Story of Stuff

dauer

Reaction score
I got the link to this website on an e-mail list.

The Story of Stuff with Annie Leonard

As the website says:

From its extraction through sale, use and disposal, all the stuff in our lives affects communities at home and abroad, yet most of this is hidden from view. The Story of Stuff is a 20-minute, fast-paced, fact-filled look at the underside of our production and consumption patterns. The Story of Stuff exposes the connections between a huge number of environmental and social issues, and calls us together to create a more sustainable and just world. It'll teach you something, it'll make you laugh, and it just may change the way you look at all the stuff in your life forever

I really like the video. It's very informative. Yay capitalism.

--dauer

That's great. Informative, simple, cute. If I ever teach again, I'll use it instead of my non-animated power-points that said the same stuff. :D

I'll have to click around on the rest of the website. I think one of the biggest hurdles is that once interest is gained, there has to be lots of good resources and suggestions on how to get clothing, food, etc. from sustainable companies and how to build one's retirement in a sustainable manner rather than through investments that may harm the environment and other people.

p_o_o,

If you've got a big folder of URLs to different practical resources I'd appreciate some of the better ones.

Excellent message and presentation Dauer. Of course as a liberal and an environmentalist. I believe that this should be played for all middle school kids in the nation immediately.

flow....;)

Excellent message and presentation Dauer. Of course as a liberal and an environmentalist. I believe that this should be played for all middle school kids in the nation immediately.

flow....;)

I think the problem has a lot to do with the way the economy is run. But maybe 10 or 20 years of consumer folly and madness isn't too bad. It's all just an experiment. We don't always have to live like this, so I can see how spending and buying less will help put things back into balance. Too bad the next generation is unlikely to have the privileges we've got today. The fun is going to be over. We didn't hurt anyone did we?

p_o_o,

If you've got a big folder of URLs to different practical resources I'd appreciate some of the better ones.

I have a few- I'll try to find the right powerpoint in the next couple days. I'm working on some research for a book idea based around this (and a non-profit linked to it) but it's in the very beginning planning period. Give me about a year or two and I'll have a ton of stuff for you (and everyone)!

:D

Hi Salty...I'm afraid that at least indirectly, we did.

flow....:rolleyes:

Yeah just being sarcastic. It's good if things change . . . I don't like living in a world of envy and jealousy. I was broke two years ago and it is a while before I buy a new computer (well, I've got a bit more money now......). I don't really have much in my life (no iPod, CD player and I never even had a walkman). Yeah someone did buy me a cassette player once because I used to like listening to tapes. Well, actually, I was more interested in watching the little wheels spinning inside.:D Not that much into computer games, but I do have a few favourites and I stick to those. At this stage in my life I've been fairly frugal, but then again up until now I haven't really had to prove or impress much.:eek: I tend to stick to old technology for a while and often find I'm not keeping up with the times.

But things might change in the next few years. I didn't have much of a life until now lol. It's still a small life and may get slightly bigger, though maybe still more of the same size.

Not that I don't have ambition. I just don't need a big life. Not yet anyway. Gotta appreciate the small before we can appreciate the big.

Back