controversy as he played his role in WWII and afterwards.

While this does not directly concern scientific discovery, it does concern the role of an ordinary man who was placed at the nexus of history on one day in his long life. And it does concern the outcomes of a stupendous long term scientific effort by thousands of people.

May we all learn from his experiences. And it brings to mind the conflict in us all concerning loyalty to expedient outcomes versus loyalty to our internal moral codes and conscience.

He always claimed that he had no second doubts concerning what he was ordered to do and did. But what would the rest of us do in similar circumstances, knowing what we know now ? I don't believe I could have done it, but then I didn't live through WWII as an adult either.

flow....:cool:

http://www.latimes.com/news/obituaries/la-me-tibbets2nov02,0,4953370.story?coll=la-home-obituaries

Great idea for a thread Flow... will read the obituaries later when i get home.

Hi Flo :)

I thot this thread would be pages long already... some folk just don't recognize a good new idea when they see it!!
Well I could not read em when I got home as my modem had melted and i had no internet. Will take the cable company 5 days to get a new one to me so my wknd has been destroyed!! Thats why I am in work at 6.45 on a sunday night... withdrawals were just to severe to handle.:p (just dropping stuff off from roadshow really) ;). I have to read 6 papers every day so I will keep an eye on the obits with you. Unfortunately still not had time to read the above yet.

missing u all

Tao

Tao me lad...It seems that the Net Demons have been on yer arse a bit lately. You must be doing something very good.
No hurry, no worry

flow....;)

a little bit off your idea, but I had to share. When my Dad passed away, (14years ago, feels like yesterday) I learnt soooo much from old friends of his. Also during the funeral service when people stood up and shared experiences with us about their memories of times with Dad, It really opened up my eyes. There was so much I didnt know about him. He wasnt just my Dad but a very interesting man. Its a pity I had to wait until he died to learn so much about him. (just wanted to add my two cents)

Tao me lad...It seems that the Net Demons have been on yer arse a bit lately. You must be doing something very good.
No hurry, no worry

flow....;)

Its them Zionist ray guns frying me modem and me hamster i tell you!! Or maybe being on almost 3years without a break :p

Anyway....very busy....

cya soon

Tao

Hi...Yeah Juan, I saw that one and it brought to mind a little known fact regarding the "invention" of Gatorade. It's a legendary story in the business which I used to be involved in. That one event touched off the spread of trademark protection and licensing that has grown into a mega business segment today.

The University of Florida had the presence of mind to trademark the name and license it's use along with the formula for the drink to manufacturers and marketers thus establishing a stream of revenues which is still contributing to the operations of the Univerity even today. Many other universities and colleges have supplemented their revenues in this way since then.

Here's a guy that just left this celestial sphere who was also little known but who contributed to the nature of today's culture in many ways.

flow....;)

http://www.latimes.com/news/obituaries/la-me-leonard28nov28,0,5396018.story?coll=la-home-obituaries

Over here in the USA we see a lot of Dr. Robert Jarvik these days in television commercials. I don't remember what he's selling. But he did invent an artificial heart that has extended the lives of many people.

Who's to say that artificial and technological interventions are not part of G-d's plans for the all of life in our futures ? Look at how much good it did in this instance.

flow....:)

Longest-living artificial heart recipient - Los Angeles Times

On the contrary, he did more than any other person to OBSTRUCT research into the Scrolls, locking them away from the scholarly community for decades because he only wanted to let personal favorites look at them. His name, like "Amalek", should be blotted out from under heaven.

Hi Bob...My recollection is that a Father De Vaux ( or just Vaux), who was in charge of the custody of the scrolls for many years prior to Strugnell really played that role.

However, while Strugnell was conservative in his approach to releasing information regarding the DSS, he did at least provide access to qualified scholars for translation purposes, something that the good Father and his hand-picked successor would not allow. After Strugnell finished his tenure, then the gates of knowledge opened to more and more qualified people.

There was a lot of apprehension among conservative elements that the DSS could overthrow long-held beliefs concerning the OT and the person hood of Jesus. If anything, they confirmed and clarified much of what was already known. There's also a story about the CIA obtaining the Daniel scroll soon after the initial discovery in 1947, since that is a principle end-times book, but nothing has surfaced in that regard to my knowledge to confirm that. But I might add that if this were true, it sure wouldn't surprise me.

John Strugnell - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

flow....:cool:

Thanks for that Flow. While not a deep scholar on the subject, the name Strugnal has crossed my path in the past.

A little bit off topic, but Dan Fogelberg passed away the other day. Far too young, he will be missed.

Hi Juan...Dan was an Illinois boy and I saw him perform in local bars around the college town where I lived back in the day, way before he was "discovered". A great and original talent in his own way.

I heard this a.m. that Alan Parsons has also left this celestial reality. Death seems to pick on younger aged musicians quite prominently. Wonder why that is ? Too much of a good thing maybe ?

flow....;)

Back