Is there only one true God ?

M

mee

MOLECH, Ashtoreth, Baal, Dagon, Merodach, Zeus, Hermes, and Artemis are some of the gods and goddesses mentioned by name in the Bible. (Leviticus 18:21; Judges 2:13; 16:23; Jeremiah 50:2; Acts 14:12; 19:24) Yet, only Jehovah is identified in the Scriptures as the Almighty God. In a victory song, Moses led his people in singing: “Who among the gods is like you, O Jehovah?”—Exodus 15:11.

The Bible identifies Jehovah as the only true God. (Psalm 83:18; John 17:3) The prophet Isaiah recorded God’s own words when he said: “Before me there was no God formed, and after me there continued to be none. I—I am Jehovah, and besides me there is no savior.”—Isaiah 43:10, 11.
All the other gods are not merely inferior to Jehovah. In most cases they are nonexistent—strictly figments of human imagination. The Bible refers to these gods as “the product of the hands of man . . . , which cannot see or hear or eat or smell.” (Deuteronomy 4:28) The Bible plainly teaches that Jehovah is the only true God.

Are you asking a question, or merely dogmatically stating your personal viewpoint? Your post does not invite discussion.

Also you only refer to the Old Testament (Hebrew Scriptures) which naturally enough refer to only one true God ACCORDING TO THAT BOOK AND RELIGIONS.

If you want an answer to your question: "Is there only one true God ?"

you would first have to consider all other religions that have a God.

Depends on your definition of G!d. For some folks during this season the NFL is their god and their world revolves around millionaires playing a kids game whose outcome determine their state of being Monday morning. For others in the past couple days their 401k and stock portfolio is their god, making them happy or sad with market fluctuations. For others it is the evening news or newspapers, plenty of gods out there folks worship on a regular basis, gods whose whims determine the ebb and flow of their life.

Now intrepid says no room for discussion but mee provides us plenty of links (none of which worked for me) to scripture to discuss. I like that it was ommitted that when Adam and Eve ate the apple they became -G!ds like us
I also am intrigued that Isaiah quotes G!d as saying in his own words, yet all other quotes are dismissed out of hand by another scripture that indicates the other G!d's are man made, as is the text compiled that it is all quoted from!

mee, I think if the bible plainly taught anything than JW bible school would not be required.

If the bible plainly taught anything, we wouldn't have CR and hundreds of denominations, nor would we have a thread that poses a question and then answers it in one of those hundreds of viewpoints.

mee, what is your definition of G!d? Jehova is not an answer, it is a name.

LOL... A JW thing?

a; I am not a jw....

b; I can never recall scriptures but basically.... Verse three says something along the lines of what lies in store (rewards) for those who believe in the one true god. So I fail to see how it doesn't connect to a question which is: "Is there only one true god?"...... And verse six says, "something along the lines"(lol) of... Ok you made me mess up now(doubting) Says something along the lines of identify god..... So being that you said jehovah isn't an answer... I think it is... If you take the scripture for what it is... If I am remembering the right scriptures that is.... lol...

If there was more than one God then God would no longer be God, he'd be a god. Not many people believe in God and gods (possibly only within some paths of Hinduism - havn't seen it anywhere else?). It's normally a question of God vs false gods - i.e my God is God, your 'God' is false. Unless you're coming from the view that my God is the same being as your God, the only difference being the perspective you're looking from, but that doesn't seem to be the case here?

If God is everywhere and in everyone then there really can't be two of Him? (at least not in the sense meant here)

Hare Rama

... Neemai :)

If God is everywhere and in everyone then there really can't be two of Him? (at least not in the sense meant here)

Hare Rama

That is also my personal view, sometimes described as pantheism:

pan·the·ism (panÆth" izÅÃm), n.
1. the doctrine that God is the transcendent reality of which the material universe and human beings are only manifestations: it involves a denial of God's personality and expresses a tendency to identify God and nature.

2. any religious belief or philosophical doctrine that identifies God with the universe.

It is my understanding that only Hinduism (essential not popular) has this conception of God.

Bringing a Hindu Priests to interfaith ceremonies over the years has given me some great opportunity for a captive audience during our windshield time. One thing I loved was their propensity when there is no discussion or other activity to take off their prayer beads and go right into chanting prayers, reminded me of rosaries, except with these guys it was filling every vacant time in contact with G!d.

Another time was when the person at the temple that went to get the Priest had a an "I 'heart' Jesus" key strap around his neck. He tells me "Oh thank you so much for bringing our Priest to your ceremony, he will come back with blessings from your church and Jesus. And explained how he believed in Jesus and revered him as a holy man.

Another discussion was on multiple G!ds. "Oh no there is only one G!d. The name of our G!d is Krishna" Well what about all the other gods? "They are all Krishna. Man sees G!d in different ways at different times, G!d has many aspects. To my mother I am her son, to my son I am his father, my sister calls me brother and my niece calls me uncle, they all see me in different ways and call me different names but I am still me"

Then there was one that is still quite vivid. I walk into the temple. And the administrator says, "Oh you are finally here, we expected you one half hour ago. Please bring him (the priest) right back when you are done, we have much prayers tonight (Gilgamesh's birthday). He's over there"

I look to this crowd praying and chanting around a statue. In the middle of the crowd (whose backs are to me) there is half a dozen priests chanting and dancing (their backs to me) As I walk forward the crowd parts as one priest is dancing out backwards, as he reaches the perimeter of the crowd he begins a backwards jog for a number of steps coming straight towards me. When he is about 20 feet (6 meters) away from me he does a 180 turn and continues jogging straight at me and bows, "I have been praying while waiting, I am ready now"

Know the times I've had Bhuddist Monks and Hindu Priests in the same car, that is another whole set of stories...

wil;128148 mee said:
working inline with what the bible teaches is the way to go but many have been misled by manmade doctrine such as the trinity . so for me it is good to know that JW base all of their beliefs on what the bible teaches. my thoughts on God go along with what the bible says and that is in psalm 83;18 he is the most high . and the name JEHOVAH means HE CAUSES TO BECOME so there is great meaning in that name .

That people may know that you, whose name is Jehovah,
You alone are the Most High over all the earth. psalm 83;18 and yes he is the true God . manmade Gods mean nothing.

(Isaiah 42:8) “I am Jehovah. That is my name; and to no one else shall I give my own glory, neither my praise to graven images.

John 17:6 ;) If memory serves me well...

Mee.... You'll love this one I am sure you know it; John 17:3...
yes the sayings of Jesus to his father very important indeed .

This means everlasting life, their taking in knowledge of you, THE ONLY TRUE GOD and of the one whom you sent forth, Jesus Christ. 4 I have glorified you on the earth, having finished the work you have given me to do. 5 So now you, Father, glorify me alongside yourself with the glory that I had alongside you before the world was. JOHN 17;3-5 yes Jesus will be going back to heaven ,that is where he was before coming down to earth. he was with the TRUE GOD IN HEAVEN .
(Proverbs 8:22) “Jehovah himself produced me as the beginning of his way, the earliest of his achievements of long ago.

That is also my personal view, sometimes described as pantheism:

pan·the·ism (panÆth" izÅÃm), n.
1. the doctrine that God is the transcendent reality of which the material universe and human beings are only manifestations: it involves a denial of God's personality and expresses a tendency to identify God and nature.

2. any religious belief or philosophical doctrine that identifies God with the universe.

It is my understanding that only Hinduism (essential not popular) has this conception of God.

I genuinely feel there is a sublime truth in this, which becomes especially apparent when surrounded by a natural environment. Krishna describes it beatifully in the Bhagavad-Gita:

BG 9.4: By Me, in My unmanifested form, this entire universe is pervaded. All beings are in Me, but I am not in them.

BG 9.5: And yet everything that is created does not rest in Me. Behold My mystic opulence! Although I am the maintainer of all living entities and although I am everywhere, I am not a part of this cosmic manifestation, for My Self is the very source of creation.

BG 9.6: Understand that as the mighty wind, blowing everywhere, rests always in the sky, all created beings rest in Me.

http://vedabase.net/bg/9/en1

One difference from the dictionary definition that I would point out is that n Hinduism is doesn't neccessarily involve a denial of God's personality, as often both are offered simultaneously as two sides to the same coin.

Best Wishes,

I look to this crowd praying and chanting around a statue. In the middle of the crowd (whose backs are to me) there is half a dozen priests chanting and dancing (their backs to me) As I walk forward the crowd parts as one priest is dancing out backwards, as he reaches the perimeter of the crowd he begins a backwards jog for a number of steps coming straight towards me. When he is about 20 feet (6 meters) away from me he does a 180 turn and continues jogging straight at me and bows, "I have been praying while waiting, I am ready now"

Know the times I've had Bhuddist Monks and Hindu Priests in the same car, that is another whole set of stories...

This all sounds very familiar Wil, Lol!

As for Buddhist & Hindu monks in the same car - now I bet that was interesting. You'll have to share it with us sometime.

Namaste,

I genuinely feel there is a sublime truth in this, which becomes especially apparent when surrounded by a natural environment. Krishna describes it beatifully in the Bhagavad-Gita:

BG 9.4: By Me, in My unmanifested form, this entire universe is pervaded. All beings are in Me, but I am not in them.

BG 9.5: And yet everything that is created does not rest in Me. Behold My mystic opulence! Although I am the maintainer of all living entities and although I am everywhere, I am not a part of this cosmic manifestation, for My Self is the very source of creation.

BG 9.6: Understand that as the mighty wind, blowing everywhere, rests always in the sky, all created beings rest in Me.

http://vedabase.net/bg/9/en1

That is an especially nice translation of the Gita. My preferred translation among the many I have seen is by Shri Purohit Swami.

Like the one you have quoted from, it combines poetry with profundity.

yes, for a devotee, there is only one God... "his" or "her" God, a personal, individualistic God, but, beyond this, many other ppl speak of God too, and their God is different to mine, but not necessarily seperate... as there is the "personal" GOD, some ppl speculate that there may well be another kind of God, a bigger, all encompassing God, a God with a million trillion arms and hands and faces and colours and manifestations...

yes, for a devotee, there is only one God... "his" or "her" God, a personal, individualistic God, but, beyond this, many other ppl speak of God too, and their God is different to mine, but not necessarily seperate... as there is the "personal" GOD, some ppl speculate that there may well be another kind of God, a bigger, all encompassing God, a God with a million trillion arms and hands and faces and colours and manifestations...
Or as the bible tells us ,

That people may know that you, whose name is Jehovah,
You alone are the Most High over all the earth. psalm 83;18

(Isaiah 42:8) “I am Jehovah. That is my name; and to no one else shall I give my own glory, neither my praise to graven images.

(Exodus 32:8) They have turned aside in a hurry from the way I have commanded them to go. They have made a molten statue of a calf for themselves and keep bowing down to it and sacrificing to it and saying, ‘This is your God, O Israel, who led you up out of the land of Egypt.’”

people do allsorts of things dont they but the bible tells us just who the true God is .

He is wise in heart and strong in power.
Who can show stubbornness to him and come off uninjured?JOB 9;4

but every other religion or faith says that they know the gods true name. they are different and yet they are the same. but then, if they were the same would not that make all the differnet religions null and void.???

but every other religion or faith says that they know the gods true name. they are different and yet they are the same. but then, if they were the same would not that make all the differnet religions null and void.???
many religions have removed the true Gods name from the bible :eek: and that is not good especially when the true God Jehovah wants men to know his name . that is rebellion indeed . i wonder who those so called religions are really working for . God ,or the one in opposition to God . food for thought i would say . the kingJames bible used Jehovahs name in psalm 83;18 but the newer translation has removed the last trace of his name .:( in fact it has been removed many many times over ,it should be in there throughout the bible but it has been removed . i am glad to know that i am using a translation that has put the most holy name back where it rightly belongs in the first place . at least some translaters are interested in the truth of the bible .
Read the Bible Online

What makes it hard for us is that there can be no "definition" of God. To define is to draw a boundary, to limit. We need to define in order to have a concept, but God "by definition" has no limits or boundaries, therefore we cannot conceive of him.

This is why we can have no "graven images" since they seek to put him in a box of our own making. For the same reason we should not name him. Neither Jews nor Muslims name God. When we do so (and I include myself in this) we diminish him.

For Christians, the approach to God is mediated through Jesus. He was a historical person and we can get our heads round that. Other faiths have been mediated in other ways.

we should not name him. Neither Jews nor Muslims name God. .
but the bible tells us just the opposite to that , so it seems that the Jews were wrong to stop using his name , sticking to the holy scriptures means that we are not led along with all kinds of things that are in opposition to God.
It was not merely by chance that Jesus taught his followers to put God’s name first in their prayers. That name was clearly of crucial importance to him, since he mentioned it repeatedly in his own prayers. On one occasion when he was praying publicly to God, he was heard to say: “Father, glorify your name!” And God himself answered: “I have glorified it, and I will glorify it again.”—John 12:28, The Jerusalem Bible.

(Ezekiel 36:23) ‘And I shall certainly sanctify my great name, which was being profaned among the nations, which you profaned in the midst of them; and the nations will have to know that I am Jehovah,’ is the utterance of the Sovereign Lord Jehovah, ‘when I am sanctified among you before their eyes.

(Ezekiel 38:23) And I shall certainly magnify myself and sanctify myself and make myself known before the eyes of many nations; and they will have to know that I am Jehovah.’

“‘Our Father in the heavens, let your name be sanctified. Let your kingdom come. Let your will take place, as in heaven, also upon earth. matthew 6;9-10

The Illustrated Bible Dictionary (Volume 1, page 572) states the following: “A study of the word ‘name’ in the O[ld] T[estament] reveals how much it means in Hebrew. The name is no mere label, but is significant of the real personality of him to whom it belongs.”

The New International Dictionary of New Testament Theology (Volume 2, page 649) says: “One of the most fundamental and essential features of the biblical revelation is the fact that God is not without a name: he has a personal name, by which he can, and is to be, invoked.” Jesus certainly had that name in mind when he taught his followers to pray: “Our Father in the heavens, let your name be sanctified.”—Matthew 6:9.

In view of all of this, it is evidently important for us to know what God’s name is. Do you know God’s personal name?

Back